PDA

View Full Version : PS3 Loses Linux Support And PS3 comes with scary update, no April Fools Joke

SonsOfLiberty
03-31-2010, 06:41 PM
http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/9/2010/03/thumb160x_linuxps3.jpgPS3 Loses Linux Support And PS3 comes with scary update, no April Fools Joke

Ever since it launched in 2006, one of the neater features of the PlayStation 3 has been its ability to run operating systems other than its own. Like Linux. Next month, however, the console will ditch that compatibility.

On April 1, Sony will release the next firmware update for the PS3, bringing it to v3.21. It seems the sole purpose of this update is to remove the "install other OS" feature from pre-Slim models of the console. SCEA's Senior Director Corporate Communications & Social Media, Patrick Seybold, says the move is "due to security concerns".

He also says that disabling the feature "will help ensure that PS3 owners will continue to have access to the broad range of gaming and entertainment content from SCE and its content partners on a more secure system."

Of course, Sony is quick to point out the install is "optional", but then, if you refuse to upgrade, you'll no longer be able to sign into the PlayStation Network or play any PS3 games (or Blu-Rays) that require v3.21 (or higher). So no, for many people, it's not really optional.

This of course doesn't affect owners of a "Slim" PS3, as the feature was never present in that model in the first place.

People who already have Linux installed and choose to receive the v3.21 update should move any relevant stuff somewhere else, as they "will not be able to access that data following the update".

The "security" reason is an interesting one, given that, around the time of the initial announcement of the PS3 Slim losing Linux support, Sony promised that "this feature will not be disabled in future firmware releases".

Sony I guess debunked this and said there not, but as of today, news sites all over the interwebs are reporting Sony indeed is full of shit

PS3 Firmware 3.21 will be available this Thursday. It will disable the “Install Other OS” feature that was available on the PS3 systems prior to the current slimmer models, launched in September 2009. This feature enabled users to install an operating system, but due to security concerns, we’re now removing this feature.

For most of you, this won’t have any impact on how you use your PS3. If you are one of the few who use the “Other OS” feature, or if you belong to an organisation that does, then you can choose not to upgrade your system. However, doing so will mean that the following features will not be available:

* Ability to sign in to PlayStation Network and use network features that require signing in to PlayStation Network, such as online features of PS3 games and chat.
* Playback of PS3 software titles or Blu-ray Disc videos that require PS3 system software version 3.21 or later.
* Playback of copyright-protected videos that are stored on a media server (when DTCP-IP is enabled under Settings).
* Use of new features and improvements that are available on PS3 system software 3.21 or later.

If you currently use the “Other OS” feature and you wish to update to system software 3.21, make sure you back-up any data stored within the hard drive partition used by the “Other OS,” as they will not be able to access that data following the update.

In other words, Linux has now been classed as a security risk and has to go.

Anyone using their PS3 for Linux needs to act now to save their data. If the 3.21 patch is applied to your machine on April 1st then you will no longer be able to access your Linux install or your data. If you choose not to update your firmware then you lose the ability to play the latest games and access the PlayStation Network.

Some reads from the PS3 hacker, would undoubtable caused this

Wait, you are removing a feature?
First off, I want to apologize to all the people who use Linux on their PS3. Before releasing, I weighed the pros and cons, and considered the possibility of an impact on OtherOS support. My logic was this. OtherOS support had already been removed from the Slim(not for technical reasons; I believe it only existed in the first place to promote the Cell for IBM) The builders had apparently no intention of including it in future products. So for the purposes of openness why not release? Not like anything else has(or probably will be) done on the PS3.

Now you go and remove a feature that people expected to be included with the expensive device they purchased, citing "security concerns". What security concerns? It's not like the exploit can be run even close to without the users knowledge. You have to open the fucking thing up. How could this harm users? Your blog post doesn't list positive reasons for upgrading like I think most users expect. Instead it lists things you will lose if you don't upgrade. Seriously?

The PlayStation 3 is the only product I know that loses features throughout it's life cycle. Software PS2 emulation, SACD playback, and OtherOS support are all just software switches you can flip. It's unbelievable you would go and flip one, not just on new boxes you are shipping, but on tens of millions already in the field.

Again I'm sorry users. Sony, I expected more from you.

Don't Update
A note to people interested in the exploit and retaining OtherOS support, DO NOT UPDATE. When 3.21 comes out, I will look into a safe way of updating to retain OtherOS support, perhaps something like Hellcat's Recovery Flasher. I never intended to touch CFW, but if that's how you want to play...

Two things, some people seem to think CFW will enable some sort of piracy. It won't. It'll just be a custom version of 3.21 that doesn't lose OtherOS support. Hacking isn't about getting what you didn't pay for, it's about making sure you do get what you did.

And this is about more than this feature right now. It's about whether these companies have the right to take away advertised features from a product you purchased. Imagine if an exploit were found in Safari on the iPhone, but instead of fixing it, Apple decides to pull web browsing altogether. Legally, they may be within their right to do so, but we have to show them it's the wrong move for the future of the product and the company.

:source: Source: Kotaku (http://kotaku.com/5504123/ps3-loses-linux-support) | geohot PS3 Haxor (http://geohotps3.blogspot.com/2010_03_01_archive.html)

Cabalo
03-31-2010, 06:50 PM
Again I'm sorry users. Sony, I expected more from you.
I didn't.
Sony is known for this kind of narrow minded decisions, that's why I absolutely refuse to buy anything that has the sony logo. Not even mobile phones.

I can only see them losing the next generation console war next year, with the alienation they are causing on their user base.

SonsOfLiberty
03-31-2010, 06:58 PM
Yeah I bought a movie silly me thinking I could transfer to any device like you can with the 360, oh no, only playable on PS3 and is exclusive, bullshit. I have the slim anyway, and didn't know about the OtherOS support till after the fact. But the fact of not being able to "own" the content your purchase off PSN is just ludacris bullshit, with piracy or not, I paid for it, and I should be able to watch it wherever the hell I want, sucks lugging a PS3 all over the house. I will never buy anything from PSN again, I won't even rent it now.

DATTER
03-31-2010, 08:20 PM
I do not see the day when someone hack the PS3!

gath
04-01-2010, 05:52 AM
:(:cry:

megabyteme
04-01-2010, 06:28 AM
I can only see them losing the next generation console war next year, with the alienation they are causing on their user base.

Funny thing, I went with the PS3 because of its (seeming willingness) to allow owners to utilize their machines. I had chosen (and found when it was still hard to do) a 360 and got put off by M$'s unreliability and unwillingness to support other OS's.

If M$ puts out a reliable machine, I'm leaving Sony for good. They don't deserve my business. Since buying a real media player (Asus :w00t: ), I rarely turn the PS3 on anymore.

I hope for a class-action suit on this. I paid an extra $100 so my machine would play PS2 and have Linux support. Oh, BTW, the machine's processor is so locked down that Linux really isn't very functional anyway...:dry:

They aren't trustworthy. Fuk 'em!

iLOVENZB
04-02-2010, 12:38 AM
Thank you GeoHot.

OtherOS was used for the PS3's exploit. Sony have just ruined another console. PS2 was pretty much their only successful console. Possible because there were no constant 'patches' for the exploits released.

Once again, customers are being fucked in the ass.

thisguy
04-02-2010, 02:16 AM
i always thought of sony as awesome but this gives them a bump down for taking away something that is so great, i wonder if this has anything to do with the recent hack in attempts to mod the system

iLOVENZB
04-02-2010, 05:34 AM
i always thought of sony as awesome but this gives them a bump down for taking away something that is so great, i wonder if this has anything to do with the recent hack in attempts to mod the system

Have you been sleeping since 2005 to not notice the TIFF exploit on PSP with OFW of 1.5?

I would assume it has something to do with GeoHot's exploit and Sony's lack of knoweldge to know that exploits help sales. Look at the PS2 compared to any other modern-gen console.

Sanka113
04-02-2010, 05:51 AM
I just got a PS3 yesterday and I like it. I bought it to play blu-rays and the occasional Ps3 exclusive game. If I want linux I can use a pc for that. TBH i'm surprised they supported it in the first place.

S!X
04-02-2010, 07:10 AM

LOL...not that this patch means anything to the average PS3 owner :dabs:

iLOVENZB
04-02-2010, 11:42 AM

LOL...not that this patch means anything to the average PS3 owner :dabs:

True, I don't believe many people (seriously) would use OtherOS, but my point was Sony's constant battle of patching exploits.

Just because homebrew is possible, doesn't mean it'll only be used for backups. The iPhone is a perfect example.

tesco
04-02-2010, 02:31 PM
I would assume it has something to do with GeoHot's exploit and Sony's lack of knoweldge to know that exploits help sales. Look at the PS2 compared to any other modern-gen console.
Selling PS3s is not useful to them.
They need to sell games, that's where they make their money with consoles...

mbucari1
04-02-2010, 02:39 PM

That's total bs, Linux isn't the security risk the "other OS" feature is the security risk. The PS3 was hacked to run coppied games by exploiting this feature. Apparently they decided to remove the vulnerability before a ubiquitous hack could be released.

$SnoopDo2G$
04-02-2010, 02:42 PM
You can bypass easily that firmware update and still go on PSN and play games etc...
the trick is with the DNS... ;) if u put the right IP you know your shit :)

SonsOfLiberty
04-05-2010, 01:19 AM

That's total bs, Linux isn't the security risk the "other OS" feature is the security risk. The PS3 was hacked to run coppied games by exploiting this feature. Apparently they decided to remove the vulnerability before a ubiquitous hack could be released.

That wasn't my quote that was the "sources" quote...and that's what Sony says, and no geo hasn't ran any back up games yet. And geo already released read sources.

captive
04-14-2010, 04:28 PM
the linux install wasnt even a proper os install, and it was buggy as hell, didnt even utilise the ps3 full potential, or even close to it.

seems like a lot of fuss over not alot to me, i play all my xvids, hi-def, music and bluray thru it and it does an amazin job of it. too much bitchin bout sony and what they do if you ask me.

if you dont like it dont bloody buy one or use one.

iLOVENZB
04-15-2010, 04:49 AM

I haven't bought anything from Sony after what they did to the PSP, Sadly I was given a PS3 and I'm afraid it'll turn out like the PSP. Sony really know how to ruin their console market.

Even though Microsoft have their rough patches with console and even rougher patches with their OS', I'm seriously considering getting a 360.

captive
04-15-2010, 03:37 PM

that comment wasnt pointed at anyone, just a general comment.

orb
04-21-2010, 06:29 PM
Hmm... Personally, I prefer Linux on my computers. I also have it installed on my PS3. I was disappointed when I found out about the "required" update, but I did not know about Geo Hot's exploit until reading this thread. Thank you. I guess I can see Sony's position here, but why can't they maintain the ability to allow Linux, while patching his memory workaround? Win-win. Makes sense, right? After all, It's only one kid versus an entire team of engineers with billions of dollars at their beck and call. In a way, it's funny. Embarrassing for them, I'm sure.

Iundk
04-26-2010, 12:50 AM
I'm so tired of updates after updates for the PS3....I seriously think SONY has lost their minds.....