PDA

View Full Version : Error 502 - Your per-user connection limit reached (astraweb)

Mr Kennedy
05-04-2010, 07:52 PM
Never had this problem in 3 years or so, have submitted a ticket but thought would ask here too.

Always been using 20 connections on the EU ssl server. I have tried all these with no effect at all.

First changed to the main and US servers, both SSL and normal
Changed the connections to 8 then 1 and still nothing (only using 1 server)
Changed the ports on all servers.

Any ideas what might be causing this?

thanks

bonkers
05-04-2010, 09:24 PM
i had this and it said i was bringing down to many headers so i stopeed connnection for about 10 mins or so reconnected and it was fine hope this helps it also said i had to many vconnections if i remember rightly so just use about 10 -15 nowadays and its fine

Beck38
05-04-2010, 11:20 PM
Always been using 20 connections on the EU ssl server. I have tried all these with no effect at all.

You are violating one of the BASIC rules of attaching to usenet servers:

"Use only the amount of connections that swamps your internet connection"

What that means is, unless you have a pipe that exceeds 100Mb/s, that at most 3-5 connections should be way more than enough. Start up your usenet client, and while watching your throughput, start off with ONE connection and slowly add one at a time until you 'swamp' your connection.

Then, if you're < 5 or so, add an additional one to 'smooth out' the link.

I've NEVER used more than 3 connections, and that easily swamps my feeble connection (MUCH less than 100Mb/s). Using 20 connections actually REDUCES your throughput, and puts unnecessary strain on both your machine AND the server you're connected to.

I'm sure when the techs at Astraweb get back to you, they'll echo what I just said.

Mr Kennedy
05-05-2010, 05:26 PM
Ah right, never knew that. It came back on anyway and have changed them from 20 to 7. 6 maxed out my connection but was dropping a bit but 7 seems perfect.

Thanks