PDA

View Full Version : anti rape device

devilsadvocate
04-12-2010, 06:28 PM
I can see many drawbacks and potential abuses, but I like the basic idea for which it is intended.

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/study-abroad/100326/south-africa-rape-axe

So could it lead to more problems than it solves? Could it put the female victim in more physical danger?

If only it would render the rapist impotent without medical treatment.

Rart
04-13-2010, 01:31 AM
“But if a guy is raping you, and there’s five other guys waiting to take their turn … do you think he’s going to take that well? They’re going to mutilate that woman. It’s just a provocation.”

Exactly what I was thinking.

When you're being raped, you aren't exactly in an advantageous position. Even if there's only one person, you are going to seriously piss them the fuck off. It'll cause far more trouble and violence than it's worth. It will lead to more problems than it can solve.

Of course, it could also be used as a very, very, cruel joke that leads to awkward stares as you go to the hospital.

megabyteme
04-13-2010, 05:50 AM
While it seems like poetic justice, the nswers to social problems are rarely, if ever, technology based. Social changes are necessary. The conviction rate needs to increase and rape should not be acceptable to either side in the ong1oing war. Truly a sad situation all around.

devilsadvocate
04-13-2010, 01:15 PM
It seems we share many concerns, which is kind of sad to be honest.

It's sad that we live in a world where we have to submit to limit damage. In this case the woman would still have to be penetrated for the device to work, and it could lead to violence beyond the rape. Not that there isn't violence before or after. The woman would have to wear a device in "all possible points of entry" as well or there could be an increase in anal rape.

Do you lock your car and have an alarm, or do you leave it unlocked in the hope the thief doesn't damage it? (not suggesting it's anywhere near a close comparison)

I still like the poetic justice part. I believe in fighting back if one can.

It comes down to the woman's choice. Accept being raped and just hope to survive or fight back.

megabyteme
04-14-2010, 05:32 AM
I am all for fighting back. However, the battle grounds needs to be in the communities- women's groups, police/neighborhood watch, enforcement of laws, imprisonment. Technology can only do so much. It still fails to solve any long-term problems.

Fight back, by all means, but choose the grounds wisely.

Skiz
04-14-2010, 05:59 AM
I just can't take this very seriously.

It says that the device wouldn't go so deep as to draw blood, so I'd have a tough time buying it would need to be "surgically removed". If it's just stuck on there, surely some careful scissors use would get it off.

Also, what if the fellow is too large to get caught in the device and simply drives it deep inside, causing who knows what sort of damage?

j2k4
04-15-2010, 12:58 AM
Well, then.

Perhaps a woman could just decorate herself with a decal warning "Abandon Hope, All Ye Who Enter Here" and hope for the best, as the genuine article might net her an assault charge.

devilsadvocate
04-15-2010, 01:19 PM
as the genuine article might net her an assault charge.

Could you clarify ? Do you think she may get prosecuted under the law or are you talking about extra violence against her?

darkstate01
04-15-2010, 03:48 PM
Prosecute in south Africa,that's a good 1, some cars in south Africa have under the drivers side, A flame thrower to deter car jacker's, Basically you try and rob a bmw at the traffic lights, then the next thing you know, you are sinders on the ground blown away with the wind.
So some lady having some large cocked African having his bell end torn up by the rape-axe is not going to goto the courts i think, can you imagine the rapist in the court room being questioned. So sir could you tell the court what happened ,Well its like this you honour......... fill in the dots for yourself. Bring on the rape-axe i say, If you're not meant to be in there, let the consequences be paid by length of your, well you get the picture i'm sure.

j2k4
04-15-2010, 07:15 PM
as the genuine article might net her an assault charge.

Could you clarify ? Do you think she may get prosecuted under the law or are you talking about extra violence against her?

That.

devilsadvocate
04-15-2010, 08:26 PM

That.

I can see how the device could be abused for revenge in a bad relationship as an example, I don't see how a charge of assault could arise from the device snaring a rapist.
Not here at least.

My concerns are that the already violent rapist may become a violent murderer as well.

devilsadvocate
04-15-2010, 08:41 PM
I just can't take this very seriously.

It says that the device wouldn't go so deep as to draw blood, so I'd have a tough time buying it would need to be "surgically removed". If it's just stuck on there, surely some careful scissors use would get it off.

Also, what if the fellow is too large to get caught in the device and simply drives it deep inside, causing who knows what sort of damage?

On your first only knowing the basic mechanics of it I assume it has been designed with that in mind. A bullet can be taken out at home, wouldn't recommend it mind you.

On your second, looking at the picture
http://www.globalpost.com/sites/default/files/photos/19/SCC%20WARTIME%20RAPE%20rapeaxe%281%29.jpg

it would appear that the "teeth" would catch on contact. The video shows how it works. (only saw it because I turned scriptblock off temporarily)

I have to admit If this was reported 10 days earlier I would have suspected it was an April fools joke