PDA

View Full Version : GRUB loader to Windows Boot loader?

Gman_Link
04-14-2010, 03:09 AM
The terminology may be incorrect, but I hope it describes the "problem" that I have.
A few weeks ago, I installed Linux via boot CD. Instead of the Windows Boot loader that pops up at the beginning of a startup (this is what happened when I used wubi), the GRUB loader appears.

I like the simplicity of the Windows Boot Loader better than the GRUB loader. However, I'm at a loss at how I can change the GRUB loader to the Windows loader.

Any suggestions?

v47
04-19-2010, 11:03 AM
try this:
http://port25.technet.com/archive/2006/10/13/Using-Vista_2700_s-Boot-Manager-to-Boot-Linux-and-Dual-Booting-with-BitLocker-Protection-with-TPM-Support.aspx

though it might not be worth the effort...
what's wrong with GRUB?

Gman_Link
04-20-2010, 12:25 AM
Well, it's just that GRUB isn't very user friendly.
I personally like the Windows boot, because of it's simplicity.
"Windows, Ubuntu"

Whereas in GRUB I have all these other partitions that I didn't even know that I had.

Also, one annoying thing that I have with GRUB is that I can't turn on my laptop and expect it to boot Windows. I like to press the power button and leave the pc idle for a couple of minutes.

So I prefer to have it boot up windows rather than linux.

v47
04-20-2010, 03:17 PM
You can fix the second issue if you're up to manually editing GRUB's configuration file.Then it can boot into windows by default.
See this:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=75038

Gman_Link
04-21-2010, 03:34 AM
Thanks!

Expeto
04-25-2010, 02:14 PM
if you are XP, insert the WinXP setup CD, start rescue mode,
type fixmbr, and windows boot loader reborns, but you still have to add your ubuntu to your winloader for it to work.

Gman_Link
04-25-2010, 10:43 PM
I have Windows 7.
I just fixed it using EasyBCD but now I can't even start up my linux partition, or even find it for that matter.
Easy BCD says that I have it in my partition, but I can't find the root/ubuntu file anywhere in my C drive.

I'm planning on using a Ubuntu CD boot to somehow get linux up and running again. I don't want to use Wubi because it doesn't detect a linux partition. In addition, it might add another Linux partition slot to my boot menu. ALthough I suppose I could always remove it using EasyBCD