PDA

View Full Version : Are Cliques Good Or Bad?

MediaSlayer
10-23-2003, 03:03 AM
My feeling is they are a guilty pleasure. Something you shouldn't like, but are powerless to stop liking it. In this thread (http://www.klboard.ath.cx/index.php?showtopic=62479&st=885), Lamsey says they're bad. What do you think?

sparsely
10-23-2003, 03:12 AM
sometimes my hard drive clicks.
that's REALLY bad :(

MediaSlayer
10-23-2003, 03:15 AM
that's it sparse, you are BANNED from my soulseek clique ;) ;) ;) :lol: :lol:

AussieSheila
10-23-2003, 03:21 AM
:o OMG! Uncovered and exposed! LMAO!

eeeeerrrrrrrr.......It's a very open clique.... we just luuuuuurve fresh blood.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

uNz[i]
10-23-2003, 04:26 AM
My 2 cents:

I think they are BAD. Why? Because they close folks out.

I've found that when I trying to talk to/help some of the members here.
They ask a question, I answer it, and just get totally ignored... there's not even a thankyou.

Some 'in' person comes along later, says the same thing (or just says something dumb as a joke) and my input just gets lost in a pile of spam.

Its very discouraging. :(

bigboab
10-23-2003, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by uNz[i
,23 October 2003 - 04:26] My 2 cents:

I think they are BAD. Why? Because they close folks out.

I've found that when I trying to talk to/help some of the members here.
They ask a question, I answer it, and just get totally ignored... there's not even a thankyou.

Some 'in' person comes along later, says the same thing (or just says something dumb as a joke) and my input just gets lost in a pile of spam.

Its very discouraging. :(
Yes this does happen ocassionally Unz. But remember you have helped. The satisfaction of having done that is all that matters. Acknowledgment can sometimes be overlooked in the spamming, and, sometimes genuine help is overlooked because of the fact that some members are only concerned with the replies of specific members(Hello Darling. :rolleyes: That should keep this thread alive. :lol: ) We all have to live with it. Relax and chill out. :rolleyes:

Billy_Dean
10-23-2003, 10:03 AM
The clique that Lamesy was referring to, is a group of us who arrived on this forum together, friends. We made a virtual nightclub, "Rikk and Cowsy's", one of many. We use them to help us settle into new forums, to keep in touch with friends, and to meet new people.

Lamesy's remark seemed to infer that it was a bad thing, that's bollocks! No-one on this forum is singled out for remarks like that, don't do it to us. We all contribute to this board in our own ways, as do you all, everyone of you.

The reason we stick together should be obvious, we're mates, we look after each other, one out, all out, that's how we are.

As for shutting people out, I'd like to see anyone offer a single example of any of us ever shutting anyone out. We are the opposite.

The word clique is not inherently bad, it can mean something as simple as a group of friends, as in our case. You could also call all of us, the whole forum, a clique.

:)

Lamsey
10-23-2003, 10:09 AM
Yup, I wasn't trying to insult your group, just making the point that they are somewhat cliqueish (hehe, another new word invented..).

It's certainly not a bad thing as such, I was just saying that some of the members of your group would get more out of BBs if they occasionally ventured outside of the 'clubs'.

bigboab
10-23-2003, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by Lamsey@23 October 2003 - 10:09
cliqueish (hehe, another new word invented..).

Sorry Bob it is already in the dictionary. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lamsey
10-23-2003, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by bigboab+23 October 2003 - 10:12--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bigboab @ 23 October 2003 - 10:12)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Lamsey@23 October 2003 - 10:09
cliqueish (hehe, another new word invented..).

Sorry Bob it is already in the dictionary. :lol: :lol: :lol: [/b][/quote]
Good grief, so it is. :blink:

Spelt it wrong, though... should be &#39;cliquish&#39;.

You learn something new every day. I guess I don&#39;t have to go to uni now :)

bigboab
10-23-2003, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by Lamsey@23 October 2003 - 10:09
Yup, I wasn&#39;t trying to insult your group, just making the point that they are somewhat cliqueish (hehe, another new word invented..).

It&#39;s certainly not a bad thing as such, I was just saying that some of the members of your group would get more out of BBs if they occasionally ventured outside of the &#39;clubs&#39;.
Both are correct versions. What am I doing Here? Standing in for JP? :lol:

AussieSheila
10-23-2003, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by Lamsey@23 October 2003 - 20:09

It&#39;s certainly not a bad thing as such, I was just saying that some of the members of your group would get more out of BBs if they occasionally ventured outside of the &#39;clubs&#39;.
;) We&#39;re working on it Lamsey, it&#39;s scary out there&#33;

:lol: :lol: :lol:

j2k4
10-23-2003, 05:13 PM
I have somewhat the opposite problem, at least from the standpoint of political views.

The "conservative" clique here numbers, depending, 1 (me), occasionally 2 (if young kAb is about), and potentially 3 (if the new guy shows up).

I think the very word, "clique" suffers connotations it does not warrant, much as the word "ignorant" has, over the years, become a pejorative.

Sad, really. :(

MagicNakor
10-23-2003, 10:25 PM
Cohort&#39;s another word that&#39;s become grossly misused. So&#39;s gay. And retard. And...

:ninja:

sparsely
10-23-2003, 10:35 PM
oh.
clubs.
yeah. they&#39;re dumb.

J'Pol
10-23-2003, 10:43 PM
To each their own.

Some people are only comfortable if they feel that they are part of a group of special friends. That is as true in real life as it is on the interweb. If that is what they need as a crutch then I have no problem with it.

Others are just obsequious and need a leader. No matter what anyone thinks, or choses to believe, a pecking order will be formed in any group. It&#39;s just the way we are.

Others still need to be that leader and are happy to have their followers, who will rally to their side no matter what happens. The ranks will close and the group will protect itself, no matter how stupid the reason.

I personally have been shown, in real life to be content to be removed from the pack, indeed to argue with the rest of the pack, when I disagree with it. No shit Sherlock I hear you cry. Sometimes this is a good thing, sometimes a bad thing. I can however say that, every time I have been tested in this way, this has always been the result. Some of you may be aware of how psyche testing works.

One thing I will say and I have said it before. To me loyalty is a very important thing. It may even be the most important thing. Some of us need to know that our back is covered, literally and figuratively. We must know that our friends will defend us in public. In private they may say - You are an arse - but in public they will stand by us.

I can say that, in my experience, Jonno is very much like that, where his friends are concerned. He will defend them and make it clear that he is doing so. I don&#39;t know this, but I feel that if he thinks it is appropriate he will chastise them privately.

The bottom line is that it is easy to judge another person by one&#39;s own standards, however unless and until we walk a mile in their moccasins, it is ultimately unfair. We don&#39;t know why they are how they are.

To each their own.

liquidacid
10-23-2003, 11:23 PM
The bottom line is that it is easy to judge another person by one&#39;s own standards, however unless and until we walk a mile in their moccasins, it is ultimately unfair. We don&#39;t know why they are how they are.

While often you completely disappear up your own bottom, these are very wise words. I hope your adulating young fans pay attention to this one.

Yogi
10-23-2003, 11:39 PM
While often you completely disappear up your own bottom, these are very wise words. I hope your adulating young fans pay attention to this one.

Yek&#33;
You beat me wi&#39; that.
Top.

Normally i lose jp mighty quickly, but this is "spot"&#33;

:) Yogi

J'Pol
10-23-2003, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by liquidacid@24 October 2003 - 00:23

Praise indeed, from someone whose posts have been nothing short of inspirational.

I remember with fondness your classic ....

I may, in you opinion, disappear up my own arse, you however never leave your&#39;s.

You occasionally throw out these "one-liners" and presumably think them clever. If intellectual masturbation is your proverbial cup of tea, so be it. However please take your condescension elsewhere. I for one find it tiresome.

TheDave
10-23-2003, 11:52 PM
jpaul, i prefer your lounge mode. you go into world events mode to much these days

clocker
10-24-2003, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by TheDave@23 October 2003 - 16:52
jpaul, i prefer your lounge mode. you go into world events mode to much these days
You think there&#39;s a difference?

I don&#39;t.

J'Pol
10-24-2003, 12:21 AM
The

Why can&#39;t people just post what they think and how they feel.

No mode, no hidden agenda. Just post / say what they think. Not for effect, not for reaction, just what they think. Without fear or favour.

Clocker

Thanks for that.

liquidacid
10-24-2003, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by JPaul@ 24 October 2003 - 00:51
Praise indeed, from someone whose posts have been nothing short of inspirational.

I remember with fondness your classic ....

I may, in you opinion, disappear up my own arse, you however never leave your&#39;s.

You occasionally throw out these "one-liners" and presumably think them clever. If intellectual masturbation is your proverbial cup of tea, so be it. However please take your condescension elsewhere. I for one find it tiresome.

Oh dear, what have i done. First off Jpaul, i don&#39;t post that often, usually when i do it is in software world. I don&#39;t see why i can be accused of being &#39;up my own arse&#39;, but then, you&#39;re on the defensive. The only time i&#39;ve really got on my high horse is with you and Balamm, both of you deserved it.

The fact of the matter is JPaul, i don&#39;t like the way you present yourself on this forum. Ever since your misogynistic ranting on the abortion thread i find your aggressive opinionatedness unsettling and often disturbing.

Oh yes, you may well use your flowery and verbose writing style to depict an apparently deep and intellectual personna, but anyone with a brain can see you for what you really are. A sad, middle aged man, trying too hard to impress.

AussieSheila
10-24-2003, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by liquidacid@24 October 2003 - 09:23

;) Well, I&#39;m not that young (except compared to JPaul j/k) but I am surely adulating. :D

Can I just point out here that our &#39;clique&#39; while it might seem like it&#39;s a very tight knit group who doesn&#39;t venture out much, the fact of the matter is that just a few short months ago, none of us knew each other. We&#39;ve met on various forums where we were all &#39;getting out&#39; individually.

Our group is ever expanding and now includes a fair smattering of Poms, a couple of Yanks, some Canadians, and recently a Scot also decided we had a lot of fun together, and he&#39;d stick around. KL is not the only forum we go to, some of our friends don&#39;t come here at all, preferring the cosier, friendlier atmosphere of smaller forums. They only come here if they feel one of our own needs defending, whether they do or not. :)

I&#39;m not really scared of posting on World News, I simply don&#39;t have the time to research properly, so I read it all, go have a play somewhere, and get back to real life. Most of us have families and jobs to take care of and spend waaaaay too much time on the computer as it is.

The nightclubs are set up everywhere we go, we are up to No 6 now, as a meeting point for all the people we meet around the world and we certainly do our best to make new people welcome. I&#39;m sure all our new overseas friends will vouch for that.

Anyway, I&#39;m off to do some work. You are all mighty fun and I enjoy the company of all of you, even if you don&#39;t know it. So come in and have a virtual drink sometime, talk some crap and have a laugh.

See ya round like a rissole&#33;

B) Andie

TheDave
10-24-2003, 12:33 AM
whats with the long words? this is stupid, why cant you use real ones. confusing people doesnt make any of you better.

Lamsey
10-24-2003, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by liquidacid@24 October 2003 - 00:26
Oh dear, what have i done. First off Jpaul, i don&#39;t post that often, usually when i do it is in software world. I don&#39;t see why i can be accused of being &#39;up my own arse&#39;, but then, you&#39;re on the defensive. The only time i&#39;ve really got on my high horse is with you and Balamm, both of you deserved it.

The fact of the matter is JPaul, i don&#39;t like the way you present yourself on this forum. Ever since your misogynistic ranting on the abortion thread i find your aggressive opinionatedness unsettling and often disturbing.

Oh yes, you may well use your flowery and verbose writing style to depict an apparently deep and intellectual personna, but anyone with a brain can see you for what you really are. A sad, middle aged man, trying too hard to impress.
Judging from your language there, I&#39;d say that you&#39;re a pot calling a kettle black.

JPaul uses a lot of varied and eloquent words because he appreciates that they make subtle differences to his meaning - this is an appropriate use of the breadth of English vocabulary which makes the language so rich and expressive.

He is rarely guilty of using six syllables where one will do, except when being facetious.

Smooch
10-24-2003, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by JPaul@24 October 2003 - 00:21
The

No mode, no hidden agenda. Just post / say what they think. Not for effect, not for reaction, just what they think. Without fear or favour.

Clocker

Thanks for that.
Because they may get ripped apart :)

Yogi
10-24-2003, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by Smooch+24 October 2003 - 01:42--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Smooch &#064; 24 October 2003 - 01:42)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-JPaul@24 October 2003 - 00:21
The

Clocker

Thanks for that.
Because they may get ripped apart :) [/b][/quote]
Because they probably :)get ripped apart

And JP is a mighty master there in his "rich and expressive" language......

:huh: Yogi

liquidacid
10-24-2003, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by Lamsey@ 24 October 2003 - 01:41
facetiousThanks Lamsey. That&#39;s the word i was looking for.

clocker
10-24-2003, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by Smooch+23 October 2003 - 17:42--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Smooch @ 23 October 2003 - 17:42)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-JPaul@24 October 2003 - 00:21
The

Clocker

Thanks for that.
Because they may get ripped apart :) [/b][/quote]
Sticks and stones

May break my bones,

But pixels cannot harm me.

Smooch
10-24-2003, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by SensualGardening+24 October 2003 - 00:51--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (SensualGardening @ 24 October 2003 - 00:51)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Smooch@24 October 2003 - 01:42
<!--QuoteBegin-JPaul@24 October 2003 - 00:21
The

Clocker

Thanks for that.
Because they may get ripped apart :)
Because they probably :)get ripped apart

And JP is a mighty master there in his "rich and expressive" language......

:huh: Yogi [/b][/quote]
Eh?

Yogi
10-24-2003, 12:58 AM
But pixels cannot harm me.

O, thy strong shoes feel so good......

Know that feeling,

It&#39;s just sadly not for all of us.......

:rolleyes: Yogi

clocker
10-24-2003, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by SensualGardening@23 October 2003 - 17:58

Know that feeling,

Is just not for all of us.......

Haiku?

Yogi
10-24-2003, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by clocker+24 October 2003 - 02:08--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (clocker @ 24 October 2003 - 02:08)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-SensualGardening@23 October 2003 - 17:58

Know that feeling,

Is just not for all of us.......

Haiku? [/b][/quote]
No. It&#39;s Yogi.

Sounds kind of poetic aswell, huh?

:lol: Yogi

Lamsey
10-24-2003, 01:10 AM
To express one&#39;s thoughts
In seventeen syllables
Is very diffic

Yogi
10-24-2003, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by Lamsey@24 October 2003 - 02:10
In seventeen syllables
Is very diffic
Sorry, just became 18 syll.

For poetic enhancing.

Yogi B)

clocker
10-24-2003, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by Lamsey@23 October 2003 - 18:10
In seventeen syllables
Is very diffic
I applaud your efforts.

Keep trying.

After years of practise I find that I can be inscrutible in any number of syllables.

It&#39;s a gift.

AussieSheila
10-24-2003, 01:14 AM
.......and the crowd roared &#39;I AM an individual&#39;

and a little voice piped up and said &#39;I&#39;m not.&#39;

B)

clocker
10-24-2003, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by AussieSheila@23 October 2003 - 18:14
.......and the crowd roared &#39;I AM an individual&#39;

and a little voice piped up and said &#39;I&#39;m not.&#39;

B)
Ah, another Jane Horrocks fan.

Excellent&#33;

AussieSheila
10-24-2003, 01:35 AM
Originally posted by clocker@24 October 2003 - 11:24

Excellent&#33;
:) Monty Python

B)

clocker
10-24-2003, 01:48 AM
Originally posted by AussieSheila+23 October 2003 - 18:35--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (AussieSheila @ 23 October 2003 - 18:35)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-clocker@24 October 2003 - 11:24

Excellent&#33;
:) Monty Python

B) [/b][/quote]
Ok Aussie, I admit I&#39;m lost.

My comment referred to Little Voice. (http://www.allwatchers.com/Topics/Info_4988.asp)

Yours?

AussieSheila
10-24-2003, 01:54 AM
:) I know about Little Voice, Billy Dean taught me to google. ;)

Ummmm, Life of Brian, maybe? That line has just always really appealed to me.

Studly
10-24-2003, 02:09 AM
He&#39;s NOT the massire, he&#39;s a very naughty boy :D

Hey Andie :)

AussieSheila
10-24-2003, 02:54 AM
B) Hi Studly, that&#39;s the one and he is&#33;

;) And so are you&#33; Took me a minute or so, should have known straight off.

:teehee:

Studly
10-24-2003, 04:02 AM
:D

How YOU Doin&#39; B)

;) :)

Jonno B)

infamousalbo101
10-24-2003, 04:03 AM
Originally posted by Studly@24 October 2003 - 00:02
:D

How YOU Doin&#39; B)

;) :)

Jonno B)
fine how about u :P

Studly
10-24-2003, 04:08 AM
Very funny <_< :rolleyes:

I&#39;m fine thankyou :P :lol:

Jonno B)

infamousalbo101
10-24-2003, 04:23 AM
sooo............umm u want a cookie http://www.lepra.org.uk/cookie.gif

no umm how bout oreo http://www.metroactive.com/papers/sonoma/12.23.99/gifs/oreo-9951.jpg

:P