PDA

View Full Version : anyone recommend a VPN provider?

BigH
04-12-2010, 11:41 AM
with the introduction of the Digital Economy Bill, I'm toying with the idea of re-routing all my newsgroup traffic through a VPN.

anyone suggest which company to go for? (one with no capped limits)

I did try Swiss VPN some time last year, but my 50Mb connection dropped to about 5Mb - is this to be expected? Or what sort of speeds should I get?

Thanks

fleccy
04-12-2010, 04:21 PM
Just use SSL and virgin media can't see what you download.

takeaseat
04-12-2010, 04:27 PM
Well if he is with Virgin Media, and using they're free newsgroups then there wouldn't be any SSL.

Alternatively you could get a newsgroup provider and have them provide you with SSL -> and they would certainly max out your connection. SSL might even help overcome any traffic shaping if virgin media do that, dunno.

BigH
04-12-2010, 06:06 PM
yep - already use SSL with my VM

thought that a VPN would add extra layer of security - but I guess I'm worrying unnecessarily

c0ld
04-13-2010, 02:39 AM
VPN protect you from unsafe peers on p2p and m.i.t.m. snooping of http, but if you have ssl usenet to a trusted provider it's fairly pointless.

Expeto
04-13-2010, 05:42 PM
Good newgroups encrypts your connection by SSL which is almost as good as VPN

The single most important thing if your VPN disconnects even only once a day, its enought to leak your IP.
So make sure to get a good VPN and make sure to have good configuration. Even best VPN disconnects sometimes. Make sure your computer stops connections when VPN is down. You can configure some clients for this. Some firewall software also can do this(try googling "utorrent comodo VPN") Almost every VPN disconnects once in a while but "50Mb connection dropped to about 5Mb" means your VPN is :shit: . If you don't have another solution try VPNetMon to stop leak of IP (http://download.cnet.com/VPNetMon/3000-2162_4-10688111.html) a tiny software which kills certain software the moment VPN disconnects

The thing about VPN they can keep your ip safe but they might also serve a pot for anti-piracy groups collecting IP adresses. You need a provider you can trust.

I done way too many research on this subject, and there is no big difference between providers. So I choosed to most trusteble company I could trust, ipredator (belongs to thepiratebay).

You could use ItsHidden VPN service for free but it disconnects once a 20minutes unless you get a paid account.

you can also try some of these:
relakss
cryptocloud
torrentfreedom
HideMyAss
BolehVPN
CyberGhost
PacketiX

Ricardo1000
04-19-2010, 09:39 PM
I would like to mention that there are many more VPN providers. The best list I found is **************. I personnally use www.YourPrivateVPN.com. If you pay by Ukash, they don't have any data of your identity.

c0ld
04-20-2010, 12:18 PM
I would like to mention that there are many more VPN providers. The best list I found is **************. I personnally use www.YourPrivateVPN.com. If you pay by Ukash, they don't have any data of your identity.

The price some of these places charge.. you might as well get a VPS and set up your own VPN.

JEY
05-17-2012, 11:30 AM
I recommend use Hideman software (http://hideman.net)
Fast speed. They not have limits on traffic and easy use. Cheap price and free 4 hour in week:cool:

JEY
05-21-2012, 06:34 AM
Activation code on 1week for Hideman VPN software

9UGMU-QYL2W-11W89-B4TGH-GEKAY
Say thanks me :rolleyes:

sandman_1
05-22-2012, 02:32 PM
Activation code on 1week for Hideman VPN software

9UGMU-QYL2W-11W89-B4TGH-GEKAY
Say thanks me :rolleyes:

Way to resurrect a 2 year old thread. Congrats! :wacko: