PDA

View Full Version : Dedis With Multi-TB Harddrives

PancakeWaffles
03-18-2010, 05:39 AM
Yeay first topic, let's have a party.

Anyways I am trying to find all the server providers who have hard drives that total multiple terabytes so the total size equals atleast 5 tb. The reason for this is a site I am a member of has only one real weakness and that is retention. I figure if I get on a multi-terabyte I could probably really help the sites retention.

The only thing I see even remotely like this is Kimsufi SF series, but I know there has to competition somewhere, I just need help finding it.

Thanks in advance if you help out, if you don't help out your just mean! :P

PerMaFrOsT
03-18-2010, 05:47 AM
Budget?

PancakeWaffles
03-18-2010, 05:58 AM
Budget?

Well the main server I was looking at was the Kimsufi FS-10T, it costs about 135, but could probably go to around 200 per month if I can find something better. I know low budget for what I want, but it's because I am comparing it to that server as that is the only choice I see as of yet.

L33cH
03-18-2010, 01:00 PM
SuperPlan Storage

http://www.ovh.co.uk/products/superplan_storage.xml

if you need order pm me

BABBY
03-18-2010, 01:40 PM
i think u are asking for somethning imposible.

because its a general and simple thing that more the data u hold on your seedbox the lesser it will give speed as it consumes more ram.

even if u have i7 processor with 16 gb ram and 5 tb harddisk with 1 gbps dedicated connection it would be difficult to upload over 5 mbps as almost every bit of ram is used by u in just data processing at high upload speed.

(The same thing happens in your home computer, but as the upload speed is lees comparatively very less ram is consumed)

more over it will be extrememly expensive to have a seedbox like the above configuration.

Its always better to download the stuffs in your harddrive and then seed from your home connection.

Its better u upgrade your home connection.

moreover if u fill your 5 tb of harddrive than your seedbox will crash many times and it will take a long time checking all the data on your seedbox.

seeding large amount of data on a single seedbox is never fruitful.

downloading data to your personal computer and then seeding it is the best solution.

If u want a clear picture of what i am saying than do the following thing and then do the comparison of speed.

(1) just stop all the torrents in your seedbox and just put a new torrent of SCC or tl in it and watch the speed.

(2)now resume all the torrents in your seedbox and just see the speed

u will notice that the 1st case will give u more speed than the second case, this is what i am talking of

if u are having 5 tb of data in seedbox and if u are uploading them at 5 mbps or lower than i think its useless to have such a seedbox. better be the same thing (seeding) be done from home.

cherio
03-18-2010, 02:41 PM
dedicatedpros resell ovh and server.lu with terabyte drives

Thelen
03-18-2010, 11:22 PM
pancake you won't find any more storage than the KS FS series, though they do cost a pretty penny. Whichever way you do it it will be expensive, there are providers that can do as much space as you want to pay for, but then it will be like $150 setup per 1.5TB disk... Though that is on unmetered dedicated so you'd get a load of transfer too.

babby you are totally wrong. With even 4TB of torrents in rtorrent, it will easily still transfer at 100Mbit since hardly any will actually be very active nor transferring very fast. With that many torrents RAM is irrelevant, and 4-12 disks is a pretty mean amount of disk IO, far more than 10MB/s.

BABBY
03-18-2010, 11:37 PM
babby you are totally wrong. With even 4TB of torrents in rtorrent, it will easily still transfer at 100Mbit since hardly any will actually be very active nor transferring very fast. With that many torrents RAM is irrelevant, and 4-12 disks is a pretty mean amount of disk IO, far more than 10MB/s.

i had i7 seedbox last month, believe me i only keep one torrent of 4gb and i have got 100mbps speed. if i keep 5 torrents then i get 50 mbps upload rate.

I will be putting ss to prove this.

but right now i am not in a mood of taking ss, but i will surely edit my post and i will prove this by giving ss.

PancakeWaffles
03-19-2010, 04:25 AM
Well, speed is not my worry considering the bandwidth per month is like what 3 tb on those, so I guess since there is no competition to it I will have to go with that.

Thelen
03-19-2010, 07:05 AM
Yea but babby, those 5 torrents would be actively transferring yea?

Well we are talking about mainly inactive torrents or low speed if anything ;)

anyway pancake, if 3TB + 10Mbit sounds enough with the FS series, definitely go ahead with one of them! though be prepared to pay a shitload of setup :(

SeedboxUser
03-31-2010, 09:04 AM
I've been looking around for such a solution. I see that dediexperts seemingly have a very good price on the SP-09 Storage (4x1.5TB) server, but the offer is so good compared to other resellers that I'm a bit sceptical.

Does anyone here have any experience with dediexperts?

PerMaFrOsT
03-31-2010, 12:36 PM
If you pay in euros instead of pounds, I may also do a good offer for a SP-Storage ;)

r0bkupf
04-14-2010, 12:38 PM
OVH caps bandwidth!!

go with:

www.keyweb.de (high setup fees but no bandwidth limit)