PDA

View Full Version : Help Problem

foot loose
10-26-2003, 10:49 PM
Right i have a 6gig hdrive i deleted everything off of it. Every file/program and hidden file has been deleted by me. now the problem is that the computer still tells me that i have 1.5gig of used space and 4.5 gig of free space. so i tryed 2 format the drive with in windows (i have 2 drives and the 6 gig is the master and i have a 20 gig as a slave, i can't be bothered 2 change them around) and it get 99% thought the format and then it says format cannot b completed.... :angry:

som 1 tell me y ....... i just want 2 format the 6gig drive!!@#@$^T$^

boyzeee
10-26-2003, 10:54 PM
if you running xp turn off system restore for the drive also right click on recycle bin and click properties and turn off the bin for that drive to. that should free up the drive. ;)

callum
10-26-2003, 11:08 PM
You could also check to see if your page file is set for that drive.

And if that dosen't work try a program called sequoiaview, ti gives a visual representation of everything on your drive.

http://www.win.tue.nl/sequoiaview/

boyzeee
10-26-2003, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by callum@26 October 2003 - 23:08
You could also check to see if your page file is set for that drive.

And if that dosen't work try a program called sequoiaview, ti gives a visual representation of everything on your drive.

http://www.win.tue.nl/sequoiaview/
well put ;)

Virtualbody1234
10-26-2003, 11:43 PM
Sequoiaview

That's a cool program.

foot loose
10-26-2003, 11:52 PM
thanks 4 da responses but there is still a problem

boyzeee i did wat u said and my pc wernt havin it (it didnt work)
so i started my computer up in boot up mode(dos mode) and i ran da format c: command. everything was workin fine the da computer said

System partions is not allowed to be formated

so i try out sequoiaview (nice program callum ;) ) and it said that there was a sys file (c:\pagefile.sys) 576mb and a hiberfil.sys 384mb still on the c: drive. so i typed in my browerser c:\pagefile.sys and my pc said if u mess wit these files your pc might not work (im running xp off of my d: so nothing will happen 2 my pc) now the pc tells me what program do i want 2 open :\pagefile.sys with :blink: :blink:

i want these file off of my pc NOW :angry:

callum
10-26-2003, 11:57 PM
You need to keep the pagefile, but you can move it to your other drive.
Go to control panel, performance and maintenance,system,advanced,performance settings,advanced.
Then in the virtual memory section select set then remove the pagefile from the drive and set it on your other drive.

And the other file.

During hibernation, all devices are powered off, and the system’s physical memory is written to disk in the system hibernation file, \Hiberfil.sys.

You'll need to turn off the "Enable Hibernate" by going to:
Start->Settings->Control Panel->Power Options and then select the "Hibernate" Tab and De-Select the "Enable Hibernation" check box.

After you do this WinXP will delete the hiberfil.sys file next time you re-boot

foot loose
10-27-2003, 12:52 AM
callum did wat u said and there is still 1.1gig taken up wit sys and hibfil

these files r on my c: im running xp off my d:
now i went 2 virtual memory and it said that threre is a page file set on my d: but there is not 1 set on my c:

also i turned off hibernate and it freed up 384mb on my d: but the hiberfil.sys was still on my c: when i rebooted

also when i used SequoiaView there is around 100 mb taken up by c:\recyclers

watttttt is goin on :angry: :angry:

callum
10-27-2003, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by foot loose@26 October 2003 - 23:52
c:\recyclers

That's your recycle bin.

Smith
10-27-2003, 01:03 AM
so i tryed 2 format the drive with in windows

u didnt do a total format?

if you didnt you need to make your comp restart in dos. then format. that will remove everything. then just reinstall xp :D

boyzeee
10-27-2003, 01:15 AM
seagates discwizard will format and partition any drive download it free HERE (http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/download/discwizard2003_en.exe)

edit... you need to turn off the pagefile, recycle bin and restore for the drive you wanna format before you do use the software, otherwise as soon as you reboot it windows will just re-allocate them to the drive, it may do it anyway coz xp thinks it is cleverer than us! if so just format with discwizard and then turn off the bin etc after reboot ;)

Livy
10-27-2003, 03:39 PM
why not reformat the whole thing, put xp on your smaller 6gig master drive. and have the 20gig as your backup drive. and download all your things on the 20gig drive, thats how i have my other pc setup, 2k on small 4gig drive, and 80gig slave drive.