PDA

View Full Version : Splinter Cell Conviction On PC To Require Persistent Online Connection

Cabalo
03-27-2010, 03:58 AM
http://img682.imageshack.us/img682/1535/splintercellk.jpgSplinter Cell Conviction On PC To Require Persistent Online Connection
February 26, 2010

" Due for inclusion in the PC version of Assassin’s Creed 2 and Settlers VII, a large chunk of gamers have been in uproar over Ubisoft’s controversial DRM scheme that requires an active internet connection in the background while playing. For those that thought this was a one-time only test run, think again. A company representative has confirmed with PC Gamer magazine that a number of future titles will employ use of the anti-piracy protection scheme. These include Splinter Cell Conviction, Silent Hunter 5: Battle of the Atlantic, Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands, and the all new Ghost Recon.
When asked if all Ubi titles going forward would take advantage of it, the rep remarked, “It’s hard for us to say, yes, from now until the day that we all die all of our games are going to include this but most will.”
It’s clear the industry needs to find new ways to clamp down on PC piracy but is this approach moving towards the right direction? Should legit consumers have to jump through more hoops than those shamelessly downloading from torrent sites? It’s a fine line to be sure. "

:source: Source: exophase.com (http://exophase.com/pc/splinter-cell-conviction-on-pc-to-require-persistent-online-connection-13980.)

maphongbax
03-27-2010, 05:54 PM
I must say Ubi did a pretty good job on this new DRM. There is still no scene release for Assassin Creed 2.

Cabalo
03-27-2010, 06:12 PM
The day there is, it will be the same day they will release splinter cell too.
Still 3 weeks to go. (I don't give a damn about AC2, I want splinter cell ;) )

DATTER
03-27-2010, 07:37 PM
Cabalo i think if you wanna play Splinter Cell like me, we have to pay for that LOL :P

Ijustwantanzb
03-27-2010, 10:43 PM
surely they can work around this? just make a "fake" connection to the net, just record what data is actually sent while playing the game and just make the game think this data etc is being sent/recieved O_o then again nothing is that easy :P

sure someone will find a way around it but i plan on buying SC for xbox anyway =] or atleast wait for my friend to get it and borrow it off him like i do with most games ^^ saves me £ so its like i get the game free :D just gotta wait till he completes it which is usually a week or 2! FULL ON NERD!

Cabalo
03-27-2010, 10:45 PM
Cabalo i think if you wanna play Splinter Cell like me, we have to pay for that LOL :P
That wasn't on my plans. I've bought Chaos Theory some months after it was released off ebay for 12€, so I'm not too sad if I have to repeat the same move.

I feel much more sad because SLB won last match :(

tesco
03-28-2010, 01:47 AM
That wasn't on my plans. I've bought Chaos Theory some months after it was released off ebay for 12€, so I'm not too sad if I have to repeat the same move.

Starforce? :sick:

banon37
03-28-2010, 03:52 AM
So what happens when you have comcast, and the internet goes out 2-3 times a month?

Cabalo
03-28-2010, 05:49 AM

Unfortunately :(
Remember Toca Race Driver 2 and Splinter Cell Chaos Theory took several months to be cracked.
I'm too fanatic for splinter cell, and I couldn't wait.

Meanwhile I borrowed someone the game and haven't seen it since :dry:

darkmawl
03-28-2010, 09:49 AM
surely they can work around this? just make a "fake" connection to the net, just record what data is actually sent while playing the game and just make the game think this data etc is being sent/recieved O_o then again nothing is that easy :P

sure someone will find a way around it but i plan on buying SC for xbox anyway =] or atleast wait for my friend to get it and borrow it off him like i do with most games ^^ saves me £ so its like i get the game free :D just gotta wait till he completes it which is usually a week or 2! FULL ON NERD!

At the website of settlers 7 they said they patch the game so the core features work if they ever discontinue the service. So it is just a matter of time someone cracks this security measure and reproduces such a crack.

The only question is, what will Ubisoft think of after that?

DamnYou
03-28-2010, 10:05 AM
thats really bad news for us gamers,ubisoft was allways pain in the ass since Chaos theory.

tesco
03-28-2010, 01:32 PM
Remember Toca Race Driver 2 and Splinter Cell Chaos Theory took several months to be cracked.

I remember the crack for chaos theory. I could never even get it to work.:dry:
Never ended up playing that game.

DATTER
03-28-2010, 03:17 PM

Ahahah. They bought this year arbitrators like FCP buy last year :whistling
What is your favorite Club? Sporting? :naughty:

Cabalo
03-28-2010, 04:11 PM

Ahahah. They bought this year arbitrators like FCP buy last year :whistling
What is your favorite Club? Sporting? :naughty:
:yup:
I just want to forget about this season. It never happened. :(

At the website of settlers 7 they said they patch the game so the core features work if they ever discontinue the service. So it is just a matter of time someone cracks this security measure and reproduces such a crack.

The only question is, what will Ubisoft think of after that?
If this is true, and should be, then it means no parts of the game have to be downloaded from ubi's servers, and it's a complete game on the DVD.
If this happens, then there's light at the end of the tunnel.

I remember the crack for chaos theory. I could never even get it to work.:dry:
Never ended up playing that game.
But you should, it's the best of the splinter cell saga so far.
I'm posting the .nzb just for you :)
It's the reloaded release, just overwrite with cracked files.

maphongbax
03-28-2010, 09:19 PM
[QUOTE=DATTER;3421285]
If this is true, and should be, then it means no parts of the game have to be downloaded from ubi's servers, and it's a complete game on the DVD.
If this happens, then there's light at the end of the tunnel.

Hey that's a brilliant idea. So if Ubi only distributes part of the game on DVD, and consumers have to download the rest from Ubi's servers, they will have total control on who is playing the game. Is that the end of the scene ?

Rart
03-29-2010, 01:13 AM
I'm liking this: http://www.videogamer.com/news/ea_slams_its_c_and_c4_drm.html

Hopefully public outcries from an EA editor will bring more attention to this atrocious kind of DRM mechanism.

gath
03-29-2010, 01:22 AM
Thank you for letting me know these:)

Bushmills
03-29-2010, 12:19 PM
This is a very bad news for us pirates..
but then again i must say in their favorite that Splinter Cell is one of those games i wouldnt care to pay for ;)

And if all games will work only that way that means all efforts to come around it will be devoted to it as well and the scene will hopefully find a solution.

Tv Controls you
03-29-2010, 01:46 PM
Looks like its time to get out my low orbit ion cannon... Time to shut down the drm server lol.

arpit60
04-04-2010, 12:49 PM
shit online connection to play game ?
they are definately loosing customers !