PDA

View Full Version : How Could I Connect Online Without Using Aol?

twisterX
10-26-2003, 02:27 AM
when i connect using aol it uses up so much memory. Is there a way to connect online without loading up the browser
? :D

Livy
10-26-2003, 02:29 AM
im sure there is, im sure i heard 3rd gen sayin he done it on one of his mates pcs i think???

boyzeee
10-26-2003, 02:41 AM
easy this one...... get another isp........its affectionally known as aoHELL for good reason. garbage browser, gets into everything making it a nightmare to uninstall (it even makes a back-up of itself just in case you change ya mind :lol: :lol: ) seriously, to get out of ya contract just tell them you leavin the country unexpectedly or pretend you some1 else and tell them that "you" have died ;) and no longer need it, or just tell them that they promised a great internet experience and they have not fullfilled there contract! ;)

Keikan
10-26-2003, 03:28 AM
It's all you need to know. (http://www.netzero.net)

abu_has_the_power
10-26-2003, 04:13 AM
netzero used to be free back in the day. hmm...

Evil Gemini
10-26-2003, 04:28 AM
Im pretty sure all you will need to know is your username, password and the phone number.

Try just making a new connection without the aol disk.

(i have never used aol)

tarzan
10-26-2003, 04:28 AM
Originally posted by abu_has_the_power@26 October 2003 - 04:13
netzero used to be free back in the day. hmm...
it still is for 15 hours a month i think
i would eat my month in a day

The Great Sephiroth
10-28-2003, 05:34 AM
nope, i dont think its possible...i try like hell to do the same thing and i just coulndt do it. you should get rid of that Sh*t, its nothing but a monopoly. AOL forces users to use their program to use the internet and for email. i tried using a different email program with aol and it just doesnt work.

my advice?? dont go into irc using aol...specially into the "haxor" channels.

Keikan
10-28-2003, 06:12 AM
If you don't want to change isps then you are an "AOLamer"

asmithz
10-28-2003, 06:14 AM
Just use the Acess number and use IE as your browser. The best way is to get a real isp tho.

rf9rider
10-28-2003, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by The Great Sephiroth@28 October 2003 - 05:34
nope, i dont think its possible...i try like hell to do the same thing and i just coulndt do it. you should get rid of that Sh*t, its nothing but a monopoly. AOL forces users to use their program to use the internet and for email. i tried using a different email program with aol and it just doesnt work.

I use AOL and i have no problem using other Email, i have a yahoo account and a BT account.

Monkeee
10-28-2003, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by The Great Sephiroth@28 October 2003 - 05:34

wait are you general in the level cause AOL has these levels thingy and the only REAL internet is the general level if your anything under general is not internet. i tryed using something under general level and internet explorer wouldn't connect kazaa wouldn't connect nothing wouldn't connect....

AOL SUCKS

(SBC YAHOO DSL RULES!!)

ScotchGuy
10-28-2003, 08:29 AM
Read This (http://www.ultra-hiptastic.com/AOL.htm)

Amarjit
10-28-2003, 12:16 PM
I'd agree with the person suggesting to move away from AOHELL, it's without a doubt the worst ISP known to man. Basically, it's software is infested with spyware and the actual Broadband services are crap. I'd recommend Gio Internet.

Marius24
10-28-2003, 12:53 PM
stay as far away from aol as u can <_<

shn
02-15-2004, 06:05 AM
Originally posted by twister203@25 October 2003 - 20:27
when i connect using aol it uses up so much memory. Is there a way to connect online without loading up the browser
Drop aol and use Rip The Jacker&#39;s helpful guide for free juno :lol:

Or get more ram :blink:

Smurfette
02-15-2004, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by twister203@26 October 2003 - 02:27
No, there isn&#39;t a way to connect to AOL without using their software. You can&#39;t read AOL email with anything else either AFAIK.
You can connect using their software, then minimise it and use the proper IE (or anything you fancy) though.
If you want to be rid of their software, use the uninstall feature then either find/read the AOL install log (in the Windows directory, I think) and manually remove anything left behind or phone their free helpline and complain the uninstall didn&#39;t work and you want to remove every trace.
Do this before you cancel the service though, as afterward you won&#39;t get free help.

It&#39;s easy for many people in here to trash AOL but I always recommend it to people getting their first computer because the help system is comprehensive and the helpline is free, which means I don&#39;t get bugged about stupid things like where emails go when they&#39;ve been read.

Ariel_001
02-15-2004, 08:12 PM
I think you can just use AOL nunber/Username/Password in dial up networking. Just make a new network connection.

shn
02-15-2004, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by Ariel_001@15 February 2004 - 14:12
I think you can just use AOL nunber/Username/Password in dial up networking. Just make a new network connection.
You cant do that with aol unless you use a slip connection, and slip connections are outdated and speeds drop to like 30k. Ppp connections are only allowed by the use of their software which is one the reasons they suck because you can only connect to aol with windows.

Most other isp&#39;s allow you to just specifiy a username and password and access number and you can connect however you want.

@Smurfette -- You can read aol email by going to aol.com and logging in and using web based mail I think.

There is no need to fire up that memory hogging beast just to check your email and log right back off :lol:

Samurai
02-15-2004, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by Smurfette@15 February 2004 - 18:22
You can&#39;t read AOL email with anything else either AFAIK.
Wrong.

You can access your AOL Email from IE, by simply visiting AOL (http://www.aol.com/) and typing in your username and password.

As for connecting to the Internet without using the AOL software, I believe it is possible but very difficult. I myself used AOL many years ago when I had my BT line disconnected and got NTL (Cable TV & Telephone Service). It wasn&#39;t until NTL launched broadband that I switched. AOL use specific .dll&#39;s whilst connecting to ensure that you don&#39;t just insert the appropriate telephone number in &#39;New Connection&#39; and away you go. Keep searching... I believe the solution is out there somewhere.

Samurai :ph34r:

shn
02-15-2004, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by Samurai+15 February 2004 - 14:35--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Samurai &#064; 15 February 2004 - 14:35)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-Smurfette@15 February 2004 - 18:22
You can&#39;t read AOL email with anything else either AFAIK.
Wrong.

You can access your AOL Email from IE, by simply visiting AOL (http://www.aol.com/) and typing in your username and password.

As for connecting to the Internet without using the AOL software, I believe it is possible but very difficult. I myself used AOL many years ago when I had my BT line disconnected and got NTL (Cable TV & Telephone Service). It wasn&#39;t until NTL launched broadband that I switched. AOL use specific .dll&#39;s whilst connecting to ensure that you don&#39;t just insert the appropriate telephone number in &#39;New Connection&#39; and away you go. Keep searching... I believe the solution is out there somewhere.

Samurai :ph34r:[/b][/quote]
It is not possible. That&#39;s one of the main reasons people complain because their forced to use their software. Unless your on broadband and already have an internet connection then your not about to connect to aol dial up without their software.

As for difficult, there is nothing difficult about setting up a ppp or dial up connection. There is no advanced way to do it to get past using aol shitty software. I know people that use aol and do not complain at all about the software. Dont ask me why, I guess their half crazy :blink:

specific .dll&#39;s ? :lol: The only thing they do is setup all their ras servers to refuse any connetions unless its coming from the aol client, or software. And I dont nee to search to confirm that................what good would do? I dont use the crappy shit anyway. :)

*Edit*

@Smurfette -- My apologies I was not thinking too clearly. What you said actually makes sense. There is no way to even check your email without firing up aol. How is a 56k user going to go to aol.com and check their email from ie when they wont even be connected to the internet unless they use aol?

My bad :lol:

AcID ZeR0
02-16-2004, 04:07 PM
Ya seriously dude.. leave AOHell.

I used to be with them back in the day damn they suck... they&#39;ve got media connections too i.e warner brothers so they&#39;re really tight on piracy and downloading, Get caught twice and you&#39;re out type of shit.

neevakee
02-16-2004, 04:43 PM
if you are using dsl. then you can plug your password in to a router and it will log you in automatically evertime. No need for software. If you have dial up read the guide on free juno dial up.

p2pmaster
03-07-2004, 10:52 AM
just connect using your modem drivers

r just use the windows dialler i used to connect easy without using aol then its just like connecting to a real isp

just simply type username- [email protected]
password- woteva it is

then just connect normally like u would using BT etc