PDA

View Full Version : About using SSL encryption

simon22
03-23-2010, 11:43 PM
Hi everyone, I need some help here please:

I tried to use SSL encryption but it didn't work.

"error occurred" unable to logon:server response:unable to connect (error:10061) connection refused.

I use newsleecher and I'm connected to my isp server.

I know that using SSL is not really that different from not using it, however, I would like to know why it doesn't work. I have set the port to 563 which was advised by newsleecher.

PS. I'm new to Usenet, so forgive me for being ignorant of its features.

Beck38
03-24-2010, 04:21 AM
Probably (extremely likely) because your lowly isp usenet server doesn't support SSL.

SSL was developed (and promoted) primarily to get around isps!

simon22
03-24-2010, 03:04 PM
I thought the SSL was forced on the network by the software that you used. I did not know that the ISPs could block you from using SSL. Is there a free sever that I could use that does support SSL.

cherio
03-24-2010, 03:13 PM
It's likely a firewall conflict. There are no free servers, but you can use free trials. Powerusenet gives 10GB for 5 days.

whiteboy
03-24-2010, 03:21 PM
I think the point of SSL is so your isp doesn't see what you are doing, but you are downloading from them so...

Also using SSL is not just a port. You need to have a special server address that they would provide.

This is how it is at astraweb
regular; us.news.astraweb.com
ssl; ssl-us.astraweb.com

simon22
03-24-2010, 09:56 PM
I think the point of SSL is so your isp doesn't see what you are doing, but you are downloading from them so...

Also using SSL is not just a port. You need to have a special server address that they would provide.

This is how it is at astraweb
regular; us.news.astraweb.com
ssl; ssl-us.astraweb.com

That is why I need to use ssl since I'm downloading from my isp, I have very little security but if I use ssl at least they wouldn't know what I am downloading.
I am quite happy with everything concerning speed and what have you. I also don't have traffic restrictions on my broadband. The law is changing here in the UK and I just wanted to be more secure.

Are there any other ways in which I can use ssl with my isp. I understand that I am downloading from them, nonetheless I would still be safer if it was ssl encrypted.

EchoBase
03-24-2010, 10:58 PM
What usenet provider are you using? Like someone mentioned before make sure you are using the appropriate server and ports.

bonkers
03-24-2010, 10:58 PM
who is your isp??

simon22
03-25-2010, 12:51 AM
What usenet provider are you using? Like someone mentioned before make sure you are using the appropriate server and ports.

who is your isp??

My ISP is virgin media. I use the port 563 as recommended by newsleecer which could be wrong. The server that I am connected to works just fine; except when I turn the SSL feature on then it doesn't work ... the address is news.virginmedia.com

bonkers
03-25-2010, 07:31 AM
have you tried another like altbinz or grabit there both free ;);)

simon22
03-25-2010, 07:28 PM
have you tried another like altbinz or grabit there both free ;);)
Thanks, I'll try them see what happens.

whiteboy
03-26-2010, 02:35 AM
who is your isp??

My ISP is virgin media. I use the port 563 as recommended by newsleecer which could be wrong. The server that I am connected to works just fine; except when I turn the SSL feature on then it doesn't work ... the address is news.virginmedia.com
If I'm not mistaken you need to be using a SSl server. As in they have to offer it. I dont believe you can just select port 563 and tick ssl. At least not with astra.
Its a whole separate server.

simon22
03-26-2010, 04:31 AM
If I'm not mistaken you need to be using a SSl server. As in they have to offer it. I dont believe you can just select port 563 and tick ssl. At least not with astra.
Its a whole separate server.
That could be the case. I have tried different clients but it didn't help. I don;t know if my ISP has SSL server. I have tried google search for SSL servers but I couldn't find any.
I am hoping someone has an answer to this problem.

the mighty
03-26-2010, 06:41 PM
Virgin Media doesnt support SSL. It the reason why I moved to astraweb.

darkstate01
03-26-2010, 09:05 PM
changing the port and ticking a ssl box won't magically make it secure, The server you are connecting to has to have the ssl/tls protocol enabled,then you need the address and port to match,you will get that from their site. Then you will be secure not only from the prying eyes of virgin but any packet sniffer trying to see what you are upto. If you want more security look into installing opendns so you are not using your isp's dns servers,its free. and also look into vpn searching like ultravpn,hotspot shield etc. Hope this helps in your paranoia :0

simon22
03-27-2010, 04:30 AM
changing the port and ticking a ssl box won't magically make it secure, The server you are connecting to has to have the ssl/tls protocol enabled,then you need the address and port to match,you will get that from their site. Then you will be secure not only from the prying eyes of virgin but any packet sniffer trying to see what you are upto. If you want more security look into installing opendns so you are not using your isp's dns servers,its free. and also look into vpn searching like ultravpn,hotspot shield etc. Hope this helps in your paranoia :0

Thanks very much for these info. I have changed my dns and I installed ultravpn and it stopped the downloading from my isp. whenever i turned it on, my downloads would stop. I think I will reverse everything back to the way it was and forget about this. This is proving to be a headache.