PDA

View Full Version : Burning Movies To Cd

Andy D
10-24-2003, 07:15 PM
HI,
I wondered if someone could advise on burning Movies to CDs? I tried to burn a movie to CD but after a long time (hours!!), in which I presume the format was changed to that for the software or whatever, I was informed that the media did not have enough space.
I have burned to CD in the past, but think the movies may have been in 2 halves onthose occasions as they are on 2 separate CDs. During the burn I was requested to change the CD when it became full.
I have Nero (burning software not movie.... lol).

Cheers

Andy

muchspl2
10-24-2003, 07:26 PM
well just use nero to burn, not to encode
for that you need tmpgenc, and its pretty simple, but if your lost they have plenty of guides at http://www.dvdrhelp.com
once you convert it with tmpgenc, it has a splitter built in
then you can burn you movie with nero, it will read the file and since its the correct format, will bypass the nero encoder

Spindulik
10-24-2003, 08:56 PM
I assume you want to make a VCD?

My DVD player will play VCDs, but does not recognize burned disks, however, I did find a brand called PRINCO that works fine for me.

You need to use TMPGEnc to convert your DIVX, XVID, etc.. to the correct format for a VCD.

BUT before you begin, you should use a program like Cool Edit Pro to extract the audio, from the movie, into a WAV file.

Then use TMPGEnc to creat the first half (or split) of the movie. Use the WAV file as the audio source, and use the movie file (DIVX, XVID, etc) as the video source. You have to do this to avoid problems of audio and video beinhg out of sync.

CAUTION, some of the newer DIVX and XVID movies are encoded with AC3 audio, which is the new surround Sound and needs special attention when converting the sound to a WAV. Look up "AC3 DIVX" in yahoo for help.

TMPGEnc will let you select any portion of the movie to be encoded to VCD, so select the beginning to somewhere in the middle (this will be disk 1). Then encode the VCD. Do it again from the middle to the end for disk 2.

Warning: A large number of DIVX and XVID movies appear to work fine, however they are not perfect!!! TMPGEnc will work, as long as the movie is ripped properly. I have converted many bad movies and finally found a way around it.

Here's how: Whenever I find a bad spot, I take note of it. For example, if a bad spot is about 1/4 from the begining of the movie, I will make a VCD file to that point, then I will make the next file a few frames past that, to the middle. BOTH FILES will be burned on VCD disk 1 in that order. When played in a player, it will play correctly. Get the idea?

Good luck.

Gre1
10-24-2003, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by muchspl2@24 October 2003 - 14:26
well just use nero to burn, not to encode
for that you need tmpgenc, and its pretty simple, but if your lost they have plenty of guides at http://www.dvdrhelp.com
once you convert it with tmpgenc, it has a splitter built in
then you can burn you movie with nero, it will read the file and since its the correct format, will bypass the nero encoder
Just do this method here and u will have no problems encode, split, and burn.

Andy D
10-26-2003, 02:59 PM
How long should I expect the conversion to take? At present the TMPGEnc is saying 56hrs.

Andy

Gre1
10-26-2003, 03:09 PM
Make sure u close alot of programs mostly the ones using up memory (u can see that if u have Windows XP) and don't run anything while u are encoding no progs at all just leave comp alone so I think u should stop it shut down what u can and start over.

Andy D
10-27-2003, 06:25 PM
I left the movie to encode, and it was very much smaller than the original converting from .avi to .mpg using tmpgenc. When the movie looked complete, the credits had listed, I switched off the conversion as there was only video noise to be seen.
If I try to open the mpg file ALL I get is the video, there was no audio..... Anyone know what I have messed up?

Andy

muchspl2
10-27-2003, 08:57 PM
your vafpi settings or not configerdhttp://members.cox.net/my_web_pictures/tmpegnc_setting_for_x-vid.gif
try those settings, Id say 85% of the time thats fine, otherwise you need to extrack the audio with virtual dub
(change to match settings you have, ignore any you don't have)

Andy D
10-27-2003, 09:17 PM
Does this require me to extract the movie again..?
Where are the above settings found?
Cheers
Andy

muchspl2
10-27-2003, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by Andy D@27 October 2003 - 22:17
Does this require me to extract the movie again..?
Where are the above settings found?
Cheers
Andy
what do you mean extract, you need to run the working avi throught tmpgenc with those settings

and its the settings for tmpgenc?

Andy D
10-27-2003, 09:49 PM
Please excuse the ignorance... I'll give it a try...
I thought I perhaps had to re-convert in from avi to mpg TMPGEnc.

Andy

Andy D
10-28-2003, 03:09 PM
I downloaded TMPGEnc 2.5, I think it is a trial version at least the MPEG-2 function is trial for another 28days. I have a graphic of the settings butnot on the web... how can I post it...?

Andy

Andy D
10-28-2003, 04:52 PM
I don't have all the options listed above in my Settings.

Andy

Andy D
10-28-2003, 04:58 PM
I may have to just watch the movie(s) on my PC.... a bit boring but less hassle....
Perhaps it's best if I buy the DVD or go to the movies......

Andy D
10-28-2003, 05:05 PM
I have windows movie maker, and have extracted/imported a movie and reconstructing it frame by frame or something, into 2 halves both .avi.... really doing thios blind, dont have a clue what the heck I am doing.....

Andy D
10-28-2003, 05:20 PM
Windows Movie MAker only let me make the movie as a wmv file so dumped that idea....

Gre1
10-28-2003, 06:03 PM
Why don't u just go through it then make a post of everything that happened instead of posting over and over.

Andy D
10-28-2003, 06:12 PM
Sorry about that. Is there any way to delete my posts...?

Basically I converted using TMPGEnc, and lost the sound. Still to re-try, but wondered if there was a simpler method of doing it without having to extract the sounds files separately from the .avi.
If there isn't what software is recommended. The TMPGEnc I have is v2.5.
I am a noobie so any advice would have to be simple.... just like me....

Andy

Gre1
10-28-2003, 06:55 PM
There's no point of deleting them now, but now u know for future refrence. ;)