PDA

View Full Version : Tracker/Site Startup

TheVoidz
04-19-2010, 11:27 PM
Hello FileSharingTalk,

We are starting a new tracker website. It has been completely written from the ground up. (It does not use the TBDev codebase) We are looking for staff members to; start the community, help decide on policies, decide the way the site will become available to other users(invites, open sign-up, etc..), moderators for the forums and website, content uploaders, etc.

We have a need for someone with experience in cascading style sheets to work on different skins for the website. We have a default one, but would like to offer more to our users, and do not want to tax our main programmer that designed the default skin.

We are looking for maybe 5-6 people with the skills and abilities we have listed. If you are interested please PM me with any relevant information and I maybe be able to give you more information on our website.

Night0wl
04-19-2010, 11:43 PM
You didn't really think this through, did you? First of all noone can PM you until you have PM capabilities.

Quarterquack
04-20-2010, 12:34 AM
Nobody can pm you unless you hit 20 posts, and (I think) 15-20 days of account lifetime longevity.

Provide people with another way to contact you, or you're forced to wait. If you were to ask for my opinion, just set up a quick gmail address, and you're off.

TheVoidz
04-20-2010, 12:36 AM
Yeah, did not see that. Anyways, if you are interested you can leave a reply in this thread.

backie
04-20-2010, 12:38 AM
Please prove you have a from the ground up tracker.

Gman_Link
04-20-2010, 01:09 AM
One question that I have with these trackers.
What actually goes in their creation?
Don't you need a top-notch "server" computer so that you can handle any of the website processes, in addition to a large hard drive, possibly about a couple of Terabytes, maybe even more, for the torrents themselves.

For the "ground up" tracker, have you worked out all the kinks? I haven't tried any specific website programming languages, but that doesn't necessarily mean that you can check them by running some sort of tests.

ca_aok
04-20-2010, 01:33 AM
Unless you have a pretty big torrent site the hard drives don't need to be TBs big.

I assume by "from the ground up" he's talking about the php frontend rather than the tracker itself. And I'd assume further they just took one of the more obscure codebases and modified it :P

Re: The above, cutting it down to super basics, you need a tracker, a database, and a php frontend for the site, running on a server.

Quarterquack
04-20-2010, 01:36 AM
Don't you need a top-notch "server" computer so that you can handle any of the website processes, in addition to a large hard drive, possibly about a couple of Terabytes, maybe even more, for the torrents themselves.

Not necessarily a top notch computer, I know quite a few "good" trackers, that run on less than a fraction of what some people's seedboxes cost. You have to account for the server costs, since a better server will logically cost more.*

Besides those costs there's other kinds of costs that come into play. It's not everyday that you find coders that are willing to be benevolent and help outright at no cost, especially at something so insecure. Some times the coders will want an initial "cut", so will the designers.

Again, you have to find a source for material. It's all the rave now to have trackers with an auto-upload bot, but I only know one person who knows enough PHP to code a release drop bot (egg drop, egg bomb, or whatever, I'm no coder). What even complicates things, is paying for topsite access, if you want the most recent releases, or gathering enough competent uploaders with their own sources if you're creating a dedicated tracker.

Some of the most important things that make a tracker are usually taken for granted.

For the "ground up" tracker, have you worked out all the kinks? I haven't tried any specific website programming languages, but that doesn't necessarily mean that you can check them by running some sort of tests.

I'm sure that if he knows what he's doing, he'll have a beta test stage, 30-40 people hammering the server as much as they can before the final release.

________

* - A better explanation, food for thought, if you may:

Trackers can always offer less services to the end user in order to minimize server load, and be able to rent out a cheaper server, while other trackers take it upon themselves to even hire a guy in the data center to help them out specifically, due to the nature of the content provided/material on the servers.

It all comes down to how secure you want to be, and how well/how many services you'll be providing to the end user. Remember that everything a tracker does, it has to account for, from all the different incoming connections, to the routing of the tracker side of things itself, to SSL connections if the staff want to offer it, etc. It's not always a clear cut decision of "Oh, that server looks fine to me."

backie
04-20-2010, 01:52 AM

Average tracker it goes.

1 ) Planning -> figure out what's what. Start of any life cycle.
2 ) Prep Tracker Codebase -> since most trackers run either gazelle or tbdev. Word is TBDev needs hell of alot of work to make it anywhere near secure, as it's meant to be a SQL injection playground. And from looking at the code I can believe that. Then there's the modifications everyone wants imdb/tvrage/etc scrapping, bonus system, invite app system you know all the cool stuff. This part takes ages.
3 ) Test -> It's nearly impossible to write code free software, so you need to test the shit out of it with a good error logging system. (Because hardly anyone actually reports bugs.)
4 ) Secure uploader -> Either get someone willing to do it by hand or just get an auto upload like all the cool kids.
5 ) Try and look cool

Knowing me I most likely left something out.

pro267
04-20-2010, 01:52 AM
We are looking for maybe 5-6 people with the skills and abilities we have listed. If you are interested please PM me with any relevant information and I maybe be able to give you more information on our website.
May I ask who exactly are the "we" you were referring to, and what experience do you and your current staff have in coding/staffing a tracker?

If you want a piece of advice from someone who have been around a bit and knows the sort of people who roam these forums, you would be better off looking for staffers and especially people who are proficient in coding/styling a tracker elsewhere. There is simply no way of knowing who you'll get here, and you may end up with far worse problems than have only a single stylesheet.

Good luck!

p.s.: just out of pure curiosity, why have you chosen to write a tracker from the grounds up and not use the tbdev/gazelle templates? Which programming languages have you used to do so?

PancakeWaffles
04-20-2010, 04:10 AM
I may be able to help, just one question though what will the content of the tracker be? If it's just another 0day I have little interest if it has a unique idea behind it I would be more willing to help.

TheVoidz
04-20-2010, 04:20 PM
Lots of questions to answer. In no particular order;

Please prove you have a from the ground up tracker. Well, it's kind of hard to prove without showing you the code, and for the time being we want to keep it closed.

Don't you need a top-notch "server" computer so that you can handle any of the website processes, in addition to a large hard drive, possibly about a couple of Terabytes, maybe even more, for the torrents themselves.Not really, trackers just allow users to communicate between each other. The data transferred is minimal. Lots of memory is more valuable because you want to keep your seed/peer list in a binary tree. Or some other kind of fast access data structure.

just out of pure curiosity, why have you chosen to write a tracker from the grounds up and not use the tbdev/gazelle templates? Which programming languages have you used to do so? We decided to write everything from the ground up because we were not pleased with the codebase that tbdev or gazelle offered. We also wanted a more object oriented approach, making it much easier to add new features, etc.

We have opted to use a PHP frontend powered by 2 levels of caching (local, and memcached). With the ability to use an abstract database technology, we currently run on Oracle. Our tracker is written with C with Non-blocking I/O.

If you want a piece of advice from someone who have been around a bit and knows the sort of people who roam these forums, you would be better off looking for staffers and especially people who are proficient in coding/styling a tracker elsewhere.Logistics is more of a concern to us at the moment then programming. We have a decent stylesheet and 2 programmers that have been working on the software for a little while now. We are mostly looking for people who can contribute to the growth of the website (seeders, etc..) and suggest new features.

May I ask who exactly are the "we" you were referring to, and what experience do you and your current staff have in coding/staffing a tracker?We have 2 programmers working on the website. At the moment the website and tracker are completely functional. The programming aspect we have a lot of experience in, staffing the site is the hole we are looking to fill.

And I'd assume further they just took one of the more obscure codebases and modified it.No, the complete codebase was written from scratch.

I may be able to help, just one question though what will the content of the tracker be? If it's just another 0day I have little interest if it has a unique idea behind it I would be more willing to help.Right, we are looking for people to come up with some creative ideas to make the site unique, which our programmers will implement.

Lucas_kane
04-20-2010, 09:53 PM
and what the name of the tracker will be ??

Quarterquack
04-21-2010, 12:38 AM
If you want short-term help, as in start-up help, how to go about it, ideas, what to do, connections to certain people (with certain skills) you might need, what works and what doesn't in the torrent world etc. I'd be more than willing to help you. You have to know, though, I'm code-blind (doctors continue to tell me that I won't always be this way), so don't expect me to know what's possible or not right off the bat based from the code you've written.

Again, I'll echo my last message here. Provide me a different way of communicating with you. I'm not going to start talking about tracker start-ups on a public forum.

TheVoidz
04-21-2010, 04:22 AM
Sure you can email me, thevoidz AT live DOT com

anoneemuse
04-21-2010, 08:30 AM
if its gazelle .. stoi wrote it ... yea yea yea yea

BobFromAccounting
04-21-2010, 02:12 PM
Recruiting staff on a public forum, that's going to turn out well >.<

Tokeman
04-21-2010, 02:54 PM
I may be able to help, just one question though what will the content of the tracker be? If it's just another 0day I have little interest if it has a unique idea behind it I would be more willing to help.Right, we are looking for people to come up with some creative ideas to make the site unique, which our programmers will implement.

So you've gone through all this trouble to create a new tracker, but have no idea what purpose (content) it will have?
That makes sense :blink:

TheVoidz
04-22-2010, 05:21 PM
Right, we are looking for people to come up with some creative ideas to make the site unique, which our programmers will implement.

So you've gone through all this trouble to create a new tracker, but have no idea what purpose (content) it will have?
That makes sense :blink:
We have a general idea. We just are looking for people who are more familiar with private trackers in general.

TheVoidz
04-28-2010, 05:27 PM
Still looking for some people.

tutipute
04-29-2010, 08:10 PM
I'm a fan of new initiatives and ideas, you can pm me (can you?) if you want and i'd be happy to listen and maybe throw a hand.

Good luck! ;)

John1988
04-29-2010, 08:43 PM
hehe
hai tuti :P

TheVoidz
05-05-2010, 01:12 AM
I'm a fan of new initiatives and ideas, you can pm me (can you?) if you want and i'd be happy to listen and maybe throw a hand.

Good luck! ;)

I can't PM you, but you can email me at [email protected]

hxck
05-05-2010, 01:41 AM
Please don't let it be 0day, Please don't let it be 0day, Please don't let it be 0day...

awaited
05-05-2010, 01:55 AM
Make sure you read this (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-bittorrent-43/t-what-makes-a-private-tracker-popular-410172) before deciding the policies.

t00z
05-05-2010, 12:58 PM
So what kind of tracker will this be?

TheVoidz
05-08-2010, 06:26 PM
My plan was to make it a hybrid public / private site.

dandraesley
05-09-2010, 01:49 AM
My plan was to make it a hybrid public / private site.

So It'll work and operate like demonoid. Good, that's better. Better than just another l33t 0day/scene tracker.

And don't forget to add us FST-ers as credits. :lol:

Just kidding.

TheVoidz
06-15-2010, 07:10 AM
I am still looking for anyone interested in this.

The site is mostly done, needs the forums to be completed and rules for the tracker, etc..

t00z
06-15-2010, 11:02 PM
Got any screenshots or other teasers for us?

TheVoidz
06-16-2010, 05:05 AM
Yeah, let me get some screenshots for you guys. I am sure I can do that.

TheVoidz
06-16-2010, 05:29 PM
Some example pages;

Stuff that isn't finished yet;

News management
User registration (invites or open?)
Front page stats
Forums

Big stuff that's done;

Torrent uploading and indexing
Searching torrents
Auto-seeding of popular torrents
User management systems (site and tracker)

And like I said, this is built completely from scratch.

Quarterquack
06-16-2010, 05:49 PM
The tracker name is too "hip", if that's even possible. :P

t00z
06-16-2010, 06:04 PM
we ballin'

wut?

---

The site reminds me of PTM. I hope it's not going to be the same in terms of content though: too many sites for that already. How will the mixed private / public work btw?

Quarterquack
06-16-2010, 06:05 PM
Not as bad as the guy that wanted to start a tracker up with "Exi.st", to be honest.

Untouchable
06-16-2010, 06:10 PM
^ That's right

TheVoidz
06-16-2010, 06:15 PM
No name has been decided upon, it was just a free domain I had available.

th0r
06-17-2010, 12:41 AM
i'm creating my own tracker, areyouserio.us

who wants to join me/?

TheVoidz
06-17-2010, 04:19 AM
email me;

thevoidz AT live DOT com

Glitterstep
06-17-2010, 03:04 PM
Is it a music tracker?

EDIT-Just checked the screens,Pulp Fiction.

Is it a movie tracker ?

MiNiMAL
06-17-2010, 03:46 PM
I hope they make a great tracker ! :)