PDA

View Full Version : Ms windows update

Frankthetank1
03-20-2010, 08:00 PM
just reinstalled windows. What update shouldnt I install? i heard there was one to stop piracy and or stop your windows from working

bonkers
03-20-2010, 08:07 PM
Kb971033 i believe!!!

But dont quote me on that

Frankthetank1
03-20-2010, 08:15 PM
looks like your correct
What is KB971033?

As part of its anti-piracy efforts, Microsoft recently released update KB971033 for Windows 7’s built in activation and validation system, called Windows Activation Technologies. This update is available through Window's built in updates system and is available free of charge.

What does it do?

KB971033 was designed to give Microsoft the ability to help you determine the legality of your Windows 7 installation. It does so by looking for software specially developed to circumvent the operating system’s genuine check. In its current state, according to the Genuine Windows blog, this update will be able to monitor the customer’s computer for over 70 known potentially dangerous hacks, cracks and exploits that might have been used. Those exploits might contain malware and might affect the user’s pc usage experience, the blog says.

How does it do it?

Once installed, update KB971033 will alert the user if it finds any malicious software that it was designed to locate. If it does find such a program, the user will be able to fix the problem, usually with just a few mouse clicks. Computers that are not affected by any of those programs will not display any messages, and the update will continue to run silently in the background.

What if it finds something?

If your computer is affected by some exploit, update KB971033 will give you two options. You will be able to go to Microsoft’s website for more information, and you will also be presented with an option to purchase a valid license for the copy of Windows 7 installed on your computer.

Will it fix my computer?

Yes, if your computer scans positively for a known exploit, update KB971033 will attempt to repair important core licensing system files that might have been tampered with by the exploit. If those files were disabled or removed, the update will regenerate a valid copy. The exploit will in that case be rendered useless and disabled.

Will it protect me against future threats?

Yes, update KB971033 will communicate with Microsoft’s servers every 90 days to download an updated index of exploits that have been released and might have compromised your computer.

Is this update mandatory?

No, by default the update is not selected in Windows Update, though we encourage users to install it. To do so, simply navigate to the Windows Update section of the control panel, and put a checkmark besides the update. The official name is: Update for Microsoft Windows (KB971033)

Tv Controls you
03-20-2010, 08:48 PM
Just don't update :-p... Problem solved

But yes KB971033 is one that currently gets most of the cracked versions.

KZEE
03-21-2010, 04:03 AM
that update is unchecked by default
so don;t worry

Appzalien
03-21-2010, 01:52 PM
Vista 32 bit has one too (kb940510) but its only listed for 32 bit users not 64 bit.

Frankthetank1
03-21-2010, 05:49 PM
was wonderin cause i couldnt find the update