PDA

View Full Version : Internet Explorer 9 Will Never Work on XP

Darth Sushi
03-19-2010, 02:13 AM
http://media.bestofmicro.com/internet-explorer-logo,S-4-85252-1.jpgInternet Explorer 9 Will Never Work on XP
By Kevin Parrish, March 18, 2010

" It's a modern browser for modern systems.

Tuesday Internet Explorer general manager Dean Hachamovitch introduced Internet Explorer 9 to MIX10 attendees. The reveal showed that the new browser is slated to support HTML5, hardware-accelerated graphics and text, and will also use a new JavaScript engine. Microsoft even made available a downloadable "platform preview," mainly designed for developers but was also open for general viewing.

However Tuesday we discovered that the IE9 platform preview wouldn't install on Windows platforms older than Vista SP2. The demo itself wasn't really usable as a browser: it lacked a full user interface. But despite its limitations, it was assumed that the lack of pre-Vista SP2 support was only applied to the current download.

That's not the case. In fact, Microsoft has now made it perfectly clear that Internet Explorer 9 will not work on Windows XP now or in the future. "Building a modern browser requires a modern operating system," Hachamovitch said during a press conference at the event.

For users of the older OS, Internet Explorer 8 might be the last new browser from Microsoft.

In related news, CNET reports (http://news.cnet.com/8301-13860_3-20000561-56.html) that Hachamovitch also briefly talked about codecs Microsoft will support in Internet Explorer 9, however Hachamovitch would only "commit to H.264." "

:source: Source: http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Internet-Explorer-Windows-XP-Windows-7,news-6186.html

1000possibleclaws
03-19-2010, 05:56 AM
IE is only a tool to get onto mozilla.com to download Firefox. If you can't use Version 9 on XP, well, no big deal!

RevFinch
03-19-2010, 06:06 AM
IE is only a tool to get onto mozilla.com to download Firefox. If you can't use Version 9 on XP, well, no big deal!

+1

How much longer until MSIE is the new Netscape?

Cabalo
03-19-2010, 06:09 AM

Indeed. It's the only time I use IE. And now no longer, as in win7 you have the option to install different browsers.

Besides, who in their right mind uses XP ?

thisguy
03-19-2010, 07:10 AM

i totally agree with you there and what ever happened to microsoft providing support for xp up until 2014 seems to me like there not keeping there end of the bargain lol

Sporkk
03-19-2010, 07:41 AM
They are making x264 the standard way to play video with html 5. Mozilla has to find some way to offer a plugin for it otherwise they have to pay royalties for the proprietary format. Youtube already has a html5/x264 beta going.

Cut-Copy-Paste
03-19-2010, 09:27 AM
did some one said IE modern browser? :dry:

brilman
03-19-2010, 12:58 PM
Can't remember the last time I used IE :huh:
Seems Windows Media Center or networking don't play nice with Xp ether. I'll stick with 7 and Ubuntu. HEY Bill isn't that kind of forcing people to buy win7 (just saying...)

Sporkk
03-19-2010, 01:51 PM
HEY Bill isn't that kind of forcing people to buy win7 (just saying...)
Don't you mean Stevie?

technobob
03-19-2010, 05:12 PM
"Building a modern browser requires a modern operating system," had good chuckle on that statement. W7 is nothing more then a collection of DOS, 3.1, 95, 98, XP with some new window dressing. If MS really wants a modern day OS then they need to cut the strings and build a new architecture like Apple did with OSX.

Cabalo
03-19-2010, 05:24 PM
"Building a modern browser requires a modern operating system," had good chuckle on that statement. W7 is nothing more then a collection of DOS, 3.1, 95, 98, XP with some new window dressing. If MS really wants a modern day OS then they need to cut the strings and build a new architecture like Apple did with OSX.

:O Like what? Using a *nix distribution, revamp only the interface and not make it free?
Now that's revolutionary.

phauk
03-19-2010, 06:06 PM

lmao - couldn't agree more :happy:

killuminati96
03-19-2010, 06:27 PM
It's a good thing I recently switched to Chrome. It isn't perfect tho.

thisguy
03-19-2010, 07:23 PM

i agreee because windows 7 is only a .2 kernel difference from vista, thats not much of an upgrade !:frusty:

bastones
03-19-2010, 08:01 PM
I think it's a good thing that Microsoft will finally drop support for XP with IE9, apparently they will be doing the same for the next version of Office I heard (either this one (2010) or the one after that - I read an article on it a few months back). Either way, I've tried out IE9 Platform Preview and it seriously is fast - it loads pages crazy fast! I think IE9, especially with great improvements to speed, a new intuitive and compact, easy UI will be a great contender.

colbert
03-21-2010, 01:39 AM
Not a loss at all. IE is ancient history!

Appzalien
03-21-2010, 01:29 PM
Why would I worry about IE9 when I don't even like IE7 or 8?. And I'll be using XP until they come out with XP2 cause both Vista and 7 are absolute failures in my opinion. Its like going backward in time. Less configurable, less user friendly, more change for the sake of change not improvement. I hate 7, amd yes I used it exptensively and I just could not stomach its idiocy. Microsoft is operated and its softeware programmed by geeky morons.

KZEE
03-21-2010, 05:41 PM
who care
not using ie9 anyway

Xiomax
03-26-2010, 05:45 PM

I was about to say the same thing, Amen to that :D