PDA

View Full Version : Merlins portal gone now too?

MaddogBC
05-04-2010, 02:08 PM
Hoping it's coincidence but I can't seem to get into Merlins Portal last couple days, anyone have any info? A disturbing trend, I'm hoping this isn't a sign of things to come...

ipa
05-04-2010, 02:17 PM
It seems to be just a database error. No need to panic.

buckiforlife
05-04-2010, 04:34 PM
I've been wondering about that too. Was down most of yesterday too, but I won't panic until someone tells me I need to. ;)

Cabalo
05-04-2010, 04:44 PM
It's just a mysql error. It should be sorted out soon.

heaveyhaul
05-04-2010, 05:22 PM
I hope so real good site

MaddogBC
05-05-2010, 03:30 AM
Very nice, damn fear of persecution might lead a guy to feel like a criminal one o these days :)

They're up but not recognizing my login info for some reason /shrug

Cabalo
05-05-2010, 03:24 PM
It's amazing the amount of sites who don't keep an up to date backup of their databases. And I thought it was standard procedure everywhere.
Good ol' tesco.

maddyks
05-08-2010, 01:37 AM
They're back up. A database error. They have restored the site but lost 3 months of uploads, posts, registrations etc.

DARKSOLSTICE
05-09-2010, 03:38 PM
its still not working, its almost like a denial of service attack, I click on the link and it takes up to 5 min to load, if it dosen't time out, but the min. you click on any link such as to report the problem or download nzbs or any link at all it times out and blank page is what you get, it sucks I can't even report the problem to anybody !!

mr.Dman
05-09-2010, 04:22 PM
Well,
It works fine for me I just tested it out

Twisted84
05-14-2010, 10:05 AM
My account got deleted. Quite some hassle to get a new one as it i couldn't register a new one as the database recognized my ip.. Merlin helped out greatly though!

blmpclrk
06-13-2010, 04:09 PM
Not grave digging here but this is the subject I would have posted.

I haven't been able to get on MP for 2 days now. Anyone know what's going on there?

Rart
06-13-2010, 04:12 PM
No worries, as long as its relevant to the thread.

MP isn't loading for me as well. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Mpeace
06-20-2010, 12:51 AM
I take it mp is now gone the way of the dead?

Cabalo
06-20-2010, 03:29 AM
Not loading here either...

whiteboy
06-20-2010, 04:18 PM
Damn my favorite site.

bonkers
06-20-2010, 07:47 PM
nzbs .org aint working either there all dropping like flies :(

c0ld
06-20-2010, 07:56 PM
nzbs .org aint working either there all dropping like flies :(

Fine here.

NewMoon
06-20-2010, 08:47 PM
Works for me

Windy72
06-20-2010, 09:17 PM
Merlins is down has been for about a week. It did have message about three nights ago to say they where working on the issue. I hope they are still working on it.

browney
06-21-2010, 06:21 AM
So have they gone down for good?

MultiForce
06-22-2010, 10:40 PM
The site was up for a short time within the last day with the same msg as before so I don't think they have given up (yet).

Mpeace
06-24-2010, 06:13 AM
Thanks for the update Multi

VSpace
06-24-2010, 10:58 AM
I miss you MP ..

get well soon. :cry:

Windy72
06-27-2010, 08:03 PM
Dam it still down. Merlins was a clean site site. I hate scrolling through sites that contain pron! :pinch:

FST way to go :fst:

byneco
06-30-2010, 11:18 PM
now not working

terminator2
07-03-2010, 08:12 AM
Unfortunatley MP has closed, but myself and some of the other members have now opened www.jfen.co.uk as a replacement. We will never be MP but hope it will be as clean and user friendly.

chalice
07-03-2010, 08:32 AM
Unfortunatley MP has closed, but myself and some of the other members have now opened www.jfen.co.uk (http://www.jfen.co.uk) as a replacement. We will never be MP but hope it will be as clean and user friendly.

Good man. Cheers for the info.

Been wondering wot the fuck was up, like.

Cabalo
07-03-2010, 11:35 AM
Unfortunatley MP has closed, but myself and some of the other members have now opened www.jfen.co.uk (http://www.jfen.co.uk) as a replacement. We will never be MP but hope it will be as clean and user friendly.
Man, Merlin's will be sorely missed. :(

DARKSOLSTICE
07-05-2010, 05:58 PM
found this about Merlin's Portal, its from Merlin,I hope it's ok to repost this

Thought as always i would break the mold like most owners of a site that just vanish.

Most important thing and first thing is to say thankyou to all merlins portal staff past and present, mostly past as without them and there hard work in the early days merlins portal would not have became the site it did, the present site staff at time off going for there unselfish and dedicated work.

Reasons Why?
As zing mentioned above most of the reasons but the final nail was indeed the constant abuse daily for a service we all worked hard at to make it work, database was the major issue in the end and it finally went tits up after throwing massive amount of my own money, countless sleepless nights the decision had to be made to close it. This decison did not come lighlty and after much sole searching and a few chats with trusted friends and staff i let what has my baby go.

I put my life and sole and in the end almost put my marriage of 24 years at risk as did others into merlins portal for almost 5 years and it was time to move on.

In the final days i did transfer money from my own bank account and returned 100+ donations going back as far as six weeks but with all the expenses involved trying to save the site even i have limited personal funds but as a person i felt it was my duty to the members to return as many as i financially could, if i missed you i am sorry but the nature of how the site was financed to keep it free for the mass.

Merlins Portal was a unique site with some unique and fantastic members and i met some fantastic friends whom i will be catching up with sooner or later.

Yes i took 2/3 weeks out to clear my head as it hurt to close the site i loved so much and anyone that actually knew me would not deny me that.

Will i be opening a NZB site again? NO but i may join the new new site as a member and make myself known to Terminator, pnp spreader and co and may help and assist them if required or indeed if they want my help.

I hope this puts to bed the rumours i ran with the money (i wish) in fact the site owed me in the end and 1 month on i am still paying bills for the site but thankfully almost all taken care off now.

Owning and running merlins portal was a blast and will forever hold a special place with myself as will the majority of good members.

DasFox
07-06-2010, 01:26 AM
You know what I find really strange about sites closing like this is, you mean to tell me there wasn't ONE person in the higher ranks that wanted to take it over, not a SINGLE ONE?

I think that's rubbish, there's no reason to close something like this, pass it on to someone else...

What a waste...

VSpace
07-09-2010, 12:30 AM
found this about Merlin's Portal, its from Merlin,I hope it's ok to repost this

Thought as always i would break the mold like most owners of a site that just vanish.

Most important thing and first thing is to say thankyou to all merlins portal staff past and present, mostly past as without them and there hard work in the early days merlins portal would not have became the site it did, the present site staff at time off going for there unselfish and dedicated work.

Reasons Why?
As zing mentioned above most of the reasons but the final nail was indeed the constant abuse daily for a service we all worked hard at to make it work, database was the major issue in the end and it finally went tits up after throwing massive amount of my own money, countless sleepless nights the decision had to be made to close it. This decison did not come lighlty and after much sole searching and a few chats with trusted friends and staff i let what has my baby go.

I put my life and sole and in the end almost put my marriage of 24 years at risk as did others into merlins portal for almost 5 years and it was time to move on.

In the final days i did transfer money from my own bank account and returned 100+ donations going back as far as six weeks but with all the expenses involved trying to save the site even i have limited personal funds but as a person i felt it was my duty to the members to return as many as i financially could, if i missed you i am sorry but the nature of how the site was financed to keep it free for the mass.

Merlins Portal was a unique site with some unique and fantastic members and i met some fantastic friends whom i will be catching up with sooner or later.

Yes i took 2/3 weeks out to clear my head as it hurt to close the site i loved so much and anyone that actually knew me would not deny me that.

Will i be opening a NZB site again? NO but i may join the new new site as a member and make myself known to Terminator, pnp spreader and co and may help and assist them if required or indeed if they want my help.

I hope this puts to bed the rumours i ran with the money (i wish) in fact the site owed me in the end and 1 month on i am still paying bills for the site but thankfully almost all taken care off now.

Owning and running merlins portal was a blast and will forever hold a special place with myself as will the majority of good members.

I feel for ya Merlin, best of luck and thanks for everything.

thanks Dark

whiteboy
07-09-2010, 05:53 PM
At least he made a statement unlike most owners. So whats this new site that Terminator is making?

OldIronTits
07-17-2010, 01:22 AM
Thank you Dark for your hard work.

I will miss this site. Is there any other place where you can browse specific (news)groups without seeing crossposts?

Fmylife - MP will be missed.

Good luck, Dark, with everything else in your life. Ultimately, I am sure it is more worthwhile a pursuit in the end.

bonkers
07-17-2010, 07:03 AM
At least he made a statement unlike most owners. So whats this new site that Terminator is making?

this is the one terminator has made

http://www.jfen.co.uk/forum.php

MultiForce
07-17-2010, 11:27 AM
I will miss this site. Is there any other place where you can browse specific (news)groups without seeing crossposts?

Like this?
http://www.nzbindex.nl/groups/

soks
07-17-2010, 06:31 PM
It's really bad news.. MP was one of the bests sites for NZBs!

What a waste..

whiteboy
07-17-2010, 09:32 PM

this is the one terminator has made

http://www.jfen.co.uk/forum.phpthanks

JustDOSE
09-08-2010, 07:14 PM
personally merlins was a good site in the beginning, but then the staff started random bans and ip banning people for stupid reasons, then merlin got greedy. it was one of my fav site years ago but then it turned to a place where you felt pushed over by the mods and admin. in the end greed is was did the beast in. i dont belive he returned the the donations(probably to the admins/his personal friends) sad to see it go... not really because their is much better and friendlier sites out their.

Fishy2
09-08-2010, 07:33 PM
Another bites the dust, sad to see any site go down but there are others out there waiting for good users :-) Good luck all