PDA

View Full Version : Msn? ---> Linux?

ObLiViOuS_1.0
10-27-2003, 09:39 PM
ya i figured out mandrake and crap but i cant get online unless i were to go on the windows partition and stuff if you know what i mean so ya is there a msn explorer8 for linux? it'd really help me out

LTJBukem
10-27-2003, 09:55 PM
I think i understand what you mean. :lol:

You'll need a modem that is compatible with Linux. Most modems are 'winmodems'. ie. for Windows.

As far as msn explorer goes. Why are you using Linux if you're into newbie crap like that? :P

Good Luck. :)

4play
10-27-2003, 10:22 PM
how are you trying to connect to the internet?

and there a lots of browsers for linux mozilla, firebird, konqurer and lynx spring to mind.

Wizzandabe
10-27-2003, 10:48 PM
Got a built in one, like IE.
SuSe 9.0 Set my internet up, and I never even new about it.

ObLiViOuS_1.0
10-28-2003, 02:01 AM
ya i need to know if there is msn for linux b/c thats my isp

ObLiViOuS_1.0
10-28-2003, 02:03 AM
sooo would there be any way for me to log on to the internet w/o having to get a different isp or something?

4play
10-28-2003, 02:15 AM
msn for linux are you nuts. :lol:

the only thing i can think of is to try using wine to emulate msn8.

3RA1N1AC
10-28-2003, 02:38 AM
you have to use MSN explorer to log onto the MSN ISP??? that doesn't sound right........ :blink:

ObLiViOuS_1.0
10-28-2003, 02:53 AM
ok so can i just get wine off of kazaa or something or is there a good emu website that has it?...

Livy
10-28-2003, 02:57 AM
u should be able to set the connection up manually, u will need to know a few details, which arent hard to get.

ObLiViOuS_1.0
10-28-2003, 03:06 AM
how do you do it could you pm me please

Livy
10-28-2003, 03:11 AM
im not to sure about linux, but someone may be able to help u more.

things i think u will need,

dial up number
username and password
primary dns server
secondary dns server
Tertiary DNS????
Webcache/Proxy Server

msn should give u this information. or it may be on there site somewhere

ObLiViOuS_1.0
10-28-2003, 04:50 AM
hmmm can anyone help me out?

wienerschnitzel
10-28-2003, 05:05 AM
I think that MSN forces you to use their special way of connecting to the internet but im not to sure. To connect to most dial up isp you just need the phone number, your account name and your password. You could try using these three things somewhere in linux but im not to sure where. I use red hat and a cable modem so sorry i couldn't be that much of a help

ObLiViOuS_1.0
10-28-2003, 05:18 AM
thanks anyways dude

Mr. Blunt
10-28-2003, 05:20 AM
Originally posted by ObLiViOuS_1.0@27 October 2003 - 20:50
hmmm can anyone help me out?
Look on MSN's Support pages. You CAN set up a manual connection to them. I used to use MSN and I connected without using their special browser. Start looking at their pages. I don't think you'll get alot of help here.

ObLiViOuS_1.0
10-28-2003, 05:22 AM
thanks but what info do i need the phone # username and password or what is that it? and were do i enter it on the linux i.e. type thing

shn
10-28-2003, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by ObLiViOuS_1.0@27 October 2003 - 23:22
thanks but what info do i need the phone # username and password or what is that it? and were do i enter it on the linux i.e. type thing
with dial up in linux you use a ppp connection to the dial up isp ras server. Aol only allows you to connect with their software and cant be used in linux unless you have a program called "Peng" for aol for linux. Msn may or may not be the same way. Nevertheless if you can set it up manually without their software then you should be able to do it in linux.

PPP is point to point protocol. Its the type of connection you use to dial in. Your ppp basics (username, password, access number to isp etc) are stored in a ppp configuration file and you should be able to find it in your /etc/ folder in linux. You could also try a SLIP connection which is most common in unix and is really old though. More than likely dialing in you will use a ppp connection.

Earthlink allows you to dial in from a linux box even though I dont use earthlink, I have roadrunner but I dialed into earthlink once or twice with a modem. Here are some ppp tutorials. Desktops like kde and gnome generally have internet connection wizards to make it easier for people who dont know what their doing.

Also your modem may need a kernel module so that you cant create a link to your modem it should be /dev//ttyS0 or something, anyway but it has to be able to detect your modem.

http://axion.physics.ubc.ca/ppp-linux.html#Modem
http://linuxselfhelp.com/HOWTO/PPP-HOWTO/tools.html

ObLiViOuS_1.0
10-28-2003, 07:54 PM
ok that was really confusing but i think i sortof understand ill check out the tutorial things

ObLiViOuS_1.0
10-28-2003, 07:58 PM
ahhh those are so confusing i just dont get them is there an easier way to put it?

like you need this this and this you put them here and then there ya go or something???