10-23-2003, 10:32 PM
my inglish teacher ask me to pick one of these books

Black and blue, Anna Quindlen

Down these mean streets, Piri Thomas

Samusai's Garden, Gail Tsuyama

Tulip fever, Deborah Moggach

Where the heart is, Bilie Letts

Sea Biscuit, Laura Hillenbrand

which one has an interesting and not boring story?

Smooch
10-23-2003, 10:38 PM
Havn't heard of any of these, sorry :blink:

Cheese
10-23-2003, 11:46 PM
go for Sea Biscuit and then just watch the film to save on having to read the "boring story"

http://www.indielondon.co.uk/film/sea_biscuit_prev.html

MagicNakor
10-24-2003, 12:37 AM
It really depends on what kind of story you're interested in. I'm going to be making the assumption you're a teenage male. ;) Of course, I'm only able to talk about the books I've read, as there are a few there I've not heard of.

Black and Blue is about spousal abuse. Unlikely to be of much interest to you.

Down These Mean Streets is based in Spanish Harlem, centres around growing up in those conditions. A lot of drugs, street fighting, and armed robbery. May be of interest.

Where the Heart Is tracks the journey of an unwed and pregnant teenager. Unlikely to be of much interest.

Seabiscuit is (likely) going to be based on the movie that just recently came out. It's about horse racing. Also may be of interest.

The others I don't know, although it seems that your English teacher chose books that are likely to appeal to a somewhat broader base.

:ninja:

clocker
10-24-2003, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by MagicNakor@23 October 2003 - 17:37

Seabiscuit is (likely) going to be based on the movie that just recently came out. It's about horse racing. Also may be of interest.

Not to be a boor about it, but it's the other way round.

First the book, then the film.

Although horseracing is the primary theme (Seabiscuit was real, after all), the book uses the story of the underdog (weird choice of words, eh?) horse against the reigning champ to highlight the conditions in America at the time.
I enjoyed it ( and the film too), but if you're not an American ( or a student of) then you may not find it to your taste.

MagicNakor
10-24-2003, 01:50 AM
Given the more recent publication dates of a few of those books, I'm assuming that she's chosen the one that came out just before the film did. ;) I hadn't seen a book dedicated entirely to the horse before, although quite often there was a chapter in a few of the racing books or trainer autobiographies I've got.

Funny thing - Red Pollard's from Edmonton.

:ninja: