PDA

View Full Version : Windows Media Player

arghwashier
10-22-2003, 11:52 PM
Hi for some reason there's no sound from WMP 9 from either of my cd-roms. when I play audio cd it plays mp3's etc fine and roxio player plays audio cd's from both my cd-rom.

Anybody know what's going on?

Thank's in advance

dingoBaby
10-23-2003, 12:10 AM
If you go to Tools/Options/Devices are your drives recongnized?

arghwashier
10-23-2003, 12:14 AM
Yup it plays them gets the media infermation from the internet just nu sound. I tried playing other media like streaming audio and mp3's they play fine (I cheched the volume and mute on my speakers and in wmp ;) )

muchspl2
10-23-2003, 01:49 AM
PLEASE DO NOT GET THE LASTEST VERSION OF WMP OR CONTINUE TO USE WMP9
once you get wmp9, you can't get rid of it PLUS it has DRM

what the hell is drm you ask
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/drm.aspx

ohh well I'll just un-install it if its so bad

you can't, there is no un-install of wmp9
http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104-957704.html

from the link:
Windows Me and XP users must rely on a feature called "System Restore" to roll back their Windows installation to a time before they installed Media Player 9 Series if the want to uninstall it. The clunky alternative doesn't really remove all Windows Media Player 9 Series files and could potentially wipe out other system changes.

Mïcrösöül°V³
10-23-2003, 02:30 AM
use musicmatch jukebox to play audio, and wmp to play movies. thats what i do :D and if all else fails, re-install, cuz system retore is a piece of shit that does nothing but junk up your programs and make you feel like you accomplished something. And if you really wanna feel vindicated, download XP pro Corp and give it to all your friends who have lesser OS's just for spite. ( i know.....I'm retarded :wacko: )

noname12
10-23-2003, 02:37 AM
Originally posted by muchspl2@23 October 2003 - 01:49
PLEASE DO NOT GET THE LASTEST VERSION OF WMP OR CONTINUE TO USE WMP9
once you get wmp9, you can't get rid of it PLUS it has DRM

what the hell is drm you ask
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/drm.aspx

ohh well I'll just un-install it if its so bad

you can't, there is no un-install of wmp9
http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104-957704.html

from the link:
Windows Me and XP users must rely on a feature called "System Restore" to roll back their Windows installation to a time before they installed Media Player 9 Series if the want to uninstall it. The clunky alternative doesn't really remove all Windows Media Player 9 Series files and could potentially wipe out other system changes.
Well I'm pretty much buggered, update my windows and had all updates included even WM9 and I have system restore off :lol: oh well, I guess I am 0wned by the DRM now. :lol:

muchspl2
10-23-2003, 02:40 AM
I'd recommend agienst MusicMatch also it has Spyware (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=musicmatch+spyware&spell=1)

from the link
http://www.jms1.net/mmjb.html

These requests contained my MMJB registration code, which means that the MusicMatch people know exactly when I run their software, as well as a rough idea of where I am (by virtue of my IP address.) This by itself bothers me, but keep reading...

My next step was to insert a CD that I had received for Chrismas and rip the tracks for download to my MP3 player. MMJB sent a request to their servers again, with the ID numbers from the CD, asking for information about the CD- the artist, album name, and track names. This is fine, and is almost exactly what I expected to see, although I think it should have asked for permission before sending any query at all.

However, these requests ALSO contained my MMJB registration key, which means they also know what CD's I'm listening to, even though I have turned off the checkbox to participate in their music-listening database.

Their privacy policy states (in section 2) that the program will use the CDDB service "OR" their own service. However, the software automatically went to their servers, and doesn't have any way to choose which service to use. I would prefer to use a public CDDB service, but there is no way to change this in the software.

In addition, their privacy policy states that the software sends an "MMUID" code instead of any personally identifiable information. The fact is that my copy of the software is sending a blank MMUID along with my registration code. This is a direct contradiction of their privacy policy. Since I purchased my original copy of MMJB from them, and have registered the software, my registration code is "personally identifiable information".

EDIT: @noname12
you have the option to install it thats how they get away with it, you can untick it as a install option,
just most don't know how bad it is, try to get the word out

noname12
10-23-2003, 02:47 AM
Phew thats good because I am pretty sure if it was a selectable option on the installation I unchecked it, it wanted to install stuff that connect to the net anything that had that I didnt install it :)

Edit: To the question, isnt there a wire that comes with the drive that should be connect to the mother board, its an audio wire, thin and a small head. My friend had a problem once playind any type of CD, but internal sounds work, and it turned out he forgot to connect that wire.

Mïcrösöül°V³
10-23-2003, 03:07 AM
yea, that would do it. it connects between the drive and the sound card or mobo in the audio in slot. and that kind of bums me out, cuz i bought musicmatch lifetime upgrade about 2 years ago, and i cant remember if i unchecked that or not.................oh well, im a rebel.........skating the thin line between law abiding and just plain retarded...................stand back, I'm gunna explode.. :blink:

arghwashier
10-23-2003, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by noname12@23 October 2003 - 02:47
Phew thats good because I am pretty sure if it was a selectable option on the installation I unchecked it, it wanted to install stuff that connect to the net anything that had that I didnt install it :)

Edit: To the question, isnt there a wire that comes with the drive that should be connect to the mother board, its an audio wire, thin and a small head. My friend had a problem once playind any type of CD, but internal sounds work, and it turned out he forgot to connect that wire.
The wires are connected, I know because I do hear somethng when I play audio cd with Roxio

MUSLEMAN
10-23-2003, 08:30 AM
here is a dumb question have you checked your volume for wmp9???

arghwashier
10-23-2003, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by MUSLEMAN@23 October 2003 - 08:30
here is a dumb question have you checked your volume for wmp9???
yeah both volume and mute in wma. like i said it plays other sound files no problem and other plyers play the cd's it probably a setting somewhere but where (and in which program)?

j4y3m
10-23-2003, 09:35 AM
WMP Is Good <_<

arghwashier
10-23-2003, 01:32 PM
So I opened my computer my soundcard (creative audigy 2)is not connected to my cd-roms but both roxio audiocentral player and creative mediasource play audio cd&#39;s

muchspl2
10-23-2003, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by stupidguy@23 October 2003 - 10:35
WMP Is Good <_<
are you trying to be funny are just ignorant to what I posted

cosmic doobie
10-23-2003, 06:40 PM
could be a soundcard driver conflict - update all drivers for your sound card and see if the problem still perisists.

muchspl2
10-23-2003, 06:43 PM
is it a bootleg cd or a bought cd
drm is know for very bad things

Izagaia
10-23-2003, 08:49 PM
Perhaps this may be relevant:

I use a common no-nonsense soundcard, Creative&#39;s Soundblaster 5.1 value. When I first installed WMP9, I noticed that the player was pointed in the direction of my soundcard, however the soundcard itself did not recognize the software. I had to manually go into the soundcard software itself and point it back towards WMP9.exe .

Regardless, I could use my "default sound device" no matter what was pointed where.

So basically, is the software, that came with your card, pointed towards the media player? And if you so happen to have an integrated video/sound/lan device installed on your system; does WMP9 recognize that as an alternative?

arghwashier
10-23-2003, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by Izagaia@23 October 2003 - 20:49
So basically, is the software, that came with your card, pointed towards the media player? And if you so happen to have an integrated video/sound/lan device installed on your system; does WMP9 recognize that as an alternative?
Not sure what this is, so I guess no. Anyway I got one of my cd-roms to output an audio cd by changing the playback from digital to analog however this did nothing for my other cd-rom.

However both cd-roms still work with other media players as mentioned :&#39;(

muchspl2
10-23-2003, 10:46 PM
after all I posted about WMP9 you still want to use it

scribblec
10-23-2003, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by muchspl2+23 October 2003 - 18:11--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (muchspl2 @ 23 October 2003 - 18:11)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-stupidguy@23 October 2003 - 10:35
WMP Is Good <_<
are you trying to be funny are just ignorant to what I posted [/b][/quote]
its is good......
but the one that comes with windows is
thats the one i use
it the best one ive tried all that other crap but this has the best playlist manager plays films , has swirly patterns when u play music

i just love this

also drm is not new at all ive said all along its a chunk of shit (mind my german)

muchspl2
10-23-2003, 10:51 PM
and I use winamp, can do everthing with out rewriting the header of a mp3, witch WMP does

hell WMP does not even allow you to change some important settings, reading of the EULA reveals it is actually illegal to prevent the automatic updating. Presumably its part of the renewability system

fuck that noise

arghwashier
10-23-2003, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by muchspl2@23 October 2003 - 22:46
after all I posted about WMP9 you still want to use it
Well it&#39;s there can&#39;t get rid of it like your article said ( Irun XP proand it came pre-intalled) so I if I can&#39;t get rid of it at least I want it working.

muchspl2
10-23-2003, 11:13 PM
xp has wmp8 installed, when you update you have the choice to UN CLICK the install of wmp9, and if you don&#39;t use it, it can&#39;t re-write the header, I think it changes some of the good music to the screechy shit that is going around, it been posted on other boards that if you have two hard drives and play a mp3 in wmp9(from HD 1) it rewrites the header to the mp3 (on HD 2)

moral:
if you don&#39;t got it, Don&#39;t get it and if you do got it, Don&#39;t use it

arghwashier
10-23-2003, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by muchspl2@23 October 2003 - 23:13
xp has wmp8 installed, when you update you have the choice to UN CLICK the install of wmp9, and if you don&#39;t use it, it can&#39;t re-write the header, I think it changes some of the good music to the screechy shit that is going around, it been posted on other boards that if you have two hard drives and play a mp3 in wmp9(from HD 1) it rewrites the header to the mp3 (on HD 2)

moral:
if you don&#39;t got it, don&#39;t get it and if you do got it, don&#39;t use it
well i got it courtesy of dell

Izagaia
10-24-2003, 01:50 AM
You may have already tried this or are aware how to configure this setting but just to be certain:

open WMP9

tools>options>devices

select "speakers" and then the "properties tab". This will tell you exactly where the player is looking for a sound device. If your soundcard is installed properly, you should see it listed in the dropdown. You can select it from there along with any other audio devices you have installed as well.

However since the software that comes with each manufacturer differs, there is no way I could tell you how to set-up your soundcard so that WMP9 properly recognizes it. But I could tell you that Creative Labs seems to make you have to run their install software before the device is fully functional.

I could also tell you that Winamp seems to have no problems with any sound device what-so-ever. But like you, I prefer to use my Windows inherent components and in doing so, think it better that they "work" like they are supposed to.

Though an "integrated" card is pretty much a generic device that handles all graphics, audio and ethernet capabilities of your system. Pretty much everyone who purchases a system "off the shelf" has one. I doubt that anyone who has built his/her own system would bother with such a thing. Think of an integrated card as the thing for people who cannot afford to go out and purchase seperate components to handle these attributes.

InverseKinetix
10-24-2003, 03:02 AM
WMP is shite, forget that it even exists. Latest version of winamp will play CDs no problem. Its not your soundcard or anything like that, its WMP. I dont know how many people have had the same problem. Dont use it.

muchspl2
10-24-2003, 03:05 AM
I don&#39;t get it either after all I pointed out people still want the shit
I repeat, fuck that noise

arghwashier
10-24-2003, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by Izagaia@24 October 2003 - 01:50
You may have already tried this or are aware how to configure this setting but just to be certain:

open WMP9

tools>options>devices

select "speakers" and then the "properties tab". This will tell you exactly where the player is looking for a sound device. If your soundcard is installed properly, you should see it listed in the dropdown. You can select it from there along with any other audio devices you have installed as well.

However since the software that comes with each manufacturer differs, there is no way I could tell you how to set-up your soundcard so that WMP9 properly recognizes it. But I could tell you that Creative Labs seems to make you have to run their install software before the device is fully functional.

I could also tell you that Winamp seems to have no problems with any sound device what-so-ever. But like you, I prefer to use my Windows inherent components and in doing so, think it better that they "work" like they are supposed to.

Though an "integrated" card is pretty much a generic device that handles all graphics, audio and ethernet capabilities of your system. Pretty much everyone who purchases a system "off the shelf" has one. I doubt that anyone who has built his/her own system would bother with such a thing. Think of an integrated card as the thing for people who cannot afford to go out and purchase seperate components to handle these attributes.
yeah tried it didn&#39;t work

oh and muchspl2

i&#39;ve tried to download about 10 different versions of winamp and they are all infected by trojans virusses or worms.

muchspl2
10-24-2003, 11:02 AM
don&#39;t get it off kazza, get it off their freaking website
http://classic.winamp.com/

and I would reccomend the inhancer for a good sound here the link
http://www.i-adrian.home.ro/enhancer.htm
, never underestamite the power of google, its your friend