PDA

View Full Version : BREIN Wants Usenet Provider To Start Filtering

Rart
05-01-2010, 07:32 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/7/78/BREIN_logo.jpg/200px-BREIN_logo.jpgBREIN Wants Usenet Provider To Start Filtering
May 01, 2010

" In recent months there have been several attempts by anti-piracy groups to force file-sharing sites to filter links from their systems. But now in a bold move by Dutch anti-piracy group BREIN, there are demands that a Usenet provider should proactively filter infringing content from the worldwide newsgroup system.

For the music and movie industries, the blocking of file-sharing websites and/or the filtering of links they carry is fast becoming a fashionable weapon of choice. Perhaps the most famous example was the assault on Mininova, which culminated in the site having to remove huge numbers of torrents which may (or indeed may not) point to copyright content.

That action was forced by Dutch anti-piracy group BREIN who are making more than their fair share of headlines recently, and who are about to make even more. While successfully demanding that Mininova remove links to infringing content, BREIN have never really made inroads into getting the actual infringing content removed from the Internet – but all that could be about to change.

In a fairly bold move even by their standards, the anti-piracy group headed up by Tim Kuik has initiated legal action to force a Usenet service provider, much like Giganews or Newshosting, to start proactively filtering content from the worldwide newsgroup system.

The small seven-employee Usenet company News-Service.com is being sued by BREIN on claims that it facilitates copyright infringement and is demanding that the company ceases to offer copyright material or face fines of 50,000 euros per day.

Technical director of News-Service.com Patrick Schreurs strongly refutes BREIN’s claims and says that his company only provides access to Usenet and maintains that it is a mere conduit of information.

“BREIN’s move is comparable to suing a postal service for shipping illicit goods,” he said.

Schreurs’ assertion that trying to check up to 20 million daily Usenet messages is an impossibility raises a very real concern. If a legal requirement to filter perfectly, as was the case with Mininova, is implemented against News-Service (on pain of 50,000 euros per day in fines) the company could not carry this burden for long. If BREIN gets their way, Schreurs says the company will have to stop providing Usenet access.

News-Service already operates a Notice-and-Takedown system but, as was the case with Mininova, BREIN is not satisfied with its scope or performance.

“We were under the assumption that with this procedure we met the wishes of BREIN and that we would work on a solution together,” said Schreurs. “We regret the fact that BREIN has chosen a different course with this [legal] action.”

The case, the first of its type against a Usenet provider in The Netherlands, was heard on April 19th and the judge is expected to announce his decision early next month. "

:source: Source: BREIN Wants Usenet Provider To Start Filtering (http://torrentfreak.com/brein-wants-usenet-provider-to-start-filtering-100501/):view: Homepage: TorrentFreak (http://torrentfreak.com)

fileshatra
05-02-2010, 12:11 AM
This fuckin filtering, and stop!

taniquetil
05-02-2010, 02:13 AM
I guess we can close down all the highways too because people can use them to transport illegal goods.

Rart
05-02-2010, 04:04 AM
I guess we can close down all the highways too because people can use them to transport illegal goods.

Pretty much.

And the postal system, while we're at it.

darkstate01
05-02-2010, 04:53 AM
You forgot the shutting down of the telephone networks as well, Now how many illegal transactions go on down a telephone network a day mmmm let me think about that 1.

iLOVENZB
05-02-2010, 05:47 AM
It's not going to work. Usenet binaries aren't all on just one server.

Read this Wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet#Technical_details

I wonder how this will go in courts about Freedom of speech? As most of Usenet users know, the alt.binaries.* aren't solely used for distributing binaries. There are spam posts and genuine posts which aren't copyrighted and then theres the discussion aspect of Usenet.

darkmawl
05-02-2010, 08:26 AM
BREIN is just getting worse and worse. Peeking over to the US and how they do so an trying to enforce the same rules. Luckily we have one ISP who actually bother to fight back. Actually looking into topics and handing over hard figures to our politicization to show why not to make all those foolish decisions. (Like the filtering of all information and the warning system)

Latest of there action consist of creating an citizens initiative (If enough people sign it the the politicization are forced to look into the matter!) with states that the movie and music industry should be forced to release there product on the internet for a reasonable price at the same time they release the physical product. The initiative also states that the those industries have long enough tried to force the public instead of adapting.

It will most likely get enough votes, but pretty sure it will not actually become law. At least we can do sometimes even so small :P Shamefully groups like BREIN actually only have work and function if there is piracy. They depend on the same business they are fighting. If they win they lose as they have no need to exist. The problem with this is that those groups have no need to actually fight the problem at the roots (with are the Movie and film industries and there lack of evolving.). They are simply payed to clean the smoke. They have no incentive to put the fire out as this would make them jobless.

SonsOfLiberty
05-02-2010, 05:31 PM

Pretty much.

And the postal system, while we're at it.

Yes indeedy, UPS ships weed (:lol: maybe not the real UPS), semi's transported enourmous sums of cash in the tires, don't forgot to close down the some streets in New York/China since that's where most "boot leg" DVD's come from, also stop the car companies from making cars, because they kill people :lol: the list could literally go on and on and on and on and on.

Usenet, is what's so great there are more than 1 and content is on more than 1 server, besides Brein has nothing do with where I live so it will not affect me.

sendleech
05-08-2010, 10:20 PM
Hello iam dutch and i now brein is goining after newsgroups and index machin`s like ftd dutch idex machine,
But newgroups are legal en are so old if he want to stop it al then alle internet providers can stop downloading is legal uploading tekst files oke but he has a problem only want be send is tekst and with onther program make it een onther file now newsgroups he `can`t do anything about it
Pffff mister tim kuik has al lot to worry about,
and filtering newsgroups do you realy think providers gone do that now
then all customers are gone

And sorry my englisch is not zo good

Beeker
05-09-2010, 09:49 PM
if they did do this you know they would be like oops missed that one or sorry staff wasnt around for a week to delete it lol

kingeater
05-11-2010, 06:23 PM
Hehe, this is getting a tad ridiculous. There is no way they could ever accomplish this. Best they could do is shut down or get censored a couple of companies in the Netherlands, and all that does is ship others to Antigua, Estonia, and other fun countries that aren't all that concerned with international copyright law :P

Expeto
05-11-2010, 07:51 PM
Well, I guess they can take down a USENET provider easier than a torrent site.

iLOVENZB
05-12-2010, 08:41 AM
Well, I guess they can take down a USENET provider easier than a torrent site.

How so?

c0ld
05-12-2010, 10:36 AM
It's telling that they are going after a small provider that can't mount a strong defence. If they tried the same with one of the bigger providers they'd lose. This way they get to set an easy precedent, which they can use to win future cases with ease.

Dantesean
05-12-2010, 11:41 AM
A fuck brein,
I live in the Netherlands... So if they do something, they will do it on us FIRST.....