PDA

View Full Version : Seriously?!

SiMpLe DiSaSTeR
10-24-2003, 03:56 AM
Is there ANY cd-r/w's out there bigger than 700mb? I mean like a 4 gig cd-r/w or bigger? I would love to see that out there? I mean recently didn't some company make the first ever cd to hold over 1 terabyte? :angry:

wormless
10-24-2003, 03:59 AM
Originally posted by SiMpLe DiSaSTeR@24 October 2003 - 03:56
Is there ANY cd-r/w's out there bigger than 700mb? I mean like a 4 gig cd-r/w or bigger? I would love to see that out there? I mean recently didn't some company make the first ever cd to hold over 1 terabyte? :angry:
2 tech for me was that like 200cds it holds?

SiMpLe DiSaSTeR
10-24-2003, 04:05 AM
I dunno, but I remember hearing about some company producing a cd that can hold more than 1 terabyte.. there are also harddrivers that can hold a few teras now, they just aren't out for the public!

darkewolf
10-24-2003, 05:05 AM
there are 800 mb cd-r/cd-rw disks available on the market, I use them all the time. If you want gigabyte storage, you are looking at DVD-r/DVD-rw I THINK that they top out at capacities of 14 gig. 7 gigs per side: burn 7 gigs on one side, then flip it over and burn the other side. Personally, I'm waiting for the DVD burners to catch up in the market tho. the fastest one that I've seen so far only has a write speed of 4x.

btw- dont be surprised if this thread gets moved to the hardware section of the board ;)

ScreamSayonara
10-24-2003, 06:37 AM
i believe that plextor just made a new cd-r drive that can write just over a gig. it's called plextor premium or something to that extnent.
i don't know about anything larger than that.

Virtualbody1234
10-24-2003, 06:44 AM
4.7 gig can fit onto a DVD ± RW.

ScreamSayonara
10-24-2003, 07:27 AM
<sarcasm> it&#39;s so great when people confuse dvd&#39;s and cd&#39;s. </sarcasm>

is it even possible for a cd to hold more than a gig, at the absolute most? isn&#39;t that why dvd&#39;s were invented?
3-D storage has so much more volume than 2-D.

3RA1N1AC
10-24-2003, 09:14 AM
sanyo has stretched CD storage to 1.4gb.

http://www.digital-sanyo.com/BURN-Proof/HD-BURN/

only HD-burn audio CDs (also known as HDCD) can be played by standard CD drives though. i believe that most CD drives are mechanically capable of reading them, but the companies have to add support for it through firmware updates.

CDs could conceivably hold a lot more data if CD lasers were designed to read many layers of data stacked on top of each other. this is basically what is going to happen with DVDs (currently they have two layers, but in the future they will have more)... so the same technology could be applied to CDs.

Neo 721
10-30-2003, 12:59 PM
I think you&#39;ll find that CD&#39;s will go no further than a possible 2GB as they are trying to phase them out eventualy.

ATM the largest possible "comercial" storage is DVD RAM that stetches to 9.5 GB