PDA

View Full Version : Crysis / Metro 2033 like RPG

Seedler
04-24-2010, 11:32 PM
Playing through Metro 2033 and marvelling at the graphics, I began to wonder, why hasn't anyone created a MMORPG with graphics such as Crysis or Oblivion?

It would be amazingly realistic and therefore immersive, the economic potential of such a game would be enormous.

Any thoughts?

Edit:

I meant MMORPG haha, and also it should read MMORPG in title:)

tesco
04-25-2010, 01:38 AM
Oblivion is an RPG. :wacko:

MagicNakor
04-25-2010, 02:06 AM
A modded-out version of Fallout 3 might be close (based on screenies of Metro 2033). I Am Alive could also fit, but it's too early to tell.

Unfortunately there's a bit of an engine problem when designing RPGs... either they have to co-opt an engine to suit their purpose (Quake, Unreal usually) which doesn't necessarily allow for all the features of an RPG or they have to spend time developing their own engine to the detriment of the game itself (Aurora and NWN vs Witcher). Add to that the small size of the RPG market and the current trends to online-subscription-play and microtransactions, things look a little bleak for the standard single-player. Alpha Protocol and Deus Ex 3 are probably two of the anticipated RPGs (action-RPGs) for the year, but I'm waiting to see what Witcher 2 offers; CD Projekt Red is designing a new engine specifically for Witcher/multiple-path RPG-ing.

tldr: cost vs benefit isn't in currently favour of RPG gamers

:shuriken:

Rart
04-25-2010, 02:11 AM
why hasn't anyone created a RPG with graphics such as Oblivion?

It really doesn't get much more RPGish than that.

Have you even played Oblivion?

AceofSpace
04-25-2010, 02:33 AM
Fallout 3 is also a great RPG which is pretty realistic.

Cabalo
04-25-2010, 04:04 AM
STALKER is in many aspects also an RPG. The whole Stalker series.

Seedler
04-25-2010, 04:16 PM
I meant MMORPG haha.

Silly me.

Skweeky
04-25-2010, 05:12 PM
You bunch of bloody geeks.

MagicNakor
04-25-2010, 06:37 PM
Hellgate: London was shut down due to the parent company's bankruptcy. But Interplay's Fallout MMO is now going ahead since Bethseda dropped the lawsuit. For now, your best might be to consider giving Fallen Earth (http://www.fallenearth.com) a shot; they have a 10-day free trial.

Considering the nature of this board, a certain level of geekiness is expected, nay, required. But you can choose your flavour. ;)

:shuriken: