PDA

View Full Version : Humans

hobbes
10-26-2003, 04:10 AM
Tonight, I watched the World Series.

What I find so inspiring about professional sports is the breakdown of racism. To win this event requires a very special relationship and commitment among the players.

I love to see black men and white men, embracing each other, united under a common goal, and blind to the color of skin. You look into their eyes and see that they regard one another as a person and not a color. That is what we strive for, as a society. That is why sports are so important to our American culture. Racism is left behind, everyone is united, color, religion, and heritage are irrelevant.

This is the utopia the melting pot was created for!!!!!

sparsely
10-26-2003, 04:59 AM
yes, it's very uplifting.
Grown men making ridiculous amounts of money playing games...sporting logos of corporations who are buying our lives
one commercial at a time.
I still don't understand why it's called the "World" series when the U.S. (& canada) are the only ones involved.

Loomis
10-26-2003, 05:03 AM
I can't prove the whole coporations-own-us theory.
But it's the World Series because players from all over the world can play in it (even the Japanese have a representative this year!!)

Broken
10-26-2003, 05:13 AM
It's very arrogant, and very american.

I love my country! :)

sparsely
10-26-2003, 05:33 AM
what's your country?

Broken
10-26-2003, 05:37 AM
USA

sparsely
10-26-2003, 05:38 AM
oh. patriotism?
That's for sale too.

Rat Faced
10-26-2003, 11:29 AM
Tonight, I watched the World Series.

How did GB do?

I hear that France had a real chance this year....... <_<

J'Pol
10-26-2003, 11:36 AM
Nice uplifting post hobbes.

Such a pity it degenerated into negativity and obvious, petty bickering so quickly.

So many half empty glasses, it is rather depressing.

It makes one feel very futilistic.

Rat Faced
10-26-2003, 11:39 AM
I dont think that anyone was attacking hobbes post which was, after all, meant in the best possible way; and has a very valid point we&#39;d all agree with...

Just the "World Series" name grates on everyone elses tits... :P

J'Pol
10-26-2003, 12:13 PM
What about the FA Cup (no mention of England or English there), we call our premier knock-out trophy the Scottish Cup.

What about The Open, which is I believe what the British Open (golf) is known as.

I have no problem with it being called the World series. It&#39;s just a name.

Oh and the first post in reply was not just about the name, it was primarily about the commerciality.

It would have been nice to have stayed on the positive note for longer than 0 posts.

imnotanaddict
10-26-2003, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by JPaul@26 October 2003 - 11:36
Nice uplifting post hobbes.

Such a pity it degenerated into negativity and obvious, petty bickering so quickly.

So many half empty glasses, it is rather depressing.

It makes one feel very futilistic.
Thats twice I&#39;ve seen you use the word "futilistic" in replies this morning JPaul
(rushing to a dictionary). Or are you a spy and this is some kind of message...
but I&#39;m getting off topic. Nevermind.

bigboab
10-26-2003, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by hobbes@26 October 2003 - 04:10
I love to see black men and white men, embracing each other
Each to their own. :unsure:

hobbes
10-26-2003, 04:46 PM
Thanks for that JPaul.

In the future, the World Series will be renamed "The Universe Series", Earth will renamed "The United States and those other countries" and we will all greet each other with the corporate slogan of the day.

-"Hi Bob, Just do it&#33;"
-"Oh hey Steve, have a Coke and a smile". No seriously I mean it, drink a friggin&#39; Coke&#33; If you don&#39;t they will take my wife away again"
-"Fine, but you had better get busy doin&#39; it&#33;"

exeus
10-26-2003, 04:58 PM
(Sparsely) did make some very valid points

hobbes
10-26-2003, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by exeus@26 October 2003 - 17:58
Poor little boy got lost in the literal interpretation of the words and missed the concept altogether.

The post was about any event, anywhere, where people come together to accomplish a common goal. A human bond forms and things like color, ethnicity, and religion become irrelevant. This is what we as people should strive for, the single greatest goal we can have. All this totally missed.

Concrete people do not do well with abstract ideas. Sparsely&#39;s post rings of adolescence and sour grapes. His comments are as relevant to the meaning of the post as not liking a book because of it&#39;s cover.

J'Pol
10-26-2003, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by exeus@26 October 2003 - 17:58
Not arguing with that old bean.

It would just have been nice for the positive feeling to have been allowed for a few minutes.

Rather than cynicism throttling it at birth. The forum is becoming futilistic in it&#39;s very soul.

TheDave
10-26-2003, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by hobbes+26 October 2003 - 17:14--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (hobbes @ 26 October 2003 - 17:14)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-exeus@26 October 2003 - 17:58
Poor little boy got lost in the literal interpretation of the words and missed the concept altogether.

The post was about any event, anywhere, where people come together to accomplish a common goal. A human bond forms and things like color, ethnicity, and religion become irrelevant. This is what we as people should strive for, the single greatest goal we can have. All this totally missed.

Concrete people do not do well with abstract ideas. Sparsely&#39;s post rings of adolescence and sour grapes. His comments are as relevant to the meaning of the post as not liking a book because of it&#39;s cover. [/b][/quote]
yeah but remember the common goal is beat everyone else.

sorry :unsure:

hobbes
10-26-2003, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by TheDave+26 October 2003 - 18:16--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (TheDave &#064; 26 October 2003 - 18:16)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by hobbes@26 October 2003 - 17:14
<!--QuoteBegin-exeus@26 October 2003 - 17:58

Concrete people do not do well with abstract ideas. Sparsely&#39;s post rings of adolescence and sour grapes. His comments are as relevant to the meaning of the post as not liking a book because of it&#39;s cover.
yeah but remember the common goal is beat everyone else.
sorry :unsure:[/b][/quote]

Again, sports is just an example. Defeating another in a sport is fine because no one gets hurt or dies.. The victor receives a trophy which has no value, it is the process of achieving the trophy which brings the rewards.

Sports are people getting excited over absolutely nothing. Sports are a great societal luxury. If we were starving, imprisoned, or under attack do you think anyone would give a rats ass over a baseball game or soccer match? These things would be revealed as the meaningless diversions they are.

My post was broader than that. It can be people coming together to build a house, construct a dam of sandbags to save a town from flooding, or simply having 50,000 thousand voices come together as one singing any national anthem.

Fly little birds, fly.

hobbes
10-27-2003, 12:07 AM
Man, I can hear the fat popping&#33;

sparsely
10-27-2003, 12:10 AM
Just trying to balance out the scales is all...

Thanks for reacting. ;)

Rat Faced
10-27-2003, 12:12 AM
http://www.ebaumsworld.com/forumfun/positive4.jpg

hobbes
10-27-2003, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by Sparsely@27 October 2003 - 01:10
Just trying to balance out the scales is all...

Thanks for reacting. ;)
Sorry parsley,

We were just wondering why you felt the need to express your agenda when the post was about something so important to us all.

Please continue to indulge in your trivial nonsense. What balance are you trying to make? If you had any understanding about the concept of the thread you would have STFU.

Thanks for wasting everyones time, you pinhead&#33;

RGX
10-27-2003, 01:44 AM
Originally posted by hobbes@27 October 2003 - 02:40
Well, the retard has no response. Very expected
Im sorry to challenge the obviously superior intellect of hobbes, but isnt calling someone a retard (which is extremley offensive to anyone with a mental defficiency or relatives etc) a little childish?

Awaits the intellectual barrage of flame

hobbes
10-27-2003, 01:47 AM
Originally posted by RGX+27 October 2003 - 02:44--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (RGX &#064; 27 October 2003 - 02:44)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-hobbes@27 October 2003 - 02:40
Well, the retard has no response. Very expected
Im sorry to challenge the obviously superior intellect of hobbes, but isnt calling someone a retard (which is extremley offensive to anyone with a mental defficiency or relatives etc) a little childish?

Awaits the intellectual barrage of flame [/b][/quote]
Ah, you are right, my bad.

edited

J'Pol
10-27-2003, 02:06 AM
All hobbes was doing was posting something positive.

Why did it have to be attacked in the first reply. Would it have been that bad for us to be uplifted for just a few moments.

Does it always have to be cynicism as the immediate response. Trust me, life is allowed to be positive sometimes. Be 10 again and think of the world as a good and happy place.

It won&#39;t make you a bad person. In fact it might help you, there is no rule which says that you have to be constantly angry.

It&#39;s a wonderful life.

kurtsl0an
10-27-2003, 02:50 AM
Originally posted by JPaul@27 October 2003 - 02:06
It&#39;s a wonderful life.
really? i may need to see proof of that - :blink:

sparsely
10-27-2003, 04:44 AM
Actually, I feel the same way you do when I see large groups of people come together for the same purpose, whether it&#39;s a
concert, celebration, protest, or whatever. I find it quite moving when all differences are cast aside in order to focus on
one thing, especially when it&#39;s for fun...like at a concert.

But

In the back of my mind there&#39;s always this little voice whispering that yes, it&#39;s great, but it&#39;s all a facade; fueled by motives that are
less than uplifting. It doesn&#39;t make me angry or depressed or cynical really. In fact, usually it makes me feel better in the situation,
as I can appreciate it more by seeing the reality of it.
The reason people like cheesy "feel-good" movies is because they allow us, for a short while, to forget the workd is rotten.

take it how you want, call me what you want. I feel just fine about it. ^_^