PDA

View Full Version : hdd problem

John1988
04-23-2010, 05:27 PM
today bought WD caviar blue 320GB sata hard drive
but its not appearing in BIOS either on operating system
i have this mainboard (http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=P4V88%2B)
and this hdd (http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?DriveID=299)

any ideas?

Expeto
04-23-2010, 06:29 PM
any other hdds on the system?

John1988
04-23-2010, 06:33 PM
Seagate Baracuda IDE 160GB

Detale
04-24-2010, 02:49 AM
Most likely you just need to initialize your disks. Either that or enable SATA in your bios. What OS are you running? (xp, win7, vista?)

Expeto
04-24-2010, 05:00 AM
This might be your problem.
I don't know lot about your motherboard, but I seen way too much cases of IDE and SATA canceling each other. Some boards just cant hand an IDE and a SATA at same time.

So remove IDE and try again.

But your board still can handle few IDE or few SATA drives, so if this is the case, changing the drive can also solve it.

clocker
04-24-2010, 11:05 AM
Most likely you just need to initialize your disks.

Bingo.

Detale
04-24-2010, 01:56 PM
This might be your problem.
I don't know lot about your motherboard, but I seen way too much cases of IDE and SATA canceling each other. Some boards just cant hand an IDE and a SATA at same time.

So remove IDE and try again.

But your board still can handle few IDE or few SATA drives, so if this is the case, changing the drive can also solve it.
:huh: What boards are these?

Just noticed I didn't explain how to initialize it.

You will have to open Disk Management and to do this click on Start menu and choose Run.
NowType: diskmgmt.msc
Then click OK or press Enter and Disk Management will open. In Disk Management you should see your disk drive recognized and if you right click on it you will then have to choose Initialize Disk.

Appzalien
04-24-2010, 04:35 PM
But wait! his board supports sata 1.5 and he bought a sata 3.0. If he doesn't use the jumper to make it 1.5 capable, the mobo will never see it or initialize it. Ain't that right?

Detale
04-25-2010, 12:03 AM
Hmm, maybe but I doubt it. Not to mention on most of the drives I have used the jumper has is factory set to be 1.5 and needs to be removed before instaling to get the 3.0. Good observation though ;)

Appzalien
04-25-2010, 03:53 PM
Gee, its been my obsevation that only Seagate was putting the jumper in the 150 mode, and now they have stopped because of customer complaints. WD and Maxtor and I can only assume others, when advertised as 3gig, had a little jumper in a plastic bag but it was not on.

Heck its worth a try, no? He should see something in the instructions that came with the drive unless he bought it OEM, and then he can get them on the Manufacturers site if the drive didn't come with them.

Detale
04-25-2010, 04:01 PM
Recently I've had a bunch of different HDD's that came with the jumper. Seagate Hitachi, WD. I don't have a preference when it comes to HDD brands really so I use whatever is cheap with a decent newegg rating. I don't think he would need a manual just if it looks like the pic below take this jumper off :)

http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/4624/jumperf.jpg

And not for anything but where is the OP??