PDA

View Full Version : Just an unnerving thought

Quarterquack
03-17-2010, 06:28 PM
Trading. I consistently read posts by other "respectable" members of any forum I'm at that they find it morally unacceptable to trade, and anyone who does so has no dignity, no integrity, no respect for tracker wishes, and several other colorful adjectives thrown out of an oration from hell.

Why is it so? Why can people not understand that we all live by certain different/conflicting sets of morals. If we were all subjected to the same code of morals/ethics, there would be no debates about war, euthanasia, stem cell research etc. Yet there is. The main point I'm driving is: We're all pirates who are too much of scum to go to a store to buy a 10$ DVD collection, and yet somehow in there, with a complete disregard for the accepted norm of adhering to rules, we wish to impose rules upon those who are beneath us, while failing to observe that they are simply trying to cheat the system we are plateaued at, just as we are trying to cheat a system higher than ourselves.

To put it simply: With what authority does one have the right to judge another's behavior, especially when it comes to piracy habits.

PS: Since I'm usually open about why I do things, it was a post by idoleyes. However, it was not the defining reason, more like a trigger that set off this thread after I had noticed others doing the same. So no, this thread is not directed at anyone, I'm just hoping for some insightful responses from which I can see the angle other people see trading from.

hotshot6473
03-17-2010, 07:07 PM
I dunno in my eyes trading leads to the wrong people getting onto a site. Trading and selling usually lead to the downfall of a site cause its brings a lot of negative attention.

IdolEyes787
03-17-2010, 07:22 PM
I don't blanket judge every trader to be a "bad" person, just as I don't blanket judge (obviously ) everyone who doesn't to be a "good" one.
In the specific case I think you are referring to though I believe there is a totally different set of values involved .That person is totally unconcerned about anything or anyone but himself. He trades for no reason but that it gives him a sense of power/accomplishment/fulfillment that he obviously ( being the ass-hole that he is)couldn't have otherwise and doesn't give a shit if anyone/anything is hurt in the process
Someone who doesn't factor in how their actions maybe adversely effecting others for no better reason than to be( in their own mind at least) a "big man" is well deserving of all the contempt I can give him.

Quarterquack
03-17-2010, 07:23 PM
I dunno in my eyes trading leads to the wrong people getting onto a site. Trading and selling usually lead to the downfall of a site cause its brings a lot of negative attention.

Perfectly understandable. I don't condone trading, either. However, people seem to think it has something to do with morality, or that trading is outright wrong. My main gripe is the fact that while one might choose that trading is not a beneficial path for him/herself, another might have the moral rule-set that allows him to break the rules.

I don't understand why either party should try to impose their opinions on the other. That's the point of this thread.

I don't blanket judge every trader to be a "bad" person, just as I don't blanket judge (obviously ) everyone who doesn't to be a "good" one.
In the specific case I think you are referring to though I believe there is a totally different set of values involved .That person is totally unconcerned about anything or anyone but himself. He trades for no reason but that it gives him a sense of power/accomplishment/fulfillment that he obviously ( being the ass-hole that he is)couldn't have otherwise and doesn't give a shit if anyone/anything is hurt in the process
Someone who doesn't factor in how their actions maybe adversely effecting others for no better reason than to be( in their own mind at least) a "big man" is well deserving of all the contempt I can give him.

Thank you. That's the sort of explanation/reasoning I'm looking for, and yes, in that certain case, I agree with you that the person did not deserve a better treatment than the one received, however, it's not only you doing it. It would be foolish to point out your response as a stray. People do/say this sort of thing all the time. I see traders being harassed simply for the choices they make. Sure, they break the rules but I mean come on, why assume the moral high ground. This all goes back to, "He who is without sin among you, let him throw the first stone."

Someone trades because he has no use of a tracker anyway and inreturn he brings another user who may or maynot use the tracker.Trading is wrong because trackers has a rule implemented "No trading".If you feel like breaking the rule according to morals,feel free and get banned.Atleast you have proved your point,didnt ya?

You are joining a tracker willingly remember?No one forced you into joining a tracker and you signed up agreeing the terms and conditions.You can bitch and wine how much the rules sucks but if you violate the rules youll be kicked out.

I have never had gripes with the dictatorial system of running a tracker, and I know how/why it works considering I've staffed at a few places (nothing extraordinaire). I understand the security risks it produces, and the dangers of breaking that perfect balance of the benevolent ecosystem of utopian trackers. I'm yet to see a legitimate reason why people refer to traders as "The scum of the BT world" or "Without morals/integrity/dignity". To me, it's unheard of to impose one's own beliefs on another.

I've never heard of someone getting ridiculed because they don't upload content to a tracker (in the spirit of sharing), which is just as much of a security risk to be honest, just the same as I've never heard of anyone getting ridiculed because they don't seed for years as other people do (in the spirit of sharing). So why is it that when it comes to trading (STILL in the spirit of sharing) do people find the impending necessity to enforce their opinion of the matter unto others? Is it simply because you're brainwashed into trusting every power tripping tracker administrator out there?

A
03-17-2010, 07:23 PM
Someone trades because he has no use of a tracker anyway and inreturn he brings another user who may or maynot use the tracker.Trading is wrong because trackers has a rule implemented "No trading".If you feel like breaking the rule according to morals,feel free and get banned.Atleast you have proved your point,didnt ya?

To put it simply: With what authority does one have the right to judge another's behavior, especially when it comes to piracy habits.
You are joining a tracker willingly remember?No one forced you into joining a tracker and you signed up agreeing the terms and conditions.You can bitch and wine how much the rules sucks but if you violate the rules youll be kicked out.

kurdt
03-17-2010, 07:46 PM
it's honor among thieves, or pirates as it were. you agree to the tracker rules when you join. if you don't like them, don't join the tracker. if you break them, you are acting dishonorably.

Quarterquack
03-17-2010, 07:51 PM
it's honor among thieves, or pirates as it were. you agree to the tracker rules when you join. if you don't like them, don't join the tracker. if you break them, you are acting dishonorably.

But why is HONOR used as a word here? Why is morality brought into the subject, while calling traders people with corrupt morals? Am I the only one that sees the irony in all of this? Surely someone else realizes this is all so very wrong.

I understand breaking rules. I abide to them as much as I can, sir! If I break a rule, then I deserve the consequences that I agreed to pay for, in advance to me breaking said rule. But does that actually mean I have no honor? No morality? No dignity/self-respect? My whole issue is why do people push such words/concepts in an environment that thrives against these very values.

EDIT: And if someone realizes that just because you break certain values expressed in our society (adhering to copy-right laws), does not mean you should not uphold morality/integrity in other cases, then why is that same capacity/understanding not applied when viewing trading?

A
03-17-2010, 07:54 PM
I'm yet to see a legitimate reason why people refer to traders as "The scum of the BT world" or "Without morals/integrity/dignity". To me, it's unheard of to impose one's own beliefs on another.
New people who join BT and want to get into trackers are made into believing or will follow what the tracker staff has to say.Once they grow out of this phase they too view Traders as just traders and not people Without morals/integrity/dignity.Only New people,ass kissers,retards who cant think for themsleves and Staff,and only according to these "genre",are traders whatever they say.For me atleast Traders get what they deserve,ban from trackers.Nothing more,nothing less.

Tokeman
03-17-2010, 07:56 PM
Trying to hold a bunch of people breaking the law to a set of rules is laughable at best. Just my opinion though...

And traders do not bring sites down, these types of sites (torrent sites) are a problem waiting to happen without the help of traders/sellers, its just a matter of time.

Edit: I should probably mention I don't encourage rule breaking or trading. I just find it funny, gathering a bunch of law breaking people together then getting upset when rules are broken.

P2PDog
03-17-2010, 07:56 PM
I don't see traders as being inherently morally deficient (although most of them are), my main reason for disliking it is because it's selfish. When a tracker gives you invites it's with the intention that you're going to invite someone that will be a good addition. Traders try to maximize the "value" of their invites by trading them with whoever will offer them the most in return with no regard for whether that person will be an asset or a liability to the tracker.

IMO, BT is supposed to be about sharing. Trying to maximize the value of something that was given to you for free with no regard for the effect is has on the tracker is just plain selfish. Since trading does attract those who are selfish, who have no regard for others, I do find them morally repugnant, and since it's the vast majority who are like that I do tend to stereotype them.

puckface
03-17-2010, 08:30 PM
People trade, from my point of view to make it easier to get in the places they want to get in without wasting time. That's why I used to trade and it worked entirely fine.

As an example, Ive been trying to get into E by making requests, talking to people and the such as my trading days are behind me... but to no avail. I probably don't get in because of my past actions and peoples' opinions on traders and thats fine. But, I have about 2000 CD's and 1500 LP's that I can rip to FLAC at any time the right way, but Im too much of a scum obviously to contribute to such a tracker. Unfortunate for everyone.

As far as all traders being bad, all I can say if fuck off. I guarantee, that I, Mr. Trader, have done more for the trackers that I belong to that 80-90% of the people on this site. I'm an uploader at 4 sites, I donate to those who I deem worthy, I help people out with hardware/software/torrenting problems they have in the forums of certain trackers and I seed for fucking ever. Not being arrogant, but just stating facts.

Also, this breaking the rules of the tracker shit is just bogus. Giveaways are also against tracker rules, wheres the witch hunt there? Plus, what we do as file sharers is STEAL, we steal other peoples' shit. Where is the rules and respect there on our parts or the trackers' parts?

So people trade, and I am not saying that everyone is or is not like me, and I do only use myself as an example because that's all I know and I don't pop my face in other peoples' business. You should all take heed to that little gem.

Don't judge a book by its cover and you will get through life in a much better light.

P2PDog
03-17-2010, 08:47 PM
People trade, from my point of view to make it easier to get in the places they want to get in without wasting time. That's why I used to trade and it worked entirely fine.

As an example, Ive been trying to get into E by making requests, talking to people and the such as my trading days are behind me... but to no avail. I probably don't get in because of my past actions and peoples' opinions on traders and thats fine. But, I have about 2000 CD's and 1500 LP's that I can rip to FLAC at any time the right way, but Im too much of a scum obviously to contribute to such a tracker. Unfortunate for everyone.

As far as all traders being bad, all I can say if fuck off. I guarantee, that I, Mr. Trader, have done more for the trackers that I belong to that 80-90% of the people on this site. I'm an uploader at 4 sites, I donate to those who I deem worthy, I help people out with hardware/software/torrenting problems they have in the forums of certain trackers and I seed for fucking ever. Not being arrogant, but just stating facts.

Also, this breaking the rules of the tracker shit is just bogus. Giveaways are also against tracker rules, wheres the witch hunt there? Plus, what we do as file sharers is STEAL, we steal other peoples' shit. Where is the rules and respect there on our parts or the trackers' parts?

So people trade, and I am not saying that everyone is or is not like me, and I do only use myself as an example because that's all I know and I don't pop my face in other peoples' business. You should all take heed to that little gem.

Don't judge a book by its cover and you will get through life in a much better light.

Do you think that makes you a "typical" trader?

Assuming everything you wrote is true, that would make you a rare exception, IMO.

puckface
03-17-2010, 08:50 PM

Do you think that makes you a "typical" trader?

Assuming everything you wrote is true, that would make you a rare exception, IMO.

As I said, "I am not saying that everyone is or is not like me" (as you would have seen if you read my post) , but how do you know? That's the point.

Artemis
03-17-2010, 10:26 PM

I absolutely understand your point of view puckface, and personally know other ex-traders like you that are similarly great members of the trackers they belong to. But 4pirates & shalafi are also traders, as was tudor/basilheydens/trollin thunder and what exactly have these individuals done for the torrenting community ?
These are only a few examples, and I agree extreme ones, but there are two types of traders, there are those like you that trade for personal use, and then there are the collectors.
Trading simply to have 'it' but then becoming bored and discarding the membership is a security risk for the tracker, the account is no longer that of the person and quite often these accounts end up in the hands of previously banned users, who were banned for legitimate reasons.
Active traders usually aren't desirable as members because they are too busy covering their tracks to participate in the tracker much, the a/c is just kept ticking over because it is a trophy a/c. Often with this type of trader the a/c was created with the intention of passing it on, an anonymous throwaway email and the minimum needed to keep the a/c active. These a/c's can be passed on several times, and then of course there are the buffered a/c's created simply so that someone can hit'n'run the a/c to death then go on to the next buffered a/c.
All of this is a direct consequence of trading, or rather the second type of trading, where a/c's are treated as baseball cards. There are forums out there where users brag how many times they are a member at trackers, and show off how many times they have been banned like noddy badges.
Bizarrely enough the less the 'level' of the tracker the worse this problem is because of how disposable the a/c is in the eyes of the collector/trader.
It is this kind of moronic collecting which is the true problem and causes tracker staff so much grief.
The problem really is how do you define 'good trading' as opposed to 'bad trading' ? A line has to be drawn somewhere, these websites set themselves up as private trackers not public ones. They did this to offer a certain security to their members and also give better speeds than hit n run land does.
So although there are examples of great users who were traders like you puckface, from my own experience they tend to be the minority and anyone who deals with the other side, with users lying all the time and the bullshit stories you have to listen to sometimes, it tends to harden you to a certain extent, luckily however a certain percentage simply aren't that bright.
The point I am trying to make is that trading has the capacity to do great damage to a tracker website from leeching & banned members through to trophy a/c's nursed along to show someone's e-peen, not all traders or trades do this I agree, but the collector attitude and the marketplace of values based on tracker levels doesn't ultimately do the trackers themselves alot of good, how can it?
I understand you as an individual and your motives I do not understand the whole marketplace mentality of the collectors passing memberships around like baseball cards.

mrnobody
03-17-2010, 10:33 PM
imo most who trade are doing so for rarity shit.

1) buffer in "low level" tracker, get invites
2) trade invite/buffered account for "high level" tracker
2.5) if banned, register a dupe account, and start tracker bash @ fst
2.51) if banned, be sure to get another account/invite to the tracker and abuse it to max
3) repeat

i would assume it's like a game to them, collecting baseball cards and whatnot.

sure some trade just to get in trackers that they want to and they stay clean and contribute to sites they like. But that's probably the vast minority.

thizzkid
03-17-2010, 10:35 PM
THis is BT not anarchy

There are rules, and I feel that it is morally wrong to break them.
We are a community of ppl "BT" and we ahve rules to abide by

Anywhere you go are rules, You say "We are a bunch of ppl breaking rules, why follow tracker rules"

Well go to prison, its filled with ppl that break rules for a living, and they have rules/morals then ever.

Oh yeah

Traders are scum

Rart
03-17-2010, 11:05 PM
But why is HONOR used as a word here? Why is morality brought into the subject, while calling traders people with corrupt morals? Am I the only one that sees the irony in all of this? Surely someone else realizes this is all so very wrong.

It kind of reminds me of the concept behind "stealing" other sites uploads. Oh, it's "morally wrong" and unacceptable to "steal" a bland old scene release from SCC to upload to your tracker, yet it's used in the same context where everyone is already "stealing" files? Really? Do they have any idea how hypocritical that sounds?

Oh yeah

Traders are scum

Congratulations on ignoring the entire point of the thread. :rolleyes:

puckface
03-18-2010, 01:19 AM

I absolutely understand your point of view puckface, and personally know other ex-traders like you that are similarly great members of the trackers they belong to. But 4pirates & shalafi are also traders, as was tudor/basilheydens/trollin thunder and what exactly have these individuals done for the torrenting community ?
These are only a few examples, and I agree extreme ones, but there are two types of traders, there are those like you that trade for personal use, and then there are the collectors.
Trading simply to have 'it' but then becoming bored and discarding the membership is a security risk for the tracker, the account is no longer that of the person and quite often these accounts end up in the hands of previously banned users, who were banned for legitimate reasons.
Active traders usually aren't desirable as members because they are too busy covering their tracks to participate in the tracker much, the a/c is just kept ticking over because it is a trophy a/c. Often with this type of trader the a/c was created with the intention of passing it on, an anonymous throwaway email and the minimum needed to keep the a/c active. These a/c's can be passed on several times, and then of course there are the buffered a/c's created simply so that someone can hit'n'run the a/c to death then go on to the next buffered a/c.
All of this is a direct consequence of trading, or rather the second type of trading, where a/c's are treated as baseball cards. There are forums out there where users brag how many times they are a member at trackers, and show off how many times they have been banned like noddy badges.
Bizarrely enough the less the 'level' of the tracker the worse this problem is because of how disposable the a/c is in the eyes of the collector/trader.
It is this kind of moronic collecting which is the true problem and causes tracker staff so much grief.
The problem really is how do you define 'good trading' as opposed to 'bad trading' ? A line has to be drawn somewhere, these websites set themselves up as private trackers not public ones. They did this to offer a certain security to their members and also give better speeds than hit n run land does.
So although there are examples of great users who were traders like you puckface, from my own experience they tend to be the minority and anyone who deals with the other side, with users lying all the time and the bullshit stories you have to listen to sometimes, it tends to harden you to a certain extent, luckily however a certain percentage simply aren't that bright.
The point I am trying to make is that trading has the capacity to do great damage to a tracker website from leeching & banned members through to trophy a/c's nursed along to show someone's e-peen, not all traders or trades do this I agree, but the collector attitude and the marketplace of values based on tracker levels doesn't ultimately do the trackers themselves alot of good, how can it?
I understand you as an individual and your motives I do not understand the whole marketplace mentality of the collectors passing memberships around like baseball cards.

Yup, there are always assholes. Traders and non-traders the same. Agreed.

I just feel that generalization of anyone (traders here) is bullshit.

Quarterquack
03-18-2010, 02:25 AM
THis is BT not anarchy

There are rules, and I feel that it is morally wrong to break them.
We are a community of ppl "BT" and we ahve rules to abide by

Anywhere you go are rules, You say "We are a bunch of ppl breaking rules, why follow tracker rules"

Well go to prison, its filled with ppl that break rules for a living, and they have rules/morals then ever.

Oh yeah

Traders are scum

Have you read the darn thread or did you just read one sentence and assumed you knew what I was talking about? Keep your uninformed, irrelevant, idiotic remarks to yourself next time.

P2PDog
03-18-2010, 02:37 AM

Spend some time in a help channel. I guarantee your opinion of traders will change considerably. Sure, there are always exceptions, but the vast majority are lying, cheating, selfish douchebags.

A
03-18-2010, 02:48 AM
A terrorist country is called terrorist because of the vast majority of terrorist inclined people of the country where good people also exists.Trading is the same,Good members and bad members exist but bad outweighs good by a large proportion.Generalisation is inevitable

sez
03-18-2010, 06:23 AM
I agree with chinchi11as and basically what most of you have said.It should precipitate some thinking when you see somebody make a request for an invite yet in that same thread apprise you on how his trade thread for the same is fairing.

Personally I'd call that stupid but considering the fact that we came to know of BT differently ,then I think excuses like culture become admissible.Some of these people truly don't know what is expected of them on trackers regardless of what that wall of text of rules say.I don't know what percentage of you guys read EULAs while installing apps but I figure that number is as small as of those traders who bother to read tracker rules let alone take them seriously.

Not all traders are bad,some of these people have proven to be really useful.Personally I know of one whose name appears on /staff.php of a famous ratioless tracker that he happened to trade his way into.Call that selfish?No,he tried everything else to get in there but this was the only way that worked for a tracker that he really needed and knew he would enjoy.

So yes most traders are scum(and romania tops this list),

Some are just victims of ignorance,circumstance and illiteracy(most of indo-paki n the middle east falls here) but clearly not all traders encapsulate the term shitbag.

sear
03-18-2010, 06:52 AM
Well art put it fairly well, though he should use the enter key more :P but I'd like to add that for me it's turning the hard work of others that they've give you freely into a commodity. Tracker staff, the coders, admins, sysops, mods all put in a great deal of time, effort and risk for nothing more than the joy of staffing. They've created private communities for friends and friends of friends to come and share warez. They don't want just any tom dick and harry joining up. They want people who know each other and are likely to respect the community. It's as simple as that it's just disrespecting something that is there to be shared with people you know...otherwise it may as well be a public tracker.

There are other concerns as well but they've been covered fairly well.

IdolEyes787
03-18-2010, 01:24 PM
.Personally I know of one whose name appears on /staff.php of a famous ratioless tracker that he happened to trade his way into.Call that selfish?No,he tried everything else to get in there but this was the only way that worked for a tracker that he really needed and knew he would enjoy.

This is not an indictment of trading or anyone in particular but you lost me with that comment.
First you said he "needed" it .Clearly no one no matter who they are ,where they live or what they want out of life "needs" any bittorrent tracker ,it simply comes down to (selfish)desire .
If that person felt that whatever personal morals he had were worth tossing away for that particular tracker rather than being laudable it is both hypocritical and ( again) self-serving (selfish).
Then you go on to say he did it because he "knew" he would would enjoy it.
The only thing I have to say to that is it must be nice to be prescient .

Quarterquack
03-18-2010, 01:41 PM
I just noticed staff members (well tracker representatives, which in my eyes are all on one panel) saying it was unethical to get someone to buffer one's account. I don't understand that mentality.

This all reminds me of when people were railing on UBiTSA for making the SCC-ScT theme, and he said something along the lines of "We're a bunch of pirates downloading shit on a torrent tracker, stop trying to assume the moral high ground".

puckface
03-18-2010, 02:20 PM

Spend some time in a help channel. I guarantee your opinion of traders will change considerably. Sure, there are always exceptions, but the vast majority are lying, cheating, selfish douchebags.

Im sure the ones that use the help channel are.

But I can see my efforts are fruitless

Let me drone on like a good little FST member: traders are scum, traders are scum. Now were all happy eh?

hagckz0r
03-18-2010, 04:08 PM
traders ftw?

sez
03-18-2010, 04:30 PM
.Personally I know of one whose name appears on /staff.php of a famous ratioless tracker that he happened to trade his way into.Call that selfish?No,he tried everything else to get in there but this was the only way that worked for a tracker that he really needed and knew he would enjoy.

This is not an indictment of trading or anyone in particular but you lost me with that comment.
First you said he "needed" it .Clearly no one no matter who they are ,where they live or what they want out of life "needs" any bittorrent tracker ,it simply comes down to (selfish)desire .
If that person felt that whatever personal morals he had were worth tossing away for that particular tracker rather than being laudable it is both hypocritical and ( again) self-serving (selfish).
Then you go on to say he did it because he "knew" he would would enjoy it.
The only thing I have to say to that is it must be nice to be prescient .

and this is why context should always precede the language morphology.So contextually speaking,when I said 'he "knew" he would enjoy it' ,I clearly didn't mean that as the prophetic knew,I meant it to be understood as a metaphor for a wall of text describing what he did or how resourceful he proved to be to eventually make it to staff.
Same for the need bit.I clearly didn't mean it like "haiti needs us".

the principles of right and wrong don't mean the same thing to everyone.While you and I might agree that trading does more harm than good to a tracker,I don't think its accurate to take our disagreement with the act to ethical levels.Its wrong and if anything,its a rather empty understanding of the wider debate on morality.

See what I just did there?you wouldn't allow me to use the word "need" so am equally not allowing you to use "morality" as you please :P

ca_aok
03-18-2010, 06:10 PM
I don't really think they're scum, however I do find most of the ones here particularly idiotic.

I also think they deserve what they get if they get caught. If you're going to trade, don't come here and whine when you get caught by staff. Also, don't beg for invites in the invite request system so that you can then use those accounts as trading fodder (see: some recent FTN requests for example). Who the hell would waste an invite on someone who's then going to profit off it? You're better off sticking to your trading forum rather than lying through your teeth about how you don't trade.

There's also a huge difference between someone who makes a one time trade for a site they really want, and then become a decent user, rather than the idiots here with hundreds of accounts that do it out of spite for tracker rules, or as a hobby.

b3owulf
03-19-2010, 02:05 PM
It kind of reminds me of the concept behind "stealing" other sites uploads. Oh, it's "morally wrong" and unacceptable to "steal" a bland old scene release from SCC to upload to your tracker, yet it's used in the same context where everyone is already "stealing" files? Really? Do they have any idea how hypocritical that sounds?
Offtopic: Well, this isn't official but AFAIK SCC admins won't ban you for just reuploading regular Scene stuff unless you're doing it with autobot.