PDA

View Full Version : Obama Contemplating Three-Strikes Piracy Law

Darth Sushi
03-15-2010, 12:36 PM
http://media.bestofmicro.com/software-piracy-cartoon,5-D-159601-1.gifObama Contemplating Three-Strikes Piracy Law
By Jane McEntegart, March 15, 2010

" President Obama is reportedly considering a three strikes law similar to what's already in effect in France.

Recently, France passed a 'three strikes' law that would see repeat pirates disconnected by their ISP. The law gives Internet users three chances before disconnecting them; the first time they are caught, users are sent a warning via email. Then, they receive letter in the post. Finally, if they are caught a third time, their ISP will terminate their connection, cutting them off from the Internet.

The Guardian reports (http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/mar/10/murdoch-illegal-dowloading-stealing-handbag)that Hollywood lobbyists are pushing for a similar law to come into play in the United States. Inside information comes from Ari Emanuel, a co-chief of Hollywood's biggest talent agency and the brother of the White House Chief of Staff; Ari says the industry has been discussing tougher anti-piracy laws with President Obama outside of the public eye.

“We are in the midst of talking to the president and some attorney generals and [we are] trying to implement a three strikes and you’re out rule,” Emanuel said, according to the Guardian.

Emanuel's revelation was made at the Abu Dhabi Media Summit, where other industry heads also expressed their support for tougher piracy laws. James Murdoch claims piracy is no different to "going into a store and stealing Pringles or a handbag."

"We need enforcement mechanisms and we need governments to play ball … There is no difference with going into a store and stealing Pringles or a handbag and taking this stuff," said Murdoch. "It's a basic condition for investment and economic growth and there should be the same level of property rights whether it's a house or a movie." "

:source: Source: http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Obama-Three-Strikes-Piracy-Law,news-6113.html

Sporkk
03-16-2010, 12:05 AM
If they find a way to stop file sharing I can only afford pringles so they still won't get my money.

killour
03-16-2010, 01:31 AM
If they find a way to stop file sharing I can only afford pringles so they still won't get my money.

well said jedispork, +1 from me !

ISP companies cutting off the line?? Not wanting the money anymore?

HARD to believe that ever will happen :P

sjames1682
03-16-2010, 04:46 AM
That sucks. If they cut-off my internet, I'll have to hack my neighbor's wi-fi! There's no way the government can stop us!:P

nanner
03-16-2010, 04:48 AM
the real crime is how rich the people making movies are, and they want more. greedy bastards. fuck them! I will never pay for a movie again.

gath
03-16-2010, 07:12 AM
Thank you tell me that

RevFinch
03-16-2010, 07:23 AM
Another waste of taxpayer dollars, just like the "war" on drugs.

Speedo
03-16-2010, 08:31 PM
I remained sort of sceptical about Obama after he won, but I knew the he would change nothing the day he announced that he was not willing to impeach Bush.

He's doing what he's told and nothing new will be done in his presidency.

Philrider7
03-16-2010, 10:21 PM

In France, they cut you after your third strike, but you still have to pay your internet bills!

vrich187
03-16-2010, 10:29 PM
More of the "Hope and Change"

Speedo nailed it.

iJazz
03-17-2010, 05:59 PM
It's because of Joe Biden, he's bought by the film and music industry, too bad Obama chose him as vice president.

maphongbax
03-17-2010, 06:01 PM

The catch is you still have to pay for the service even if they cut you off. ISPs will be so happy with the new law, they can keep collecting money without providing any services.

typeoholic
03-17-2010, 06:45 PM
I agree Speedo! A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.

unknown1_
03-21-2010, 01:43 AM
That sucks. If they cut-off my internet, I'll have to hack my neighbor's wi-fi! There's no way the government can stop us!:P
Agreed! They are fighting a losing battle. Knowledge has to be shared.

The catch is you still have to pay for the service even if they cut you off. ISPs will be so happy with the new law, they can keep collecting money without providing any services.
Now, that is big pile of poo. I would NOT pay if they cut off my bill. Mostly likely I'd say see ya in court, fellas.

mindlock
03-23-2010, 10:25 AM
Very interesting.....it definitely would work, slowing illegal downloads, but I think it's impossible to force companies like Comcast to cut off somebody's internet connection without them getting some sort of compensation in return......this will be tied up in heated arguments for a long time between Congress and ISP providers in the USA.....therefore, it will never happen......we can't even get universal healthcare and they're going to cut somebody's internet for illegal downloading....yeah, right....