PDA

View Full Version : What constitues a "good" game?

Gman_Link
04-20-2010, 01:14 AM
Of course I'm being very general here, but that was intentional.
In whatever genre you find of interest, what characteristics make it a "good" game?

In my opinion, RPGs are getting better and better with the utilization of the Next Gen. Consoles.
Better graphics and awesome gameplay.
For example, Final Fantasy XIII.
I'm ashamed to admit that I haven't played it, nor do I own a Next Gen. Console, but my desire to play the game is strong.
Square Enix surprises me with their amazing orchestral scores, theories of gameplay, storyline (although it's starting to get a bit old. A trend of trite, cliched stories.), and that strong urge to play the game despite how many times you die or fail at the game.

Ikki
04-22-2010, 08:06 AM
For me.. Storyline or plot comes first, closely followed by graphics and the AI.. Of course.. I'm meaning for FPS..

The terrains are important too.. The challenge provided by the game.. and also the reward gained at the end.. You don't want to be playing a game, only to be rewarded by just a "congratulations.. you completed the game'..

Gameplay and controls are important.

Finally.. The most important one.. The element that makes you play the game till the end.. the one that keeps you going..

Gman_Link
04-25-2010, 11:12 PM
Borderlands completes most of those conditions, only it wasn't made for graphics, just for tons of gameplay.
Though it does get repetitive, seeing the same enemy and shooting their heads off.

Iundk
04-26-2010, 01:08 AM
*Innovative* gameplay, an good storyline, and good graphics in my opinion

Gman_Link
04-26-2010, 01:54 AM
It's hard to "innovate" gameplay when there isn't much to innovate.
Then again, that's at some point in the far future.

Jej
04-27-2010, 08:51 AM
graphics and storyline are less important than the gameplay imo

Gman_Link
04-27-2010, 10:26 PM
Mm... Yeaah.. Not really..

If I played a shooter with graphics like Doom 1, I'd shoot myself unless the game was really good (as in super awesome storyline and game play).

The storyline at least should be somewhat interesting. I've heard that Borderlands has an awful storyline but the gameplay is addicting and awesome. The same with the graphics, assuming you put it on turbo. :x

1000possibleclaws
04-28-2010, 06:50 AM
How fun it is. How much it makes me want to keep playing.

Gman_Link
04-28-2010, 07:46 AM
i.e. World of Warcraft.

The_Martinator
04-28-2010, 08:57 AM
The game shouldn't be too easy, there has to be some challenge to it. It shouldn't be too long, cause you should have a life outside it. It should end eventually, cause MMORPGs are for geeks. It should still be fun, despite all being said. A good story doesn't hurt but isn't necessary. Graphics used to be important, but today no game looks bad anymore imo, in the olden days you had to have a vivid imagination to see shapes where big pixels were.

mr. nails
04-28-2010, 10:19 PM
cause MMORPGs are for geeks.

and this geek would wtfpwn u everything from pac-man to WoW to CoD. ready?

Gman_Link
04-29-2010, 03:00 AM
Basically, the game really should have a great gameplay, if I can say that.

iLOVENZB
04-29-2010, 06:27 AM
I don't know why I enjoyed Deus Ex: Island of Liberty. Possible because of the storyline (and epic twist at the end), and Gameplay.

I've played games that look as if the Graphic designer used 8bit sprites but I still enjoyed it, thus Graphics aren't a major concern to me (within reason).

I also love games with Easter eggs, nothing more exciting than finding an Easter egg without guides.

I hate games with confusing UI's, I found FF franchise confusing to play, too much going on and I have to read heaps :lol:.

rabie1981
04-29-2010, 04:32 PM
innovate

damanryechea
05-08-2010, 07:04 PM
regardless of genre. it is the replay value

Que
05-09-2010, 07:55 AM
The only reason why I found a game good is if I think it's fun, so graphic and game genre doesnt really matter.
As simple as that :)

roseberg31
05-11-2010, 09:50 AM
The Game play is the most important thing for me, but i do enjoy games with a good plot and graphics. Also when they make a sequel to a game they enhance it in some way not just leaving it the same just different story.

genesis123x
05-18-2010, 04:53 AM
The surprise element.. like the game can you make think about what you have known before.. and how much it is different here (plot)..

tsiparamai
05-21-2010, 08:35 AM
To me, a good game is
1) A good story
2) Multiplayer (co-op and vs)
3) Multiple difficulties
4) Semi-linear story (full open can be annoying as can full linear)
5) Customizable controls
6) Smart AI

Graphics don't mean much to me, I just have to be able to tell what is what (There are some 8-bit games that still kick ass)

pone44
05-21-2010, 05:30 PM
Great post :spam:

World of Warcraft.

Powared
05-22-2010, 01:39 PM
a good game for me is a good multiplayer system ;)

xripper
05-31-2010, 07:57 AM
I think that today most of the games have good graphics but they lag in a most important thing i.e. physics. Yeah, remember all the cool moves u do, break the objects, or kill the AI, physics is wat makes it interesting. Moreover the level design & the plot should also be cool enough to make u play till the end or else u get hooked up in a level & accuse the game.
For a game in short, the most important things r-
Plot, physics, gameplay, & controls.
If a game lacks the above take the game flash it in ur toilet. Thats how u treat a bad game :cool:

Evelyn
06-02-2010, 10:50 PM
if someone have attended GDC this year .. the TOP priority is gameplay, People love road-rash still with that ugly graphics & pple hate Halo 3 - good visual quality but same boring gameplay.

PowerWheels
06-03-2010, 09:07 PM
good graphics, gameplay and story

Morfeus
06-10-2010, 10:36 PM
1st- Gameplay
2nd - story
3rd Graphics

RedDev1l
06-20-2010, 10:34 PM
1) A good story
2) Gameplay
3) Multiplayer
4) Graphics

Reekk
07-30-2010, 11:55 AM
Give me a good "can't stop playing, must see what happens next" story and I will play it (almost) regardless of anything else :)

7th
07-30-2010, 12:32 PM
Good graphic + good gameplay will make me play a lot of games. What will make me want to continue playing after the third hour is, definitely, the story. And if the story is great, I'll play it to see how it ends.

Melchior00
10-23-2010, 03:01 AM
1st. Game play : you can enjoy a game with no story.. just need a minimal context -> sport games. after all, that the essence of gaming.. you input commands from your gamepad..
2st. Overall design : Shadow of colossus is a good example for that matter. deep and original environment yet, with a minimal story
3st. Story : put flesh on the bones and you may get a good game out of something technically limited. => any jap old school rpgs..

dirizabl
10-24-2010, 06:36 PM
Gameplay is the most important segment of a game, for me. If game is having a good concept, I will play it and support it, no matter for graphics and sound.

LtAda
10-24-2010, 08:11 PM
Good multiplayer
Good controls
Good graphics
Addicting concept

imran4
03-05-2011, 07:17 AM
Hi to all.
I am new here. In my opinion, for a good game. Graphic wise should be on the top.
When playing, our interest should be develop in it.

anon
03-05-2011, 04:28 PM
In my opinion, for a good game. Graphic wise should be on the top.

No, it shouldn't.

This "shit" has kept me entertained for years:

http://image.bayimg.com/daeeoaade.jpg

IdolEyes787
03-05-2011, 04:51 PM
I think I mentioned it several pages back but nudity and foul language is always a big plus.
Barring that guns and swords hopefully involving the decapitation of the living dead or the pinnacle of videogame achievement the gunsword (gunblade) like the one Squall had in FF something or other.

I don't think any amount of plot or workable controls or "graphical enhancement " is ever gong to be able to top that. Might just as well stop making new ones right now in my opinion.