PDA

View Full Version : Socks5 Proxy

executioner
04-20-2010, 08:16 PM
Hi, could someone just confirm this for me.

If I put a valid Socks5 proxy IP and port number into my torrent client then the people i connect to will only see the IP address of the socks5 proxy server in their torrent client peer list.

is the above correct?

ca_aok
04-20-2010, 08:18 PM
Correct, assuming you have the setting "Use Proxy for P2P Connections" checked if it's available.

Note that tracker scrapes use UDP and thus don't go through the proxy, or so I've been told. Not really a security issue, just a heads up for those that are super paranoid :)

You can double check using this site:

http://checkmytorrentip.com/

anon
04-20-2010, 08:19 PM
Also, the proxy doesn't apply for incoming connections - but since both the tracker and peers will see its IP, there should be no way they can know your real address (except maybe the thingy ca_aok mentioned).

ca_aok
04-20-2010, 08:40 PM
Well you can always turn scraping off (or at least you can in uTorrent). It's the tracker that would theoretically see your IP on a scrape, the peerlist would still see your proxy IP. And since the biggest risk is having your IP recorded by one of the anti-p2p folks rather than having a site taken down and examined, it's a moot point.

executioner
04-20-2010, 08:42 PM
Hi, could someone just confirm this for me.

If I put a valid Socks5 proxy IP and port number into my torrent client then the people i connect to will only see the IP address of the socks5 proxy server in their torrent client peer list.

is the above correct?

Cheers, its just for public sites now and again when i need something thats not on one on my sites.

Can you disable the scrapes some how for public sites?

anon
04-20-2010, 08:45 PM

If you're using uTorrent, Options -> Preferences -> BitTorrent -> untick "ask tracker for scrape information".

executioner
04-20-2010, 08:52 PM

If you're using uTorrent, Options -> Preferences -> BitTorrent -> untick "ask tracker for scrape information".

Thanks, one more question, will the DHT, Peer Exchange and Local Peer Discovery all go throught the proxy aswell?

anon
04-20-2010, 08:57 PM
will the DHT, Peer Exchange and Local Peer Discovery all go throught the proxy aswee?

I don't think so... both DHT and PEX use UDP.

And as far as I know, LPD doesn't go outside your LAN (if any).

executioner
04-20-2010, 09:04 PM
will the DHT, Peer Exchange and Local Peer Discovery all go throught the proxy aswee?

I don't think so... both DHT and PEX use UDP.

And as far as I know, LPD doesn't go outside your LAN (if any).

Ok, I will Disable those aswell.

anoneemuse
04-21-2010, 08:53 AM
in my country

piracy is not a problem

just dont sell it on the streets

then you are going to get beaten up by cops

yo

rhkOPNRV8Pk

anon
04-21-2010, 01:48 PM
in my country

piracy is not a problem

just dont sell it on the streets

In my country you don't even have to take that "precaution" - you see the cops talking to pirated DVD sellers in the streets :ermm: