View Full Version : United-Forums has pulled the plug.

TheAce
04-09-2010, 12:21 AM
United-Forums has pulled the plug & closed down the site for good.

bonkers
04-09-2010, 07:07 AM
thats a great loss that place was a lovely forum lots of goodies on offer everyday such a shame to loose a forum as that:(:(

Ulvinn
04-09-2010, 05:00 PM
It's allways a shame seeing a site of that size go down. But like so many other places, united forums had one big flaw that dragged it to the bottom end of my prefered ones - those damn "thank you" messages. All you ever saw there was braindead "wow thanks dude" kind of preplies due to the mandatory "thank the chap who found you an NZB" rules.

puskas66
04-09-2010, 05:02 PM
They are still better than people sitting leeching shed loads of stuff and saying nothing or offering nothing back

Ulvinn
04-09-2010, 05:07 PM
They are still better than people sitting leeching shed loads of stuff and saying nothing or offering nothing back

I can somewhat agree to that. But an even better option is to have something meaningfull going on instead - look at this site, it's a fine example of what happens when you encourage people NOT to post thank you messages. And as said - eventhough it wasn't my favourite place, it's still a shame to see it go.

puskas66
04-09-2010, 06:01 PM
Yeah but look how many posts have no replies.The idea is immense and absolutely right.I'd rather see posts about quality etc but lets face most just come to leech

Chalky94
04-09-2010, 06:06 PM
Was a great forum, sad to see it go.

puskas66
04-09-2010, 06:53 PM
Yup same here Chalky94

jbloggs
04-09-2010, 07:45 PM
Always sad to see a site close. Glad that there other good sites around.

Tom0102
04-09-2010, 08:13 PM
Was a great forum, sad to see it go.

same here buddy, spent a fair amount of time on there

Chalky94
04-09-2010, 08:24 PM
Always sad to see a site close. Glad that there other good sites around.

You say that, but the sites will soon fall...

yuit
04-09-2010, 09:18 PM
something to do with the newzbin court case?

ironside211
04-09-2010, 09:33 PM
So c`mon Ulvinn Share your thoughts with the rest of us sad folks here, were do you go thats better than the likes of United Forums, cause ive been so settled at United for a long time & will sadly miss all those thanks i posted just to say cheers dudes for helping us out a bit? Without sites like this & the rest were would we go for our daily fix I ask you "PEACE" bros.........

bonkers
04-09-2010, 09:50 PM
there was a lot of content on there that you will struggle to find at other forums unless the poster decides to carry on posting and jumps to another forum and a lot of the stuff was up there before many other forums also

Ulvinn
04-10-2010, 01:06 AM
So c`mon Ulvinn Share your thoughts with the rest of us sad folks here, were do you go thats better than the likes of United Forums, cause ive been so settled at United for a long time & will sadly miss all those thanks i posted just to say cheers dudes for helping us out a bit? Without sites like this & the rest were would we go for our daily fix I ask you "PEACE" bros.........

Unfortunately the few sites that I frequent regurlarly are, for now, closed to the outside (there's a bit of panicking due to the recent newsbin issue). But, there are certainly a great number of sites that can provide content in the likes of what united forum did. I haven't been there for some time, but NZB magic has previously been a good place to visit - runs under nearly the same princip as U.F. Another option could be NZB forum. I've never really used the place, but from a quick glance it looks reasonable.

I'm at work right now, so you'll have to google the names for adresses. I have more places which I don't think has been made private - as they also work with the "thank the messenger" type of rules, but I don't have those links on my work PC and I can't remember them by memory. But I'll toss an update in as soon as I'm home again. Appart from that there's also this very site. The NZB setion could do with a little restructuring, but you can find the more popular things easily.

Alternatively you could also switch úsenet provider to a place where newsrover is included in the price. Newsrover comes with a search server. I actually think that it might be possible to generate NZB's from searches on the free to try version, with that you could download the files from whatever program you normally use. The downside to that is that you'll have to know what you're searching for, or subscribe to places with the kind of downloads you're going for.

SonsOfLiberty
04-11-2010, 11:21 PM
Go for the Dutch/German sites, that's where the "major" content comes from, and of course the "IRC only efnet channels".

gooner
04-12-2010, 08:40 PM
Like previous comments the required reply messages meant you had pages of "OMG fanx 2 da posterz" / TY XxX etc type messages but there was some decent comments regarding content (and the pass-protected links). Also some great stuff for us UK people as the majority of posters/members (seemed?) to be some from the UK.

thenormal
04-12-2010, 09:45 PM
do you guys think Usenet NZB Forums are better then NZB-only sites like NZB-Matrix or Newzbin?

Rart
04-13-2010, 01:54 AM
Yeah but look how many posts have no replies.The idea is immense and absolutely right.I'd rather see posts about quality etc but lets face most just come to leech

On the flip side though, having no "thank you" posts is what helps the people find the information they need. Instead of having to wade through pages of spam, if for example a game crack isn't quite working, you can see all the relevant posts, immediately rather than dispersed through pages of "thanks".

mtec
04-13-2010, 08:27 AM
yes the owner just closed it down never even had the curtisy to inform the staff or the members you paid to keep the site running in my opinion hes a shithouse and coward he could have spent a few minutes writing a mass pm

pakito
04-13-2010, 04:26 PM
Go for the Dutch/German sites, that's where the "major" content comes from, and of course the "IRC only efnet channels".

SonsOfLiberty, Can you develop this? Can you give the names of the channels or quote german webpages? Thanks

HeavenlyDonut
04-16-2010, 12:14 AM
Hello TheAce & other UF members i recognise.

The argument of whether the 'thanks' reply approach was good goes back and forth. Personally i always thought it prevented members being able to warn others about a bad copy. For example, a post could be in correct, i could highlight this by posting in a larger font/bold and the post could still get 100 + replies where people would be wasting their time. However, the thank replies are also necessary as it does motivate people to post stuff as they wouldnt if they didnt receive the thanks IMO.

Very upset to see UF go down. It was a useful forum with a lot of helpful members which i used regularly alongside my other resources to get NZB. The best thing was to advise me of what good new releases there and give me some advise on what to watch! You could quickly look at the movie/tv forums and see whats new/good quality/and popular allowing you to investigate further! That was the best thing about the forum.

Anyways. As UF has died, where are we all migrating to next? I'm not convinvced by either magic nzb and nzbforum - neither look convincingly good on first impressions. Looking forward to hearing what others are going to do?

c0ld
04-16-2010, 12:37 AM
the names of the channels The names are on every header they post..

lou1z
04-21-2010, 07:41 AM
it's a shame. i really liked that site and it did have some good content with lots of effort being put in.
is there an equivalent out there? eg top 40 albums weekly etc?
i hope so.
and just where is everybody else going to?

a pm or an announcement on the homepage would have been nice as well but heyho.....

djerholler69
04-21-2010, 10:55 AM
united-forums were also part of my go-to sites when i used newsgroups, so it's kind of sad to hear now that they're gone! But these things do happen, and others will slowly take over its place :)

cat123
04-21-2010, 06:35 PM
I'm also really gutted had been going to that forum for years and it was always one of the best. Can't believe it just closed down without any notice or anything.

dannyboyno7
04-21-2010, 07:03 PM
realy sorry to see it go, was one of my fav's!

TheAce
04-22-2010, 11:45 AM
Hello TheAce & other UF members i recognise.

The argument of whether the 'thanks' reply approach was good goes back and forth. Personally i always thought it prevented members being able to warn others about a bad copy. For example, a post could be in correct, i could highlight this by posting in a larger font/bold and the post could still get 100 + replies where people would be wasting their time. However, the thank replies are also necessary as it does motivate people to post stuff as they wouldnt if they didnt receive the thanks IMO.

Very upset to see UF go down. It was a useful forum with a lot of helpful members which i used regularly alongside my other resources to get NZB. The best thing was to advise me of what good new releases there and give me some advise on what to watch! You could quickly look at the movie/tv forums and see whats new/good quality/and popular allowing you to investigate further! That was the best thing about the forum.

Anyways. As UF has died, where are we all migrating to next? I'm not convinvced by either magic nzb and nzbforum - neither look convincingly good on first impressions. Looking forward to hearing what others are going to do?

Hi HeavenlyDonut

I and some of the other staff did not agree with having to put a good thankyou message I as some other staff thought, yes there should be a thankyou button at least & the quickreply should have been used fo Quality ETC Also members could have voluntarily put there remarks or thanks in there if they wanted to.
But the final decisions were down to the ADMINS MDK & VICE.
And thats the way they wanted it.

Regards TheAce

HeavenlyDonut
04-22-2010, 12:17 PM
That's understandable. Only thing i would of changed about the forum!

Any advice on which forums i should move to next? Struggling to find one as big and indepth with all the subforums as united forums had.

cat123
04-24-2010, 10:58 AM
The thing I liked about UF was that you could find stuff that was unusual at other places or through a search site. Its a big loss even with the thank you messages and passwords.

thenormal
04-24-2010, 11:49 AM
could anyone please suggest more sites like this? I mean, forum-based NZB sites...

I download all my NZBs from newzbin or NZBMatrix, so i'm getting curious to check how a forum-based NZB site is...

loopyludo
04-29-2010, 12:16 PM
I switched from UF to Merlins Portal a while back, no post for thanks, there is a thanks button, also if you D/L the NZB it adds a thanks to the uploader.

Therefore the only additional posts are all to do with the quality or a fix. I did however used to go back and use UF for more of the stuff that is less common so I will still miss it.