PDA

View Full Version : Feds And The Riaa

mgray3k
10-27-2003, 06:52 AM
We see it all Over the News, well anyways My brother wants to Know How Do they track you if your Downloading from K-lite. is There a Law that says "P2P" Is Illegal?

Gre1
10-27-2003, 06:58 AM
They don't care if u are downloading only if u are sharing alot of .mp3s like 500+ so if u are scared just don't share alot of them. But that doesn't mean don't share, u can shared something else

Wizzandabe
10-27-2003, 10:47 AM
They got to have some sort tool I recon though. :rolleyes:

Gre1
10-27-2003, 04:54 PM
What?

ScotchGuy
10-28-2003, 07:39 AM
It's not that hard to figure out someone's IP from Kazaa. A simple netstat command during a transfer will give you the answer, although I doubt that's what they do.

DrSpud
11-06-2003, 08:06 PM
I remember hearing something about how they do it. I think they used some kind of tool (like Wizzandabe said) that basically does a search for a hash of a popular file and stores the ip's that the supernode sends back in some kind of database along with the file name, date, and time. They do that with a lot of the popular files and they can easily pick out the ip addresses of people that are sharing the most of 'their' music. Then they can easily do a whois to find out the ISP of the person, which they force to tell who each person is.

So that's why PeerGuardian and the privacy patch are useless. And they'd just go after the people at the top of the list, so like Gre1 said, you'll be fine unless you're sharing a lot of popular, copyrighted mp3's.

And for your second question, P2P itself isn't illegal; what's illegal is using it for copyright infringment -- sharing copyrighted music, for example.

DasScoot
11-07-2003, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by DrSpud@6 November 2003 - 20:06
So that's why PeerGuardian and the privacy patch are useless. And they'd just go after the people at the top of the list, so like Gre1 said, you'll be fine unless you're sharing a lot of popular, copyrighted mp3's.

Considering no one using the privacy patch etc has been sued so far, I wouldn't say it's useless. Not perfect maybe, but it must be doing something.

Cheese
11-07-2003, 01:05 AM
Originally posted by DasScoot+7 November 2003 - 01:03--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (DasScoot @ 7 November 2003 - 01:03)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-DrSpud@6 November 2003 - 20:06
So that&#39;s why PeerGuardian and the privacy patch are useless. And they&#39;d just go after the people at the top of the list, so like Gre1 said, you&#39;ll be fine unless you&#39;re sharing a lot of popular, copyrighted mp3&#39;s.

Considering no one using the privacy patch etc has been sued so far, I wouldn&#39;t say it&#39;s useless. Not perfect maybe, but it must be doing something. [/b][/quote]
I think that they&#39;re gonna be using the path of least resistance to catch people but let&#39;s face it if you&#39;re sharing a LOT of files then you make yourself a bigger target...

Sparkle1984
11-07-2003, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by Withcheese+7 November 2003 - 01:05--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Withcheese @ 7 November 2003 - 01:05)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by DasScoot@7 November 2003 - 01:03
<!--QuoteBegin-DrSpud@6 November 2003 - 20:06
So that&#39;s why PeerGuardian and the privacy patch are useless. And they&#39;d just go after the people at the top of the list, so like Gre1 said, you&#39;ll be fine unless you&#39;re sharing a lot of popular, copyrighted mp3&#39;s.

Considering no one using the privacy patch etc has been sued so far, I wouldn&#39;t say it&#39;s useless. Not perfect maybe, but it must be doing something.
I think that they&#39;re gonna be using the path of least resistance to catch people but let&#39;s face it if you&#39;re sharing a LOT of files then you make yourself a bigger target... [/b][/quote]
But if you use the privacy patch, they have no way of telling *how many* files you&#39;re sharing. That&#39;s the whole point. ;)

Switeck
11-07-2003, 07:07 PM
K-Dat and KaZuperNodes are almost TAILOR-MADE tools for what RIAA is doing.

I think there&#39;s more than a LITTLE truth to KMD&#39;s claims that RIAA is using Kazaa Lite... :(

junkyardking
11-09-2003, 01:56 AM
In Australia we have strong privacy laws, ISP&#39;s are obligated under law to keep your info private but the isp will post these c & d letters on to you and if you get to many they will disconnect you.

The only legal way they should be able to get your name ect is if the Australian federal police get a search warrent for your ISP.

globalterminator
11-09-2003, 02:21 PM
riaa are just bullies :P

DrSpud
11-21-2003, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by Sparkle1984+7 November 2003 - 14:03--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Sparkle1984 &#064; 7 November 2003 - 14:03)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> But if you use the privacy patch, they have no way of telling *how many* files you&#39;re sharing.&nbsp; That&#39;s the whole point.&nbsp; ;) [/b]
It doesn&#39;t matter. They just pull out the list of files in their database and that&#39;s enough. But if they actually did do a &#39;Find more files from this user&#39; (I don&#39;t know if they do or not, I&#39;m only guessing here), then the privacy patch wouldn&#39;t let them see all their files -- but they still know that the person has everything they&#39;ve found already, which is my point.

Originally posted by DasScoot@6 November 2003 - 20:03
Considering no one using the privacy patch etc has been sued so far, I wouldn&#39;t say it&#39;s useless. Not perfect maybe, but it must be doing something.
Not necessarily. You can&#39;t really prove that, and even if it is true, it doesn&#39;t mean anything because of the number of people (most likely 0) that used the privacy patch when the RIAA started looking for people sharing music, which was certainly some time before they ever started suing people.

And also, I know for a fact that people using PeerGuardian have been sued -- like I said, useless.

<!--QuoteBegin-Switeck@7 November 2003 - 15:07
I think there&#39;s more than a LITTLE truth to KMD&#39;s claims that RIAA is using Kazaa Lite... [/quote]
I don&#39;t doubt it. I could make a tool in about 5 minutes that harvests IP addresses from .dat files that have been started right from in Kazaa Lite, after a few hours of &#39;Auto Search More&#39; going on a search for a popular song.

cappella(m)
11-21-2003, 10:55 PM
I heard in the local news that they track tiscali Fileswappers in italy.. How is it possible?? I also don&#39;t understand.. may be tiscali has a special tool which searches for all tiscali users on p2p network ?? the only problem is that i am a tiscali user..&#33;&#33; but i am not scared at all ;)

Switeck
11-22-2003, 03:46 AM
Originally posted by DrSpud+21 November 2003 - 16:23--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (DrSpud &#064; 21 November 2003 - 16:23)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-Sparkle1984@7 November 2003 - 14:03
But if you use the privacy patch, they have no way of telling *how many* files you&#39;re sharing. That&#39;s the whole point. ;)
It doesn&#39;t matter. They just pull out the list of files in their database and that&#39;s enough. But if they actually did do a &#39;Find more files from this user&#39; (I don&#39;t know if they do or not, I&#39;m only guessing here), then the privacy patch wouldn&#39;t let them see all their files -- but they still know that the person has everything they&#39;ve found already, which is my point.[/b][/quote]
A clairification about the &#39;privacy patch&#39; (the setting that blocks listing of your files by others):
If they actually did do a &#39;Find more files from this user&#39;, then the privacy patch wouldn&#39;t let them see ANY of their files -- EVEN THOUGH they may have spotted files being shared by a particular user using a REGULAR search or even because they are currently DOWNLOADING from the &#39;not sharing&#39; user&#33;

However, even the ATTEMPT to get a listing of the shared files of a user can be enough for ME to discover someone&#39;s ip address if I have very little other activity going on in KL++. A new ip connection is opened, followed by a quick closing of it due to lack of data to be sent. Shows up in TCPview when I use snapshot mode like a sore thumb. B)

Lasse
11-26-2003, 08:30 PM
Well Regarding Riaa

Dont know if its was them, but i recieved a anonymus call with a recorded voice saying that i was downloading a lot og mp3`s & Movies.. And i would hear from them soon...

Is that something a should worry about?

Has anybody got or heard about these calls..

I have a feeling that this is a prankcall.. But still.. :o/

Please answer&#33;
"Lasse"
Copenhagen Denmark

Sparkle1984
11-26-2003, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by Lasse@26 November 2003 - 19:30
Well Regarding Riaa

Dont know if its was them, but i recieved a anonymus call with a recorded voice saying that i was downloading a lot og mp3`s & Movies.. And i would hear from them soon...

Is that something a should worry about?

Has anybody got or heard about these calls..

I have a feeling that this is a prankcall.. But still.. :o/

Please answer&#33;
"Lasse"
Copenhagen Denmark
Oh my goodness, for crying out loud, this has just got to be a joke &#33;&#33;&#33; :lol: :lol:

The sky is falling&#33;&#33;

Is it something we should worry about??&#33;&#33; Shall we go and hide under our bed for the next 10 years??&#33;&#33; Should we emigrate to Antartica to escape??&#33;&#33; LOL &#33;&#33; :lol: You get the picture........ :sleeping: