PDA

View Full Version : Installing Program Troubles

10-23-2003, 10:23 PM
I know this has nothing to do with k-lite but please try to help me. I am trying to install a program from a cd(i bought it) but it says Could Not Create Key [\Software\Broderbund Software\ The Print Shop Family] under root HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE in registry. I ask this question on the k-lite forum because I had the same problem when I was installing k-lite but I cant remember what I was told to do to fix it. Please Help.

Thanks

darkewolf
10-24-2003, 05:17 AM
Originally posted by 3223@23 October 2003 - 22:23
I know this has nothing to do with k-lite but please try to help me. I am trying to install a program from a cd(i bought it) but it says Could Not Create Key [\Software\Broderbund Software\ The Print Shop Family] under root HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE in registry. I ask this question on the k-lite forum because I had the same problem when I was installing k-lite but I cant remember what I was told to do to fix it. Please Help.

Thanks
you'll need to give some more info on this one, to get help with it. Like what version of windows you are using, if it has administrator rights, what software isn't being installed, and stuff like that.

boyzeee
10-24-2003, 05:39 AM
are you running xp? if so the disc you are trying to install may not be xp compatible if it printing software, its also quite common with kids learning discs, look on the cover and see what os the disc was written for and if it is say "win95" then put the disc in ya cdrom and when it autostarts cancel it, then right click "my computer" then "explore" and then right click on the cdrom drive which has the cd you trying to install and "explore" the cd. Now there will be a file that says setup.exe, right click on it and click "properties" and then "compatibility" tick the box that says "run this program in compatibility for" and choose "win95" (or whatever operating system the disc was written for) and click apply, now try and install it, xp will "pretend" to be win95 for the installation. after its installed right click on the shortcut and do same again, xp will now "pretend" to be win95 to run the program.

note you must uninstall the program first and then do the above. wont work with all old discs, but ive used this trick a few times and got things to install and run. hope this is of some help to ya :D

10-25-2003, 02:07 AM
Originally posted by boyzeee@24 October 2003 - 05:39
are you running xp? if so the disc you are trying to install may not be xp compatible if it printing software, its also quite common with kids learning discs, look on the cover and see what os the disc was written for and if it is say "win95" then put the disc in ya cdrom and when it autostarts cancel it, then right click "my computer" then "explore" and then right click on the cdrom drive which has the cd you trying to install and "explore" the cd. Now there will be a file that says setup.exe, right click on it and click "properties" and then "compatibility" tick the box that says "run this program in compatibility for" and choose "win95" (or whatever operating system the disc was written for) and click apply, now try and install it, xp will "pretend" to be win95 for the installation. after its installed right click on the shortcut and do same again, xp will now "pretend" to be win95 to run the program.

note you must uninstall the program first and then do the above. wont work with all old discs, but ive used this trick a few times and got things to install and run. hope this is of some help to ya :D
yes im runnin xp. the disc just says windows.

fkdup74
10-25-2003, 02:35 AM
you could still tyr runnin a different compatability mode, try bozeee's tip and let us know if it worked or not
(btw, you're in 'softwareworld', you're safe from persecution... :) )

fkdup74
10-25-2003, 02:50 AM
and i think the topic you're looking for is here (http://www.klboard.ath.cx/index.php?showtopic=60375&st=0&#entry450097)
(if you cant find the topic, just click on your screen name and then select 'view all posts' and browse til you find it, or next time you find something you think you may want to read again later, stick in your favorites folder in your browser, it helps me, kind of a quick link back to useful info)

10-25-2003, 02:58 AM
Originally posted by FKDUP74@25 October 2003 - 02:35
you could still tyr runnin a different compatability mode, try bozeee's tip and let us know if it worked or not
(btw, you're in 'softwareworld', you're safe from persecution... :) )
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh!!! Its not working! Im getting really pissed off! Im about to throw out the software(but i really dont want to because its great software!). It wont even let me unistall the program! What should i do??!!?

10-25-2003, 03:00 AM
Originally posted by darkewolf+24 October 2003 - 05:17--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (darkewolf @ 24 October 2003 - 05:17)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-3223@23 October 2003 - 22:23
I know this has nothing to do with k-lite but please try to help me.&nbsp; I am trying to install a program from a cd(i bought it) but it says Could Not Create Key [&#092;Software&#092;Broderbund Software&#092; The Print Shop Family] under root HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE in registry.&nbsp; I ask this question on the k-lite forum because I had the same problem when I was installing k-lite but I cant remember what I was told to do to fix it.&nbsp; Please Help.

Thanks
you&#39;ll need to give some more info on this one, to get help with it. Like what version of windows you are using, if it has administrator rights, what software isn&#39;t being installed, and stuff like that. [/b][/quote]
i have XP, i have admin. rights, and the software is called The Print Shop Signature Greetings. Does that help??

fkdup74
10-25-2003, 03:07 AM
Originally posted by 3223@24 October 2003 - 18:58
It wont even let me unistall the program&#33; What should i do??&#33;&#33;?
you can probably get most of it out by manually deleting files ( just go through directory where it installed it e.g., &#39;C:&#092;Program Files&#39; or where ever it put it) it&#39;ll leave reg entries behind, but theres freeware utilities to remove those

fkdup74
10-25-2003, 03:12 AM
Originally posted by 3223@24 October 2003 - 19:00

i have XP, i have admin. rights, and the software is called The Print Shop Signature Greetings. Does that help??
where&#39;d ya get the software? couldnt find it in broderbund&#39;s xp software list....

10-25-2003, 05:03 AM
Originally posted by FKDUP74+25 October 2003 - 03:12--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (FKDUP74 &#064; 25 October 2003 - 03:12)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-3223@24 October 2003 - 19:00

where&#39;d ya get the software? couldnt find it in broderbund&#39;s xp software list.... [/b][/quote]
its not for XP. it just says windows on the disc. its a 4-6 year old program. So any info on the web will be hard to find. on the disc it says somc.com.

boyzeee
10-25-2003, 03:38 PM
if its 4-6 years old then run it in compatibility mode for win98 or 95, if you got norton systemworks or norton cleansweep use it to uninstall prog, there are other un-install progs out there, also you could try and just re-installing under compatibility mode without uninstalling it, it may work. HERE (http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloadget.php?id=3839&file=1&evp=5b60e8b3022fbfe9a4a3a7abb63c6a3f) is a freeware uninstaller you could use to uninstall it

10-25-2003, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by boyzeee@25 October 2003 - 15:38
if its 4-6 years old then run it in compatibility mode for win98 or 95, if you got norton systemworks or norton cleansweep use it to uninstall prog, there are other un-install progs out there, also you could try and just re-installing under compatibility mode without uninstalling it, it may work. HERE (http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloadget.php?id=3839&file=1&evp=5b60e8b3022fbfe9a4a3a7abb63c6a3f) is a freeware uninstaller you could use to uninstall it
the program wasnt on the uninstaller list. how do i run it in compatibility mode?

boyzeee
10-25-2003, 09:18 PM
i explained it in my first answer. ;)

10-25-2003, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by boyzeee@25 October 2003 - 21:18
i explained it in my first answer. ;)
it still would not create the registry keys&#33;&#33; :swear: :swear:

boyzeee
10-26-2003, 12:48 AM
then i suggest it wont work with xp, its not uncommon with older software written for previous versions of windows. win98, 98se and me are based on the win95 platform and that is why software written for 95 will work with 98, me etc, xp is based on windows 2000 which is a completely different beast. that is why xp has the compatibility mode to try and overcome some of the issues that you have described, but it wont solve them all. what is this software and what does it do? is there not an equivalent or better piece of software that you could download that would do the same thing? the only other thing i can suggest is maybe the data on the disc is corrupt? download isobuster and it has a feature to check all the files on a cd to see if they readable. sorry couldnt be of more help, maybe someone else has another solution. ;)

10-26-2003, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by boyzeee@26 October 2003 - 00:48
then i suggest it wont work with xp, its not uncommon with older software written for previous versions of windows. win98, 98se and me are based on the win95 platform and that is why software written for 95 will work with 98, me etc, xp is based on windows 2000 which is a completely different beast. that is why xp has the compatibility mode to try and overcome some of the issues that you have described, but it wont solve them all. what is this software and what does it do? is there not an equivalent or better piece of software that you could download that would do the same thing? the only other thing i can suggest is maybe the data on the disc is corrupt? download isobuster and it has a feature to check all the files on a cd to see if they readable. sorry couldnt be of more help, maybe someone else has another solution. ;)
thanks anyways

boyzeee
10-26-2003, 07:52 PM
no worries ;) a thanks always goes down well in here :P