PDA

View Full Version : FTN opened the doors!

Hombre
03-12-2010, 05:34 AM
Now all donors get invites! Hope it helps the site survive.

I've gone ahead and given everyone who's donated at least 10 euro's an invite, and in some situations you received more than one if you went above and beyond. We're still evaluating the "donor perks" thread and will decide whether or not we want to go that route and update you on the status of that when we come to a final decision.

I will however continue to hand out invites to donors from here on, but please be aware that if you are caught abusing this privilege you and your inviter and invitees will suffer severe consequences.

Glitterstep
03-12-2010, 05:38 AM
I will however continue to hand out invites to donors from here on

FTN is soon gonna be filled with traders. :ermm:

Cabalo
03-12-2010, 05:46 AM
Let the requests and trading begin.

bitsman
03-12-2010, 06:20 AM
Good News :naughty:

RayJuniored
03-12-2010, 06:37 AM
Wow, I thought I'd never see the day.

cinephilia
03-12-2010, 07:33 AM
invites for donators only, as always... that's what i call invite selling. good job Brandon.

Quarterquack
03-12-2010, 07:45 AM
invites for donators only, as always... that's what i call invite selling. good job Brandon.

Less QQ, more PewPew. :shifty:

Cabalo
03-12-2010, 07:50 AM
I'd rather see him taking the money than those filthy invite sellers.
Hopefully this will decrease the trading value of those invites, and he'll be able to keep the site going.

th0r
03-12-2010, 08:15 AM
For the record, there is no donate-to-receive-an-invitation system at FTN. The staff there are still very strict about who gets an invite and who doesn't (especially this time around). Yes, traders lurking in the shadows may have received an invite for donating opportunistically (without actually contributing anything to the community), but that is a pretty common occurence in our BitTorrent world. And not everyone who donated received an invite; I donate regularly to FTN and did I receive an invite? No, and this is the same for a few of my friends who are ranked much higher and are more active on the tracker than I am.

As always, most of the account and invite traders will be sniffed out and have their accounts disabled; these traders will fade back into the shadows and the account and invite trade requests here will die.

The_Martinator
03-12-2010, 08:19 AM
I remember that I used to start threads like this one. Now I don't see the point. People who are looking for FTN shouldn't be looking for it just because invites were handed out.

I guess we all learn all the time, huh?

Glitterstep
03-12-2010, 09:55 AM

:lol:

For the record, there is no donate-to-receive-an-invitation system at FTN.

I will however continue to hand out invites to donors from here on

:w00t:

japadevil
03-12-2010, 10:54 AM
I earn my one days!:)

ElGatonPirata
03-12-2010, 11:19 AM
Gosh, by the thread title i though FTN was with open signups or something. :shutup: :D

cinephilia
03-12-2010, 11:44 AM
For the record, there is no donate-to-receive-an-invitation system at FTN.
yes there is since only donators get invites.
brandon perfectly knows that ftn invites are much coveted by his members and that many of them are willing to donate to have a chance of getting one.

not everyone who donated received an invite
not everyone who donated received an invite but there is one thing for sure: only donators receive invites... go figure.

smcewa11
03-12-2010, 12:08 PM
I read elsewhere that everyone who donated 10euros got an invite. Something to do with missing donation target recently. Is this not correct?

Di@monds
03-12-2010, 12:18 PM
yes there is since only donators get invites.
brandon perfectly knows that ftn invites are much coveted by his members and that many of them are willing to donate to have a chance of getting one.

not everyone who donated received an invite
not everyone who donated received an invite but there is one thing for sure: only donators receive invites... go figure.

one again, great logic th0r

cs101
03-12-2010, 12:26 PM
This news reminds me of SCT staff making hell of money by offering double upload and invites to donors and then within an instance running away leaving those innocent donors .. lets see when FTN do the same thing

Burnsy
03-12-2010, 12:44 PM
There's a lot of cynicism floating around here... maybe it's justified, maybe it's not...

How long has FTN been 'closed off' and how long have people been looking to get invited?

It could simply be a case of them looking for some fresh members and using existing, trusted member who have proven themselves over the piece as a way of inviting people they know. Surely this is better than just opening the doors to anyone joining up... and may also help to stem the flow of invites going to those 'collectors' who donate, get the invite, then trade it off or sell it or whatever.

I dunno Brandon, I dunno that much about FTN particularly, but from reading stuff he's posted in the past, and from reading various members of FTN chatting about the site and the community it doesn't really sit right thinking it would go the way of ScT... perhaps I'm wrong, but hey... what's the point of being so cynical and looking on the downside all the time?? :lol:

cinephilia
03-12-2010, 12:48 PM
as for me, i was just stating a fact - no cynicism intended.

Burnsy
03-12-2010, 12:55 PM
as for me, i was just stating a fact - no cynicism intended.

It wasn't directed at anyone it particular mate... just a general impression I suppose on the tone of the thread as a whole :)

I don't see why those who put as much time and effort into running a site shouldn't be helped out with the costs involved. Sure they won't be astronomical, but any site owner who values their site knows to keep what extra they may have been donated one month to the side, in case the costs aren't met the following month... perfectly reasonable imo.

If they want to offer an invite to those who donate, subject to whatever criteria then fair play.

In this day and age it seems to be more and more about site security and you can't blame those who are taking the risks for wanting to be careful :)

some1
03-12-2010, 12:57 PM
Let the requests and trading begin.

you are right

zepesca
03-12-2010, 03:32 PM
the search as started.

QPD
03-12-2010, 03:35 PM
Their site, Their rules...nobody's asking anybody to join!

Burnsy
03-12-2010, 03:40 PM

I know it's true... but I was wondering just how long it would take someone to quote the old favourite :lol:

gamer08
03-12-2010, 04:06 PM
HI
EVERY ONE SEE THE LAST news IN THE HOME PAGE

I SAW

I'll be honest and say that I was pretty worried that this was the beginning of the end,

EVERY ONE REMEMBER SCT (DOUBLE DONATED)
THEN CLOSE

FTN GET INVITE TO DONAR AND THE DONATION INCREASE
THEN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CAN FTN CLOSE

QPD
03-12-2010, 04:10 PM
anyhow..there is nothing you can do, so why are you screaming at us? :ermm:

QPD
03-12-2010, 04:11 PM

I know it's true... but I was wondering just how long it would take someone to quote the old favourite :lol:

I won...OMG i Won, yes yes yes, I WON !
:shutup:

facebu
03-12-2010, 04:14 PM
Let us wait and see

Frankly, if there is an invitation I would like to enter

pretend
03-12-2010, 04:15 PM
HI

I SAW

I'll be honest and say that I was pretty worried that this was the beginning of the end,

THEN CLOSE

THEN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CAN FTN CLOSE

Good job. Now you can go and delete your account.

The_Martinator
03-12-2010, 04:18 PM
What is this DONAR you talk about?

IdolEyes787
03-12-2010, 04:25 PM
HI

I SAW

THEN CLOSE

THEN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CAN FTN CLOSE

I 'm glad that FTN is opening it's doors so that others of your obvious insight and intelligence will be able to join.

QPD
03-12-2010, 04:28 PM
HI

I SAW

THEN CLOSE

THEN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CAN FTN CLOSE

I 'm glad that FTN is opening it's doors so that others of your obvious insight and intelligence will be able to join.

Did Cinephilia hacked your account here?Or do you live together?:naughty:

puckface
03-12-2010, 04:32 PM
Good, now more people will know how overrated this place is and they can get 15 announcements a week bugging them at the top of every page. We can now stop the FTN circle jerk.

IdolEyes787
03-12-2010, 04:35 PM
I read elsewhere that everyone who donated 10euros got an invite.

I read someplace that that a human is an immortal alien spirit that is trapped on Earth in a physical body.
I also read that Scarlett Johansson had anal sex with Benico Del Toro in an elevator.
Guess which one the three I find the most interesting and believable?

puckface
03-12-2010, 04:40 PM

I read someplace that that a human is an immortal alien spirit that is trapped on Earth in a physical body.
I also read that Scarlett Johansson had anal sex with Benico Del Toro in an elevator.

Benecio del Toro is the fucking man, so I think that one is the most believable.

QPD
03-12-2010, 04:41 PM
I donated...nothing happened.Move on!

sez
03-12-2010, 04:46 PM
The older you become,the wiser you at least try to be.The more you understand the internet,the more you know its all about SEO,affiliates,ads,stealers,spreaders,blackhats and anything that can make money.

I try not to be too critical these days.

anon
03-12-2010, 04:47 PM

THEN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CAN FTN CLOSE

Dude, turn your caps lock off. :dry:

QPD
03-12-2010, 04:48 PM

THEN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CAN FTN CLOSE

Dude, turn your caps lock off. :dry:
Let him scream anon if he feels like!:whistling

IdolEyes787
03-12-2010, 04:52 PM
Given the proclivity to capitalization and overstatement as well as the somewhat similar username to known dupe accounts I did a triple check to be sure it wasn't Austin36 .
Still might be of course but if it is at least he's getting better at lying.

anon
03-12-2010, 04:58 PM
Wasn't Austin obsessed with M-V? Is it FTN now?

antrax34130
03-12-2010, 05:36 PM
yes ftn has changed, and after it will be fsc and ...

Cabalo
03-12-2010, 05:40 PM
Wasn't Austin obsessed with M-V? Is it FTN now?

:noes: nah, BCG, because he loves ALL games.

anon
03-12-2010, 05:49 PM
My mistake, thanks for the correction. If he hadn't lost so much time making dupes here he'd probably have a BCG account by now. :lol:

zepesca
03-12-2010, 05:54 PM
itīs the gold run...eheh

antrax34130
03-12-2010, 06:05 PM
the final gold rush?:naughty:

1000possibleclaws
03-12-2010, 06:28 PM
What's the problem in giving incentives for donors? If someone invites a bad seed, staff will obviouslydo something about it.. whatever will keep the site running through this recession.

I remember that I used to start threads like this one. Now I don't see the point. People who are looking for FTN shouldn't be looking for it just because invites were handed out.

Because the right way to do it is through the same announcements via "private" invite forums :rolleyes:

waeldiab
03-12-2010, 06:43 PM
What's the problem in giving incentives for donors? If someone invites a bad seed, staff will obviouslydo something about it.. whatever will keep the site running through this recession.

Because the right way to do it is through the same announcements via "private" invite forums :rolleyes:

the best post i have seen on this topic :) well done m8 really well done. why we always thinking only in wrong way.why we are not thinking that site need money to keep running

hagckz0r
03-12-2010, 08:13 PM

Very well said TrueSounds, don't know why some cut their veins if FTN decides to reward those who donate with invites. After all they are ones that keep it alive. If they will invite bad seeds those will come upon their reputation. :rolleyes:

Villalltheway
03-12-2010, 08:18 PM
To be honest who cares most sites sell their invites, some even disguise it by selling upload credit.

7th
03-12-2010, 08:37 PM
btw, is the tracker even worthwhile the effort people do to get in?

or is it all about status?

karachidude
03-12-2010, 08:48 PM
I have heard FTN is faster and has much better retention,more secure than GFT,this is one of the reasons people want it

waeldiab
03-12-2010, 09:05 PM
I have heard FTN is faster and has much better retention,more secure than GFT,this is one of the reasons people want it

what GFT !!!!! there's no any compare between GFT & FTN

FTN is the best 4 sure

Tokeman
03-12-2010, 09:09 PM

If you're looking for a smaller site (for security or whatever) then its good. But at the end of the day, its just another tracker, with the typical tracker stuff on it.

karachidude
03-12-2010, 09:57 PM

what GFT !!!!! there's no any compare between GFT & FTN

FTN is the best 4 sure

GFT is rock solid dude,may not be as good,but in the same league,its a fantastic tracker ;)

Frankthetank1
03-12-2010, 10:18 PM
how much u gotta donate?

mrnobody
03-12-2010, 10:22 PM
i'm guessing $5 as usual :s

nothing, if they would bother hading out invites to non-donors too. I remember two christmas ago, they used to hand out invites upon request. Then they closed the request system and it has been $ to invite ever since.

FACE_TO_FACE
03-12-2010, 10:27 PM
good move for €€€

Artemis
03-12-2010, 10:28 PM

From the news announcement:

B has gone ahead and given everyone who has donated at least 10eu an invite and in some cases more than one. Staff will continue to evaluate
donor perks and give out invites, but those found abusing the privilege will be dealt with accordingly. As for the paranoia of the yelling poster,
donations are currently 19% ahead of costs so I don't think Brandon is buying a Lexus this month.

1000possibleclaws
03-12-2010, 10:29 PM

It's a great site. I don't know if it's worth the effort to get into, it depends on what you'd be doing with your time otherwise :P

nothing, if they would bother hading out invites to non-donors too.

Why should any regular user be entitled to invites though? They are riding on the bank of the consistent donors. I could see a con if they gave invites to any donor from now onwards, but ignored the site's consistent donors. But then again, it's just invites..

I wonder if the new invited users are getting invites, cause I see some are donating.T hat would be pushing the sketchiness, cause they have not had time to familiarize with the site, and I doubt they've even read the rules yet.

mrnobody
03-12-2010, 10:45 PM
Why should any regular user be entitled to invites though? They are riding on the bank of the consistent donors. I could see a con if they gave invites to any donor from now onwards, but ignored the site's consistent donors. But then again, it's just invites..

my point wasn't every good user should get an invite, although i suppose it came that way. I was rather trying to compare invite policy now w/ what it was 2 years ago.

I wonder if the new invited users are getting invites, cause I see some are donating.T hat would be pushing the sketchiness, cause they have not had time to familiarize with the site, and I doubt they've even read the rules yet.

i invited someone there, he donated and got an invite i think (can't say for sure). that was well a longg time ago.

bluju
03-12-2010, 11:15 PM
nothing, if they would bother hading out invites to non-donors too.
I'm pretty sure that they do, they just give them to donors first. I admit that they're treading a line, but they haven't crossed it yet. Given how solid they are, I'd be extremely surprised if they did. Comparing these guys to ScT is ridiculous, I think anyone who had both can testify to the glaring differences in personalities between the two. If anything, it gives them an opportunity to weed out douchebags, making room for some better users

sear
03-12-2010, 11:39 PM

fsc will never go P2L or P2I just isn't going to happen and if you think that you obviously know very little about how that site is run.

1000possibleclaws
03-12-2010, 11:48 PM

fsc will never go P2L or P2I just isn't going to happen and if you think that you obviously know very little about how that site is run.

Nope, they won't budge. Not even if load-times suffer worse than a ddos attack :P

Albo Da Kid
03-13-2010, 12:29 AM
FTN is soon gonna be filled with traders. :ermm:
OMG NOO!.....Lets pray to god that doesnt happen because traders are the death of torrent trackers....Especially in the security aspect of it

NOT

smcewa11
03-13-2010, 02:28 AM

From the news announcement:

B has gone ahead and given everyone who has donated at least 10eu an invite and in some cases more than one. Staff will continue to evaluate
donor perks and give out invites, but those found abusing the privilege will be dealt with accordingly. As for the paranoia of the yelling poster,
donations are currently 19% ahead of costs so I don't think Brandon is buying a Lexus this month.

Believable? IdolEyes787, get it right up you. :P

Interesting? Ok, the Scarlett Johansson had anal sex with Benico Del Toro one is a win for you. :lol:

Rart
03-13-2010, 02:39 AM
Funny thing is, some tens of thousands of people every year believe that "I read someplace that that a human is an immortal alien spirit that is trapped on Earth in a physical body" and are exploited by it everyday in order to milk the maximum amount of money out of them to fund a "religion".

It's called Scientology.

Tv Controls you
03-13-2010, 03:46 AM
Ftn did it to there selves by making their site so hard to get invites on, while having similar sites as GFT who have less strict invite rules.

There has only been one legitimate request so far on this forum, and all the guy is getting is referrals to GFT.
Mean while there are over 10 trades going on for an ftn invite.

Quarterquack
03-13-2010, 03:57 AM
Is trading really that much of an issue in FTN? I can see it accounting for a fair bit of new sign-ups, but most members are stingy with invites anyway, I couldn't expect a trader to last in there long with the huge deal of activity he must be displaying.

Tv Controls you
03-13-2010, 04:01 AM
Is trading really that much of an issue in FTN? I can see it accounting for a fair bit of new sign-ups, but most members are stingy with invites anyway, I couldn't expect a trader to last in there long with the huge deal of activity he must be displaying.

Traders a big deal?

I can't tell you the direct impact as I'm not a member there...
But how can you expect members that break the rules the second they join to be good members (trading invites).

There are 10 trading threads for 1 request thread on this site. That is a major problem for a large site like ftn.
And then on top of that, the one request thread is being referred to Gft lol... This is a problem...

Reputable members on this website should be offered an invite, just on the basis that the majority of invites being used belong to traders currently.

Quarterquack
03-13-2010, 04:10 AM
No, no. You misunderstood me. I'm the idealist on trackers always asking whether traders are getting the easy end of the stick or not. I was just wondering if it's actually as big a problem as people make it out to be when FTN is the tracker in question.

I always think that traders are a poison slowly killing a tracker from the inside; Examples: the situation with HDBits (with their stagnant activity, till invites are open) or when ScT shut down and the IRC was pure chaos under trading activity. But in this case, I just can't understand how the trading is such a big problem. It's not unheard of to hear people saying things like "There's currently only 30 FTN invites out there" and I seriously doubt those people are stupid enough to trade them away.

sear
03-13-2010, 05:50 AM

Nope, they won't budge. Not even if load-times suffer worse than a ddos attack :P

lol well I'd rather the site didn't load at all than it went P2I ;)

hagckz0r
03-13-2010, 06:24 AM
... and I'm sure its members would agree this...:unsure:

Lovestoned
03-13-2010, 09:39 AM
I guess he was left with no choice.. these few months they even had to dip into the backup funds..

dandyccc
03-13-2010, 09:41 AM
If I donate now, I do get an invite from ftn?

Lovestoned
03-13-2010, 09:45 AM
If I donate now, I do get an invite from ftn?

You used to have a good chance of getting an invite if you were a good user and have donated..

I guess they're just going to emphasise more on donation = invites just like the other trackers..

Weren't ScT invites buyable back then?

Heroo
03-13-2010, 01:19 PM
good bye FTN

puckface
03-13-2010, 01:42 PM
I guess he was left with no choice.. these few months they even had to dip into the backup funds..

hahaha, "backup funds"

zepesca
03-13-2010, 03:50 PM
why not, just open the doors and let the poors in...

Cabalo
03-13-2010, 04:20 PM
Weren't ScT invites buyable back then?

GFT sells their invites too.

Quarterquack
03-13-2010, 04:36 PM
GFT sells their invites too.

And yet, there are ways to obtain an invite without donating. I'm simply pointing this out. The same applied for ScT; while donating ensured you an invite, the staff always granted good members invites to bring in new blood. It wasn't unheard of that people who never donated were sitting on 10 ScT invites with no intention of giving any of them out.

The same applies to PTN (where I got an invite to use at my discretion just for a post); HDBits (where staff allow respected members to bring friends in, when the open invites was canceled, and continue to do so) etc. However, the problem here stems from the fact that FTN invites are donor exclusive.
______

That given; I don't understand what the big deal is. While one may think that helping the tracker out by in-swarm activity and/or forum contribution, basically being a monumental member, should be the judgmental factor on whether invite privileges should bestowed on him/her; it's simply a false belief. Donations help the tracker just as much as any other sort of activity, if not even more. A tracker selling invites is nothing out of the ordinary and it's just what the BT world has come to. Simple as that; deal with it.

Tv Controls you
03-13-2010, 05:16 PM
That given; I don't understand what the big deal is. While one may think that helping the tracker out by in-swarm activity and/or forum contribution, basically being a monumental member, should be the judgmental factor on whether invite privileges should bestowed on him/her; it's simply a false belief. Donations help the tracker just as much as any other sort of activity, if not even more. A tracker selling invites is nothing out of the ordinary and it's just what the BT world has come to. Simple as that; deal with it.

The big deal is that the site is getting ruined.

I blame this on all parties.

Traders: Your the reason this has gotten this bad, as there is almost no legitimate invites being put to use.

FTN: You shouldn't have given invites out to donors only, rather for a site that rare you should had staff go around a recruit (just one idea I came up with).

Legitimate users: Stop referring people that request ftn to gft. That is the poison that the traders thrive off of. Ftn needs legitimate members more than gft does at this point in time. We must adjust to bad decisions trackers make and as a community try to fix them.

Burnsy
03-13-2010, 05:35 PM
The big deal is that the site is getting ruined.

I blame this on all parties.

How can you justifiably say that the site is getting ruined? Weren't the invites only given out yesterday? I fail to see how the site could have been ruined in that short space of time.

As has been previously mentioned, what's the harm in giving donors, effectively those who keep the site running financially, an incentive in so far as allowing them to invite someone they should hopefully know to join the tracker/community?

No-one is daft enough to think that it will ONLY be good users who are now able to join FTN, everyone knows there will be traders etc managing to find their way there now, but wasn't that always the case? Admittedly it may be slightly easier for them to do so now, but would I be wrong in thinking that the vast majority of those who do this are simply collecting and will eventually fade away anyway if it doesn't suit them anyway?

The way you seem to be talking just now, it will only be bad users, or traders, or whatever else that joins up... what abut the new members who actually WILL be good for the community/tracker? Why not focus on those? :)

Albo Da Kid
03-13-2010, 08:14 PM
FTN: You shouldn't have given invites out to donors only, rather for a site that rare you should had staff go around a recruit (just one idea I came up with).

Non-donors are not the ones putting food on their table. Donors are and they have to keep doing whatever it takes to make them donate.

Quarterquack
03-13-2010, 08:22 PM
In most cases the repeat donors that keep a tracker alive do so because they like the place, not because they are expecting perks out of it. In simpler terms, putting more incentives out for donors will only increase the amount of donors not the amount of donations from the current donors.

karachidude
03-13-2010, 08:23 PM
Legitimate users: Stop referring people that request ftn to gft. That is the poison that the traders thrive off of. Ftn needs legitimate members more than gft does at this point in time. We must adjust to bad decisions trackers make and as a community try to fix them.

i agree :)

Tv Controls you
03-13-2010, 08:46 PM
Non-donors are not the ones putting food on their table. Donors are and they have to keep doing whatever it takes to make them donate.

I strongly disagree, seeders are the ones putting food on the table.
Seeding is the best donation you can ever give to the BT community. I personally only donate when I really like how a tracker is ran.

Burnsy
03-13-2010, 09:12 PM
Seeding is the best donation you can ever give to the BT community. I personally only donate when I really like how a tracker is ran.

Do you think hosting companies would allow their servers to be used for free as long as the site that was ran from it was well seeded? (legal technicalities aside :lol:)

I fully agree that members seeding torrents and keeping them alive is essential to a site in order for their torrents to stay alive... but don't you think it's more important to actually be able to afford the hardware to run your site first?

I'm the same as you in that I'll only donate if I enjoy how the site is ran, and offers something that little bit different from the countless others that are available, but at the end of the day I think myself that it's the donators who initially keep the site alive for those seeders to even exist and build their ratio's on...

hagckz0r
03-13-2010, 09:14 PM
@Burnsy... well explained.. simple logic :D

gamesover
03-13-2010, 09:16 PM
I was quickly looking over the trade section here and it seems most of the threads with FTN in the topic title are still people looking for FTN. That probably won't change much even with this new invite policy. Legitimate traders that got invites will still look for equal value (meaning high value) or look to get back something impossible for it. Therefore the invites will still be very valuable and hard to obtain for most traders.

Sure there will be a natural surge in trading activity but it will die down gradually as some of the traders get caught and others lose interest. FTN is still a small tracker which makes it easy to see who's coming and going.

Quarterquack
03-13-2010, 09:18 PM
To explain Burnsy's message in one line:

A tracker can remain alive with no seeders, but it can't without the donors. :)

Tv Controls you
03-13-2010, 09:58 PM
but don't you think it's more important to actually be able to afford the hardware to run your site first?

I don't think that is the member's problem.

I donate because I like how a website is ran... Not because I want to make sure the server bill is payed by the end of the month.
You shouldn't create a tracker with the assumption that the bill will be payed in donations every month...

In addition I pay dearly for my internet bill every month, so I find it highly offensive that you regard seeding as a lesser to donors.
Matter of fact if your a seeder, you are a donor. Your using your bandwidth which is money in today's world.

I could use a 56k modem and donate 5 dollars a month and save tons of of money. But I am more concerned about people receiving their files.

ugk4life
03-13-2010, 10:15 PM
who cares if they trade... wah, wah!

IdolEyes787
03-13-2010, 10:19 PM
Then along those truly insightful and compassionate lines who cares what you think ?

Burnsy
03-13-2010, 10:21 PM

Yep... precisely :lol:

but don't you think it's more important to actually be able to afford the hardware to run your site first?

I donate because I like how a website is ran... Not because I want to make sure the server bill is payed by the end of the month.
You shouldn't create a tracker with the assumption that the bill will be payed in donations every month...

In addition I pay dearly for my internet bill every month, so I find it highly offensive that you regard seeding as a lesser to donors.
Matter of fact if your a seeder, you are a donor. Your using your bandwidth which is money in today's world.

I could use a 56k modem and donate 5 dollars a month and save tons of of money. But I am more concerned about people receiving their files.

I think you may be missing my point a little...

I'm not saying seeders efforts are any lesser in value towards the site than those who donate financially to the running costs, I fully acknowledge seeders are effectively the life blood of the the tracker in so far as they NEED to be there to share files...

The point I was making, as ringhunter so eloquently put it, was that there would be nowhere to seed if the finances weren't in place to afford the hosting.

I understand what you say about not starting a tracker if you can't afford it, and about not having to rely on donations each month, and I fully agree with you, however... as a trackers success grows, and member base becomes bigger etc, then doesn't it make sense that eventually upgrades would be required to cope with increasing demands? Possibly outwith what the Site Owner initially was able to afford... and I think this is where donations become important, hence my belief that there's nothing wrong with offering an additional incentive to those offering money to the running costs :)

1000possibleclaws
03-13-2010, 11:03 PM

Naw B. Seeding is what normal users do, it's what you're expected to do if you're using private trackers. Donations are what keep this service going.

Tv Controls you
03-13-2010, 11:04 PM
you missed my point.

Your sadly mistaken if you believe that its the members job to pay for the server bill.

Burnsy
03-13-2010, 11:15 PM
you missed my point.

Your sadly mistaken if you believe that its the members job to pay for the server bill.

I didn't say that and in fact acknowledged it wasn't... I think we'll agree to disagree

I understand what you say about not starting a tracker if you can't afford it, and about not having to rely on donations each month, and I fully agree with you

What part of that states that members should pay for the servers?

I went on to mention that as a site grow and costs increase then it's acceptable to need some donations every now and again and there was nothing wrong with rewarding those willing to help out...

as a trackers success grows, and member base becomes bigger etc, then doesn't it make sense that eventually upgrades would be required to cope with increasing demands? Possibly outwith what the Site Owner initially was able to afford... and I think this is where donations become important, hence my belief that there's nothing wrong with offering an additional incentive to those offering money to the running costs :)

I didn't miss your point at all... and I'm not sadly mistaken...

If all your interested in is a tracker, then yeah... seed on and do no more... seeding is a requirement... you're not doing anyone any favours by doing what you're supposed to, you'd be disabled if you didn't.

If what you enjoy is the sense of community, then not being able to afford server fees becomes everyone's problem...

1000possibleclaws
03-13-2010, 11:19 PM
you missed my point.

I don't believe it's a user's job, I for one do not donate to trackers very often. That's why I think if anyone should be rewarded, it should be them.

edit: I would probably agree with you go 2 years ago, when I actually cared about invites, and inviting people. If FTN gave me an invite now, I would probably toss it to a RL friend who wouldn't care too much for it. I wouldn't care much for inviting a RL friend either. Inviting people has lost its charm.

About seeding, it's just a matter of leaving it in your client for awhile, which with happen naturally for most users, because your average person doesn't watch/install all their warez the moment they download it. Yeah sure, give everybody invites for what they naturally do. I wouldn't care if FTN did that either, except I actually would, because that would mean >1000 new users which might destroy the no ratio economy that FTN has.

Tv Controls you
03-13-2010, 11:20 PM
That is exactly where you are wrong.

Seeding is doing a favor, because it helps people retrieve their files.
Just because seeding is expected doesn't devalue it's cost.

*ps truesounds I was talking about burnsy in this post and my last.

Burnsy
03-13-2010, 11:29 PM
That is exactly where you are wrong.

Seeding is doing a favor, because it helps people retrieve their files.
Just because seeding is expected doesn't devalue it's cost.

How can I be wrong when I have already acknowledged these exact points in my earlier posts? :blink:

I'm not saying seeders efforts are any lesser in value towards the site than those who donate financially to the running costs, I fully acknowledge seeders are effectively the life blood of the the tracker in so far as they NEED to be there to share files

Are you even reading what I'm posting? :P

My point is... there's nothing wrong with rewarding those who want to donate financially and offer a little extra, remember... they're seeding too from either seedboxes or the same home connection as you with their own ISP charges too...

And your comment about it not being a members problem... well I agree and disagree with you, as stated in my last post...

If all you're after is a tracker then there are thousand's to choose from and it's not your problem if the bills don't get paid...

If you feel as though you belong to the community there, and the tracker is only secondary to why you use the site, then I'm afraid not being able to pay the fee is everybody's problem. Sure it might not be your fault there's no money to pay... but the community's still going to disappear regardless :)

Tv Controls you
03-13-2010, 11:53 PM
seeding is a requirement... you're not doing anyone any favours by doing what you're supposed to

I'll just let your own statement soak in as you don't seem to understand your own words.

You have acknowledged seeding is a favor by stating that it isn't a favor, but rather it is just expected.....

How can I be wrong when I have already acknowledged these exact points in my earlier posts?

Awaiting your response in which you misconstrue every single word in your statements to have an alternative meaning.

Quarterquack
03-13-2010, 11:58 PM
Just to throw this in: There's a difference between seeding, and seeding. The latter involves being the last seed on a 500-day old torrent. Trackers can only become "amazing" when they have a stellar retention, and a good seeder is one who can provide his bandwidth regardless of the longevity of the torrent's luster.

I have never been a good seeder, I have never had a "Torrent finished: 1 year ago" message, but I do keep a 2-month long average seed time on all my trackers regardless. That's still nothing compared to me trying to grab a torrent from BMTV that was uploaded 3 years ago, and still getting 4 seeds on it. I felt like pointing that out.

A tracker like GFT is great, but it always suffers from retention (whether server crash/stability optimization or not). It's one of my main gripes with it.

That's the difference between seeding, and seeding.

mrnobody
03-14-2010, 12:08 AM
0-day tracker isn't meant for retention though. Vast majority of scene releases are use and throw stuff.

Quarterquack
03-14-2010, 12:17 AM
0-day tracker isn't meant for retention though. Vast majority of scene releases are use and throw stuff.

I perfectly understand that, but you have to admit that it gets annoying not finding content that was only pre'd 6 months prior to you searching.

Look for a certain pattern in all the trackers that are called "the best" in their line of releases. Their oldest torrents are 3+ years old, with seeders still on it. There's no doubt that a proper retention is required of any tracker, even the biggest scene ones like SCC/TL etc.

Burnsy
03-14-2010, 12:21 AM
I'll just let your own statement soak in as you don't seem to understand your own words.

You have acknowledged seeding is a favor by stating that it isn't a favor, but rather it is just expected.....

What?! :blink:

I'm afraid we have very different definitions of a favour then. You seem to perceive that by doing simply what your supposed to do, and what everyone else is doing, as you actually doing someone a favour... I'd say that you are simply meeting an expectation, and by the very definition of being a seeder, you are meeting a requirement, are you not?

Going over and above what you were supposed to do... I would call THAT doing someone a favour... however, this convo has totally digressed now from the original point and starting to go off on a complete tangent.

I've not twisted or misconstrued any statement, I've agreed with you on some points, not on others, and have offered explanations as to why my opinions differed... I'm now at the stage where I have no idea what you're on about, and at this time of night I'm not really that fussed about that :lol:

Now twist, turn, rearrange and use those comments in whatever text you want to because at the end of the day your entitled to your opinion, just as I'm entitled to mine... we don't agree, fair enough... shit happens :)

Tv Controls you
03-14-2010, 12:30 AM
What?! :blink:

I'm afraid we have very different definitions of a favour then. You seem to perceive that by doing simply what your supposed to do, and what everyone else is doing, as you actually doing someone a favour... I'd say that you are simply meeting an expectation, and by the very definition of being a seeder, you are meeting a requirement, are you not?

Going over and above what you were supposed to do... I would call THAT doing someone a favour... however, this convo has totally digressed now from the original point and starting to go off on a complete tangent.

I've not twisted or misconstrued any statement, I've agreed with you on some points, not on others, and have offered explanations as to why my opinions differed... I'm now at the stage where I have no idea what you're on about, and at this time of night I'm not really that fussed about that :lol:

Now twist, turn, rearrange and use those comments in whatever text you want to because at the end of the day your entitled to your opinion, just as I'm entitled to mine... we don't agree, fair enough... shit happens :)

My 2 main points I'm trying to convey to you are:

1) seeding is a form of donation
2) Seeding is a "favor"

Just an example for you:
I have nearly 400 waffles torrents seeding right now in my utorrent. Alot of them only have 1 other seeder, and many have me as the only seeder.
This is a favor, I have nearly a 9.0 ratio on waffles and could easily delete all my torrents. But I care more about people being able to get their music.

That is truly a favor I believe, as I have gone way past the requirements that the tracker requires.
Further more I want absolutely nothing in return for this other than knowing that the other user got his files.

Burnsy
03-14-2010, 12:40 AM
My 2 main points I'm trying to convey to you are:

1) seeding is a form of donation
2) Seeding is a "favor"

Just an example for you:
I have nearly 400 waffles torrents seeding right now in my utorrent. Alot of them only have 1 other seeder, and many have me as the only seeder.

This is a favor, I have nearly a 9.0 ratio on waffles and could easily delete all my torrents. But I care more about people being able to get their music.

1) In a roundabout way, you're right, it is and I've acknowledged that without seeders a tracker couldn't run. My point in that respect was that everybody has to seed, donator or not, therefore I considered a donator as someone doing a little bit more than than was required/expected (or whatever turn of phrase you want to use).

That's why I said I didn't see anything wrong with some sort of extra incentive for doing what everyone else was doing and more...

2) I don't agree, sorry. Seeding is following the rules, meeting a requirement set down by the board staff, and if you don't meet them you are generally reprimanded in some way... a warning... download rights removed... warned, or something. Going by your logic, and by seeding what you're required to do, it sounds like you are doing them a favour just by following their rules :unsure:

400 torrents on Waffles? Now that's something impressive... and imho something like that along with an account kept in good standing should be recognised and/or rewarded... whether by userclass or something else, invites or whatever... nice one... but I still think we should agree to disagree on the whole 'favour' issue, coz we're never gonna see eye to eye on it :lol:

Quarterquack
03-14-2010, 12:44 AM
I still think we should agree to disagree on the whole 'favour' issue, coz we're never gonna see eye to eye on it :lol:

Simply because you both define "seeding" in a different way.

TV defines it as going the full way, and sharing to the extreme. In that regard, he is truly doing a favor by keeping the torrents alive when nobody else will.

You on the other hand are probably talking about seeding minimum requirements, which you do not see as a favor at all, because they really are not, and are required by just about everyone.

TV goes above and beyond the requirements, which is why he calls it a favor.

That's the way I see it.

Tv Controls you
03-14-2010, 12:45 AM
but I still think we should agree to disagree on the whole 'favour' issue, coz we're never gonna see eye to eye on it

Lol it would appear so, But I'm really trying to get you to agree.
Let me put a more extreme scenario into view....

For my holy communion we had to do 12 hours of community service total. I went around helping the church and elderly people for 12 hours.
It was required, but at the same time was a doing a favor?

Bt world:
Its required to go 24 hours or 1:1 ratio, but is going beyond that a favor?
I believe it is a favor for both.

cinephilia
03-14-2010, 12:54 AM

if we want to go further, no long-time seeders/uploaders means no donors...

mrnobody
03-14-2010, 12:58 AM

I perfectly understand that, but you have to admit that it gets annoying not finding content that was only pre'd 6 months prior to you searching.

Look for a certain pattern in all the trackers that are called "the best" in their line of releases. Their oldest torrents are 3+ years old, with seeders still on it. There's no doubt that a proper retention is required of any tracker, even the biggest scene ones like SCC/TL etc.

bmost of "the best" torrent tracker in terms of content are those with big userbase. big userbase in private tracker usually implies retention. you have a whole lot of people snatching new torrents. then you have a lot of people snatching old torrents once in a while.

vs. small tracker where max snatch is usually like 400 or so...and seeders on old torrents give up b/c noone leeches (that's what they say at least >.<)

if you want to see old 0-day stuff (in small 0-day tracker) that was pre'ed like 6 months ago use request section (if they have any).

Quarterquack
03-14-2010, 01:09 AM

No donors means no tracker to seed/upload on.

Chicken/egg, pretty much.

1000possibleclaws
03-14-2010, 01:20 AM
If TVcontrolyou is talking strictly dedicated trackers, then I see his point. Seeding a shitload of music torrents is way more helpful than donating a few dollars, or auto-ing all 2010 FLAC/v0 releases on kimsufi's.

On 0day sites, seeding for a long time isn't really that important. If it is any trouble or bother to you, you're probably better off deleting the torrent and saving yourself the grief than letting it idle in your client to be a statistic on the tracker. As long as a torrent gets snatches it will live. When snatches die off, it's not really crucial to 'archive' it. (0day ≠ general)

ugk4life
03-14-2010, 01:24 AM
Then along those truly insightful and compassionate lines who cares what you think ?

obviously u!

IdolEyes787
03-14-2010, 04:27 AM
U isn't a word.If you mean the letter then although I can't really speak for it I think it's safe to assume that it too doesn't give a fuck.

Tv Controls you
03-14-2010, 04:36 AM
I didn't even see his post. That's how much of a fuck I gave lol.

cinephilia
03-14-2010, 11:48 AM

No donors means no tracker to seed/upload on.

Chicken/egg, pretty much.
but a tracker needs dedicated members in the first place to make people donate, is that so hard to understand for you?

Di@monds
03-14-2010, 12:47 PM
chicken or egg?

QPD
03-14-2010, 01:29 PM
the duck !

zonta
03-14-2010, 01:52 PM
cat and dog

Quarterquack
03-14-2010, 02:49 PM
but a tracker needs dedicated members in the first place to make people donate, is that so hard to understand for you?

People donate regardless, just as people seed regardless of other aspects of the tracker. I find annoying staff, I stay the hell on the tracker side of things, and I might even donate considering they're offering me a service I can't find elsewhere. At that point it doesn't really matter what I think of other people's seeding habits, I'm just happy I'm getting my content fix.

Same thing goes for seeders. Some people find it an obligation, and even if the tracker is close to dying due to low donations, they will continue seeding so that they can say they tried helping the place out till the end.

Trying to relate the success of both seeding and donations simultaneously is completely wrong, since the lack of one does not mean the lack of the other. You're better off with the argument that without the seeders (which is an impossible concept...) a tracker would quickly wither and become useless.

For a better explanation; without donors tracker staff say "Donate or tracker will die... 1111!" but without seeders tracker staff will say "No hit and runs or you will be bum-raped by our banhammer."

cinephilia
03-14-2010, 03:12 PM
let's put it another way:

staff = coding, implementing new features, improving the site and running the tracker.
members = content, retention, community = the backbone of the site and the tracker's soul

my point is that members are what makes a tracker better than another random one, more than staff or anything else.
i've seen countless trackers with good staff, great layout and features dying because a lack of dedicated members.

people don't donate just to please staff nor because they like the site design.

Quarterquack
03-14-2010, 03:25 PM
i've seen countless trackers with good staff, great layout and features dying because a lack of dedicated members.

I wholeheartedly agree with you. I've seen the same, and I understand its necessity. However, nowadays there are ways over transient dedication to the tracker. A review up on FSF, a neat-o design and there's a ton of sheep at the tracker's doorstep. For example, a lot of people joined BTN based on just that one review, without knowing any other information.

As for the donations comment, you'd be surprised. Personally, I donate to any place I visit and like, just because it would be a shame if it died and I stopped enjoying my time there. I have no problems/gripes attempting to pay the whole server bill alone if I have to (depends on the size of the place...); however, others out there will donate just to get a "VIP" beside their name, or just to see the gratitude, believe it or not.

This goes back to the age old, herd anagram. A shit company releases a shit game, (IW; MW2) people still buy it. A shit tracker with shit material will still get donations from members for the same reason people donate for upload GB's on a ratio free tracker.

adrenalin
03-14-2010, 04:16 PM
seems many users'll join this site.. good luck!
what content has this FTN? porn?:D

anon
03-14-2010, 04:22 PM
what content has this FTN?

http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/what-trackers-offer/

You should really check that if you have such questions, a lot of forums (including mine) don't have such a wonderful addon.

Shlesers
03-14-2010, 07:51 PM
what content has this FTN?

http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/what-trackers-offer/

You should really check that if you have such questions, a lot of forums (including mine) don't have such a wonderful addon.

Review is bit outdated but there are some other reviews on the net, try using google :mellow:

VinX
03-14-2010, 08:46 PM
well . dont bother traders ... invites will still be scarce .. so dont even try ;)

ugk4life
03-14-2010, 11:21 PM
U isn't a word.If you mean the letter then although I can't really speak for it I think it's safe to assume that it too doesn't give a fuck.

good job, did mommy and daddy tell u that u is a letter? maybe they should also explain to u that this is the internet, not english 101. i guess "u" already knew that!

Quarterquack
03-14-2010, 11:42 PM
good job, did mommy and daddy tell u that u is a letter? maybe they should also explain to u that this is the internet, not english 101. i guess "u" already knew that!

Shut up before you make yourself look any more idiotic than you already have. :-/

puckface
03-14-2010, 11:47 PM

Now you just look like you're 13 years old, which if you are, that's fine. If you aren't, congratulations you've managed to turn back time.

Tv Controls you
03-15-2010, 02:28 AM

UGk first off Ugk is trash and the Houston Texans are garbage. (now that I got that out of my system)

No one gives a "fuck" about your statement because it was just pointless and offered nothing to this thread.
You made a 3 word post being pro trader and then accepted positive feedback?

I mean I didn't expect much from a leecher and trader such as your self, but grow up.
And to think this guy claims to have a wife lol.

IdolEyes787
03-15-2010, 02:40 AM

My parents ,sadly,are both deceased but if they were alive and read your comment they would probably ask me why the annoying young man doesn't know enough to capitalize his sentences.
And in that hypothetical case I might respond and say " it's OK it's the internet and so the rules of grammar don't apply " but then they ( God rest their souls) would probably just ( hypothetically ) look at me and say " That's noble dear attempting to make excuses for the retarded boy ".

"english 101 " classic.

Intr4ns1t
03-15-2010, 03:44 AM
let's put it another way:

staff = coding, implementing new features, improving the site and running the tracker.
members = content, retention, community = the backbone of the site and the tracker's soul

my point is that members are what makes a tracker better than another random one, more than staff or anything else.

I think this is one of the best summations of a successful tracker that I have seen in quite a while. It's cut and dried, to the point, and in my experience, on the money(hyuk hyuk hyuk :P )

As far as the subject of the thread, I think it's nice that they decided, retroactively, to give the donors that stepped up, with no promise of reward, a reward. I am a bit perplexed about the animosity over the decision to change their invite policy to something not really that much different than the pre-existing policy, but I guess I'm just easily confused.

Tv Controls you
03-15-2010, 04:04 AM
I am a bit perplexed about the animosity over the decision to change their invite policy to something not really that much different than the pre-existing policy, but I guess I'm just easily confused.

Name one legitimate member that was invited through this donor invite session.

Even if you come up with one name , I can assure you there are 10 traders that got in for that 1 legit user.

Intr4ns1t
03-15-2010, 05:08 AM
I am a bit perplexed about the animosity over the decision to change their invite policy to something not really that much different than the pre-existing policy, but I guess I'm just easily confused.

Name one legitimate member that was invited through this donor invite session.

Even if you come up with one name , I can assure you there are 10 traders that got in for that 1 legit user.

I would, but I respect those people's privacy enough not to go blurting their name out on FST, but I do in fact know a couple people that I trust implicitly that got in as a direct result of this latest move. You seem to be working under the assumption that the only people that donate there are traders. I think that is poppycock, if you'll excuse my tawdry language, and a sign more of your own personal paranoia, not what is really going on.

The point of that statement was that I don't really see how this is a dramatic change from the existing policy, nothing more.

Tv Controls you
03-15-2010, 10:41 AM
Since you support this new invite policy could you please explain why there is one giveaway/request thread for 10 trade threads? And why is this so wonderful?

cinephilia
03-15-2010, 12:38 PM
could you please explain why there is one giveaway/request thread for 10 trade threads?
but those trades are rarely successful and i'm pretty sure most of them are actually scam.

Tv Controls you
03-15-2010, 01:23 PM
but those trades are rarely successful and i'm pretty sure most of them are actually scam.

Requests/giveaways are rarely successful also.

IdolEyes787
03-15-2010, 01:25 PM
Yes but for entirely different reasons.

Tv Controls you
03-15-2010, 01:27 PM
Yes but for entirely different reasons.

Yes trading/giveaways/requests all have a high failure rate for ftn.

But the fact still remains that their are 10 trades for 1 request right now.

Intr4ns1t could you explain this to me? Because I don't see anything wonderful about those stats.

IdolEyes787
03-15-2010, 01:40 PM
You are misinterpreting the data.Hardly anyone is newbish enough to think that an ill-conceived request on some dubious internet invite board will get them into FTN hence few if any requests.
On the other hand as been stated many,many times FST remains a preeminent haven for trading in a climate where such places are becoming increasingly rare so obviously anyone of that ilk with a FTN invite to offer( or wanting one) is probably going to ( unfortunately) try their luck here.

Tv Controls you
03-15-2010, 01:42 PM
You are misinterpreting the data.Hardly anyone is newbish enough to think that an ill-conceived request on some dubious internet invite board will get them into FTN hence few if any requests.
On the other hand as been stated many,many times FST remains a preeminent haven for trading in a climate where such places are becoming increasingly rare so obviously anyone of that ilk with a FTN invite to offer( or wanting one) is probably going to ( unfortunately) try their luck here.

Exactly, thank you.

It is easier currently for traders to get into ftn, then legitmate users.

IdolEyes787
03-15-2010, 01:44 PM
It's the same misinterpretation of data that is in part to blame for this place's ( sometimes) bad reputation.
The bad is apparent even to the most congenitally stupid while sometimes seeing the good requires a bit more effort.

Exactly, thank you.

It is easier currently for traders to get into ftn, then legitmate users.

Congratulations you have just,in brief (applicable to any site) , given the reason behind most trading.
The only reason that some people do and some people don't is ethics not economy of effort.

Tv Controls you
03-15-2010, 01:49 PM
Yes idol but this isn't like any other site which is the point I'm trying to make.

It's more difficult for a legitimate member to get into Ftn as compared to other sites, where as the ease still exists for traders.

This is in return going to attract a majority of poor members, which will trade for their way in.

IdolEyes787
03-15-2010, 02:26 PM
No it's "easier" for someone that doesn't trade to gain admittance to FTN than someone who does.
One only requiring someone to like them and have a bit of confidence in them while the other requiring a bunch of wheeling and dealing and if successful I'm sure never a truly relaxed moment being constantly worried that they might be found out and unceremoniously truffed ( which I know for a fact most are btw).
All to get into a friggin' bt tracker that , correct me if I'm mistaken, is remarkably like countless other ones out there.

On the other hand if it's someone's "goal' to get into FTN then you are probably right that trading is the surest route but then again if it's someone's "goal "to get into FTN( or any tracker that has dozens of doppelgangers containing near identical content), then in my opinion at least ,they are already a lost cause.

sear
03-15-2010, 04:47 PM
why are they a legitimate user because they've made a request? I would think that most people with an invite wouldn't be wasting it on someone they don't know (I would hope anyway) and would instead give it to their friend who might enjoy the site.

BABBY
03-15-2010, 05:24 PM
why are they a legitimate user because they've made a request? I would think that most people with an invite wouldn't be wasting it on someone they don't know (I would hope anyway) and would instead give it to their friend who might enjoy the site.

i fully agree with u

more over i think people who have invite of FTN, are all very selective in whom they select to give the invites.
and when we are very selective in giving invites, we loose those people who would really make a good stand at such prestigious sites.
I have myself been very selective in giving invites of some high level trackers and i have found that when we are extra cautious then we loose good users and land up nowhere.
anyway this is a general human mentality and i am not an exception ;)
cautiousness during handing out such invites is surely a must.
But extra cautiousness proves to be a problem at times.

VinX
03-15-2010, 07:02 PM
i fully agree with u

more over i think people who have invite of FTN, are all very selective in whom they select to give the invites.
and when we are very selective in giving invites, we loose those people who would really make a good stand at such prestigious sites.
I have myself been very selective in giving invites of some high level trackers and i have found that when we are extra cautious then we loose good users and land up nowhere.
anyway this is a general human mentality and i am not an exception ;)
cautiousness during handing out such invites is surely a must.
But extra cautiousness proves to be a problem at times.

i didnt see your signature ...

Tv Controls you
03-15-2010, 07:47 PM
No it's "easier" for someone that doesn't trade to gain admittance to FTN than someone who does.

Idol do you think a member would have more chance of getting into ftn if:

1) they put up a legitimate request on the giveaway forums.

or

2) Traded some high level trackers, and some laundered money through seed boxes for an ftn invite.

IdolEyes787
03-15-2010, 09:16 PM
You are neglecting the second part of that post or unfortunately totally missing the point.
Getting into FTN is essentially no easier or harder than any other place ,either someone invites you or they don't.True in the case of FTN they are is a smaller userbase and therefore ( probably) fewer available invites but it's more about your perceived "need " than actual difficulty .

Intr4ns1t
03-15-2010, 11:36 PM
Since you support this new invite policy could you please explain why there is one giveaway/request thread for 10 trade threads? And why is this so wonderful?

For the record, I'm actually pretty indifferent to the new invite policy. Because, as I've stated twice already it's not really that different than the last invite policy, in my opinion. The likelihood of getting an invite to FTN through either a trade or a request on a forum are pretty neglible in my further opinion, so I don't really see how this could possibly change the status quo in any noticeable way.

Wonderful or not, it's the way it is, and I don't see this as any kind of profit driven move at all, so I don't really think it's worth a crusade over. If anything, it frustrates me that people automatically jump to assumptions like that about the motives of well established members of the community that have sacrificed a lot of their free time and personal lives to keep a place for people that really enjoy this hobby.

Tv Controls you
03-16-2010, 12:02 AM
It frustrates me when someone doesn't answer a question.

Intr4ns1t
03-16-2010, 12:06 AM
I didn't answer it because it was answered by others, just as well, and probably better than I would answer it, already in this thread.

ca_aok
03-16-2010, 01:19 AM
I love how "opening the doors" ends up being an extra 60 or so invites being handed out. Now out of a private torrenting community of at least hundreds of thousands of members, how good to you think your chances are of getting one of those invites with your pathetic one line requests, especially when you have barely any other posts at FST?

Exactly.

or

2) Traded some high level trackers, and some laundered money through seed boxes for an ftn invite.
Most people I know did neither. But then again, they generally don't make requests either. People who donate for invites often have a specific person in mind, since they're not going to donate for an invite and then simply sit on said invite.

Or, of course, they might trade it. However, there are 98 invites on the site right now. How difficult is it really to sort through 98 potential inviters/invitees looking for the traders? That's nothing compared to what most sites need to face. And what are the real chances that out of those 98 people, 89 of them are traders? (Based on your 10:1 chances analogy). Doubtful.

As for "Ease" for invitees versus traders, the same can be said for any site at all. Not sure why this move suddenly makes FTN the only site affected by this issue. The entire reason most people trade is because it's the easy way out.

Antony
03-16-2010, 02:12 AM
how many people would sell family for ftn :D :D

Quarterquack
03-16-2010, 02:17 AM
how many people would sell family for ftn :D :D

All idiots. If someone is prepared to give up something (whatever it may be) so that he may be able to get into a tracker, they deserve whatever it is to be taken from them anyways.

Artemis
03-16-2010, 02:58 AM

or

In the end ftn is a tracker like many other trackers out there, in fact ftn isn't particularly fast on pre's (it was once). Yet I notice not a single person has mentioned what kind of tracker ftn is or it's content, only the level, and how much the collectors would donate a body part or family member. You can't even play the community card, because everyone there is too busy being 'leet' for having the membership to be friendly.
News of the day kiddies, it's a tracker, if you believe belonging to it will in anyway enhance you as a person, you desparately need to re-evaluate your belief structure.

Tv Controls you
03-16-2010, 03:05 AM
In the end ftn is a tracker like many other trackers out there, in fact ftn isn't particularly fast on pre's (it was once). Yet I notice not a single person has mentioned what kind of tracker ftn is or it's content, only the level, and how much the collectors would donate a body part or family member. You can't even play the community card, because everyone there is too busy being 'leet' for having the membership to be friendly.

For what reason would someone want to legitimately join ftn then?

*note* I have been using the word legitimate alot lately.... lol...

ca_aok
03-16-2010, 03:12 AM
The only legitimate reason is the lack of any seedtime restrictions. You can hit and run with no consequences, which comes in handy in certain situations where you may not be able to leave your computer on for a while. Anyway, since it's very unlikely anything good will come of a request here, my advice is: join PTM.

Tv Controls you
03-16-2010, 03:15 AM
I don't know if they updated the rules since but..... 36 hours or 1:1 ratio is their rules listed here.

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff66/ftnscreenies/rules.png

ca_aok
03-16-2010, 03:27 AM
Bad seeding will result in severe consequences, including banning in extreme cases.
Seed every torrent back to 1:1 ratio or at least try to do so. You are not forced to seed the torrent 1:1, but you're expected to seed for as long as possible.

Basically, don't make a habit of it and you'll be fine. Which I think is quite an enlighted stance. And before you start raping me for being a "Hit and Runner", my average seed time is 19 days according to my history. ;)

Tv Controls you
03-16-2010, 03:58 AM
What made you think I would "rape" you for being a hit and runner.
If I didn't already rape you for being a die hard what.cd supporter lol..

Back on topic.... Why would someone want Ftn over Ptm or Gft then?

Quarterquack
03-16-2010, 04:07 AM
Back on topic.... Why would someone want Ftn over Ptm or Gft then?

Want my opinion? Two main reasons. The first being everybody wants to be the cool kid showing off their FTN passkey; and second, I'm* getting pretty sick of GFT's rate that ass thread.

As for PTM, I'm no longer a member there, so I can't tell you how the tracker is doing nowadays, but you know what? It's still alive, should mean it's doing well enough to get support. ^.^

* Not saying that I have anything to do with anything, I'm just pointing out the focus of the GFT community... =p

A
03-16-2010, 04:11 AM
Donations are necessary for a tracker to function.When someone donates,its because he wants to help it.When something is given as an incentive for donating,its not 'donation' anymore.It is Buying.Its not with the goodwill of heart that people are donating atm.They are buying Invites.But a tracker gotta do what a tracker gotta do.If people are not donating then they have to look for alternatives to keep the tracker alive
TBH whenever in BT there is something to do with money,it only turns bad.

Also there are trackers which run out of passion.They dont ask you anything except sharing.And still people are so eager to donate to these trackers even if they dont give you anything in return.Animebyt.es,TranceTraffic,FSC,x264 comes to mind.Also people love to donate to SCC,TL etc...because of what the trackers have to offer.When a tracker's main objective is to make a community of file sharers,it seems the tracker has no problems in meeting the donation goals.

Tv Controls you
03-16-2010, 04:12 AM
So I would be correct in saying beside the community their is almost no reason to join ftn.

Although Artemis claims that "You can't even play the community card, because everyone there is too busy being 'leet' for having the membership to be friendly."

So in reality it seems as if their is no legitimate reason?

VinX
03-16-2010, 04:17 AM
http://listicles.thelmagazine.com/wp-content/upload/ironhide_facepalm.jpg

ca_aok
03-16-2010, 04:37 AM
You, my friend, have just discovered why the WTAW thread is retarded. Good job :). As for being a die hard What supporter, I enjoy Waffles too. But it's hard to support you when you've admitted publicly to breaking their rules and flaming their staff, and then try to convince other people here it's a terrible place in your own bitterness towards their moderators.

Aside from what I already mentioned, security is really the only reason. Remember that a smaller community doesn't necessarily mean a better community, it's simply easier to get to know all the regulars. Smaller sites generally mean dead IRC channels and a fairly spammy forum. Obviously there are exceptions, but funnily enough you'll find a much more active community on sites with 50K+ members (well... obviously). There's the argument that it's "better" because they're more selective therefore the members are cut from a better crop, but that's subjective.

Personally it's the only ratioless 0-day I really use, though I have accounts elsewhere. Mainly use it if I miss the pre on something, if I'm worried about not meeting seedtime restrictions, or if I want something big that might eat my ratio elsewhere, for example full TV seasons.

Funnily enough the people who would make the best use of an invite are also the people without connections in the torrenting world necessary to get an invite, and without the other more popular 0-day sites. Someone who'd use it as their primary 0-day would be a much better member than someone with SCC, TL, GFT, etc, who would just treat it as a trophy bookmark. Ditto goes with most "high level" sites. You need to be a very specific sort of member to fit in to the "amazing" communities at these places, and most of you simply don't have the disposition (nor do I in many cases). Ironically enough the places I thought were the best out of the bunch are now dead.

nanner
03-16-2010, 04:37 AM
good but not the best at anything really.

VinX
03-16-2010, 04:57 AM
You, my friend, have just discovered why the WTAW thread is retarded. Good job :). As for being a die hard What supporter, I enjoy Waffles too. But it's hard to support you when you've admitted publicly to breaking their rules and flaming their staff, and then try to convince other people here it's a terrible place in your own bitterness towards their moderators.

Aside from what I already mentioned, security is really the only reason. Remember that a smaller community doesn't necessarily mean a better community, it's simply easier to get to know all the regulars. Smaller sites generally mean dead IRC channels and a fairly spammy forum. Obviously there are exceptions, but funnily enough you'll find a much more active community on sites with 50K+ members (well... obviously). There's the argument that it's &quot;better&quot; because they're more selective therefore the members are cut from a better crop, but that's subjective.

Personally it's the only ratioless 0-day I really use, though I have accounts elsewhere. Mainly use it if I miss the pre on something, if I'm worried about not meeting seedtime restrictions, or if I want something big that might eat my ratio elsewhere, for example full TV seasons.

Funnily enough the people who would make the best use of an invite are also the people without connections in the torrenting world necessary to get an invite, and without the other more popular 0-day sites. Someone who'd use it as their primary 0-day would be a much better member than someone with SCC, TL, GFT, etc, who would just treat it as a trophy bookmark. Ditto goes with most &quot;high level&quot; sites. You need to be a very specific sort of member to fit in to the &quot;amazing&quot; communities at these places, and most of you simply don't have the disposition (nor do I in many cases). Ironically enough the places I thought were the best out of the bunch are now dead.

very well said .. FTN shouldnt be a trophy bookmark showing l337ness ... instead it should be the primary tracker for people who have crappy connection ... http://www.kimrichter.com/Blog/uploaded_images/kudos-748379.jpg

n00bz0r
03-16-2010, 06:09 AM

or

News of the day kiddies, it's a tracker, if you believe belonging to it will in anyway enhance you as a person, you desparately need to re-evaluate your belief structure.

QFT.. couldn't have summed it up better.

Peanut
03-16-2010, 10:10 AM
I wouldn't mind donating, to keep the site cost up. Its a site of different colors ^^.

Glitterstep
03-16-2010, 10:51 AM
Also there are trackers which run out of passion.They dont ask you anything except sharing.And still people are so eager to donate to these trackers even if they dont give you anything in return.Animebyt.es,TranceTraffic,FSC,x264 comes to mind.

TT gives you invites for donating. :P (its the only way of getting invites or you get in touch with a guy called Imm**** on TT.(his account is deleted. :cool:)

A
03-16-2010, 11:01 AM
TT gives you invites for donating. (its the only way of getting invites or you get in touch with a guy called Imm**** on TT.(his account is deleted. )
my bad

BABBY
03-16-2010, 01:29 PM
TT also gives invites to uploaders* and to old members*, even your old donation history is taken into consideration.

it would be really not that hard to get into TT, if u know some real trance music lovers.

*as far as my knowledge serves me.

Quarterquack
03-16-2010, 03:40 PM
TT also gives invites to uploaders* and to old members*, even your old donation history is taken into consideration.

it would be really not that hard to get into TT, if u know some real trance music lovers.

The second one doesn't happen too often. I've heard it just happens out of the blue when members of 40 weeks+ on the tracker just get an invite. It's not a regular, set age or time for donation hand outs.

Glitterstep
03-16-2010, 04:17 PM
it would be really not that hard to get into tt, if u know some real trance music lovers VIPS

fixed :)

VinX
03-16-2010, 04:19 PM
i have 10 invites ... :whistle:

Fishy2
03-16-2010, 04:30 PM
lolprepare to get your inbox flooded with new mates :-)

X-Files
03-16-2010, 04:55 PM
news said some get 2. not 10 lol. i doubt he will get PM hehe

VinX
03-16-2010, 06:04 PM
lolprepare to get your inbox flooded with new mates :-)

http://collegejolt.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/lolcat.jpg

Zac090
03-16-2010, 06:08 PM

The second one doesn't happen too often. I've heard it just happens out of the blue when members of 40 weeks+ on the tracker just get an invite. It's not a regular, set age or time for donation hand outs.
I think the uploaded and downloaded data is also taken into consideration and not just the age of the account in such cases.(PU requirements perhaps? :ermm: )

hotshot6473
03-16-2010, 06:18 PM
I think the uploaded and downloaded data is also taken into consideration and not just the age of the account in such cases.(PU requirements perhaps? :ermm: )

Just chat on the open irc channel for a few months and you will be invited once you get to know the staff and people there.

Cabalo
03-16-2010, 07:15 PM
Just chat on the open irc channel for a few months and you will be invited once you get to know the staff and people there.

Sounds fun!

brento
03-16-2010, 11:26 PM
I don't know if they updated the rules since but..... 36 hours or 1:1 ratio is their rules listed here.

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff66/ftnscreenies/rules.png

"You must have legal rights to the files you are downloading."
lol, this rule made me laugh

Tv Controls you
03-16-2010, 11:28 PM
Lol could you imagine getting banned for that.

With that rule in place, I gaurantee that 99.9% of their members are breaking the rules :-p.

(00.1% haven't downloaded a torrent yet lol)

Quarterquack
03-17-2010, 12:56 AM

With that rule in place, I gaurantee that 99.9% of their members are breaking the rules :-p.

That isn't a rule, that's save face to uphold in a court as such that they weren't supporting copyright infringement, just supporting sharing of legally acquired/owned files. Of course, it doesn't work, but it helps a little bit.

Tv Controls you
03-17-2010, 03:41 AM

That isn't a rule, that's save face to uphold in a court as such that they weren't supporting copyright infringement, just supporting sharing of legally acquired/owned files. Of course, it doesn't work, but it helps a little bit.

I know why they put it there lol...
They are not the only tracker with that listed, matter of fact a lot of trackers have that at the bottom.

anon
03-17-2010, 04:50 PM
A lot of trackers also have that text about Bill Clinton's signature of the Internet Privacy Act, thinking it somehow helps them:
http://www.snopes.com/legal/privacy.asp

Zac090
03-17-2010, 05:33 PM

Sounds fun!

:w00t: :yup: