PDA

View Full Version : The Pacific [2010]

mr. nails
03-15-2010, 03:55 PM
HBO mini-series following in the footsteps of Saving Private Ryan and Band of Brothers has started. The show started off quite well and I look forward to the rest of the series.

Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pacific_%28miniseries%29)

e99B80crU3E

db_la_23
03-16-2010, 01:54 AM
love the war series

IdolEyes787
03-16-2010, 01:40 PM
As a huge fan of Band of Brothers I was really looking forward to this but despite the many warnings of " it's not the same" I still found myself a little underwhelmed by the initial episode.
I'm sure it will ( as BoB did) really ratchet up in subsequent episodes ( and knowing a bit about the conflict and John Basilone - one of the most heroic and tragic figures in American history) I have no doubt this will happen but all that aside what I really found missing was any sense of character .
Also the one real battle scene was shot ( I'm sure for the purposes of "reality" ) so darkly and frantically even sitting with the lights off and watching in HD I found it next to impossible to discern what was going on.:pinch:

killuminati96
03-16-2010, 11:00 PM
I loved the first episode. I wish they'd gone more into the characters, but they may over the other episodes. I agree that the night fighting was a little too dark.

Speedo
03-17-2010, 12:26 AM
I'm lost for words. The first episode was even more awesome than I expected.

I have a feeling this will be the best thing ever.

Shawn84
03-22-2010, 06:15 AM
For a part of WW2 that is little known to the masses, they have done an excellent job of bringing the battles of the pacific to life.

I was impressed with the first episode.

It wont have the same feel as the original, and it shouldnt. It is in a tropical part of the world, the environment is different.

IdolEyes787
03-22-2010, 01:21 PM
Tom Hanks has been quoted as saying that while BoB was intentionally shot with sober,muted colours The Pacific by contrast was a "bright sky" war and everything is filtered to almost over-emphasize that .
It was also a very different type of fighting in which " the Americans learned from the Japanese" the basics of what is now referred to as "jungle warfare"
No The Pacific is certainly different and won't /can't be as heroically satisfying as BoB because as the soldiers of that campaign themselves will tell you it was more about simple survival than anything.

doldrum
03-24-2010, 08:52 AM
love the war series

Band of brothers was good...this also looks promising.

djnoxious
04-19-2010, 05:49 PM
Its amazing! watch it

darkstate01
04-19-2010, 06:40 PM
I'm disapointed with what i'm seeing with the series so far, Whenever a jap comes into frame they just get shot by a machine gun and thats it, BoB was great,good action good story telling great camera work and an enjoyable series all round, This series is more interested in showing whats going in the bedroom than the strategies that were used to defeat the japs on the different islands.
you see maybe 5 minutes of action then the rest of the show is about the soldiers pissing the bed and telling stories,boring boring boring.
Hopefully it will pick up and tell the story as the real soldiers tell it at the beginning of the show.

Skiz
05-17-2010, 11:42 PM
I've watched the first 2 or 3 episodes and I think it's horrible.

Vague "plot".

Characters not introduced well (if at all) and I still haven't learned the names of anyone.

Dialogue is difficult to understand so I miss half of what's being said.

I'm not even going to bother with the rest of this. :dabs:

mr. nails
05-20-2010, 10:52 PM
well, the 10 part mini-series has concluded and i liked it. sure, there wasn't much of character development, but there is story and the life expectancy wasn't all that long to provide adequate story in the first place. the series does pick up about half way through (10 parts) and was worth the viewing. it's not gonna be your regular band of brothers everything explodes tv show, but enjoyable none-the-less. 6.5/10