PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P FTN or not?

Pages : 1 [2]

Quarterquack
06-24-2010, 12:59 PM
Serious question .If they don't meet costs and do shut down do I then automatically get my money back or do I have to file a claim ?
I don't mind donating to keep them on their feet even if I am passively subsidizing a bunch of ingrate other members who apparently can be bothered ( you play you pay) but I don't like the thought that the unused funds might be spent on some staffers new Playstation or something.

You don't get the funds automatically; you would have to file a paypal dispute to get your money back. The upside is, your money is guaranteed to get back to you, paypal always sides with the buyer (well, donor in this case, but that's worthless semantics).

By the way, just a random question. Why would you donate to a place when you are unsure of the stability of its future? I am a regular donor at a couple of places, but the minute they start actively asking for donations, I usually shun away from it, because I get this eerie doomed feeling that my money will serve no (useful) ends.

mrnobody
06-24-2010, 01:02 PM
I would like to know how much their monthly costs are. Is that 33% shortage $300, or $1000?

Edit- And what is the breakdown of the costs? Other sites do this and it is very reassuring. Why does a 10 euro donation only change the percentage by 1%?

Transparency does bring about greater trust.

someone estimated it to be 1200 euro. their server cost has gone like 3x in last few years i think :dry:

IdolEyes787
06-24-2010, 01:06 PM
Serious question .If they don't meet costs and do shut down do I then automatically get my money back or do I have to file a claim ?
I don't mind donating to keep them on their feet even if I am passively subsidizing a bunch of ingrate other members who apparently can be bothered ( you play you pay) but I don't like the thought that the unused funds might be spent on some staffers new Playstation or something.

You don't get the funds automatically; you would have to file a paypal dispute to get your money back. The upside is, your money is guaranteed to get back to you, paypal always sides with the buyer (well, donor in this case, but that's worthless semantics).

By the way, just a random question. Why would you donate to a place when you are unsure of the stability of its future? I am a regular donor at a couple of places, but the minute they start actively asking for donations, I usually shun away from it, because I get this eerie doomed feeling that my money will serve no (useful) ends.

Because appearances to the contrary I'm essentially nice.:unsure:

I also give money to people begging on the street even though I know I'm probably being taken there as well.
In terms of giving I'd rather be a fool than think I could have helped someone and I didn't .
I draw the line at religion though.I'm stupid not retarded.

karachidude
06-24-2010, 01:28 PM
ftn is going to be back online ?

lol,when did it go down,its up :)

X-Files
06-24-2010, 01:30 PM
Give every donator (at least 10euro) an invite like what they did 2-3months ago.
Problem solved. 250% and counting.

megabyteme
06-24-2010, 01:31 PM
someone estimated it to be 1200 euro. their server cost has gone like 3x in last few years i think :dry:

Man, that's enough to buy a nice chinchilla fur coat. :D

The number does seem to fit with the 1% roughly equaling 10 euros. That's a lot higher than FSC. I would really like to see the server bill and misc. costs.

Consider me a juror willing to look at more evidence, at this point. :mellow:

Edit- The site has reached 72%, BTW...

mrnobody
06-24-2010, 02:09 PM

The number does seem to fit with the 1% roughly equaling 10 euros. That's a lot higher than FSC. I would really like to see the server bill and misc. costs.

yeap LOT higher than FSC. Both are 0-day and have same owner. But FTN has like 2x userbase, torrent, peers and probably pays more in axx/boxes.

megabyteme
06-24-2010, 02:45 PM
yeap LOT higher than FSC. Both are 0-day and have same owner. But FTN has like 2x userbase, torrent, peers and probably pays more in axx/boxes.

Same owner? :huh:

Do you believe that 1200 euros is just the server cost? I would like to continue backing the site, but that seems like a lot. I would be happy to be wrong here...

IdolEyes787
06-24-2010, 02:47 PM
Same owner?

Quarterquack
06-24-2010, 02:53 PM
God.

karachidude
06-24-2010, 03:09 PM
same owner ?

this is intented to be spam,sorry :D

IdolEyes787
06-24-2010, 04:28 PM
God.

What's God going to do the the money? Hopefully not take a vacation he's barely holding things together as it is.

Burnsy
06-24-2010, 04:42 PM
Give every donator (at least 10euro) an invite like what they did 2-3months ago.
Problem solved. 250% and counting.

Correct me if I'm wrong... but didn't that effectively start a lot of the problems? Traders and other pieces of shit started donating with stolen Credit Card numbers, or donating with their own money and then filing a dispute once they got the invite to claim their money back?

I think you'd create far more problems... Invites should never be linked to donations imho.

X-Files
06-24-2010, 04:48 PM
SCC doing just fine selling invite. it just my humble opinion, it happen once to FTN before and they make record with donation, probably enough to survived 3-4month before their paypal has shutdown. A few problem is ok compare to need shutdown tracker (which more worst). again, just my opinion.

IdolEyes787
06-24-2010, 04:50 PM
Nice to hear from the authority on doing the right thing.:dry:

Quarterquack
06-24-2010, 05:03 PM
God.

What's God going to do the the money? Hopefully not take a vacation he's barely holding things together as it is.

I was talking to him yesterday, don't know if he was even listening, but he seemed pretty bent on selling invites to heaven. Something about not enough members.

Burnsy
06-24-2010, 05:04 PM
SCC doing just fine selling invite. it just my humble opinion, it happen once to FTN before and they make record with donation, probably enough to survived 3-4month before their paypal has shutdown. A few problem is ok compare to need shutdown tracker (which more worst). again, just my opinion.

Unfortunately though doesn't it all come down to those god forsaken 'levels' again?

How hard is it to get an FTN invite? How hard is it to get an SCC invite?

The rarer something is, the more unscrupulous people will be in making sure they get what they want. I'm pretty sure FTN would doing just fine operating the same was as SCC do, if they hadn't been such a closed off community for as long thus being as hard to come by.

I'm in no way judging FTN or 'blaming' them for their plight, it's a horrible situation to be in and I really hope they get it sorted

I was talking to him yesterday, don't know if he was even listening, but he seemed pretty bent on selling invites to heaven. Something about not enough members.

Don't think he'd get many more members around here, although he could always post in the trades section... and I hope he's not using PayPal :P lol

Quarterquack
06-24-2010, 05:07 PM
Unfortunately though doesn't it all come down to those god forsaken 'levels' again?

The rarer something is, the more unscrupulous people will be in making sure they get what they want. I'm pretty sure FTN would doing just fine operating the same was as SCC do, if they hadn't been such a closed off community for as long thus being as hard to come by.

I'm in no way judging FTN or 'blaming' them for their plight, it's a horrible situation to be in and I really hope they get it sorted

Dammit. If your post didn't follow mine so closely, people might have overlooked my hidden joke. :fist:

Burnsy
06-24-2010, 05:10 PM

Dammit. If your post didn't follow mine so closely, people might have overlooked my hidden joke. :fist:

Whoops, soz :P lol

babab007
06-24-2010, 09:07 PM

FSC doesnt pay for uploader seedboxes, uploaders chip in with their own boxes.....
not the case with FTN.

That1Guy
06-24-2010, 09:38 PM
FSC doesnt pay for uploader seedboxes, uploaders chip in with their own boxes.....
not the case with FTN.

That is true. fsc's donations are for the hosting only. Donations have nothing to do with providing any content. The members are solely responsible for the content and any servers used to up it. :D

Edit: to be clear I cant say what ftn spends their money on as I dont know :shrug:

That1Guy
06-24-2010, 09:45 PM
edit: could have deleted mine as well, as it makes no sense without that guys gibberish

megabyteme
06-24-2010, 10:49 PM
79% of X achieved. If X is a real number, and 1% of X is equal to 10 euros. Solve for X. Also, if a train is leaving the station when donations reach, 100%, will that train be containing said euros?*

*Actually, just joking here. I do wish FTN a long, continued, healthy relationship with this community. Their efforts are very much appreciated, and their ability to stand so much drama is highly respected.

Detale
06-25-2010, 02:34 AM
210 Euros then?

megabyteme
06-25-2010, 04:07 AM
210 Euros then?

Wrong. The correct answer was 5.8 km/hour. :mellow:

karachidude
06-25-2010, 05:43 AM
lol..20% more to go

Funkin'
06-25-2010, 06:26 AM
I'm sure they'll hit the 100%. But if staff doesn't loosen their tight grip around those invites, or restart the invite app process, to get some new blood, I have no doubt that the same tune will be played on the news page this time next month.

Something needs to change over there(there are so many great ideas being thrown out in the forums, but nothing being done). If not I have a feeling the site won't be around much longer, unfortunately.

karachidude
06-25-2010, 10:15 AM
I'm sure they'll hit the 100%. But if staff doesn't loosen their tight grip around those invites, or restart the invite app process, to get some new blood, I have no doubt that the same tune will be played on the news page this time next month.

Something needs to change over there(there are so many great ideas being thrown out in the forums, but nothing being done). If not I have a feeling the site won't be around much longer, unfortunately.

+1 exactly

nthpeter
06-25-2010, 11:49 AM
I cant believe that it has 4k+ members and there are less than 100 seeders on everything. FTN needs new blood i guess, and that way donations would go up, too.

karachidude
06-25-2010, 11:54 AM
is it really hard to get an invite to ftn ?

yeh,at the time 20-25 people have invites according to stats,and considering a lot of people want an invite,the odds are trim :)

nthpeter
06-25-2010, 12:03 PM

no, the easiest one to obtain.

C-mos
06-25-2010, 12:04 PM
ftn is not going down ;)

tippertime
06-25-2010, 03:02 PM

yeh,at the time 20-25 people have invites according to stats,and considering a lot of people want an invite,the odds are trim :)

yeah...right now the stats page says there are 25 invites in the wild...for all we know its 5 vips with 5 invites a piece

I can't believe those stats are right...:whistling

nthpeter
06-25-2010, 04:23 PM

yeah...right now the stats page says there are 25 invites in the wild...for all we know its 5 vips with 5 invites a piece

ViPs have all the invites? :(

Mokhtar
06-25-2010, 04:38 PM
hope FTN doesnt go down, it was hard hard to get invite. now i get invite and they try close after 2 month? not fair. no.

tippertime
06-25-2010, 05:49 PM

I dunno that for sure I was just guessing...I was invited by a power user so thats probably not accurate, I was just saying that I can't believe there are that few of invites in the wild...

obviously they need some fresh blood in the place

Enlightened
06-25-2010, 06:00 PM

I dunno that for sure I was just guessing...I was invited by a power user so thats probably not accurate, I was just saying that I can't believe there are that few of invites in the wild...

obviously they need some fresh blood in the place

Does NOT matter,F*N like a lot of Trackers need $$$ to survive for their Server's cost monthly.:yup:

In all my years @ F*N, Never have I sen them pitching so hard for Donations lately. Times must be bad...

QPD
06-25-2010, 06:13 PM
Brandon should let donations to reach @ 150 %

And no worries...last time they managed to reach 100% in less than 2 days...

FTN will not go down, not because of donations...

megabyteme
06-25-2010, 10:42 PM
http://i49.tinypic.com/2h683yr.jpg

Chief_Garbonzo
06-26-2010, 04:55 AM
I think they need to allow members to donate over 100%. It's like they are on a "Living from paycheck to paycheck" type of deal. Everyone knows that saving money is like a stepping stone of a bright future. They need a savings account. :P I also feel they need new blood. I'm not saying open the doors, or increase the user limit more than 500 people, but that new people is a chance for more donations, which is the blood of this tracker. So if its 94% now, I'm sure in the morning when I wake up it'll be 100%.

nthpeter
06-26-2010, 07:44 AM
I think they need to allow members to donate over 100%. It's like they are on a "Living from paycheck to paycheck" type of deal. Everyone knows that saving money is like a stepping stone of a bright future. They need a savings account. :P I also feel they need new blood. I'm not saying open the doors, or increase the user limit more than 500 people, but that new people is a chance for more donations, which is the blood of this tracker. So if its 94% now, I'm sure in the morning when I wake up it'll be 100%.

But this month they barely reach 100%, and this wont be any better till staff dont act.

The user limit is fine i think (1200 open spots atm), the bottleneck is the lack of invites.

Ippatsuman
06-26-2010, 08:50 AM
I also feel they need new blood

FTN don't need new blood at all.

Seed/leech stats are good,retention enough too.

karachidude
06-26-2010, 09:39 AM

shut up Ippa,it needs new blood :P

99%,it wont shut down this month..yaay :01: :01:

Ippatsuman
06-26-2010, 09:43 AM
Ohhhhhh Kara <3

I didn't see you since a so long time!

karachidude
06-26-2010, 09:45 AM
<3 my friend,always here for u <3

Ippatsuman
06-26-2010, 09:48 AM
Didn't see you from where we made our first kiss,our first date,our first anal...

I didn't noticed FTN had reached 99%,good news,but I hope staff will stop to give us ultimatum...

karachidude
06-26-2010, 09:54 AM
Didn't see you from where we made our first kiss,our first date,our first anal...

I didn't noticed FTN had reached 99%,good news,but I hope staff will stop to give us ultimatum...

Ippa :inlove:

the ultimatum would prolly stop know ,atleast till next month,they should really do somethin bout it..lol

Ippatsuman
06-26-2010, 10:04 AM
the ultimatum would prolly stop know ,atleast till next month,they should really do somethin bout it..lol

^^

Btw someone know approximatively how cost the hosting for FTN?

I'm just curious to know...

karachidude
06-26-2010, 10:09 AM

^^

Btw someone know approximatively how cost the hosting for FTN?

I'm just curious to know...

around 1000 to 12oo euro's mate,i guess

QPD
06-26-2010, 10:11 AM
Please Cabalo, close this useless thread !

Ippatsuman
06-26-2010, 10:17 AM

Because the thread is useless for you,it must be useless for all others members and be closed?

Strange for a forum...

nthpeter
06-26-2010, 10:44 AM

LOL. The last pages are full of reasons why it needs. And FTN has also a thread about it. Just some hints.

Donations are at 100%. Saved. For this month.

karachidude
06-26-2010, 11:14 AM

Because the thread is useless for you,it must be useless for all others members and be closed?

Strange for a forum...

cabalo would not close this thread,its just not how this forum is run my friend :happy:

Ippatsuman
06-26-2010, 11:25 AM
And FTN has also a thread about it. Just some hints.

Where the hell have you seen a thread about this on FTN forum?

I never seen it.

cabalo would not close this thread,its just not how this forum is run my friend

K :)

QPD
06-26-2010, 11:47 AM
Where the hell have you seen a thread about this on FTN forum?

I never seen it.

cabalo would not close this thread,its just not how this forum is run my friend

K :)
there is a forum... look in the right section!

Ippatsuman
06-26-2010, 01:14 PM
You were right QPD,I was wrong.

Apologizes :)

hagckz0r
06-26-2010, 01:26 PM
-nvm- :))

IdolEyes787
06-26-2010, 03:35 PM
Warning braincells may be seriously damaged by reading the previous dozen comments.

nthpeter
06-26-2010, 04:12 PM
Warning braincells may be seriously damaged by reading the previous dozen comments.

Those are the best comments on FST so far.

megabyteme
06-26-2010, 04:27 PM
***CAUTION- The next 5 posts will be COMPLETELY pointless, if not stupid.***

IdolEyes787
06-26-2010, 04:42 PM
+1:happy:

tippertime
06-26-2010, 05:16 PM
w00t! I just beat lost planet 2...

Cabalo
06-26-2010, 05:35 PM
So, FTN closed or not?:eyebrows:
I'll have to leave this thread open until next month, I guess.

Burnsy
06-26-2010, 06:11 PM
Wibble Wobble

sake
06-26-2010, 07:58 PM
So, FTN closed or not?:eyebrows:
I'll have to leave this thread open until next month, I guess.

Right :D :D

karachidude
06-26-2010, 09:01 PM
lol :D

Champo101
06-26-2010, 09:40 PM
If it was closing then I guess there is no reason for a certain thread on TI.
lol

nthpeter
06-27-2010, 07:30 AM
If it was closing then I guess there is no reason for a certain thread on TI.
lol

What would that be?

ps.: the last comment has been deleted, wondering why...