PDA

View Full Version : OK so I'm a goddamn sellout

Detale
04-06-2010, 07:09 AM
I'm sooo not proud of what I came here to say. After many years of my shit talking and bitching about Apple products and vowing never to have an apple product in my home. I went and got the ipad 32 gig. I'm such a whore it isn't even funny. Admittedly I did want to check it out but on Easter Sunday my wife said she had wanted one as a joke I think. It had clicked in my head that a shady friend of mine, well most of my friends are shady, had mentioned he knew a guy, who knew a guy that "found" a few that fell off a truck ;) So I got one for $250 talked down from $350 which is still cheap as he was selling them to most for $500 for the 32 gig. Shrewd as an Arab trader I am :P Turns out this far I kind of like it. I just opened it and had to install itunes for the first time in my life. I'm combing the interwebs for the jailbreak when it comes out so if anyone knows about this please let me know. Thanks. I still can't believe what a sellout I am and I'm sorry if I let you guys down. I'll take some pics in the morn.

Cabalo
04-06-2010, 08:50 AM
As long as you don't become a Steve Jobs worshipper, we're ok ;)

By the way, is it correct it can only run one application at a time? How's battery life?

megabyteme
04-06-2010, 10:00 AM
It's kinda like finding out a friend is gay, or vegetarian. You eventually accept them, but always wonder why...

Actually, another friend was showing me his iPod. Kinda cool, really. Hope you enjoy your new toy!

pentomato
04-06-2010, 12:05 PM
It's kinda like finding out a friend is gay, or vegetarian. You eventually accept them, but always wonder why...

Actually, another friend was showing me his iPod. Kinda cool, really. Hope you enjoy your new toy!

So people accepted you after you came out of the closet? You are going to be so happy with your Chalice love... congratulations

megabyteme
04-06-2010, 12:26 PM

So people accepted you after you came out of the closet? You are going to be so happy with your Chalice love... congratulations

Learn to read. :dry:

Detale
04-06-2010, 05:01 PM
Yeah only one app at a time. No Flash player either, no browser choice (only safari) but the thing is incredible responsive and a pretty good toy. Kind of like a cross between an iphone and a netbook. Internet loads faster than my wife's netbook though. Here are a few pics of it.

http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/6043/dsc046113061614.jpg
http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/3581/dsc046093049048.jpg
http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/7960/dsc046103054249.jpg

Skiz
04-06-2010, 05:12 PM
You'll have to let me know if you can snag another one for $250. Seriously. :mellow:

As for jailbreaking - stay tuned (http://modmyi.com/forums/ipad-news/705634-ipad-jailbroken.html).

Detale
04-06-2010, 06:22 PM
Thanks bud, I read that article also. It's not ready for the "consumer" grade yet I figure a few weeks or so should be ready. I already called him for someone else to see if he has anymore. If so I'll let you know bud. Shirley these are going fast tho :O

Twig
04-06-2010, 09:37 PM
I think that Lightnin McQueen will last longer :D Im holdin out for price drop :)

Detale
04-07-2010, 01:35 AM
Well 'ol Lightnin' has been around for 5 years now since my first son started liking him. We're on kid number 3 and they all LOVE Disney Cars so I figure he'll be around in one way or another for a few more years at least. As far as computers go if you check my history here in those 5 years i have gone through prob 6-8 new computers so I imagine I'll be on to something else soon.

Cabalo
04-07-2010, 02:38 AM
But, the real question: why would anyone need an iPad?

Detale
04-07-2010, 04:12 AM
Why does anyone need anything??

Twig
04-07-2010, 02:34 PM
exactly, no one really needs electronics. there are many who survive without them or a large part of them. I love gadgets so I would love to have one of these bad boyz. Too bad I have to choose ole Lightnin over the ipad cause my kids come first. :happy:

clocker
04-08-2010, 01:27 AM
Why does anyone need anything??
Make this argument using "oxygen" in place of "anything".

Begin anytime.

Detale
04-08-2010, 03:05 AM
I was wondering when you were going to show up. Honestly i thought I would get a severe lashing from you C. You must be tired..well that or stoned :P

clocker
04-08-2010, 12:02 PM
Or apathetic.

Detale
04-08-2010, 01:02 PM
Hmmm, perhaps. My money is still on stoned.

Polarbear
04-09-2010, 03:11 AM
Turns out this far I kind of like it.

No, it sucks because it's an Apple product. Everything that Apple makes is overpriced garbage. You're not allowed to like it.

But don't worry. Even the most conservative analysts estimate 5 million sold iPads this year. You won't be alone with your gay Apple POS device.

God, I really hate Apple.

They should use a mac this pic says so queer bear

http://addictedgeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/gay-test.jpeg

Fucking HOMO MAC users there's a reason that apple is rainbow. All signs point to GAY

PB's facebook photo
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj190/jake_mikel/032908_gay_mac.jpg

Hate to be the one to break it to you homeboy but it's prob because mac's in general just fucking suck Old Geezers droopy balls daily. Shop in the mens department and get yourself a PC asap

LOL I'm not angry, I just really hate the whole idea of apple and their proprietary systems, It's more than just the OS( which isn't terrible ) it's price point as well as limitations in part manufacturers and even software. Honestly now you can get the same quality if not better computer for half the price of a Mac

Welcome! :lol:

Alien5
04-09-2010, 03:18 AM
Nice jeans, are you wearing any underwear? :shifty:

http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/7960/dsc046103054249.jpg

clocker
04-09-2010, 03:19 AM
There's an app for that.

Detale
04-09-2010, 04:36 AM
@pb, OK dude you got me. Enjoy your gloating while you can. I just saw the HP Slate though and it seems to have all the features the ipad is missing.
AeDalRBjyJo

There's an app for that.
Funniest post in here C :lol: And No I NEVER wear underwear, would you cover up the statue of liberty with a stocking?

Polarbear
04-09-2010, 04:56 AM
@pb, OK dude you got me. Enjoy your gloating while you can. I just saw the HP Slate though and it seems to have all the features the ipad is missing.
AeDalRBjyJo

One funny thing about this promo video:
I noticed that the cable they plug in (0:13) to show that the device has an USB slot is clearly an Apple USB cable that comes with the iPhone, iPod and the iPad. :happy:

Detale
04-09-2010, 05:43 AM
Well no I have a USB cable that came with my iriver u10 media player years ago. Damn I loved that thing. Here is a pic you can kind of see it. Damn Mac fag you are. There are other white USB cables out there you racist!!
http://www.radioandtelly.co.uk/images/iriveru10_04.jpg

Polarbear
04-09-2010, 05:45 AM
Damn Mac fag you are.

You'll buy one sooner or later.

S!X
04-09-2010, 06:17 AM
I'll take my iPhone over one of these horrid looking things any day.

Polarbear
04-09-2010, 06:23 AM
There are other white USB cables out there you racist!!
Yes, but the one used in the HP video is an Apple cable. If they turned it around you'd have seen the Apple logo.

Detale
04-09-2010, 07:38 AM
OK, I'll bite. How do you know it's an apple cable? I still think it could be just a white USB cord as well.

Speedo
04-09-2010, 09:53 AM
I can take it if a friend of mine comes out of the closet. No problem. But apple?

clocker
04-09-2010, 11:43 AM
No I NEVER wear underwear, would you cover up the statue of liberty with a stocking?
If I was smuggling it around in my pants, yes.

Detale
04-09-2010, 03:51 PM
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Skiz
04-09-2010, 05:16 PM
There are other white USB cables out there you racist!!
Yes, but the one used in the HP video is an Apple cable. If they turned it around you'd have seen the Apple logo.

Well, to be fair, that is the logo for USB. It's on everything USB, Apple or not.

However, it sure does looks just like the Apple one. :whistling

Detale
04-10-2010, 04:03 AM
But like I said there are other white USB devices out there, not many, but they are there.

beansis
04-12-2010, 12:05 AM
is it easy on the eyes, like for ebook reading and such?

Mikity
04-13-2010, 07:09 AM
Welcome to the world of the Enlightened ;)

Detale
04-13-2010, 12:59 PM
Enlightened, Um no. Overpriced toys club maybe.

A
04-13-2010, 02:43 PM
I like my ipod nano.rest all are crap :P

lued_00
04-18-2010, 07:42 PM
i'm afraid i'll have to do this soon too ("sellout"), won't feel comfortable seeing an 'itunes' shortcut on my desktop

Detale
04-19-2010, 12:25 AM
I still hate that damn icon! :frusty:

brotherdoobie
04-19-2010, 05:19 AM
FFS, man...

http://i.imgur.com/W4bIB.jpg

It "fell off the truck", eh?

-doobs

Detale
04-19-2010, 01:17 PM
You know I thought I was safe in the HW section. I guess not. Is that your latest scam Doobs?

brotherdoobie
04-19-2010, 08:16 PM
You know I thought I was safe in the HW section. I guess not. Is that your latest scam Doobs?

We're everywhere, man.

Anyhoo, I recall you mentioning that your son enjoys Disney Car shorts and such. Have you tried Vimeo?

http://vimeo.com/

-doobs

Diablo
04-19-2010, 10:43 PM
Chicas, Champagne, but no flash

Detale
04-19-2010, 10:55 PM
Na never watched the Vimeo but I'll check it out thanks ;)

Polarbear
05-12-2010, 05:42 AM
It sold over one million pieces only in the U.S. The afore mentioned HP Slate and the Microsoft one (can't even remember the name) are both discontinued. Apparently they were afraid that their supposedly technical better devices couldn't compete with the iPad.

Netbook sales have decreased. Although the iPad was never meant to be a netbook replacement it cannbalises the netbook market. Even Nintendo spoke of a serious new competitor when it comes to portable gaming.

The sales outside the U.S. haven't even started. Despite all the critics I predicted that the iPad is going to be a huge success shortly after the first details came out. Turns out that I was right.

So how do you respectively your wife like the iPad, Detale? Are all who bought one stupid or is it cool?
I'm thinking about getting one for my mum. She could use it everywhere in the house. She's 64 and knows nothing about computers. Windows on the laptop is too much for her. I think with the iPad she will be able to write emails or surf the net. My father takes a lot of pics that she could carry around and show to her friends. She wouldn't do that with a netbook. I've heard of 4yo children that can handle an iPad. That's exactly what I need. An easy way for her to do all the things that we would do with a laptop.

Solstice
05-12-2010, 07:01 AM
Apple could shit in a paper bag, sell it for $200 and the fork for $50, and people would still eat it up.

They've done a very good job at catering to the computer-idiot market, which as it turns out, is most people. Whodathunk you could sell computers to people who can't operate computers?

Doesn't change much though. I'll still respect them for their success... and hate them for their overpriced, low functionality products and downright scary market influence.

Polarbear
05-12-2010, 08:41 AM
I'll still respect them for their success... and hate them for their overpriced, low functionality products and downright scary market influence.

Why do hundreds of millions of people (the iPod alone sold more than 230 million times) do not consider Apple products overpriced and low functionality? If they did they wouldn't buy them, right?

If the iPhone is a piece of crap, why do people buy it and stick with it?

Tell the shareholders that Apple is the most valuable and successful technology company right now because all Apple customers are computer idiots who don't know better. All you'll get is a smile. :yup:

clocker
05-12-2010, 12:25 PM
Whodathunk you could sell computers to people who can't operate computers?

Michael Dell?

Detale
05-13-2010, 02:19 PM
Ted Waitt

CitiTechno
05-20-2010, 08:52 AM
well, ur only human after all

& we all know that job uses black magic to make us buy apple products

so its not really ur fault

congrats though

Solstice
05-25-2010, 10:13 PM
Why do hundreds of millions of people (the iPod alone sold more than 230 million times) do not consider Apple products overpriced and low functionality? If they did they wouldn't buy them, right?

Tell the shareholders that Apple is the most valuable and successful technology company right now because all Apple customers are computer idiots who don't know better. All you'll get is a smile. :yup:

Most people have NO clue what they're actually buying when it comes to electronics. They have no clue what 1080p or 802.11n or OLED is. When my girlfriend went to pick out a new phone, do you know what her #1 wish was? Pink. That was the first thing she cared about. Not touchscreens, full qwerty pads, battery life, camera quality, or anything remotely technical. She wanted a pink phone (which is exactly why I was there to help). That was about as far ahead as she had thought, because electronics are scary and confusing and people just want something that looks good and works.

So why do people buy iProducts? Because they're expertly marketed and have appealing designs. In other words, they look good and they work. That's all they have to do to be a success. Mix in Apple's hint of cachet, and suddenly everyone wants one, technical aspects be damned.

Those of us who refuse to be overtaken by hype, and care to research the technical aspects of a purchase, see Apple products for what they really are: Reliable and easy to use, but generally overpriced possessing limited functionality. Me, I like functionality and my money, and I don't mind tweaking and hacking things. That's why I own a Cowon S9 and not an iPod, an Aspire One (netbook) and not an iPad, and a SE T715a ('dumb'phone) and not an iPhone.

But I am not most people. They can have their iStuff, and i'm quite sure most of them don't care if geeks like me look down on their purchases. C'est la vie.

Detale
05-26-2010, 02:34 AM
Oh I still look down on "ibuyers" with extreme prejudice. As you said though they have an excellent marketing team who gets the unknowing consumer to shell out the big dough for their inferior hardware.

Speedo
06-05-2010, 09:15 PM

They buy it because of the massive media campagne. And stick with it because their stupid.

JunkBarMan
06-05-2010, 10:04 PM

They buy it because of the massive media campagne. And stick with it because their stupid.

People stick with cell phones, for various reasons, fanboyism, don't like change, cant/wont/dont want to pay the cancellation fees.

Detale
06-06-2010, 04:54 PM
Now even I the self proclaimed mac hating king can admit the iphone is an amazing piece of hardware. I have had almost every "smart" phone except the androids and the iphone beats them all in functionality and appearance. Hey so what, Mr. Jobs got a good one after all those lemons.