PDA

View Full Version : Sony Sued for Removal of Linux Support From PS3

Darth Sushi
04-30-2010, 04:56 AM
http://media.bestofmicro.com/sad-penguin-linux,9-6-242682-1.jpgSony Sued for Removal of Linux Support From PS3
by Jane McEntegart , April 29, 2010

" Hands up who saw this one coming?

Dropping support for Linux on the PS3 has landed Sony in court. A class-action suit filed Tuesday in a San Francisco court (via IGN) (http://ps3movies.ign.com/ps3/document/article/108/1086720/gov.uscourts.cand.226894.1.0.pdf) claims that the intentional disablement of Other OS support constitutes a breach of sales contract as well as a breach of the covenant of good faith and fair dealing. Not only that, but the suit accuses Sony of inflicting unfair and deceptive business practices on "millions of unsuspecting customers."

"Sony knowingly and willingly accepted monetary benefits from Plaintiff and the Class, but Sony did not honor its obligations," reads the court document (line 17, page 12). "Rather, Sony benefited from the sales of PS3s with the Other OS function which it then forced purchasers to either disable or forgo other important PS3 functions."

"Under the circumstances described herein, it is inequitable for Sony to retain the full monetary benefit at the expenses of the Plaintiff and the Class," the complaint continues.

"By engaging in the conduct described above, Sony has been unjustly enriched at the expense of Plaintiff and the Class and is required, in equity and good conscience, to compensate the Plaintiff and the Class for harm suffered as a result of its actions."

The suit covers anyone who purchased a PS3 between November 17, 2006 and March 27, 2010 (though not if you sold your PS3 to someone in the meantime) and seeks compensatory damages, restitution, injuctive relief and legal fees. "

:source: Source: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/PlayStation-Linux-PS3-Xbox-Xbox-360,10311.html

bobbintb
04-30-2010, 03:03 PM
*raises hand*

Skiz
04-30-2010, 04:11 PM
Do people run Linux on their PS3's or something? :huh:

megabyteme
04-30-2010, 04:21 PM
Yes, you can. It was one of the reasons I chose the PS3 over the RROD-box. Linux support was never really usable because most of the processor was locked down, but I thought it was a nice alternative to M$'s bullshit (failing hardware).

I hope they get their asses handed to them for this. As for Sony, I'm done with 'em.

nosal
04-30-2010, 04:35 PM
I don't see how they somehow have to support linux.....it's their console....

megabyteme
04-30-2010, 05:27 PM
It was one of the features of the system. It would be like your cell phone no longer storing phone numbers because (whatever manufacturer) decided that would no longer be in its best interest.

I repeat- it was a selling feature of the system. I chose it, because I was interested in that feature. I no longer get what I paid for. Fuckers.

ulun64
04-30-2010, 06:38 PM
Nice lawsuit. I hope that's will teach Sony a good lesson.

bobbintb
04-30-2010, 09:06 PM
I don't see how they somehow have to support linux.....it's their console....

thats not the issue. its not that they arent "supporting" linux. one of the advertised original features was the ability to install another os. many people bought it for that reason. then they took it away without any choice. newer models did not have that feature, which is fine. but they removed the feature of all previous models that originally had it. its like your car company taking out the stock stereo after you bought it and drove it around for a few years.

v47
04-30-2010, 09:08 PM
woohoo :D

Eros-x
05-01-2010, 08:02 AM
WAAAAAAAHHHHH??? THEY TOOK AWAY MY LINUX?!?!
I HADN'T EVEN NOTICED!!!!!!
WHAT THE SHIT! IT'S THE REASON I BOUGHT THE PS3!!!

Na, just kidding. I have the phat-PS3; barely even used the "install other OS" Feature, so it doesn't effect me much. I can understand why some people are pissed though, they can't just take a feature like that out.

fileshatra
05-01-2010, 11:58 PM
Big loss.......