PDA

View Full Version : Windows 95 Original CD-Rom Download

Tempus9
05-01-2010, 12:43 AM
I have been looking for a Windows 95 CD ROM Image for the last couple of days. The only thing I can find is a boot disk. Do any of you know where I can find one? I want to create a VMWare image of Windows 95 so I can play some old games on my new computer.

Appreciate any help you can provide.

darkstate01
05-01-2010, 02:13 AM
Wow you are opening up a can of worms there. It should be fun seeing you try and get the drivers for this pile of crap. Instead of wasting your precious time on this planet, Go and do a search for the java based games you are looking for, I've seen sites around that do every old game known to man on there website.
http://www.hiren.info/funstuff/games/ as an example

TraLaLa
05-01-2010, 09:42 AM
on fl.ro there is a pack with all windows

Windows 95 C
Windows 95 B
Windows 95 B Floppy Edition
Windows 95 A
Windows 95 Original
Windows 95 Floppy Edition
Windows 95 Upgrade
Windows 95 Upgrade Floppy Edition

anon
05-01-2010, 04:19 PM
I have been looking for a Windows 95 CD ROM Image for the last couple of days. The only thing I can find is a boot disk. Do any of you know where I can find one?

There's one on TPB, and it's well-seeded.

Tempus9
05-01-2010, 05:54 PM
Wow you are opening up a can of worms there. It should be fun seeing you try and get the drivers for this pile of crap. Instead of wasting your precious time on this planet, Go and do a search for the java based games you are looking for, I've seen sites around that do every old game known to man on there website.
http://www.hiren.info/funstuff/games/ as an example

I had a Windows 95 VM on my laptop not long ago and it worked fine and I have a Windows 98 SE on my desktop and it, too, works fine. It misses a few things but the core stuff works. You'd be surprised.

I have been looking for a Windows 95 CD ROM Image for the last couple of days. The only thing I can find is a boot disk. Do any of you know where I can find one?

There's one on TPB, and it's well-seeded.

Thanks. I swear I had searched there but apparently I'm blind. Downloading now.

darkstate01
05-02-2010, 01:26 AM
Tempus9 i am surprised, well done on getting it working.

Tempus9
05-03-2010, 11:54 PM

Didn't say I could get it working again, haha. My new Dell Inspiron Desktop won't even install it properly. Durn.

Appzalien
05-04-2010, 03:44 AM
If you really want to run some older games just be observant for a while and eventually you'll find a PC in the trash thats too old to do anything else. If you drive around on trash day a few times your bound to find one. Heck for that matter you could probably place an ad in the paper and get 200 calls for "just come and get it I don't want it". And the 95 disk will be there with one of them I'd bet along with games and other stuff. just remember 95 has some limitations, no sata, early usb and the hard drive has to be what? 32gig max? maybe less (was it 98 that was 32gig?) although you can partition it into smaller parts. I've got a few around that would probably like 95 on them.

Tempus9
05-04-2010, 09:26 PM
If you really want to run some older games just be observant for a while and eventually you'll find a PC in the trash thats too old to do anything else. If you drive around on trash day a few times your bound to find one. Heck for that matter you could probably place an ad in the paper and get 200 calls for "just come and get it I don't want it". And the 95 disk will be there with one of them I'd bet along with games and other stuff. just remember 95 has some limitations, no sata, early usb and the hard drive has to be what? 32gig max? maybe less (was it 98 that was 32gig?) although you can partition it into smaller parts. I've got a few around that would probably like 95 on them.

I have one with a really old version of Debian Linux on it that originally came with Windows 95. It's just REALLY old and extremely slow. I also have a dead one at work that I think would take 95, but I'm not entirely sure. Was just hoping I could get a VM to work so I wouldn't have to fool with multiple machines. It gets hot enough in here with just one PC in my bedroom and 2 (laptop and media) in the living room.

tesco
05-05-2010, 10:33 PM

Didn't say I could get it working again, haha. My new Dell Inspiron Desktop won't even install it properly. Durn.
Why doesn't it install?
I'm sure it's not a hardware limitation, as you're using vmware.
Does your version of vmware not support windows 95 anymore? Maybe you need to use an older version?

Tempus9
05-06-2010, 10:43 PM
Why doesn't it install?
Does your version of vmware not support windows 95 anymore? Maybe you need to use an older version?

It does. It picks the CD up as Windows 95 installation media. The problem I'm running into, for starters, is after the install process finishes, it asks for the Windows 95 CD and when I point it at the CD drive (on the VM), it doesn't find a file it's looking for. I can cancel through it, but it hoses stuff up. Then VM Tools doesn't install properly and it goes downhill from there...

Appzalien
05-09-2010, 09:24 PM
Why doesn't it install?

It does. It picks the CD up as Windows 95 installation media. The problem I'm running into, for starters, is after the install process finishes, it asks for the Windows 95 CD and when I point it at the CD drive (on the VM), it doesn't find a file it's looking for. I can cancel through it, but it hoses stuff up. Then VM Tools doesn't install properly and it goes downhill from there...

Ah! the old missing file error. I used to get that with 98SE alot as well. The thing is that 99% of the time the file is there but the scanner that looks for it is either looking in the wrong place or doesn't scan the whole disk. I used to get by this error with alot of manual searching. 95 is the same as 98SE, when it can't find a file it brings up a browser for you to use and in the browsers bottom window is the name of the file it wants. Now the painful part is to go thru the disk manually looking for the file and with the file name in the little window at the bottom and the file found showing at the top you will eventually get there (it might be the other way around its been awhile). Unfortunately when this happens with one file and you find it, afterwords a few others have to be done the same way. Once I had to manually find about a dozen files to get an install to work. Another way is to use another pc to search the disk so it helps you to know the path to the missing file. It doesn't always work but when it does its much faster.

Beeker
05-09-2010, 09:26 PM
what would any one want to do with windows 95

anon
05-09-2010, 09:31 PM
Well, it appears Tempus9 wants to install it.

Tempus9
05-10-2010, 10:35 PM
Yes, I do. To play old games on.