PDA

View Full Version : Hard drive being scanned

xboxhaxorz
04-25-2010, 09:55 PM
I use BT and am fairly secure with it. A friend just told me that a few mths ago he got a letter from his ISP that he was dling, he said they had listed all the files on his hard drive that he had dled using azureus.

If it was just a single file that he was dling and thats how they caught him i would understand, but listing all of his movies thats scary. I assume this means they have scanning capabilities.

I hope this is not the case?

Cabalo
04-25-2010, 09:57 PM
Tell him to stop using thepiratebay or mininova.

Quarterquack
04-25-2010, 10:28 PM
No such thing as remote scan unless he's a complete retard when it comes to security. Ask him to stop downloading files from prolific piracy websites, as Cabalo already mentioned.

MeepMeep
04-25-2010, 10:47 PM
I've heard of this happening quite a bit recently. Personally I stick with TV only.

darkstate01
04-25-2010, 10:52 PM
If you are using xp, try a nice firewall program called protowall plus the blocklist manager to update the blocklists for it, It will keep out all those pesky isp/mpaa muppets from nicking your hard earned cash in court.
Or just stop illegally filesharing of course.

anon
04-25-2010, 10:54 PM
Indeed do a malware check and stop downloading from public sites, or at least use some kind of IP filtering. Here's the blocklist I use:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ed2k-ipfilterx/files/

sake
04-26-2010, 10:23 AM
In fact ISPs can "view" everything .. it doesn`t matter if the tracker is public or not. (i`ve asked my ISP`s administrator and he told me so ... there is always traffic information about you and methods to "scan" yout traffic).

anon
04-26-2010, 01:08 PM
In fact ISPs can "view" everything .. it doesn`t matter if the tracker is public or not.

Totally right, they see every byte you pass to and from the Net. But most of the time it's anti-P2P companies/bots that catch you pirating, not your ISP, and you can decrease your chances of connecting to those by using private sites and a good IP filter.

Tv Controls you
04-26-2010, 01:30 PM
Try out peer block and from the sounds of it download some antivirus/antispyware...

Also I would unfortunately recommend trying not to download at major public trackers.

sake
04-26-2010, 06:08 PM
In fact ISPs can "view" everything .. it doesn`t matter if the tracker is public or not.

Totally right, they see every byte you pass to and from the Net. But most of the time it's anti-P2P companies/bots that catch you pirating, not your ISP, and you can decrease your chances of connecting to those by using private sites and a good IP filter.

We had here some new laws discussions and it was all about scanning our traffic. And these were not the anti piracy organizations, but the government and it was all about getting the information from the ISP in the next 2 hours after a signal has been given. I mean - police tell the ISP to give the information for username: sake, ISP gives it and then they are coming to my door and GAME OVER :) But this law wasn`t passed :) Lucky again ... :P :rolleyes:

anon
04-26-2010, 06:14 PM
We had here some new laws discussions and it was all about scanning our traffic. And these were not the anti piracy organizations, but the government and it was all about getting the information from the ISP in the next 2 hours after a signal has been given.

Well, it depends on the case, of course. In the one you mention, there's no way the ISP can refuse to hand the cops/govenment the data they want.

sake
04-26-2010, 06:26 PM
We had here some new laws discussions and it was all about scanning our traffic. And these were not the anti piracy organizations, but the government and it was all about getting the information from the ISP in the next 2 hours after a signal has been given.

Well, it depends on the case, of course. In the one you mention, there's no way the ISP can refuse to hand the cops/govenment the data they want.

Absolutely i agree with you, i just wanted to share one more example what could eventually happen :)
But our case here is a little bit different :)