PDA

View Full Version : Would you accept somebody else's tracker account?

Polarbear
04-22-2010, 06:59 AM
If offered to you, would you accept somebody else's tracker account?

A
04-22-2010, 07:01 AM
No

Quarterquack
04-22-2010, 07:25 AM
I never quite understood accepting them. I've seen people accept them readily, actually I've seen people specifically ask for an account rather than an invite.

Disme
04-22-2010, 07:34 AM
Nope, but I guess some are desperate to get into X or Y tracker.
Some are so despaerate they would actually pay to get into a tracker :wacko:

anoneemuse
04-22-2010, 11:54 AM
yes yes yes i would i would .. i would

b3owulf
04-22-2010, 12:02 PM
No, and don't PM me offering accs lol

Cabalo
04-22-2010, 12:15 PM
If offered to you, would you accept somebody else's tracker account?
Only if they allowed me to pay for it. :shifty:

n00bz0r
04-22-2010, 12:57 PM
no.never.period.

The_Martinator
04-22-2010, 01:02 PM
No, I wouldn't. I can't say what my answer would be if I were new to BT right about now, though. But I'd like to think that I would read up on acceptin accs first.

anon
04-22-2010, 01:53 PM
Yes, and it happened a few times with people that no longer wanted or needed their account.

ca_aok
04-22-2010, 02:09 PM
Nah, more trouble than it's worth if you get caught.

I'd rather have the person just send me an invite before they quit the site.

tippertime
04-22-2010, 05:51 PM
If it was some crazy high level site with a nice buffer and had never made any forum posts and wasn't some vulgar screen name, then yeah sure I would take it...but odds of all those terms being met are not gonna happen

sez
04-22-2010, 06:29 PM
Nah, more trouble than it's worth if you get caught.

I'd rather have the person just send me an invite before they quit the site.

Ah I see,so your problem is getting caught.

But like you've started us off,I think the real question should be why shouldn't you accept somebody else's account?

bitsman
04-22-2010, 07:41 PM
NO

i prefer invites

X-Files
04-22-2010, 07:45 PM
yes. why not

cinephilia
04-22-2010, 08:03 PM
Nope, but I guess some are desperate to get into X or Y tracker.
Some are so despaerate they would actually pay to get into a tracker :wacko:
and i guess some are just happy to be able to leech with a comfortable margin.

ca_aok
04-22-2010, 08:52 PM
Ah I see,so your problem is getting caught.

But like you've started us off,I think the real question should be why shouldn't you accept somebody else's account?
Not really, I'm simply stating that if you just waited for an invite, you're much more likely to keep your account than you are if you accept one from someone else. It's a simple statement.

As for the question, because it's generally not allowed. You have a choice, just as we all do, whether you're going to break the rules of the communities you joined or follow them. Simple as that.

Zaxx
04-23-2010, 05:46 AM
No. For the obvious reason of it being against the rules...but more so because I prefer to be known by MY nick and reputation not some one else's.

anonymous0711
04-23-2010, 06:06 AM
eh i honestly couldnt say... under the circumstances tippertime mentioned it might be hard to refuse...
i'm not saying i'd do it but i find it hard to believe that some(not all) of the ppl who mentioned they wouldnt would actually hold true to that if offered say an FTN account with a standard(simple, classy, nothing outlandish) nick etc especially if the possibility of invites was next to none in the future... it is not much different than giving an invite in essence as you are gaining an account through someone else

so i guess basically what i'm saying is that i would have to be put in a situation like this for me to truly answer this question but i doubt it... there is no tracker i am that interested in getting in right now so i'm satisfied with what i have it might be different if i were looking for something as many other are tho

Quarterquack
04-23-2010, 06:19 AM
Anonymous, I've been offered (for lack of better words) "high level accounts" before, and always respectfully refused. I have my own reputation, my own personality, my own expectations of how I am to behave on a tracker, that I don't expect others to adhere to.

The same applies the other way, I'm sure somebody giving away their account have just about the same criteria, and are not willing to have their name dragged through the mud for the sake of giving.

What I don't understand is this: If someone has an account, why not just get an invite? Not even the most anal tracker staff can say no to a polite, humble invite request when put forward the right way.

anonymous0711
04-23-2010, 06:44 AM
this is true and while i've never turned down high level invites i honestly could see myself doing so for trackers i felt no need to have. What i can say tho is that not every1 who said they wouldnt has been in this situation and has access to what you may...
its always easier to say no when you know that wont be your only chance but for some1 who may not have been around as long or has been looking for something for a while and just never networked well enough to get it what are they truly going to do? they are going to say no in a thread like this to look good but is it an honest no?
personally i've always gotten what i wanted and even more without having to trade or accept accounts etc but i consider myself fortunate and have seen that not all have had my good fortune...

consider also that many trackers have rules against open giveaways... would you also deny an invite through one of these as they are also against the rules(not towards just ringhunter)

But yeah with the nick thing personally mine has changed until i've settled on one recently that i like and it isnt the same as here... so i guess i cant understand that sentiment but if i was more active in forums and community on my trackers i guess this would be more important

anon
04-23-2010, 01:24 PM
What I don't understand is this: If someone has an account, why not just get an invite? Not even the most anal tracker staff can say no to a polite, humble invite request when put forward the right way.

If he truly believes he no longer has a use for the account, asking for an invite when he can give the former away... it's still breaking the tracker's rules, though.

Glitterstep
04-23-2010, 03:09 PM
I wouldn't mind.Initially when i was looking for a TT invite,i spoke to these guys from India,who aren't even active out there and don't even love trance music,Infact have no idea about any Trance artists,labels,gigs etc.

In other words they are just collectors.So whats the harm if i use the tracker,coz that tracker would be of very good use to me.

cinephilia
04-23-2010, 03:54 PM
Not even the most anal tracker staff can say no to a polite, humble invite request when put forward the right way.
at least, i have learnt something new today.

Quarterquack
04-23-2010, 09:28 PM

I was being serious.

I have never been turned down if I asked the staff and gave a good reason for an invite request, although that's only happened once so far. :shifty:

I really doubt that many staff are too anal to say yes.

QPD
04-23-2010, 10:49 PM
no.

IdolEyes787
04-23-2010, 11:46 PM

I was being serious.

I have never been turned down if I asked the staff and gave a good reason for an invite request, although that's only happened once so far. :shifty:

I really doubt that many staff are too anal to say yes.

And up until this point I actually thought you'd been around bt for a while.:mellow:

Also specifics or it didn't happen.
And to answer the thread question,no mainly because strangely I put the value of my personal identity above that of being on any bt tracker.

Not that it's an especially good identity mind you but over the years I've sort of become attached to myself.

Quarterquack
04-24-2010, 12:26 AM
And up until this point I actually thought you'd been around bt for a while.:mellow:

I never said I've been around BT for years, mostly I've been on and off with the whole thing, according to what provides me the best source of content I'm looking for. Past couple of years it's been BT.

As for the specifics, I'll send it to you over PM if you really want it. It's not that it shouldn't be public, it's just because there's a huge background story for the request, about why my request was so "special" etc. and I still got it.

I'm dying to know what tracker staff would say no if you courteously asked them. A friend asked HDBits for me, and within an hour, two admins offered her an invite for me. Another friend (Garbonzo out here) asked the TT staff for two invites (first never got to my email inbox) and got both, the second of which I used. I really don't see how any tracker staff could turn down a dedicated member's courteous request.

IdolEyes787
04-24-2010, 12:42 AM
I really don't see how any tracker staff could turn down a dedicated member's courteous request.

You didn't originally specify by saying "dedicated member's courteous request " in which case you are probably right .
In the context of both your original post and this thread I assumed it was a request made by someone who was not a member.Besides that I wasn't really being serious although I am now when I say that the fact your friend being female certainly didn't decrease the chances of success.:whistling

Also the specifics remark was again largely in jest,although now with your admittance to getting onto 2 other "closed" trackers I have to admit my curiosity is piqued.

You sometimes I wish I had interests other the just plain old movies and TV so I could be on some of these cool trackers.:cry:

Kidding again if it wasn't apparent.

ca_aok
04-24-2010, 12:44 AM

I never said I've been around BT for years, mostly I've been on and off with the whole thing, according to what provides me the best source of content I'm looking for. Past couple of years it's been BT.

As for the specifics, I'll send it to you over PM if you really want it. It's not that it shouldn't be public, it's just because there's a huge background story for the request, about why my request was so "special" etc. and I still got it.

I'm dying to know what tracker staff would say no if you courteously asked them. A friend asked HDBits for me, and within an hour, two admins offered her an invite for me. Another friend (Garbonzo out here) asked the TT staff for two invites (first never got to my email inbox) and got both, the second of which I used. I really don't see how any tracker staff could turn down a dedicated member's courteous request.
It's totally dependent on both the site and the request. I've seen it happen before and I've done it myself (on sites where invites are closed I've requested an invite from the staff). However I've always been on really good terms with one of the staff members... I wouldn't feel that comfortable if I didn't have any prior background with them, even if I was a decent member of the site.

I've also seen it fail, in some cases rather spectacularly. This is why you make your request via PM rather than a public IRC channel ;)

A
04-24-2010, 03:38 AM
I'm dying to know what tracker staff would say no if you courteously asked them. A friend asked HDBits for me, and within an hour, two admins offered her an invite for me.
I knew it.Damn this girls.I say boys need special Privileges in BT.:shifty:.
People are trying their ass off to get into HDBits and here you get an invite within an hour?
1.The admins are desperate for girls
2.or It must have happen a long time back before HDBits closing up their invite system.
3.or The girl must be so close to the staff :naughty:

And I remember you saying you have no real close friends in BT in the BCG thread I think.Reading this you are pretty much connected :blink:

THEBAR
04-24-2010, 04:07 AM
No

Cabalo
04-24-2010, 04:15 AM
I'm dying to know what tracker staff would say no if you courteously asked them. A friend asked HDBits for me, and within an hour, two admins offered her an invite for me.
I knew it.Damn this girls.I say boys need special Privileges in BT.:shifty:.
People are trying their ass off to get into HDBits and here you get an invite within an hour?
1.The admins are desperate for girls
2.or It must have happen a long time back before HDBits closing up their invite system.
3.or The girl must be so close to the staff :naughty:

And I remember you saying you have no real close friends in BT in the BCG thread I think.Reading this you are pretty much connected :blink:
Well, we've had a guy impersonating a girl at this forum (how could that ever happen :huh:) and didn't succeed much at hers (his) requests.
Even for girls FST is tough. :lol:

Quarterquack
04-24-2010, 04:51 AM

The last person that made sex jokes about her has stopped posting on HDBits, I promise you, you don't want to make fun of her, a lot of people like/respect the person she is (regardless of being a lady), and that includes the tracker's staff.

Also, you assume that because people do me a favor I'm on a first name basis with them and I tell them how my day went, then ask them the same. I'm connected, more like know people enough to not come off as a rude moron when I ask them for a favor, but I'm in no way the super friendly person that knows his way around half the private trackers. I have no 'close' friends in the BT world, well not until recently, at least. (You know who you are <3)

TraLaLa
04-24-2010, 05:02 AM
only if its ****

DeonX
04-24-2010, 11:46 PM
I would say no, but if I can't find invite for that tracker for really long time, then I would say yes. :yup:

bondgannu
04-25-2010, 12:19 AM
No...

Its damn risky!!!!
Torrent account trading is reall no no from my side, in the BitTorrent world!!

Detale
04-25-2010, 12:21 AM
I wouldn't lie. When I first started I did take a few accts that were given to me and someone even let me share their SCT acct before I was lucky enough to get my own. Looking back I just didn't know better. It's way better to have your own acct to be proud of. This way you can make a name for yourself "around town" and such. If you accept someone's acct it's just to be grubby and download stuff IMO with the intention to one day run out on the acct for one reason or another. Bad news :)

Tv Controls you
04-25-2010, 03:55 AM
Looking back I just didn't know better. It's way better to have your own acct to be proud of. This way you can make a name for yourself "around town" and such. If you accept someone's acct it's just to be grubby and download stuff IMO with the intention to one day run out on the acct for one reason or another. Bad news

It's hard for me to be proud of an account and my name on a website as I would probably be banned if I even mentioned the affiliation I had with this site or the previous mistakes I made.
It really does kill my tracker experience as I am stuck to laying extremely low, and closely watching everything I say.

With that said, I have lost all my pride in my memberships.....
I would truly love to join a tracker with the name tv controls you and be able to post, but in reality I can't even stay on sites with a different name while laying low.

*Soooo tired, I'm hitting the bed.... Sorry if this whole post is a little off topic, but I'm just sick of the way BT treats members who try to correct their mistakes.

FileZ
04-25-2010, 09:29 AM
Yes

Detale
04-25-2010, 04:23 PM
It's hard for me to be proud of an account and my name on a website as I would probably be banned if I even mentioned the affiliation I had with this site or the previous mistakes I made.
It really does kill my tracker experience as I am stuck to laying extremely low, and closely watching everything I say.

With that said, I have lost all my pride in my memberships.....
I would truly love to join a tracker with the name tv controls you and be able to post, but in reality I can't even stay on sites with a different name while laying low.

*Soooo tired, I'm hitting the bed.... Sorry if this whole post is a little off topic, but I'm just sick of the way BT treats members who try to correct their mistakes.

I can honestly say I don't think many people have had more trouble being affiliated with FST. but the truth is if a site has a problem with you being a member here then Fuck them! Most sites are OK with it now as long as you aren't a trader or a dick :P

I was a trader long ago and as long as you are honest about it and that you have stopped they will forgive and be ok with it. Have some guts. If you want to PM me about which sites you think will give you trouble maybe I can help ;)

There have been more than a few threads on many sites about the idea of "ex" traders. Some say that ex traders shouldn't be forgiven because the only reason they stopped is they now have everything they wanted, but I don't think that's true for everyone. It's really a case by case basis IMHO. Keep in mind sometimes they simply don't like the individual and will use the old " he was a trader" excuse just to get you out. This is unfortunate but happens.

Yes

Wow thanks for the input, did you come up with that all on your own??

cinephilia
04-25-2010, 05:08 PM
I was a trader long ago and as long as you are honest about it and that you have stopped they will forgive and be ok with it.
you were trading but you weren't "a trader" imo.

i mean, trading is just the easy way to get what you want, not a status (except for the ones who find fulfilment in it and do it for collection purposes)

Iundk
04-26-2010, 01:17 AM
Definitely go with a invitation first...but if there is no other way then....I guess someone's account is better than nothing

Detale
04-26-2010, 04:01 AM
I was a trader long ago and as long as you are honest about it and that you have stopped they will forgive and be ok with it.
you were trading but you weren't "a trader" imo.

i mean, trading is just the easy way to get what you want, not a status (except for the ones who find fulfilment in it and do it for collection purposes)

Good observation, IMO very true but the fact is torrent staff really won't differentiate much I don't think. If you trade then to them you're a trader.

My philosophy has always been as long as you stop and are honest about your past transgressions you will be fine. Again some of the staff are just too cool to understand what I have been preaching for years now. IMO some traders just don't know it's a bad thing and need to be educated on the right way to do things instead of the same old drab statement "respect tracker rules" blah blah. They need to have someone really explain to them and guide them and show them the way, not just punish them harshly when they are caught. There was even a time during a heated debate on the subject I suggested "help a noob day" where everyone should pitch in and help a no0b out even give an invite to a sought after tracker in hopes they would see the light as it were. some were worried they would trade the acct but my counter was to include tracker staff to monitor the acct for a while and see if the ip changed at all. We all at some point were/are no0bs and need a little help from time to time. meh there's me ranting again, sorry.

kooltilldend
04-26-2010, 06:33 AM
would I? yeah why not...the other guy isn't using the account so the account's most likely going to be deleted due to inactivity anyways

ofcourse I'd much rather prefer my own account (i.e. an invite) but I don't see how using another's "inactive" account (as long as I'm using it exclusively - hence no sharing) is the same as trading