PDA

View Full Version : Is the invite section dead?

IdolEyes787
04-19-2010, 12:33 PM
Just wondering if anyone has the same perception, as it seems to be that lately most anyone giving anything away are traders insincerely doling out a few "low levels" simply to build their rep points.Which btw really pisses me off that said idiots are willing to give just as long as it's of no perceived value to them.
Actually it's a bit like that with normal requesters too - give out a few trinkets in an attempt to look like a "good" person and when everyone is adequately softened up then hit them with the big request .

Anyway have things progressed in bt world that anyone "repectable " will have nothing to do with that section and is the whole thing now degenerated to be basically little better than a sham?

And does it matter?

anon
04-19-2010, 01:05 PM
Is the invite section dead?

You said it yourself - look at the number of "low-level" giveaways :O

I wonder how many of the people that apply on those bother to keep their accounts alive afterwards.

Cabalo
04-19-2010, 03:18 PM
Depends on the point of view.
Maybe not so many of our members are noobs in BT after all and have been around.

IdolEyes787
04-19-2010, 03:37 PM
I don't dispute that but it's strange since FST is by far the most searched forum of this type.
I mean how come very few real noobs then or is everyone so interconnected now that they all get the "easy' ones from acquaintances and only end up coming here in search of the elusive and imaginary l33tness?
Also very very few people actually try to communicate anything on this forum which if they are in fact "experienced" and are apparently taking the time to even bother still coming here would seem like a reasonable thing to do.

Cabalo
04-19-2010, 04:44 PM
Well, last time I was on slyck, which is a somewhat similar forum to this one, activity wasn't much higher either.
The golden age of interesting trackers showing up has cooled down.

IdolEyes787
04-19-2010, 04:56 PM
So it's indicative of the times and not specific to any board then?
Personally I think it has more to do this the quality of people asking than the quality of the trackers they are asking for.

ca_aok
04-20-2010, 05:19 PM
I'd say the above is true. I did help two requesters recently though so there are definitely still a few decent folks out there, they're just few and far between.

I think a lot of it is the requests are either for sites that will almost certainly never be filled, or are made by people who are traders, have the min post count to access the section, etc.

The whole "Low level" situation you're describing is only perpetuated by the traders and the WTAW list. Not much can be done about the fact that some invites are seen as fodder and others are seen as currency.

Rart
04-21-2010, 05:27 AM
I don't think it's in any way indicative of the "times" we're in at the moment: those high level "leet" trackers have always been there, and from a quick glance in the invites/trade section it's quite easy to garner that people are still actively seeking to gain access to those sites.

I think, mainly, it ends up circling back to the idea purported by invite forums/sites: That higher reps and frequent giveaways equate to a more reputable member "worthy" of invites to higher level sites.

Unbeknown to most of them however, most of these trackers and the members of FST actually look down upon and discourage reckless, public giveaways and realize that the rampant giveaway of invites, in fact, does not equate to a better member. Unable to understand quite why they aren't being invited to their favorite sites, they simply give away more invites to try to become an even more "reputable" member, only making themselves look worse.

This cycle just builds upon itself and is self destructing in nature. Unless the prevailing viewpoints of many of these users are completely changed, I don't see how the invite section could ever be utilized to it's full extent.

ca_aok
04-21-2010, 04:45 PM
Unbeknown to most of them however, most of these trackers and the members of FST actually look down upon and discourage reckless, public giveaways and realize that the rampant giveaway of invites, in fact, does not equate to a better member. Unable to understand quite why they aren't being invited to their favorite sites, they simply give away more invites to try to become an even more "reputable" member, only making themselves look worse.
This. As soon as I see rep points (unless it's 1 or 2) I instantly distrust the person. It either means they've been giving invites away to every idiot who wants them, or they're a trader. And since there's really no system in place to link rep points to the action that they were repped for, I'm always skeptical when I see reps with no comments, or simple "thanks", etc. I know several traders do it only via PM and so I worry that this is the case here.

And since it's really the traders that use the system to know who they can trust, it makes me distrust rep points even further. I'm much more inclined to give someone an invite if they have a genuine interest rather than a bunch of green bars under their name.

cinephilia
04-25-2010, 02:03 PM
i'd say that our nasty comments scare them away :P

IdolEyes787
04-25-2010, 05:01 PM
Unbeknown to most of them however, most of these trackers and the members of FST actually look down upon and discourage reckless, public giveaways and realize that the rampant giveaway of invites, in fact, does not equate to a better member. Unable to understand quite why they aren't being invited to their favorite sites, they simply give away more invites to try to become an even more "reputable" member, only making themselves look worse.This. As soon as I see rep points (unless it's 1 or 2) I instantly distrust the person. It either means they've been giving invites away to every idiot who wants them, or they're a trader.

I've got something like 15 rep points but only a couple for actually giving anything away and that was from when I first joined here and assumed( probably like most people new to the site do) "the way forward "was with lot a of rep points.
Since then I've hidden them and actually resorted to actively telling people not to rep me for any reason ( since it truly doesn't represent anything positive) but nonetheless they still seem to accumulate.

Probably get a couple more just for posting this. :pinch:

Tv Controls you
04-26-2010, 01:33 AM
Everyone here is completely over analyzing everything conducted in the BT invite section.

IdolEyes787
04-26-2010, 02:33 AM
http://halfdone.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/the-thinker-colors.gifhttp://farm2.static.flickr.com/1357/751743631_9a84ebe9af.jpg

Artemis
04-26-2010, 12:28 PM
As soon as I see rep points (unless it's 1 or 2) I instantly distrust the person. It either means they've been giving invites away to every idiot who wants them, or they're a trader. And since there's really no system in place to link rep points to the action that they were repped for, I'm always skeptical when I see reps with no comments, or simple "thanks", etc. I know several traders do it only via PM and so I worry that this is the case here.

You forgot 'great man'

In general though, the tone of those requesting seems far more insincere. People used to take the time to explain about why they actually wanted the tracker rather than [req]****** hook me up bro . I've also noticed a fair few traders in there trying to drum up free invites to then giveaway for rep points or for trading currency (after buffering ofc).
This general insincerity doesn't really endear me, or particularly motivate me to help them out, and I think I am not alone in feeling that way.

sear
04-26-2010, 01:47 PM
There's still trading but imo in recent years there's been a lot of 'private' trading forums opening which I guess once you've made a trade with someone on one then it wouldn't be hard to get invited to. Just like with non-traders once you've been around a bit it's not hard to find yourself invited to more private places and I would assume that the more private the trading forum the less likely you are to be baited and caught by staffers. That's just my wild speculation but I think it's probably not too far off the mark.

The_Martinator
04-26-2010, 04:28 PM
What about getting into sites via IRC interviews? When I started torrenting there wasn't such an option to join trackers. Now more and more trackers are doing it.

anon
04-26-2010, 05:05 PM
What about getting into sites via IRC interviews?

Sadly, that's too much work for some.

ca_aok
04-27-2010, 02:06 PM
Since then I've hidden them and actually resorted to actively telling people not to rep me for any reason ( since it truly doesn't represent anything positive) but nonetheless they still seem to accumulate.

Probably get a couple more just for posting this. :pinch:
Trader :whistling

Sadly, that's too much work for some.
So is writing more than 5 words in a request it seems :lol:

anon
04-27-2010, 06:38 PM
So is writing more than 5 words in a request it seems :lol:

Or even reading the full first post to know that's required :unsure: