PDA

View Full Version : VPNs and File Sharing ?

Youwish
04-20-2010, 09:40 AM
I've just had a bad experience with a VPN i signed up for, Crytocloud, although the speed and service was good, the owner of the company seems to be into some dubious things, which caused me to not want to be assosiated.

Anyway, this has put me in a dilema, I got the VPN because im on Virgin Media in the UK, and with the new Digital Economy Bill, they wont hesitate to shop us downloaders to the media lawyers.

I usually torrent alot from public trackers, because with my connection I cant keep a good ratio on private sites (10mb download , max 30kb upload at certain times) as for using the usenet, I usually cant find older files I want on there.

Im unsure which direction to take to keep myself secure and private, another VPN, a seedbox , cry in the corner ? After my experiece with crytocloud who I thought were very good, im suspicious of companys without alot of information/user reviews. I also dont really want to be speding anything over £15 a month for my privacy.

Any help and suggestions would be appreciated.

A
04-20-2010, 09:47 AM
Buy a seedbox,Use seedbox as proxy at the same time you wont have to worry about your ratios and you can SFTP everything from the box to your home as well :D

Youwish
04-20-2010, 09:50 AM
I was thinking about a seedbox, I had a look around the seedbox sub forum, but found it all a bit overwhelming and confusing about what to look for in a service.

I also wouldnt want to be too limited with my download bandwidth, end up half way through a month having to pay more to download. I dont know what the price ranges are, is £15 low end of the market ?

and how do they compare security wise to a VPN, if the seedboxs host is sent a request for IP information. On VPNs I know you share the fixed IP range with all the other users so identifying who the infringer was is difficult (When they dont keep logs at least), are seeboxes similar ?

A
04-20-2010, 10:02 AM
You can get a good seedbox from xirvik for your price and xirvik is a good seeedbox provider.The most basic one with 75GB fits your budget.
Check out this article: *URL removed* .By doing that its the seedbox IP which gets exposed and your IP is secure I believe.Maybe more technical guys can give better insight into this.But to do this you need a box with root access.checkout http://seedwave.net they have budget friendly servers giving you root access and VNC and stuff.

P.S:I think xirvik also provides you with the option of proxy.If thats the case then I think xirvik is the best choice

Youwish
04-20-2010, 10:31 AM
Thanks for the links, I checked them out.

The seedwave one being invite only and seems to be a bit more technical than im able to be at this point in time.

Xirvik, I must say I'm rather confused by the plans, between TorrentFlux Shared Servers and rtorrent semided and shared, Im unsure of the real differences or if its just a space/price thing ?

As for space, if I had 75gb of space, does that mean I can delte files from the server once i reach full and still continue to download ?

All there plans say unlimited bandwidth, is this really the case, is there no limit on the monthly d/l ?

Im unusure what slots per server is ?

Im guessing the rtorrent semided shared, plan includes some type of vpn/prxy from the text on the page "# HTTP proxy included - surf the web with anonimity."

All of there servers are in france,germany and USA, although ill get the max d/l speed, im assuming in real terms ill get substntially lower since ill be acess foreign servers ?

I feel like such a noob in this new land of seedboxs :p

I guess I should also get onto joining private trackers if i plan on getting one.

A
04-20-2010, 10:47 AM
1.Get rtorrent semidedi 75GB box
2.Yes 75GB is the space you get to use.You can delete files and then add more files just like your Harddrive
3.Yes xirvik provides unlimited bandwidth
4.Slot per server means how many are sharing the same server with you.3 users per slot means there are 3 users the server is divided into and shared.And you will be buying 1 slot.
5.A seedbox usually has 10MBps up/down shared between 3 users.So on average you will be getting about 5MBps up/down easily with xirvik.While moving data from server to your home usually you will be maxing out your line with xirvik.atleast that has been my case.

Youwish
04-20-2010, 10:57 AM
I think you may have convinced me, ill do a bit more lurking around the net on them and mabye give it a try, also need to see if i can get myself into private trackers, seems a bit redundant to have as high an upload speed as that on public trackers.

A
04-20-2010, 11:26 AM
ill do a bit more lurking around the net on them and mabye give it a try
By all means do a complete research before you make a decision.

also need to see if i can get myself into private trackers
IPtorrents is a fantabulous tracker and dont try getting into tracker by "Trading".You will get your ass banned before you can say "Jesus Christ".K maybe not that fast but getting into trading is calling for trouble and it is frowned upon.Just a friendly advice.:D

Youwish
04-20-2010, 11:33 AM
By all means do a complete research before you make a decision.

also need to see if i can get myself into private trackers
IPtorrents is a fantabulous tracker and dont try getting into tracker by "Trading".You will get your ass banned before you can say "Jesus Christ".K maybe not that fast but getting into trading is calling for trouble and it is frowned upon.Just a friendly advice.:D

heh im not into the whole trading thing, besides, ive nothing to trade :p

just looking for trackers that are open so i can build up a ratio then use IRC channels to request invites.

Only private tracker i ever used (beyond demonoid ofc) was what.cd a long time ago, needles to say my connection couldnt keep up a good ratio.

I think ill take the plunge on Xirvirk, at worst, one months payment wont be too bad if it doesnt work out.

Thanks for all your help mate, really appreciate it :)

Youwish
04-20-2010, 10:15 PM
Just as an update, I did end up buying the 75gb Semi Ded Plan, been using it for a few hours now, and it seems to all be running smoothly, so think im happy with it :)Now just need to be getting invited to a server to make some good ratios xD

Just a wonder, If i start torrents running in rutorrents web interface, and then shut down my PC, do the torrents continue to download/upload on the server ? or do they pause when the webUI is exited ?

stan
04-20-2010, 10:38 PM
Just a wonder, If i start torrents running in rutorrents web interface, and then shut down my PC, do the torrents continue to download/upload on the server ? or do they pause when the webUI is exited ?

The torrents continue running untill you stop or delete them. Use Cuteftp to download the torents to your home.

Bitsoup is open for sign-ups at this moment in time
http://bitsoup.org/signup.php

anoneemuse
04-21-2010, 08:44 AM
vpn sucks man ...

shell , c99 shell

and tunnel it to a root box ...

then pray to god you never get hacked

TONiC
04-21-2010, 01:03 PM
With VPNs you get what you pay for... go for a brand new service, which is dead cheap and you'll probably find your opinions of VPNs turn negative.

There are so many factors to consider... choose one that uses a hosting provider NEAR you, one that offers both dedicated and random IPs, and one that doesn't costs under $10 or over $20.