PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Movie Pirate ‘maVen’ Sent To Jail

iLOVENZB
03-18-2010, 07:39 AM
http://torrentfreak.com/images/maven.jpgCanadian Movie Pirate ‘maVen’ Sent To Jail
March 17, 2010

" Geremi Adam, a member of the movie release group ‘maVen’ has been sentenced to two and a half months in prison. The 27 year-old Montreal resident, who was referred to the Canadian police by the FBI, pleaded guilty to distributing two major motion pictures.

Half a decade ago ‘maVen (http://www.vcdquality.com/index.php?genre=1&grp=1193)‘ was one of the most active movie release groups on the Internet, known for distributing high quality ‘Telesync‘ versions of major blockbuster titles. In the summer of 2006 ‘maVen’ releases suddenly halted, and it later became apparent that the FBI had caught one of its key members.

An FBI investigation into ‘maVen’ had been running for some time and was handed to the Canadian Police in April 2006. A few months later Geremi Adam was arrested after he allegedly recorded the movies “How to Eat Fried Worms” and “Invincible” at a Montreal movie theater.

They seized his laptop and other equipment and later released him, only for him to be arrested again at another theater just a month later. According to the police, Adam had been selling copies of movies on the Internet using the alias ‘maVen,’ which were then re-sold on the web and the streets.

Following Adam’s arrest came a 14 month wait as the police combed computer systems and equipment looking for evidence to convict him. The FBI had labeled (http://torrentfreak.com/police-charge-maven-world-leader-movie-piracy-071205/) him the ‘World Leader’ in Internet piracy and his case went before court several months later.

Today the verdict came in, and the Court sentenced (http://www.cbc.ca/canada/montreal/story/2010/03/16/film-pirating-sentencing.html) Adam to two and a half months in prison – the prosecution had demanded four. The defense lawyer had argued for community service because Adam suffers from depression and a troubled childhood, but despite these arguments, the Court decided to opt for a prison sentence.

As of today there are still dozens of ‘maVen’ releases available on BitTorrent, although most of these files have no active downloaders anymore. (orly fool? Possible because nobody wants to download TS' after a DVDRip or 1080p is out).

(My views)

"

:source: Source: Canadian Movie Pirate ‘maVen’ Sent To Jail (http://torrentfreak.com/canadian-movie-piracy-maven-sent-to-jail-100317/)

j6796713
03-18-2010, 08:54 PM
all the more reason for boycotting movie theaters, all the more reason to express my intrest in b-movies rather than corporate hollywood.

iJazz
03-18-2010, 09:02 PM
1 down 100000 to go...
Seriously, what have they won with this, only thing they have achieved is that they probably ruined a kids life.

Detale
03-18-2010, 11:39 PM
Damn Maven releases were really very good. Not just TS's either. There was another group like Mavensupplier or something as well.

1000possibleclaws
03-19-2010, 12:17 AM
2 and a half months ain't bad considering he was given a second chance. IMO serves the fucker right. Quit while you are ahead, you've been given a free pass the first time, why keep bootlegging?

Hopefully when he is released he won't revert back into his online warez social club. Doubt a second conviction will be as lenient.

iLOVENZB
03-19-2010, 08:27 AM
Does anyone seriously wonder what the FBI really knows?

Read this:

The FBI had labeled him the ‘World Leader’ in Internet piracy

So they know nothing about competitors or even other scene categories like 0Day or TV? What about the groups like xSRC who constantly release DVDSCR's or even BLUNTROLA who get their hands on BDSCR's?

I'm pretty sure an average p2per who's on private trackers knows more about the piracy table then the FBI.

RevFinch
03-20-2010, 06:05 AM
So we can all sleep easier now? Ridiculous.

sjames1682
03-22-2010, 12:38 AM
Hopefully he comes back and brings us more quality releases!

1000possibleclaws
03-22-2010, 03:20 AM

Yeah, that would be a smart idea :rolleyes:

Pwner101
03-23-2010, 03:14 PM
MavenSupplier was by far not even comparable to Maven.
Maven did his own releases...
those clowns in MavenSupplier were just doing p2p re-encodes.

Comparing them to one another is just ridiculous.

It depends which agents you ask...
The mere agents that do the apprehending in your home know nothing about much of anything regarding the groups or how anything works. While the higher ups have a pretty common knowledge of what groups are around.

ThorMAN
03-23-2010, 03:49 PM
As of today there are still dozens of ‘maVen’ releases available on BitTorrent, although most of these files have no active downloaders anymore. (orly fool? Possible because nobody wants to download TS' after a DVDRip or 1080p is out).

LOOOOL!

mindlock
03-24-2010, 10:53 AM
Never got a chance to see any of his releases, but only heard of their awesome quality....RIP MaVeN

SPG
03-24-2010, 09:08 PM

Yeah, that would be a smart idea :rolleyes:

hahaha i bet that he won't do an upload again :(

Xiomax
03-26-2010, 06:10 PM
2 and a half months? he is Laughing his ass off :P

iLOVENZB
03-27-2010, 03:42 AM
^^^ It's not as if he was caught more than once.

gamesover
03-28-2010, 09:16 AM
1 down 100000 to go...
Seriously, what have they won with this, only thing they have achieved is that they probably ruined a kids life.

Only two and a half months. That's not the end of his life imo. I've known plenty of people who have had longer prison stays than that. My best friend just got out of prison yesterday after serving seven months. It didn't kill him either.

iLOVENZB
03-29-2010, 05:43 AM
1 down 100000 to go...

Only two and a half months. That's not the end of his life imo. I've known plenty of people who have had longer prison stays than that. My best friend just got out of prison yesterday after serving seven months. It didn't kill him either.

Did he drop the soap? :shifty:

Seriously 2.5months ridicules, A friend of mine got longer for having a Marijuana plant.

gamesover
03-30-2010, 12:42 AM

Did he drop the soap? :shifty:

Seriously 2.5months ridicules, A friend of mine got longer for having a Marijuana plant.

Good thing Canada has some of the most relaxed marijuana laws on the planet :)

megabyteme
04-01-2010, 08:18 AM
maVen always released quality. Selling? IDK if that is true.

Sorry to hear he got busted.