PDA

View Full Version : Grammatical Question

Skweeky
10-22-2003, 11:34 PM
There's this little problem I have in english language ( I have more than one, but this one really annoys me)

I can never tell whether to use 'I' or 'me' in sentences like

'more than me/I'
or
'you and I/me'

I don't know how else to explain this, I hope you understand what I mean.

Could someone tell me what the general rule for this is? (looking at JPaul and clocker *insert sweet schoolgirl smile here*)

Billy_Dean
10-22-2003, 11:36 PM
Both, Skweeky. It used to be that "posh" people said "I", and common folk said "me".

Now .... who cares?

:)

DarthInsinuate
10-22-2003, 11:39 PM
According to Microsoft Word - they're both acceptable.

While we're talking about grammer, when am i supposed to use semi-colons (one of these -> ; )

razorsharp013
10-22-2003, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by Skweeky@22 October 2003 - 18:34
There's this little problem I have in english language ( I have more than one, but this one really annoys me)

'more than me/I'
or
'you and I/me'

Could someone tell me what the general rule for this is? (looking at JPaul and clocker *insert sweet schoolgirl smile here*)
Not to sure about the first. But the second example is definately 'you and I'.

bigboab
10-22-2003, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by Skweeky@22 October 2003 - 23:34

'more than me/I'
or
'you and I/me'

One Generally does it this way, does one not?

'more than I'
or
'you and I'

Lamsey
10-22-2003, 11:52 PM
Not entirely sure about this.. we're not actaully taught grammar in schools nowadays... but:

'I' is the nominative; you use it when you are the main subject of the sentence.

Such as "I committed the crime" or "I walked the dog". You are the main subject of both sentences, so you use 'I'.

'Me' is the accusative; you use it when you are not the subject of the sentence.

Such as "The crime was committed by me" or "The dog went for a walk with me". Here, the crime and the dog are the main subjects of the sentence.

I hope that's both clear and correct :unsure:

Skweeky
10-23-2003, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by DarthInsinuate@23 October 2003 - 00:39
According to Microsoft Word - they're both acceptable.

While we're talking about grammer, when am i supposed to use semi-colons (one of these -> ; )
Semicolons: The Whole Truth

A semicolon functions as a kind of weakened period. It has three major functions:

1) It connects two independent clauses that are logically related and that are not joined by a conjunction.

Give without remembering; take without forgetting.

2) It separates items on a list, especially when the items on the list contain commas.

We visited the following cities: Paris, France; London, England; Rome, Italy; and Geneva, Switzerland.

3) It separates independent clauses if there are commas within the clauses.

We own a sailboat, a catamaran, and a motor boat; still, our favorite maritime activity is lolling around on deck.

How to Tell If You Have Used the Semi-Colon Correctly.

When you use the semi-colon within a sentence, you should be able to replace the semi-colon with a period. The words on the left and the right sides of the semi-colon must be able to meaningfully stand alone without any further revision.

Clear enough?

JONNO_CELEBS
10-23-2003, 12:03 AM
Why don't you lot talk proper english like what I do? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jonno B)

Guillaume
10-23-2003, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by Skweeky+23 October 2003 - 01:02--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Skweeky @ 23 October 2003 - 01:02)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-DarthInsinuate@23 October 2003 - 00:39
According to Microsoft Word - they&#39;re both acceptable.

While we&#39;re talking about grammer, when am i supposed to use semi-colons (one of these -> ; )
Semicolons: The Whole Truth

A semicolon functions as a kind of weakened period. It has three major functions:

1) It connects two independent clauses that are logically related and that are not joined by a conjunction.

Give without remembering; take without forgetting.

2) It separates items on a list, especially when the items on the list contain commas.

We visited the following cities: Paris, France; London, England; Rome, Italy; and Geneva, Switzerland.

3) It separates independent clauses if there are commas within the clauses.

We own a sailboat, a catamaran, and a motor boat; still, our favorite maritime activity is lolling around on deck.

How to Tell If You Have Used the Semi-Colon Correctly.

When you use the semi-colon within a sentence, you should be able to replace the semi-colon with a period. The words on the left and the right sides of the semi-colon must be able to meaningfully stand alone without any further revision.

Clear enough? [/b][/quote]
Now, I remember why I fell asleep during my first year studying english at uni and woke up only to discover the exams were over... :lol:

ljossberir
10-23-2003, 12:06 AM
Excellent explanation, Lamsey. That&#39;s exactly right...

Skweeky
10-23-2003, 12:06 AM
:lol: :lol:

well...I&#39;m one of those weird people who find grammar fascinating :lol: :lol:

another thing....what&#39;s with the &#39;whom&#39; thing, when do I use that? :huh:

Lamsey
10-23-2003, 12:09 AM
You might want to look up for a couple of examples of semicolons in use - I just realised I used some in that post up there.

Billy_Dean
10-23-2003, 12:09 AM
As a rule, I use a semi colon when the following word begins with a small letter, (except proper nouns) I use a colon when the following word starts with a capital letter, as in a new sentence, or example.

And if that was clear, you must have already known the answer.

:)

BAZ_CELEBS
10-23-2003, 12:10 AM
:blink:

Come live with me skweeky, Dew yew keep a &#39;troshin&#33;
Carry on with the threshing.
May be used instead of saying "goodbye" or "look after yourself".
Fare yew well t&#39;gather,
Fare you well together.
May be used instead of saying "goodbye" or "look after yourself".
De yar fa&#39;r ki&#39; a dickie, bor?
Does your father keep a donkey, boy?
Cor, blast, no bor, he ki&#39; me.
No, he keeps me.
Yis, tha&#39; he dew, an&#39; he need a fule t&#39; ride &#39;m -- will ye come?
Yes he does and he needs a fool to ride it -- will you come?

us norfolk boys, keep ya warm, he he he

Not proud, but my family has been in Sheringham Norfolk since 1739, now thats roots.

Lamsey
10-23-2003, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by Skweeky@23 October 2003 - 00:06
:lol: :lol:

well...I&#39;m one of those weird people who find grammar fascinating :lol: :lol:

another thing....what&#39;s with the &#39;whom&#39; thing, when do I use that? :huh:
"Whom" is pretty archaic now, it&#39;s now acceptable to use "who" instead.

Skweeky
10-23-2003, 12:12 AM
Live with you? :blink:

um...ok, but only if you promise to make that roast Jonno is always talking about :D

BAZ_CELEBS
10-23-2003, 12:15 AM
Hi ya Skweeky, you know that roast is there when you want it, and a norfolk dumplin.
How you doing gal, hope u k.
us Norfolk boys knows how to keep a gal, :D

Skweeky
10-23-2003, 12:16 AM
/me plans her next vacation in Norfolk.

Does Easter suit you Baz? :lol:

and , yes, I&#39;m ok, thank you, I had a great night

JONNO_CELEBS
10-23-2003, 12:18 AM
Uh oh...........Poor ickle Norflok will never be the same again :lol: :lol:

btw &#39;lo Skweeky :)

Jonno B)

Lamsey
10-23-2003, 12:19 AM
Well, Baz makes a reappearance and I have to ressurect this image... :rolleyes:

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/forumfun/misc5.jpg

Skweeky
10-23-2003, 12:19 AM
What are you implying dearest? <_<

&#39;lo Jonno :D *big hug*

ahem, back on topic

&#39;whom&#39;...when? where? why? how?

BAZ_CELEBS
10-23-2003, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by Skweeky@23 October 2003 - 00:16

easter wil be super, and we can go to the marshes norfolk style.
It&#39;s a date my gal
I&#39;m sure Jonno will lend me his chopper so we ride into the night B)

JONNO_CELEBS
10-23-2003, 12:21 AM
@Lamsey..........does that mean we can resurect our pic??? :D

@Skweeky.............big hug??..........Awwww :)

@Baz........My chopper :blink:

Jonno B)

Skweeky
10-23-2003, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by BAZ_CELEBS+23 October 2003 - 01:20--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (BAZ_CELEBS @ 23 October 2003 - 01:20)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Skweeky@23 October 2003 - 00:16

easter wil be super, and we can go to the marshes norfolk style.
It&#39;s a date my gal
I&#39;m sure Jonno will lend me his chopper so we ride into the night B) [/b][/quote]
w00t&#33;&#33;&#33;

Where are we going to ride then?

JONNO_CELEBS
10-23-2003, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by Skweeky@23 October 2003 - 00:21

w00t&#33;&#33;&#33;

Can I answer that? :D

Jonno B)

Skweeky
10-23-2003, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by JONNO_CELEBS+23 October 2003 - 01:25--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JONNO_CELEBS @ 23 October 2003 - 01:25)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Skweeky@23 October 2003 - 00:21

w00t&#33;&#33;&#33;

Can I answer that? :D

Jonno B) [/b][/quote]
:D tell me&#33;&#33;

JONNO_CELEBS
10-23-2003, 12:27 AM
Well....If you take off your..................uh oh.........Lamesy :P is comming :unsure: <_<

Jonno B)

Skweeky
10-23-2003, 12:29 AM
I thought we were talking about riding? I&#39;m not taking off anything mister&#33; <_<

/me hides from Lamesy

besides...THIS WAS ABOUT GRAMMAR&#33;&#33; G R A M M A R

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Rat Faced
10-23-2003, 12:32 AM
Skweeky, it would help if we knew what type of english your trying to learn.

The way its used by the masses (ie us commoners), or with a Gob full of marbles...

Lamsey
10-23-2003, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by Rat Faced@23 October 2003 - 00:32

The way its used by the masses (ie us commoners), or with a Gob full of marbles...
...what type of English you&#39;re trying...

The way it&#39;s used... (i.e. us....

:P :rolleyes:

Edit by RF:

The way it is used.....(i.e. by the common folk such as Lamsey...

:P

JONNO_CELEBS
10-23-2003, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by Skweeky@23 October 2003 - 00:29
I thought we were talking about riding? I&#39;m not taking off anything mister&#33; <_<

:o :o :o Skweeky just knocked me back :o :o

Here&#39;s some grammer..............Well I&#39;ll be buggered with a fishfork :blink:

Jonno B)

Skweeky
10-23-2003, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by Rat Faced@23 October 2003 - 01:32

lol, RF, what do YOU think?

Just correct english, as it is taught in schools.

....A few days ago I was in English Language class, we were having a debate about the use of dialect. When I finished, the teacher asked where I got those Scottish/Northern English expressions from and why my &#39;a&#39; sounded so Scottish <_<

Thanks, the both of you, now I speak english with a French/Scottish/Geordie accent :lol: :lol: :lol:

Where is this going to end??? The horror&#33;&#33; :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rat Faced
10-23-2003, 12:41 AM
Well, as has been said "Whom" is rather archaic now, however it&#39;s still used by the gentry and upper middle classes .....

/me tips his cloth cap @ JPaul

PS (Or for the benefit of Lamsey... Post Script)

The English Teachers gave up in the North East years ago, and i suspect they did in Glasgow too ;)

BAZ_CELEBS
10-23-2003, 12:48 AM
Us Nofolk boy&#39;s are norfolk &#39;N&#39; Good

when ya com to Norfolk Skweeky,
Learn to speak the local lingo and make communication issues a thing of the past&#33;

Narridge Yoonyun = major Norfolk employer.
Thang kyer = spoken at high speed, used by Norfolk shop assistants when accepting money.
How&#39;re yer gettin arn buh = Norfolk greeting.
Rup buh = variation on the above.
Hair = here.
Shicagooo&#39;s = nightspot on Prince of Wales Road.
Bare = sold by the pint in Shicagooo&#39;s.
Is that roight? = comment to show attention being paid to speaker.
Ass a jouk = i&#39;m just kidding.
Khazi = suburb on the western outskirts of Narridge (not Bowthorpe).
Tross = pronounced like gross only beginning with a &#39;T&#39; ,suburb in the southside of &#39;Narridge&#39;.
Windam = small town south of &#39;Narridge&#39; (sensible abbreviation of its proper name = Wymundimundimundum).
Loose-tarfed = east coast fishing port.
Card = traditionally eaten battered, with chips, might well have been caught off &#39;Loose-tarfed&#39;.
Koodee = discount shop on St Stephens Street.
Hum base = DIY shop (various sites).
Fooze = electrical component on sale at &#39;hum base&#39;.
Fool = petrol or diesel.
Gatoo = sticky chocolate cake.
Foo too = get these developed at local photo outlets.
Sproight = fizzy lemon drink.
Boost = to brag.
Jargon = like running, but a little slower.

Rat Faced
10-23-2003, 12:50 AM
Get arf ma land.....

Skweeky
10-23-2003, 12:53 AM
No NO NO NO NOOOO, not another accent&#33;&#33;&#33;

But you can always give me some of that gatoo of yours :D

JONNO_CELEBS
10-23-2003, 12:56 AM
Awww all these languages and me&#39;s can only talk shit :lol: :lol:

Jonno B)

BAZ_CELEBS
10-23-2003, 01:08 AM
Norfolk &#39;N&#39; Good mp3 Mr Kipper esq (http://www.sheringhamsurf.org.uk/voice/keith_kipper.mp3) :lol: :lol: O bor

Mantis1
10-23-2003, 01:36 AM
http://www.grammarstation.com/GC.html

;)

you might want to sign up.

clocker
10-23-2003, 01:38 AM
Skweeky,

I applaud and admire your desire to learn (and practice) proper English.

Actually, I admit to being envious of anyone who has mastered a second language.

It is popular today for the masses to determine what "proper usage" may be. Just because &#39;everyone&#39; says it that way does not make it correct or beautiful.
I don&#39;t think it&#39;s at all pretentious or pedantic to use old fashioned grammar forms or a expanded vocabulary.

To my ear it just sounds better.

Keep up the good work.

MagicNakor
10-23-2003, 02:08 AM
Although if you tend to consistently speak with the "archaic" forms, you end up sounding like a stuffed shirt. ;)

In short, whom is used for a direct or indirect object or for the object of a prepostion, and who is used as a nominative pronoun (such as I or he).

"To whom it may concern" is still widely used in formal letters, but if you ask your mailman "To whom did you give the letter?" you may be looked at strangely.

The same rules apply for whoever and whomever.

:ninja:

clocker
10-23-2003, 02:16 AM
You would be looked at askance by whom, prithee tell kind dude. ;)

MagicNakor
10-23-2003, 04:43 AM
You&#39;re combining time periods&#33;

Noooooo&#33;

:nuke:

Skweeky
10-23-2003, 12:35 PM
Thank you clocker for you support. My reason for wanting to learn english is simple; I want to be able to speak at least one other language as well as my own.
I think I can say that my Dutch is very good, I always make sure to use the proper grammar constructions and speak standard language, not &#39;in between language&#39; or dialect. I dislike it when I hear people making very common mistakes and I absolutely despise it when they make spelling mistakes...

I used to think it was important to speak as many languages as possible, to know a bit about each, but I have changed my view on that. English is a language widely spread and almost everyone uses or understands it, but I think &#39;Engrish&#39; is spoken too much these days.

I speak French well enough, I&#39;ve worked in Brussels for a while,so the French I speak is the &#39;common&#39; French, and not the standard French. I&#39;ve been taught German in highschool, but it&#39;s not exactly one of my favourite languages <_<

It&#39;s only the first year I study Germanic languages, but I&#39;ve found it to be what I really like so I&#39;ll probably be bugging all of you with these questions as soon as the exams approach :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for all the replies, I&#39;ve learnt a thing or two and that&#39;s always a good thing

Greets,
Sonja
xxx

clocker
10-23-2003, 01:06 PM
Somewhat off topic....

When I lived in Atlanta I was employed as a graphic artist at a shop that specialized in convention graphics. We did all sorts of stuff and it was fun, but the hours were ridiculous. The man who owned the business was an expatriot Russian.

He was quite a hustler and somehow managed to land a commission from Coca-Cola. We were to design/produce a booth that was going to a trade show in Moscow ( this was back in 81-82) and would be a real steppingstone for Coke to break into the Russian market.

We had to order special fonts for our graphics computers (Cryllic) and of course none of us could properly proofread the finished product. The owner (who had also done the translations) proofread and approved the package.

Several weeks later a enraged Coca-Cola rep appears and rips the owner a new asshole. Turns out "M"s (the owner) grammar and spelling were atrocious and the booth appeared to the Russian business leaders as though it had been done by peasants. Riddled with spelling errors and slang terms it was hardly the impression that Coke wanted to make.

I think that Coke managed to overcome the poor first impression that they made, but we certainly never got another job from them....