PDA

View Full Version : Needs Great Media Player!? Anyone?

Gman_Link
04-25-2010, 10:48 PM
I need a media player that can play both .flac and .mkv files, such as VLC player. However this player must have an interface, like iTunes or WMP, and shouldn't be very laggy like Winamp (Laggy when I'm uploading a few thousand songs and movies to the media player library.

I really don't like using iTunes because it can't play .flac, .mkv, .avi and doesn't even store them in the library. It seems to me that iTunes only stores .mp4/mpeg4 or .mp3 files, which seriously limits my music/movie library.

anon
04-25-2010, 10:53 PM
Media Player Classic Home Cinema?

Gman_Link
04-25-2010, 11:10 PM
I don't think it can play .mkv files.
I don't think it has a "library" interface either.

I've used media classic player and it's similar to vlc in terms of appearance. Both are just players, not "music library" players, if you will.

anon
04-25-2010, 11:13 PM
I don't think it can play .mkv files.

Yes, it can if you install ffdshow (I'm not sure this is a requirement, but it probably is).

I don't think it has a "library" interface either.

That I can't help you with :happy:

IdolEyes787
04-25-2010, 11:19 PM
BS.Player? Maybe Gom - fantastic video player although there is some dispute on it's .flac capabilities.
jetAudio?

Gman_Link
04-26-2010, 12:12 AM
Can any of those players play flac and mkv files?
Do they have an interface similar to that of iTunes or WMP?

Cabalo
04-26-2010, 12:13 AM
BS.Player? Maybe Gom - fantastic video player although there is some dispute on it's .flac capabilities.
jetAudio?
I second that too. GOM hasn't let me down on either of those formats.

Gman_Link
04-26-2010, 01:59 AM
>.>

Ok, well creating playlists is great and all, but I'd prefer to have a library like iTunes, for the sake of organization and ease of access to all my media files.

db_la_23
04-26-2010, 02:09 AM
use the Km media player

Gman_Link
04-26-2010, 02:54 AM
I have no intention of offending, but I'm trying to find a media player with an interface like this.

http://ipodtouchtipsandtricks.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/itunes-screenshot.jpg

The essentials is the "library" list and the selection panel on the let side.

I see that KM player, really a ton of players have "PlayLists," but are there any add-ons for these playlists? Like adding album art, rating, editing ID3 tags, etc.

Expeto
04-26-2010, 06:31 AM
Gman, try Miro if you want something like it,

but GOM is also my personal number one, specially for movies.

kooltilldend
04-26-2010, 06:47 AM
i can't think of one which has them both

try mediamonkey or tag&rename for the play list part (for music)

while gom, zoom, bs player, mpc (get the codec pack imo), etc for the mkv's

Gman_Link
04-26-2010, 07:11 AM
Wow... Miro looks amazing. It'll especially be useful for checking vid updates for various shows. However, I'm not so sure if it plays .mkv, and I think the main focus for that is video files, not just media files in general.

Wait a sec. Someone said something about JetAudio.

Although it isn't as organizable as iTunes or Winamp, it looks pretty decent. The only qualm I think there would be is the "Playlist" organization.

*sigh* I really wish people would work on winamp. Just optimizing it for speed would make it far more appealing.

voices
04-26-2010, 07:44 AM
i have a smae proplem when i play MKV files with KM player or WMP

anon
04-26-2010, 03:04 PM
The essentials is the "library" list and the selection panel on the let side.

Ares has both features, meaning that as a last resort, you could use its Library feature without (auto)connecting to the network or downloading anything. It doesn't seem to be able to play MKVs, meaning it's pretty much useless for you, but I thought I'd mention it.

Gman_Link
04-26-2010, 10:16 PM
Ares is a torrent program. I'd rather not use two torrent programs; it's too much of a hassle.

Besides, I'm rather attached to uTorrent.

I have Miro and JetAudio to look over, despite my qualms over them.

Does anyone know why Winamp fails so much in terms of lag and crashing?

anon
04-26-2010, 10:19 PM
Ares is a torrent program. I'd rather not use two torrent programs; it's too much of a hassle.

The BitTorrent support is extremely basic - it mostly operates on its own network. That and chat.

Does anyone know why Winamp fails so much in terms of lag and crashing?

Neither v5.0 nor v2.92 ever gave me any trouble... :ermm:

Gman_Link
04-26-2010, 11:26 PM
I'd still rather stick with uTorrent. :|

Have you tried uploading 10-50 audio files or 2-5 (movie) avi files?
At that point, the whole program freezes. Soon afterwards, the whole program crashes.

anon
04-26-2010, 11:27 PM
Have you tried uploading 10-50 audio files or 2-5 (movie) avi files?
At that point, the whole program freezes. Soon afterwards, the whole program crashes.

In Winamp? No, I mostly use it as a media player. :D

Tv Controls you
04-27-2010, 03:31 AM
I use winamp with atleast 3,000 tracks in it as my primary flac/mp3 player on my computer.

It is a little slow when first starting as I store my music on another hard drive, but after that initial 3 second delay it is speedy.
Imo, winamp is the best music player/organizer I have ever used.

Itunes (no offense) is bloatware that could never compare to winamp.

As for a media player I use winamp, then if that doesn't work wmp, then if that doesn't work vlc.
And if vlc won't play it.... it's not worth watching lol

Jej
04-27-2010, 09:11 AM
using Windows Media Player Classic from the K-Lite codecs, works perfectly

Gman_Link
04-27-2010, 10:30 PM
It is a little slow when first starting as I store my music on another hard drive, but after that initial 3 second delay it is speedy.
Imo, winamp is the best music player/organizer I have ever used.

Itunes (no offense) is bloatware that could never compare to winamp.

I completely agree with you. iTunes is the worst program ever, but it's the best program in terms of organizing, displaying, and editing (in terms of apply ID3 tags).

Winamp is superior to iTunes, but the reason why I don't use it because it crashes and lags waay too frequently, even when using the pro version.

I agree that Winamp is the best music player/organizer, but again, lags/crashes... waay too much... It isn't really practical at that point because by the time it crashes, I could be watching the video on VLC, although I couldn't store it in a library of some sort, sadly.

Should Winamp developers actually give a damn and work on this crashing and lag problem, I'd download it and uninstall iTunes in a heart beat.

TheLittle
04-28-2010, 06:19 AM
Bsplayer + Codec

Gman_Link
04-28-2010, 08:22 AM
Bsplayer + Codec

That.... was the penultimate most awful media player I've ever used in terms of practicality. It comes second compared to Winamp.

Why is there audio lag when playing a .mkv video file? And more importantly, why can't I upload all my .flac files onto the library?

Sure BSplayer does have it's advantages as it satisfies my conditions, but I think that it's still in its developmental stages. Thus B.S. player (get the pun?).

It does have to potential to become an iTunes killer but not as great as Winamp. For one, the media library interface, rather the entire program itself is too simple and lacks any sort of precision in terms of tools, etc. Although I'm not really complaining because this situation may be remedied by a change in skins.

Still, unfortunately... my quest for a great media player continues.... :frusty:
I'm waay too picky... Yes... I know...

TBDown
04-28-2010, 03:23 PM
SMPlayer (Windows or Linux) It's Great With Full Support

Gman_Link
04-29-2010, 03:02 AM
Does it have a "media library" like iTunes, Winamp, or BSplayer?

All I can see based on the screenshots are playlists.

rabie1981
04-29-2010, 04:49 PM
Media Player Classic

anon
04-29-2010, 04:52 PM
You didn't read the thread, did you? :pinch:

Ratchet
04-29-2010, 05:27 PM
Winamp is obviously going to be laggy when importing songs and movies, so is every other media player. It's no like you're going to be importing for more than 15 minutes every month or so. I currently use Winamp as itunes needed all this extra crap to run.

kavros
04-29-2010, 05:57 PM
use the km media player

+1

Gman_Link
04-29-2010, 09:27 PM
Winamp is obviously going to be laggy when importing songs and movies, so is every other media player. It's no like you're going to be importing for more than 15 minutes every month or so. I currently use Winamp as itunes needed all this extra crap to run.

The fact of the matter remains the Winamp crashes even after uploading songs and movies.

Yes, probably when playing songs, and yes, probalby when playing videos, especially .mkv since that's the file type that most media players seem to struggle to play.

Gman_Link
05-03-2010, 07:58 PM

You should read the entire thread before you post. >.>

Phucnv87
05-09-2010, 01:50 AM
I recommend you using The KMPlayer, the best media player I've ever known.

Gman_Link
05-09-2010, 02:21 AM
I recommend you using The KMPlayer, the best media player I've ever known.

Again... Read the entire thread before you post... :dry:

est
05-09-2010, 12:18 PM
kmplayer, potplayer, smplayer, mpc

anon
05-09-2010, 04:18 PM

It won't happen. They'll only read the title and then post.

Gman_Link
05-09-2010, 05:47 PM

It won't happen. They'll only read the title and then post.

Point.

Beeker
05-09-2010, 09:33 PM
I like media monkey for audio and playlists and vlc for my flicks

brightsid
05-11-2010, 07:01 AM
Have you tried media center software like J.River, xbmc, media portal or windows media center?
All are able of cataloging your media collection. In some of them (xbmc,media portal) you can even choose the player you prefer.
BUT you have to spent time in setup mainly for the collection

kingeater
05-11-2010, 06:35 PM
Question: I went through the thread here, and didn't see anyone mention XBMC as a video player. It has a skinnable/slick interface, has a library and queueing feature I believe, should be down the alley of what you are looking for. Also, any reason you don't use Foobar for your music needs? seems to have a decent library/playlist features, and with my 40K song list, only took 15min once to load the whole thing, any other time now its pretty quick. Sorry if neither of these are what you are looking for :P

Gman_Link
05-12-2010, 12:47 AM
Have you tried media center software like J.River, xbmc, media portal or windows media center?
All are able of cataloging your media collection. In some of them (xbmc,media portal) you can even choose the player you prefer.
BUT you have to spent time in setup mainly for the collection

I don't use Windows Media Player because the interface is waay too... simplistic... The GUI is supposedly user-friendly, but I just don't like it. :P

I haven't heard of those programs (J.River, xbmc, or media portal). Do they have a library interface similar to that of Winamp or iTunes? The essentials are music and videos with compatibility to flac and mkv files in addition to writing tags while in the library interface.

Could you give me a breif description of each program you mentioned?

brightsid
05-13-2010, 11:06 AM
You can easily check it yourshelf

JR is easily in setup and has it's own player and you can easily tag your music
http://www.jrmediacenter.com/images/Features/Tagging.jpg

http://www.jrmediacenter.com/features.html

Both xbmc and mediaportal are open source and you have to spent time in properly setuping everything. There are a lot of skins and plugins available that can cover all kind of media files. Their interface is rather impressive but that's a personal opinion. I use media portal in my htpc cause i prefer mpc-hc as a player and there is an extra software for tagging
http://xbmc.org
http://www.team-mediaportal.com/

Gman_Link
05-14-2010, 02:45 AM
Wow brightsid. That's an awesome media player.

I might say it could topple iTunes... if it wasn't for the fact that it's shareware, but I'm still trying to grapple with setting this JRiver up to my standards. Make it more iTunes-ish.

As for the other two media players, they seem to be more like Windows Media Center than iTunes or JRiver. At the moment, J River is the best media player that anyone has mentioned. Hopefully, i'll be able to get used to it.

crespo9
05-14-2010, 08:21 AM
the kmplayer and media play classic are all the best player that can let you be happy

paolotrials
05-15-2010, 03:55 AM
VLC Player

nation
05-22-2010, 02:56 PM
i think you can try GOM player, this is a very good player supported all kind of formats

anon
05-22-2010, 06:37 PM
VLC Player

i think you can try GOM player, this is a very good player supported all kind of formats

KMPlayer

None of you read the first post. :happy:

LtAda
06-10-2010, 11:12 PM
I have always supported VLC Player, it never fails me, and plays all the rare video types that I stumble upon. I like Media Player Classic along with the K-Lite codec pack as well but I've switched to VLC since it is a lot more sleek and easier to use.