PDA

View Full Version : Norton Security Suite

coldnorth
05-04-2010, 02:25 AM
My McAfee has expired and now my net provider is offering Norton Security Suite free. Just wondering what everyone thinks about it? I used Norton's a few years back and was not impressed. Has it improved?

db_la_23
05-04-2010, 12:19 PM
use KIS 2010 its good.

cappy
05-04-2010, 01:25 PM
norton slows our system like any thing
so i too suggest kaspersky internet security

Appzalien
05-04-2010, 01:28 PM
I started out with Symantec but got tired of its resource hogging. According to a few PC Magazine reviews (a grain of salt here, remember they advertise in the Mag) they have improved greatly since then. My ex-Boss uses Norton, the full one, and I was working on his PC and it seemed ok, maybe a tad slow on startup but you can expect that with a full secutrity suite.

Since its free, I say give it a shot, save an image of your C drive before installing it though so you can get back if needs be. That's why I store all my data on another drive besides C and do alot of installing to D:\Program Files instead, so I can keep my C image small and clean. Stuff like Firewalls and Anti-Virus and anything else that can potentially screw up, go to C:\Program files though. That way I can get rid of it either with a System Restore or bring back an image.

At this point with MS trying to disable XP so you have to buy new, I always resave my C drive image before I update just to be safe. They have already ruined System Restore so you have to do it from safemode, and who knows how long that will work. I really believe these last critical updates are more meant to disable XP or at least make it a sour grape than to help protect you. I figure I can always have an off line PC running XP SP1 or 2 (SP1 was sweet) just for games meant for that era and even with a Win98se partition for those older games too, so don't throw away those old OS disks. the Cloud will ruin everything in the near futre if we make it past the Galactic Alignment.

karachidude
05-04-2010, 08:28 PM
Norton has improved massively,its sleeker,faster,lighter,use it it to believe it :)

peat moss
05-06-2010, 01:11 AM
Norton has improved massively,its sleeker,faster,lighter,use it it to believe it :)

I'll pass thanks , A leopard can't change it's spots .

Tv Controls you
05-06-2010, 01:36 AM
Norton is worse than a virus, and is the most bloating trashy software ever released.

I don't care what they changed on it.

You nearly need to reformat to remove all traces of it!!!!

nod32, kaspersky, even avast free antivirus is better than this garbage

Moviefan
05-06-2010, 02:14 PM
You didn't mention your computers specs so...
If you have a modern computer with 2 or more cores and decent available RAM then you can't beat NIS 2010.
Although it's much less of a resource hog than some earlier (2007-2008) versions- it can really slow down single core laptops and desktop computers. I've installed it on some older laptop's and desktops then unfortunately had to remove it due to the performance hit.

If you have a single core CPU- try freeware Comodo Internet Security (http://www.comodo.com/home/internet-security/free-internet-security.php). It does a good job of keeping the nasty stuff out, and it doesn't seem to slow down single core CPU's much at all.

Tv Controls you
05-11-2010, 02:01 AM
You didn't mention your computers specs so...

I don't care if you have a super computer....

btw.
intel core i7 clocked at 2.67 per core (8 cores)
12 gb of ram
9800 gtx nvidia 512 mb dedicated..

rest of specs are on my bio page.

....bottom line my machine can handle it, but it's such trashy software that I format a machine that has it installed (I'm not even joking).