PDA

View Full Version : Random Freezing

S!X
04-29-2010, 09:33 PM
For the past few months my computer has been randomly freezing out of no where. Not sure what's causing this but it's starting to get annoying...here's the specs:

Corsair 520W PSU
AMD X2 4200 Manchester @2.77GHz w/Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro
XFX 8800GTS 320MB
ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe
OCZ Platinum EL PC3200 1GB 2X512MB DDR400
Seagate Barracuda SATA 250GB
Windows 7 Ultimate Edition

And a shot of the current hardware temps:

http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/6234/tempso.jpg

darkstate01
04-29-2010, 10:35 PM
Random glitches like that are usually dirty contacts on your hardware, Maybe a bit of dust has worked its way into something on the board, I know you don't want to here this but if you have the time over the weekend, take anything that is on the board like graphics cards/sound cards etc even your memory cards and give them a once over with some isopropyl or any other cleaning agent, and give all the board a blast of air to make sure its clean.
Years ago i kept on having this problem and it was a strand of fibre or hair that was wedged in the memory card, once removed it became stable.
And another time, it was my PSU that was past its sell by date,replaced that and it fixed the problem.

peat moss
04-30-2010, 12:29 AM
Sometimes its driver updates , or a file corrupted , try a memory test ? Me ? I'd take dark's advice and if that continues try a fresh install .

I can remember a similar problem and took a friends advice and reseated "all" my cards , memory too but took wax paper and rubbed along the Video card inserts ... sometimes its the simple things . Reinstall as a last resort of course . :D

darkstate01
04-30-2010, 12:44 AM
Don't even say reinstall, Thats a nightmare approach :)
check for a dusty board, re-seat and clean all your hardware/memory then do a virus check,Check your drivers are up to date, do as peat moss said about the memory test... Then as a nightmare last ditch effort do a re-install, but from your description its just a dirty contact,fingers crossed.

Detale
04-30-2010, 01:07 PM
Nightmare!? That's a bit harsh, it's not that bad at all dude. Yes usually it will fix what ailes ya, but personally I'm gonna take a stab and say the video driver. I have seen this again semingly out of no where and usually thats the issue.

Did this happen when you installed Win7 BTW?

S!X
04-30-2010, 06:24 PM

I've had Win7 installed for quite a while now and it just started doing this recently :dabs:

brilman
04-30-2010, 06:46 PM
[QUOTE=Detale;3444821]

Started doing that to me after a clean win7 install. Thought it may be the power supply but turns out it just needed a real good cleaning. Funny thing is I tell everyone to make sure they give there system a good blow job every now and then :naughty:

darkstate01
04-30-2010, 10:49 PM
Happy days, That damn dusty box, glad you are sorted, Its really trial and error with glitches like that.between software(drivers) and hardware (dust on the contacts)

Detale
05-01-2010, 05:41 AM

I've had Win7 installed for quite a while now and it just started doing this recently :dabs:

Do you gave the latest video drivers installed? If so roll them back and try, if not update them. I think this will work.

darkstate01
05-01-2010, 05:49 AM
Hey if its fixed why try and break it again?

Detale
05-01-2010, 04:43 PM
Where do you see anything was fixed? You're previous comment suggested as such but I just figured you were drunk or something.

darkstate01
05-02-2010, 01:24 AM
This is what brilman said "Thought it may be the power supply but turns out it just needed a real good cleaning."
I'm not drunk or something,just commenting on his fix, as far as S!X goes he hasn't got back so hopefully he's giving his system a good clean,we will see.

S!X
05-02-2010, 06:06 PM
I haven't totally dismantled my computer but I did open up my case and blew off most of the dust in there, on the mobo/fans/video card etc. I don't know if that helped or not, there really wasn't a lot in there. I haven't experienced any freezing episodes so far, but they happen out of no where. I'll report back if it happens again :dabs:

Detale
05-03-2010, 04:00 AM
This is what brilman said "Thought it may be the power supply but turns out it just needed a real good cleaning."
I'm not drunk or something,just commenting on his fix, as far as S!X goes he hasn't got back so hopefully he's giving his system a good clean,we will see.
Yeah but it's not brillmans prob bud. It's six's thread. Six chek the drivers dude

brilman
05-03-2010, 04:12 AM
Yeah but it's not brillmans prob bud. It's six's thread. Six chek the drivers dude

That was just a fix for me, it might be the drivers ya never know

darkstate01
05-03-2010, 05:32 AM
you never know,we are all trying our own examples to try and fix a fellows pc,hopefully 1 of us is right :) . But blowing the dust out of the box isn't going to fix the prob,you need to physically pull each card out and clean the contacts and blow the slot as well to make sure.

Appzalien
05-04-2010, 01:46 PM
Doing a good cleaning is always a good point to start, and if your careful its fairly safe. Beside blowing things out (If your system is such that you can remove four screws of the CPU fan to get at the heat sink its more efficient than just air using an old paint brush to get inside the fins), while your in there its a good idea to go around unplugging and reseating your hardware and connectors. Just pulling them and pushing back in (or really wiggling) is often enough to clean any oxidation manually. And stuff does vibrate loose on occasion. I had a drive that kept triggering SMART DRIVE that stopped after I replugged it, and simlar with a power supply that warned of voltages out of spec. The supply did eventually fail (Antec Basic with cheap chinese caps) but playing with the connections got me another year before I had to replace it.