PDA

View Full Version : continue a download with a different tracker?

worldpease
03-29-2010, 07:24 AM
Ok lets say I started downloading a movie with this one tracker, but then someone else uploaded it to a new tracker and at freeleech.
Since I've downloaded quite bit of this file by now, is it possible in uTorrent to continue downloading the rest of the file from the new tracker? if so, is it fair?

X-Files
03-29-2010, 07:35 AM
Yes uTorrent can continue as long the file is exactly the same (size, rar/unrar), and its fair. its all about sharing :)

Zac090
03-29-2010, 08:16 AM
As long as you don't add 2 trackers to the same torrent,its fine :)

worldpease
03-29-2010, 08:36 AM
Yes uTorrent can continue as long the file is exactly the same (size, rar/unrar), and its fair. its all about sharing
Yes it worked! actually the thing that worried me is that in trying I might end up overwriting what I already had downloaded, so I just copied the partially downloaded file to a different drive and it worked, uTorrent just re-checked for a while and then continued precisely where it should.

As long as you don't add 2 trackers to the same torrent,its fine
lol I know, somehow I had that same thought since the beginning, because I do remember doing that before, but with public trackers.

Ok then guys, thanks for the help
I go to sleep now, not so my Pc :lol: .

-

anon
03-29-2010, 01:04 PM
Stop the torrent, remove it from the list (don't delete the files, of course), readd the one from the new tracker as stopped, do a hash check and wait for it to finish. You can resume your download now. Note this will only work if the files are the exact same ones for both.

rockalpha
03-29-2010, 04:10 PM
as long as they're same file,it should be ok,might need rehash though

7th
03-29-2010, 04:15 PM
and after the download has finished, I would consider seeding it back a little in the first tracker too and not only you got it as freeleech.

DamnYou
03-29-2010, 04:48 PM
after its done make sure you seed on both for sharing spirit :P

anon
03-29-2010, 04:52 PM
Specially if you have chosen not to skip any file, as the second tracker will get &event=completed. ;)

ExtraDry
03-30-2010, 12:44 AM
As long as you don't add 2 trackers to the same torrent,its fine :)

Have done this before for seeding purposes and it does keep the seeds separate for each site.

anon
03-30-2010, 12:39 PM
Which client did you use? As far as I know, the amount of traffic since &event=started is sent for all clients (which as we know has got a lot of people banned).

Clients could keep track of which tracker returned which peer and keep separate stats for each server, but it'd be a lot of hassle.