PDA

View Full Version : Disk overload on vps

Ruriko
03-28-2010, 09:18 AM
I have a windows 2003 vps and running utorrent. I'm downloading 1 torrent that is 12gb big and I get disk overload! my speed dropped down from 8mb to 900kb. I have tried increasing the disk cache to 256 but it still gets disk overload. I have 512ram only

DamnYou
03-28-2010, 09:48 AM
get linux and rtorrent....
or limit your dl speeds

sake
03-28-2010, 11:12 AM
Just wait for a while and everything will be OK. This is normal. Several minutes i think maximum. I have the same "problem".

Ruriko
03-28-2010, 11:15 AM
Just wait for a while and everything will be OK. This is normal. Several minutes i think maximum. I have the same "problem".

It's still the same for an hour... it's not normal

sake
03-28-2010, 12:14 PM
Yes, it`s not normal to occur for such a long time. Strange ...

hotstuff
03-28-2010, 12:34 PM
limit your upload or dl speed and all will be well

greken24
03-28-2010, 01:48 PM
its because your ram its only 512 you should limit your download speed and believe me its normal, that happnes a lot on r torrent too, dont change your client beacause of that..

Ruriko
03-29-2010, 03:33 AM
I limited my dl speed to 3mb and ul speed to 10kb but I still get disk overload and I never reach 3mb =[

Cabalo
03-29-2010, 03:35 AM
What are your cache settings for utorrent and for the OS?
It's probably there the issue. And the lack of ram.

Ruriko
03-29-2010, 03:51 AM
My os is Windows Server 2003. Where do I go to find OS cache settings?
http://i41.tinypic.com/34xjcx2.gif

Valoo
03-30-2010, 02:28 PM
Maybe your VPS is simply not appropriated for seedboxing ? What kind of VPS offer you have ? Linux / rtorrent is also better for low resources boxes.

Ruriko
03-31-2010, 09:36 AM
Maybe your VPS is simply not appropriated for seedboxing ? What kind of VPS offer you have ? Linux / rtorrent is also better for low resources boxes.

Disk Space: 62 GB HDD
Traffic: Unmetered
Guaranteed RAM: 512MB
Choice Of OS between 2003/2008
100mbits Connection
IP Addresses: 1 IP

that's what my vps plan is

UncleBob
03-31-2010, 12:37 PM
'Disk overloaded' usually happens on big files. The file is being downloaded by pieces via Bittorrent, and if you receive a piece that located close to the end of file, OS needs some time to preallocate the entire file to save the piece on its place. While the file is preallocated, your utorrent cache gets filled. When it's filled about to 100%, you've got a disk overloaded message. When the file gets preallocated, cache then gets emptied quickly and torrent is downloaded at full speed thereafter.

Increasing the cache makes no big sence for such big files, and if there's no available physical memory to allocate the cache, utorrent will crash or hang. So be careful while increasing cache size too much. For Win2003 with 512MB RAM I would suggest to limit it to 64-128MB. You won't get much benefits here from the cache anyway.

To speed up the preallocation process, make sure you don't have other torrents hashing/running and as well any other software, that might consume your hdd resources (file archivers, file copying processes, etc). So pause/stop other torrents and just leave utorrent running alone. You can run task manager and configure it to show hdd activity, where you can check if utorrent is doing its job.

You mentioned you have a VPS, from what I guess, you've got a HDD shared with other VPS boxes. So if HDD is in use by others, it's normal if preallocation takes time. Even 1 hour for 12Gb file is possible for shared and havily used HDD (that's about 3MB/s, and it can be even slower from my shared hdd experience). I would suggest to make some disk benchmarks to obtain some realistic speeds your HDD might reach.

While preallocating you can check "Files" tab for your torrent and you'll see what pieces have already written to file (blue color) and what are waiting for preallocation to complete (lime color). When the rightmost lime piece changes its color to blue, preallocation is complete.

hotshot6473
03-31-2010, 04:59 PM
Simple answer is you need to limit your download speed to about 5-6 MB/s

Also never allow a VPS to hash check a file cause that will rape the HDD and cause massive slowdowns. Even normal kimsufi's crumble while hash checking. Your best bet is to use the skip hash check button when adding a file to cross-seed