PDA

View Full Version : Should I move on?

Sanka113
03-25-2010, 10:31 PM
I've been a happy owner of a fastsh.it vps for over a year until two weeks ago. My vps (and the server it was on) went down. I guess it had a slew of problems. So server.lu (the company that fastsh.it resells from) replaced the motherboard and then the HD wouldn't boot into recover console. The server currently is STILL DOWN. I'm not sure if it's from the preexising problems or new ones but it's dead.

My query here is, is this problem something that would take two weeks to resolve from other hosts. If this timeframe is reasonable for that kind of problem at other places, like ovh, hosting-ie, etc., my level of understanding will go up. I'm no expert to webhosting so I have no idea how it should take to fix something of this nature. I've been happy with my service for over a year and don't want to leave, but if outages time frame is unacceptable, I'm going to move on.

PS: Does anyone know of any vps that offer at least

100 gb of diskspace
500mb ish ram
100 mbit connection (shared with six users)

I've found seedboxes that fit my requirements but haven't seen any vps with similar specs for around $20. What are your suggestions?

Vero
03-26-2010, 03:27 PM
What's your budget?

bluntmunchies
03-26-2010, 08:58 PM
I just switched from fastsh.it to seedwave.net and they are much better. I was tired of my server being constantly down, so I decided to look around. The only problem is you have to interview to get into the community and I don't think they have any slots open, although I hear they are getting another 100 Mbps server.

100 Mbps, 180GB HDD
uTorrent+WebUI, Deluge, Transmission, rTorrent.
VNC, Fluxbox, FTP, Firefox, IRC, RAR.
Shell access, SSH Tunelling.
All applications installed upon request.
Price: 18$/14 EUR/770 RS.

FSF did an article on them too.

Valoo
03-27-2010, 06:01 AM
Unfortunately for 20$ you won't easily find VPS allowing seedboxing and with good space (like more than 50GB) and performances (too many users on the master server). The only solution would be to find 2 people to share the more basic kimsufi.

Six66Mike
03-27-2010, 07:38 AM
My query here is, is this problem something that would take two weeks to resolve from other hosts. If this timeframe is reasonable for that kind of problem at other places, like ovh, hosting-ie, etc., my level of understanding will go up. I'm no expert to webhosting so I have no idea how it should take to fix something of this nature. I've been happy with my service for over a year and don't want to leave, but if outages time frame is unacceptable, I'm going to move on.

We've only had one problem with our OVH box and the response times back & forth with that was slightly better, about one week. I know other Server.lu providers right now getting similar support and having lengthy outages.

It's not much help when all your tickets get single line replies like "this is up now" or "rescue console has been started" but that's what we have to deal with.

Their website used to have a blurb about investigating & reporting back to the clients the cause & solution of a problem, but it just isn't the case. Below is every reply we had regarding one of our servers from first (March 16) to latest (March 24) and it's still not resolved:

"the server was powered off, we started it manually and it boots now a rescue." March 16

"could you please paste us some sensor results under high load ?" March 17

"we replaced the ram modules." March 18

"Everything seems to be ok with this server ?" March 23

"This server is back now " March 24

How that is meant to help us troubleshoot I'm not sure, needless to say our replies and questions were longer than that but this is what we deal with.

Nobody is more frustrated about these outages than us. :frusty:

If we had additional servers we could get people running off them but we don't, and today another server has gone down and refuses to stay up for more than 50 seconds, so yet another outage & ticket has been raised. That's 4 servers now offline :(

Sanka113
03-27-2010, 10:57 AM
Hey Mike, You should post something like ^^^ in the fastsh.it forum. Now that I know a bit more about what's going on, I'm more understanding of the circumstances. I think posting something like your above comment will help reassure your other outage stricken customers, like it did for me.