PDA

View Full Version : What.CD Users No Longer Disabled For Low Ratio

Hombre
04-08-2010, 02:50 PM
Now that you're all buffered up, we have another piece of news - we will no longer be disabling accounts for low ratio. Instead, if you are unable to get your ratio above your required ratio after two weeks of ratio watch, your leeching privileges will be revoked until your ratio is above the 0% seeded requirement for your downloaded amount. Your leeching privileges will be automatically given back when that requirement is met.
We will, however, continue to automatically disable accounts which download over 10GB while on ratio watch.

from what.cd

The new changes relax the rules on ratio and should help users who are struggling to keep up with the site’s upload:download requirements. However, that doesn’t mean members are now allowed to hit and or to not care about their global ratio at all – those who engage in these bad practices will still face consequences.

TONiC
04-08-2010, 03:13 PM
Sucks to be the last person banned for a low ratio...

thisguy
04-08-2010, 03:22 PM
i dont know if this is actually good or bad, good because now you dont have to worry but bad because some people might not share to care and sharing is caring

anon
04-08-2010, 04:00 PM
some people might not share to care and sharing is caring

And that's why their downloading privileges are disabled. For a leecher the tracker becomes useless unless they upload enough to pull themselves out of the hole.

anonymous0711
04-08-2010, 04:09 PM
Idk it seems like something less than ideal is going on at what.cd
this may just be me being skeptical but first(i guess this was a while ago) they open up the irc interview process so basically anyone who wants it even remotely bad enough and isnt in a bad country can get in and now they are getting rid of the ratios... maybe they need as many members as possible(maybe for donations)

of course i could be completely off base and this would work out amazingly i guess im just being a cynic...

anon
04-08-2010, 04:13 PM
now they are getting rid of the ratios...

They aren't getting rid of ratios, they're only taking your leeching privileges away instead of disabling you if you don't manage to get through ratio watch.

typeoholic
04-08-2010, 04:18 PM
Sounds like What.cd is feeling the economic crunch right alongside the rest of us. Whatever the case, it seems they are giving more than a fair chance to both the careless and the accident prone. I'm content with the Waffles heaped on my plate. . . ;)

1000possibleclaws
04-08-2010, 04:29 PM
I think this is good in more ways then it is bad. It encourages people not to try and make a new account, and instead fix their current account. Also, if they keep logging in, whatcd will keep track of their ip on the chance that they will later try and make a new account.

ca_aok
04-08-2010, 04:45 PM
this may just be me being skeptical but first(i guess this was a while ago) they open up the irc interview process so basically anyone who wants it even remotely bad enough and isnt in a bad country can get in and now they are getting rid of the ratios... maybe they need as many members as possible(maybe for donations)

of course i could be completely off base and this would work out amazingly i guess im just being a cynic...
Not exactly sure how this move translates into them trying to force donations out of people... it's not like donating will get you out of ratio watch, nor would I think it likely that someone who can't even download from a site at the moment would make donations to said site.

The IRC interview process is a great thing in my opinion, I wish it existed back when I joined. Gives people a chance to join regardless of whether they have friends on the inside, especially since What cracks down hard on invite giveaway threads.

And finally, they aren't getting rid of ratio. They've removed the stipulation that if you go on ratio watch and don't upload enough within two weeks, you get banned. This will merely help those who make a genuine effort to seed their snatches to get out of ratio watch, and hurt those who can't be assed.

tippertime
04-08-2010, 06:03 PM
I'm content with the Waffles heaped on my plate. . . ;)

+1 I loves me some waffles...however, I did just donate to what...impulse buy I guess :wacko:

karachidude
04-08-2010, 07:31 PM
great tracker whatcd..too bad my country's banned there :(

anon
04-08-2010, 07:52 PM
As far as I know they don't ban any countries from the tracker... just the IRC interview.

QPD
04-08-2010, 08:24 PM
* Up: 107.87 GB
* Down: 6.14 GB
* Ratio: 17.55

anon
04-08-2010, 08:26 PM
I knew you'd make a great user. :O

THEBAR
04-08-2010, 10:25 PM
I have 140GB buffer, but I still have .04 ratio requirement

elbuitre
04-09-2010, 02:58 AM

music has many more releases than any other pirateable thing. Now, if what.cd is like a catalog of all music possible it makes sense to have a constant flow of user to extend said catalog. It's also important for people to download stuff so they can seed them. This recent measures (including the freeleech) will lead to a much better seeded site. Not all torrents are well seeded there. Many ratio hoarding people who do not seed always because they have a huge buffer. I think what makes for a great what.cd is to keep torrents alive not having a huge upload amount, so that's what i try to do. And I feel these are good measures.

Say you go ahead and join. You can download 100GB of stuff you can download (without any REAL ratio requirements, if you seed) to build a good library of music, both for yourself and to seed, and once you go over 100GB and get on ratio watch you can still go and download 10GB more. There you have 110 GB to seed and listen right there, which is plenty for both :)

Cabalo
04-09-2010, 04:55 AM
(off topic)
An Emilio Butragueño fan?

Speedo
04-09-2010, 09:24 AM
It's about time something like this was done, hope waffles follow up on this. Those sites are hard enough to seed already. And in my view their not sites for true music lovers when you have to care more about ratio than releases.

kPOid
04-09-2010, 12:18 PM
Great news for What.CD users. I wish I was in there...

anon
04-09-2010, 12:42 PM
If you aren't from a banned country, the IRC interview will let you transform thoughts into actions. ;)

elbuitre
04-09-2010, 08:55 PM
(off topic)
An Emilio Butragueño fan?

i had to google that name so... :pinch:... not really a fan of grown men that chase balls for a living :noes: